CBA deal progressing

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

View: https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/status/1216048521809281024

I searched union, deal and a few other things and couldn't find the thread though I'm sure we had one going. I'm not a fan of 17 games unless the 17th is a neutral site game for every team there can't be uneven home and away games in this league. And even that I'm not a fan of because it's likely travel to Mexico or London for every team.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I bet you deep down Foolio was hoping this wasn't progressing, so he can bust out his boring legal bullshit.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
lol isn't the economics the most important part of the deal.
Sometimes, but it's usually a product too of ironing out the little details. In the end both sides know what they want for the financials they just want to know what they will get and have to give for getting what they want.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
17 games, fewer preseason games and extra byes just makes too much sense.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
17 games, fewer preseason games and extra byes just makes too much sense.
Less preseason and an extra bye do make sense but neither are mentioned in this tweet. A larger active roster makes even more sense to me.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
A 17th game in non franchise locations is a great marketing tool. It would b great to play them in cities like Portland, San Antonio and even some smaller college towns that are crazy over football.

Hopefully they don't increase the overseas games. I wish they would stop that shit, everyone knows about the NFL at this point in about any country that has TV's. Just stahpit!!!

If the NFL wants to increase fans they better start targeting the younger crowd who are watching soccer.

I read somewhere that more people in the USA are watching soccer than hockey right now, it's popularity is increasing daily and it's growth is being fueled by people under 30.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Less preseason and an extra bye do make sense but neither are mentioned in this tweet. A larger active roster makes even more sense to me.

IMO if they add an extra game the owners will have to give more money to the players and figure out a way to raise the cap so that teams can add a few more players to the roster.

I'm fine with two preseason games to warm up. If they eliminated it complexly and went to 18 games I'd be ok with that as well.

Everyone that is involved from the players, owners, TV stations all want to make more money. Prices are killing attendance but so are other things like free streaming, 70 TV's for 600 bucks and sports bars that are a fun social event. The only way to make more money is to rip off the fans more by raising prices which hurts attendance or adding more games. The TV deals will keep going up whether 16, 17 or 18 games but they will go up more, and so will advertising revenues to the TV stations. The fans are not going to provide what these greedy fuckers want.

It has to come from TV deals. This means more games.

I think they may be thinking of how to expand the post season too. Maybe top 10 seeds or something like that. It's going to happen eventually.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
IMO if they add an extra game the owners will have to give more money to the players and figure out a way to raise the cap so that teams can add a few more players to the roster.

I'm fine with two preseason games to warm up. If they eliminated it complexly and went to 18 games I'd be ok with that as well.

Everyone that is involved from the players, owners, TV stations all want to make more money. Prices are killing attendance but so are other things like free streaming, 70 TV's for 600 bucks and sports bars that are a fun social event. The only way to make more money is to rip off the fans more by raising prices which hurts attendance or adding more games. The TV deals will keep going up whether 16, 17 or 18 games but they will go up more, and so will advertising revenues to the TV stations. The fans are not going to provide what these greedy fuckers want.

It has to come from TV deals. This means more games.

I think they may be thinking of how to expand the post season too. Maybe top 10 seeds or something like that. It's going to happen eventually.
All that is a very real possibility and I like some of it. But after years of working on contracts and watching these leagues and the unions work out their deals I've learned never to assume something will or won't happen.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
If the NFL wants to increase fans they better start targeting the younger crowd who are watching soccer.

They're really not Les, younger fans stream and play tons of fantasy, but Soccer in the United States will always be conversed about as growing, but never does.

Ram65

Legend
I am not a fan of a 17 game schedule. Two bye weeks stinks if they do that. Records and stats get skewed. Where are they going to be played? It's all about the money I get that. Let's see the details. I think they need preseason games for identifying players worth keeping.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_regular_season#1978–1994_NFL_scheduling_formula
1578766924692.png

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I understand where you're coming from but just disagree. I also think it's one of the ways the owners use to try to get out of raising salaries league wide. If they put more people on the active roster those players get league minimum instead of what they get on the practice squad thereby the players get a larger share of the revenue without the majority of players getting a raise. I also don't like the inactive rule but that's been beaten to death here in discussions :)

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
g
I am not a fan of a 17 game schedule. Two bye weeks stinks if they do that. Records and stats get skewed. Where are they going to be played? It's all about the money I get that. Let's see the details. I think they need preseason games for identifying players worth keeping.

View attachment 33325

I'm on the opposite end and would like to see an 18 game schedule, 2 pre-season games and 3 BYES per team. The league makes more TV money by stretching out the season, players are better rested and healthier with increased time to heal, fans have less of an off-season to wait on for the new.
Increase the regular roster from 53 to 55, and make them all eligible for gameday. Increase Practice Squad size to a dozen with a requirement that at least one is a QB.
jmo.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm well aware of all of that. They use it to say they're giving 300 players a raise. I agree 100% it's a very small thing but it contributes. These are negotiations and no matter how small they'll use or attempt to use anything they can.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

View attachment 33325
Guessing every team gets as nuetral game so they can keep promoting in Mexico City, London, etc.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
They're really not Les, younger fans stream and play tons of fantasy, but Soccer in the United States will always be conversed about as growing, but never does.

It grows every year den.

In fact it's growing quickly.

5 years ago (or so) there were no Premier League scores on ESPN's home page. Now they have the entire scoreboard. MLS is planning to expand to 30 teams in the near future.

Soccer is thriving especially in the younger demographic.

Think about this...........in a recent (ESPN I think) poll people were asked what their favorite sport was. Here's the breakdown.

Football 37%
Basketball 11%
Baseball 9%
Soccer 7%
Hockey 4%

In the 12-24 demo soccer was #2.

I've read an article that basketball and soccer may someday be #1 and #2 with either possibly taking the top spot.

Baseball is now behind basketball and barely ahead of soccer. Who would have thought that even 10-15 years ago?

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Football 37%
Basketball 11%
Baseball 9%
Soccer 7%
Hockey 4%

In the 12-24 demo soccer was #2.

I've read an article that basketball and soccer may someday be #1 and #2 with either possibly taking the top spot.

Baseball is now behind basketball and barely ahead of soccer. Who would have thought that even 10-15 years ago?

I thought that 10 - 15 years ago, ... and more.
Spectator Baseball is like watching paint dry imo. Playing it is fine, watching it, not so much.

If people think Football money is crazy, Basketball money is outer galactic.

There may not be much scoring in soccer, but the athleticism & excitement level is quite high, and kids can play it right out of diapers pretty much.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
A 17th game in non franchise locations is a great marketing tool. It would b great to play them in cities like Portland, San Antonio and even some smaller college towns that are crazy over football.

Hopefully they don't increase the overseas games. I wish they would stop that shit, everyone knows about the NFL at this point in about any country that has TV's. Just stahpit!!!

I read somewhere that more people in the USA are watching soccer than hockey right now, it's popularity is increasing daily and it's growth is being fueled by people under 30.

You will go to Mexico City for Week 17, spend your money, AND LIKE IT!
LWEYH2c.gif