CBA deal progressing

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
The additional comments on how the expanded playoffs might look is interesting.

———

NFLPA tells players of agreement with league on changes to NFL’s drug and disciplinary policies

The NFL Players Association told its members in a memo Thursday that it has reached tentative agreements with the league and owners on some issues, including “significant modifications” to the league’s drug and disciplinary policies, in negotiations on a new collective bargaining agreement. Some differences still must be resolved for the CBA to be completed.

That prospective CBA could include a 17-game regular season, a reduced preseason and an expanded playoff field as proposed by the NFL, according to the memo sent to players by DeMaurice Smith, the NFLPA’s executive director.

“While we remain committed to the bargaining process, the major issues separating us are significant enough that we cannot recommend to our membership that we should accept a deal in this state at this time,” Smith wrote in the memo, a copy of which was obtained by The Washington Post and other media organizations.

Representatives of the league and the NFLPA have been negotiating for months, attempting to avoid a repeat of their bitter labor confrontation before they struck a 10-year deal in 2011. Owners locked out players before that CBA, whichruns through next season.

Since mid-November, hopes have been buoyed that a deal perhaps is within reach by the Super Bowl. If no agreement is struck by then, the next goal for the two sides appears to be early March, when the new league year begins and the free agent market opens. The NFLPA elects new player leadership at its annual meeting later that month, with former offensive lineman Eric Winston no longer eligible to serve as president. The dynamics at the bargaining table could change if there’s no deal in place by then.

There has been a feeling among those close to the discussions that an agreement remains possible, but its completion depends on the willingness of the two sides to make the final remaining compromises.

One aspect of the deal involves an arrangement by which the players would receive approximately 48 percent of league revenue under the salary cap system, according to people familiar with the negotiations. That is the central economic issue of the bargaining and if it is resolved, it is widely believed that the rest of the deal could fall into place quickly.

The NFLPA memo said there already are agreements in place on changes to the drug and player disciplinary policies. The memo did not specify the modifications, but those familiar with the negotiations have said there is likely to be a less punitive approach in the league’s marijuana policy.

Players have been seeking to reduce NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell’s authority in player discipline. Goodell is empowered to make disciplinary rulings and resolve players’ appeals of those rulings. The league and owners have been receptive to reducing Goodell’s authority in matters involving the personal conduct policy (for off-field misconduct by players) but not in cases involving integrity-of-the-game issues, according to those with knowledge of the deliberations. That could mean that players’ appeals of disciplinary measures could be resolved through third-party arbitration.

The NFLPA memo said the negotiations, “thus far have proceeded with the NFL conditioning proposed increases in economics and other improvements on a potential 17 game model, with reduced preseason games and potentially an expanded playoff schedule.”

Owners turned to the 17-game proposal after abandoning efforts to secure an 18-game regular season. It’s possible that, under a 17-game model, each team would play one neutral-site game per season. Owners believe a longer regular season would be an attractive selling point to TV networks, and serve as a significant revenue-boosting measure for the NFL, offsetting any revenue loss from a shortened preseason.

The playoff field could be increased from 12 to 14 teams, resulting in two additional opening-round postseason games (with two fewer teams being given first-round playoff byes) per year. With six first-round playoff games instead of the current four, it’s possible that one would be played on a Monday night.

According to the NFLPA memo, there also are tentative agreements with the league on provisions to increase the guaranteed portion of revenue that players would receive; increases in players’ minimum salaries and performance-based pay; changes to teams’ offseason schedules and further restrictions on hitting during training camps; reductions in fines for on-field infractions; and “significant” increases in players’ benefits.

The memo states the major issues still separating the two sides in negotiations include the maximum percentage of revenue that players could receive; team’ cash spending requirements for player payrolls; pension issues; further increases of minimum salaries; a removal of the funding rule for teams related to money being placed in escrow to cover guaranteed player contracts; rules related to players chosen in the first round of the NFL draft and restricted free agents; and a liability waiver proposed by the league.

“This is the status as negotiations continue between our union and the NFL,” Smith wrote to players. “I will update you as negotiations continue and will recommend an agreement only when our Executive Committee and I are confident it is the best available one for all players.”

Tano

Legend
The winning team that plays the Monday night game in the playoffs would have a severe disadvantage imo.

Kevin

Pro Bowler
It's hard to tell if the owner's proposal to have a 17-game schedule includes an expanded playoff format, or if the Washington Post author is just throwing that out there to generate clicks and posts.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They need to add an extra bye week, not just reduce the preseason.

And with an extra bye week extending the season a week even with teams still playing 16 games, that would add extra tv revenue AND likely improve the quality of play.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Pro Bowl players against proposed 17-game schedule: 'It doesn't make sense'

Several players at the Pro Bowl are speaking out against the 17-game regular-season schedule NFL owners have proposed during collective bargaining agreement (CBA) negotiations.

"When I talk to the guys, I don't think many people want to do it," Jacksonville Jaguars defensive lineman Calais Campbell told ESPN's Jenna Laine and Michael DiRocco. "Really, you talk to guys and I don't think anybody wants to do it. It's going to be very, very tough. I know the ownership's really hard on it.

"We're definitely talking, trying to figure out what we need to do, how we can make this thing work. It's going to be a process, but 17 (games), that's very tough."

The expansion of the regular season has been one of the greatest sticking points between the NFL and NFL Players Association. Owners have offered players a shorter preseason in exchange for an extra week in the regular season.

"Most of the starters don't play in that last (preseason) game anyway, so if you take away that one preseason game, you're not taking away anything for us," said Baltimore Ravens guard Marshal Yanda. "You're just adding a game. I'm not for the extra game.

"I think the game's long enough. It's physical enough, tough enough on people's bodies to play 16 games and also playoffs, so I'm just not for that. I understand that it's going to be hard to stop it, but I'm not for increasing the games at all."

The league and union were reportedly aiming to reach a new agreement by Super Bowl LIV on Feb. 2, but that timeline doesn't appear realistic. The existing CBA runs through the 2020 season, after which the NFL could face its second work stoppage in 11 years.

"I don't have the answers, but I think if the NFL says they care about player safety and tell the parents of kids in youth football how much they care about player safety, then it doesn't make sense to play football without more rest," Atlanta Falcons tight end Austin Hooper said. "So it'll be interesting to see if their actions align with their words."

Hooper added: "I mean, the NFL is coming under a lot of player scrutiny - there's a lot of former players taking their own lives and having a lot of issues - and their answer now is to play more football and have more traumatic brain injuries. If they care as much as they say they do publicly, I feel that they should add another bye week."

Minnesota Vikings defensive end Danielle Hunter shared similar thoughts.

"I would say they need to give us a longer offseason, shorten down OTAs," he said. "If they're gonna do that, make OTAs less weeks - and give us more bye weeks during the season - that would be OK with me. They've gotta take something away, because the season just ended for me last week.

"I got 14 weeks until I'm back to football again. The (regular) season is like 16 weeks (plus a bye), plus the preseason - that's 21 weeks. And then you come back in the offseason for OTAs - that's another three months - so 14 weeks is not enough."

The 2020 Pro Bowl takes place Sunday, seven days before Super Bowl LIV caps the 2019 campaign.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

the poor babies.

getting paid millions to play a game and 3+ months break isn't enough for them.

plus another month between otas and training camp.

my heart bleeds for them.

Kevin

Pro Bowler

the poor babies.

getting paid millions to play a game and 3+ months break isn't enough for them.

plus another month between otas and training camp.

my heart bleeds for them.

Tough talk from a guy on the couch. Jealous much?

Ram65

Legend
That last article was very interesting.

The players are negotiating through the press here. I'm not behind expanding the season. I didn't think OTAs are that big of a deal. They don't have contact. It seems like training to stay in shape would be a benefit.

"I got 14 weeks until I'm back to football again. The (regular) season is like 16 weeks (plus a bye), plus the preseason - that's 21 weeks. And then you come back in the offseason for OTAs - that's another three months - so 14 weeks is not enough."

Nice vacation time.

I'm not for expanding the season anyway. I would like to see a fast resolution to resigning the CBA so we can move on.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I think that an extra bye week makes all kinds of sense, if we're going to an eighteen-game schedule (and therefore cutting two preseason games).

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

NFLPA to meet Thursday with board of player reps to talk CBA

NFL Players Association leaders have scheduled an important meeting Thursday morning with the board of player representatives to discuss the status of collective bargaining talks and get the board's input on how to proceed, according to sources familiar with the plan.

It's a significant step after months of formal and informal bargaining sessions between the union and the NFL, which continues to push for the option to expand the regular season to 17 games as part of the next TV deals as a condition for increasing players' share of revenue and other issues. The current collective bargaining agreement is set to expire in 2021, and both sides want to avoid a work stoppage.

The chances for striking a deal hinge in large part on how players respond to the idea of 17 games. Some players -- including 49ers receiver Emmanuel Sanders, who played 17 regular-season games this year because of a midseason trade -- have already spoken out strongly against it. So the NFL must make it worth their while, financially and otherwise, or else players opposed could band together and try to block it.

Under the NFLPA's constitution, the 11-man executive committee, led by president Eric Winston, is responsible for negotiating a new CBA and making a recommendation to the board with the best offer. The board of 32 reps (one for each club) then votes, with two-thirds of needing to vote to approve the deal before it is passed to all dues-paying players, who must ratify by a simple majority.

The executive committee has not yet made any such recommendation, per sources. One source said it's possible the board could bring a proposal on a new collective bargaining agreement to all players after the meeting; another source called that a "dream scenario" that is unlikely.

The meeting will take place in South Florida, with many players already in town for Super Bowl festivities.

The central issue throughout negotiations has been the revenue split, and players are expected to receive an uptick from the 47% of total revenue they are guaranteed under the current CBA, which was approved in 2011. The union has long hoped to achieve that increase without adding games, but the league has pushed all along for a lever that would allow them to add games as part of the next TV deal.

In a Jan. 16 memo to players, NFLPA executive director DeMaurice Smith wrote: "The negotiations thus far have proceeded with the NFL conditioning proposed increases in economics and other improvements on a potential 17 game model, with reduced preseason games and potentially an expanded playoff schedule."

Smith's memo confirmed the sides have reached tentative agreements on numerous issues, including increased guaranteed revenue to players, increased minimum salaries, reduction of contact during training camp, decreases in fines for on-field conduct and significant modifications to the drug policy. But the sides remain apart on other issues, including maximum revenue split, minimum cash spend requirements, the continuation (and ultimately increase of) the NFLPA Legacy fund that increased pensions for pre-1993 players, removing the escrow requirement/funding rule as a barrier to guaranteed contracts, rules on first-round picks and restricted free agents, and an NFL-proposed liability waiver.

"While we remain committed to the bargaining process," Smith wrote, "the major issues separating us are significant enough that we cannot recommend to our membership that we should accept a deal in this state at this time."

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Add another away game? Players are not gonna be in favor of another travel week.

Kevin

Pro Bowler
I don't know when the 17-game schedule would go into effect, but assuming it starts in lass than one year. Players that are under contract into the years when the 17-game schedule goes into effect will be working one extra game for no additional pay, unless there is some kind of additional compensation.

This seems too complicated to be worked out this off-season given the other issues unresolved.