CBA deal progressing

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
A 17th game in non franchise locations is a great marketing tool. It would b great to play them in cities like Portland, San Antonio and even some smaller college towns that are crazy over football.
This would be the smartest thing the NFL could do. Therefore, goodhell will never go for it.
They're really not Les, younger fans stream and play tons of fantasy, but Soccer in the United States will always be conversed about as growing, but never does.
I've heard that since I was in elementary school some 50 years ago.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
It grows every year den.

In fact it's growing quickly.

5 years ago (or so) there were no Premier League scores on ESPN's home page. Now they have the entire scoreboard. MLS is planning to expand to 30 teams in the near future.

Soccer is thriving especially in the younger demographic.

Think about this...........in a recent (ESPN I think) poll people were asked what their favorite sport was. Here's the breakdown.

Football 37%
Basketball 11%
Baseball 9%
Soccer 7%
Hockey 4%

In the 12-24 demo soccer was #2.

I've read an article that basketball and soccer may someday be #1 and #2 with either possibly taking the top spot.

Baseball is now behind basketball and barely ahead of soccer. Who would have thought that even 10-15 years ago?
Polls are like stats. You can pretty much make them say whatever you want them to say. Soccer is deemed to be the "world sport" so it MUST take over the sports market in the US at SOME point - I mean it HAS to.

They used to post pro soccer scores during Dodger games WAY before ESPN. The Aztecs were going to take over the LA sports scene. Far more kids were playing soccer than any other sport. Kids identified with soccer. The term Soccer Mom came about. You could practice soccer anywhere with almost no cost.................

Fast forward 40-50 years and soccer is still growing and where does it actually rank in this country? Welp... Follow the money. I haven't looked but I'm guessing it's well behind the major four.

Hell. It may be behind GOLF!

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
I thought that 10 - 15 years ago, ... and more.
Spectator Baseball is like watching paint dry imo. Playing it is fine, watching it, not so much.

If people think Football money is crazy, Basketball money is outer galactic.

There may not be much scoring in soccer, but the athleticism & excitement level is quite high, and kids can play it right out of diapers pretty much.
I would disagree that the excitement level is high. Nothing important happens for a majority of the game. That's the opposite of exciting.

And kids can play it right out of diapers because... I don't want to say it's low skill because accuracy of kicking is high skill, but the rest of it is less so. My son played soccer for a few years and the only reason they scored more than once a game (like a real soccer game) is because at his age they aren't allowed goalies. Otherwise, soccer games with 5 year olds and 25 year olds would feature identical gameplay and scoring. It looks a little prettier with 25 year old people, but they still just run around a lot, getting nothing done, and score a little. The excitement of baseball and soccer are identical, with the only difference being that soccer has more movement. But the same amount of nothing important happens each and every minute.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I thought that 10 - 15 years ago, ... and more.
Spectator Baseball is like watching paint dry imo. Playing it is fine, watching it, not so much.

If people think Football money is crazy, Basketball money is outer galactic.

There may not be much scoring in soccer, but the athleticism & excitement level is quite high, and kids can play it right out of diapers pretty much.

The money isn't why people watch the sport.

Polls are like stats. You can pretty much make them say whatever you want them to say. Soccer is deemed to be the "world sport" so it MUST take over the sports market in the US at SOME point - I mean it HAS to.

They used to post pro soccer scores during Dodger games WAY before ESPN. The Aztecs were going to take over the LA sports scene. Far more kids were playing soccer than any other sport. Kids identified with soccer. The term Soccer Mom came about. You could practice soccer anywhere with almost no cost.................

Fast forward 40-50 years and soccer is still growing and where does it actually rank in this country? Welp... Follow the money. I haven't looked but I'm guessing it's well behind the major four.

Hell. It may be behind GOLF!

Dude not only are you not reading, you are not paying attention.

It's currently the 4th most popular pro sport in the USA and just a tiny bit behind baseball as a favorite. And more than DOUBLE the viewers/fans of hockey. It's not well behind the major 4, it's number 3 in the major 4 "with a bullet".

Basketball has supplanted baseball as the #2 favorite by the way.

I played soccer in HS in an area with a metro population of well over 2MIL.

There are ten times as many schools with soccer teams now versus back then.

The USA will be a global powerhouse in this sport in our lifetimes. We will own it like hoops.

The best soccer players in the world are guys who are 5'9" or so and about 170 pounds or so. I could beat the asses of the best of them in a fist fight. So all of the kids playing football, hockey and baseball that are not big and strong enough to excel and go to the next level at those sports at some point will turn to soccer and put the sport on it's ear.

Bazillons of American kids with great, fantastic athletic talents that are not big enough, tall enough or heavy enough to play other sports will take up soccer. And the US will be a world power in the sport.

That is EXACTLY what happened with the USA women's team. They didn't have nearly as many varieties of sports from grade school to Jr to HS or college. But they had soccer.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
It's currently the 4th most popular pro sport in the USA and just a tiny bit behind baseball as a favorite. And more than DOUBLE the viewers/fans of hockey. It's not well behind the major 4, it's number 3 in the major 4 "with a bullet".
I am definitely paying attention and history says you're wrong. POLLS say it is ahead of baseball JUST as you stated. They don't pay for sports people don't watch on TV so here in the US, it's still behind the other four. And has been all fifty years they have spewed this soon to be #1 sport crap when I was growing up in LA - a bit bigger than your 2 mil and far more of a soccer town than most if not all in the US. Funny... Last I heard, it's still behind the major 4 by a large margin.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
The money isn't why people watch the sport.

Probably not, but it does turn off some people and can seem unseemly when compared to those out there doing truly good works, ... but that's capitalism for you.

I don't watch a lot of soccer, but I do watch our USA ladies doing battle and they are great. Other than that, it's pretty much only the NFL unless other local teams make it to the finals.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I would disagree that the excitement level is high. Nothing important happens for a majority of the game. That's the opposite of exciting.

And kids can play it right out of diapers because... I don't want to say it's low skill because accuracy of kicking is high skill, but the rest of it is less so. My son played soccer for a few years and the only reason they scored more than once a game (like a real soccer game) is because at his age they aren't allowed goalies. Otherwise, soccer games with 5 year olds and 25 year olds would feature identical gameplay and scoring. It looks a little prettier with 25 year old people, but they still just run around a lot, getting nothing done, and score a little. The excitement of baseball and soccer are identical, with the only difference being that soccer has more movement. But the same amount of nothing important happens each and every minute.
I would only add that the reason baseball has likely withstood is the amount of strategy involved with all the machinations of the game. Can you imagine a scandal in soccer centered around stealing signs?:ROFLMAO:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Probably not, but it does turn off some people and can seem unseemly when compared to those out there doing truly good works, ... but that's capitalism for you.

I don't watch a lot of soccer, but I do watch our USA ladies doing battle and they are great. Other than that, it's pretty much only the NFL unless other local teams make it to the finals.
And I agree with what you're saying. It's just like @LesBaker has always said. Winning puts butts in seats. The women team is great - not just good. I watch them whenever they play. That's where it ends though.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
But wait a minute. You telling me a ref's head on a pike is "seemly"?:p:ROFLMAO:

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I am definitely paying attention and history says you're wrong. POLLS say it is ahead of baseball JUST as you stated. They don't pay for sports people don't watch on TV so here in the US, it's still behind the other four. And has been all fifty years they have spewed this soon to be #1 sport crap when I was growing up in LA - a bit bigger than your 2 mil and far more of a soccer town than most if not all in the US. Funny... Last I heard, it's still behind the major 4 by a large margin.

Never mind.

You aren't listening or "definitely paying attention". And history, especially recent history. points to YOU being wrong.

It's NOT BEHIND THE MAJOR 4. It's number 3 of 4 with more than DOUBLE the interest and fans as hockey which is parked at 4%. Which is almost a "we aren't interested" thing. Basketball is growing. So is soccer.

MLS is planning to expand to 30 teams. Soccer exclusive stadiums are being opened all across the USA.

You say "last I heard" so obviously you have not been listening for many years.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Never mind.

You aren't listening or "definitely paying attention". And history, especially recent history. points to YOU being wrong.

It's NOT BEHIND THE MAJOR 4. It's number 3 of 4 with more than DOUBLE the interest and fans as hockey which is parked at 4%. Which is almost a "we aren't interested" thing. Basketball is growing. So is soccer.

MLS is planning to expand to 30 teams. Soccer exclusive stadiums are being opened all across the USA.

You say "last I heard" so obviously you have not been listening for many years.
Whatever Les. I work with a group that owns 8 sports bars. Soccer is even behind freaking golf.

Sorry but soccer will surpass the other four ONLY when TV packages in the USA ( because that's what we're talking about) exceed the other four. Those revenues are really the only poll that counts. If soccer was actually being WATCHED, their contracts would follow.

It's not about feel good, what we want to happen ideals. It's about what people are really interested in. Compare soccer ticket prices to any other sport. Imma guess they are behind the other 4.

HellRam

Starter
Still don't love the idea of more games. Enough players as it is miss playoff games due to season injuries.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Still don't love the idea of more games. Enough players as it is miss playoff games due to season injuries.

More football “sounds good”... but yeah... I am not liking the idea.

Last night watching the Titans... the thought kept crossing my mind... these guys look good... but one injury to Henry and they’re done.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
And I agree with what you're saying. It's just like @LesBaker has always said. Winning puts butts in seats. The women team is great - not just good. I watch them whenever they play. That's where it ends though.

the real reason soccer will never grow in the usa is because there is not enough breaks in the action to fit in a 100 or so commercial. so it will never get the tv coverage unless it changes the rules to get more commercials in.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Whatever Les. I work with a group that owns 8 sports bars. Soccer is even behind freaking golf.

Sorry but soccer will surpass the other four ONLY when TV packages in the USA ( because that's what we're talking about) exceed the other four. Those revenues are really the only poll that counts. If soccer was actually being WATCHED, their contracts would follow.

It's not about feel good, what we want to happen ideals. It's about what people are really interested in. Compare soccer ticket prices to any other sport. Imma guess they are behind the other 4.

Dude it has ALREADY passed up hockey and is GAINING on MLB.

4 more franchises are slated for MLS!

Your friends that own 8 sports bars are an indicator? Seriously?

Google it..........it's growing like crazy in the US.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
All that's an indication of is his customer pool and regional market. Soccer is growing by leaps and bounds. But I did notice two of your comments fit together. He owns a sports bar and people come in for besides food and drink but to watch what's on TV. MLS doesn't ATM have a big TV contract, current one expires in 2022 hell you can get more Premiere League and Bundeslega games on TV than MLS. So people go to his bars but the MLS doesn't have a huge contract so even if he had Soccer fans going in there the availability of games isn't large unless he's paying for the MLS package like the other sports have.

One thing for us in Reno I'll say is the 1868's have more people every game than the Aces have. Soccer fans are here, the networks just haven't caught up yet here.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
the real reason soccer will never grow in the usa is because there is not enough breaks in the action to fit in a 100 or so commercial. so it will never get the tv coverage unless it changes the rules to get more commercials in.

LOL are you serious that it "will never grow"?

Yeah you're right. Nobody will watch, there will never be a major league, it'll never overtake any of the other sports in popularity.

Except not LOL.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

17-Game Schedule Holding up CBA?

Introduced during these collective bargaining agreement discussions, the 17-game schedule has become one of the central components of the negotiations. It appears the talks are progressing, and Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk reports (on Twitter) the revised schedule is likely to be part of the next CBA.

However, were the 17-game schedule not included in these discussions, Florio adds it is believed the league and the NFLPA would have a deal by now (Twitter link). It could then be inferred the parties have agreed to a revenue split figure, which would be a critical barrier cleared.

The owners, who recently proposed a new revenue-split figure, are confident the extra game will be added to schedules. While the 17-game season would not necessarily become a reality in the CBA’s first year, it can be assumed that would be an early-2020s change.

The prospect of a 17-game season surfaced in late September, and we’ve steadily learned what this would mean for the league. Having used a 16-game schedule for 42 years, the NFL moved off its 18-game pursuit during these talks and is attempting to structure a 19-week season (two byes) with a Super Bowl that moves into late February. Each team’s extra game would come at neutral sites, both domestic and international, with the preseason being shortened.

A longer season obviously isn’t an especially popular proposition for the players, though the extra bye week and the NFL’s (known) concessions on marijuana and Roger Goodell‘s disciplinary powers would seemingly help. As would greater cap spikes generated by additional revenue. But it remains to be seen what effect an extra game would have on contracts.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
All that's an indication of is his customer pool and regional market. Soccer is growing by leaps and bounds. But I did notice two of your comments fit together. He owns a sports bar and people come in for besides food and drink but to watch what's on TV. MLS doesn't ATM have a big TV contract, current one expires in 2022 hell you can get more Premiere League and Bundeslega games on TV than MLS. So people go to his bars but the MLS doesn't have a huge contract so even if he had Soccer fans going in there the availability of games isn't large unless he's paying for the MLS package like the other sports have.

One thing for us in Reno I'll say is the 1868's have more people every game than the Aces have. Soccer fans are here, the networks just haven't caught up yet here.
And they don't have the games on and a big TV deal because the audience isn't there yet.

Maybe you're right and it will grow but I've been hearing it my whole life and every time there's a blip up it wanes and drops back down. I just don't buy that it is going to overtake the major 4 any time soon. It has overtaken hockey before and at times does it now in many metrics but it still has problems with consistently attracting a TV audience in the US. It goes crazy during the World Cup and then wanes. It went crazy during the Pele years and then waned. It started to go crazy during the Peckham thing and that kind of fizzled. Several leagues have tried to become the 4th major in the US and haven't done it. We'll see if the MLS can do it. They are expanding but I suspect that expansion will still be limited as the sport is one that more people play than watch and getting more than a regional audience has been very difficult.

I don't really care but after 50 years of the same rhetoric almost forcing the WORLD'S MOST POPULAR SPORT down our throats, it is once again trending up. I suppose we'll see if this time is the charm. I can wait because 90 minutes of running up and down the grass to a 1 - nil score just bores the shit out of me.