CAMP REPORT Camp Reports Day 6: Tues, Aug 3

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I'm not really sure what you are saying in that stream of consciousness above. But that reaction is over the top for the basic assumption that Tutu will factor in year two.
Well YOU think Tutu will be any kind of factor in 2021 as a WR ?
I think it is only come in the form of a PR guy imo if that ? I’ll rebuttal later.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Well YOU think Tutu will be any kind of factor in 2021 as a WR ?
I think it is only come in the form of a PR guy imo if that ? I’ll rebuttal later.
Don't bother with a rebuttal. Gonna skip past your nonsense should have known better than trying to actually talk ball with you.

Ram65

Legend
Clapping Applause GIF by The Gentlemen

I think Jones will be a starter this year. He may start the season. Excited to see him in the preseason.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I agree Merlin. You can sit out here and watch 11 on 11's for days and you're only going to get a basic idea of the pecking order. Not unti they go up against another team are we going to really see who excells and who fucks it up. I keep thinking the Demby experiment is finally over and then I look in the binoculars and there he is again so I have no idea what the coaches pecking order is.
Demby is a guy The Rams have groomed & respected.It’s guys like that that help the development of The Rams.
My point being of the expansion of the practice squad.It helps give players like Whitworth,Havenstien,AD99,DJ1,Kupp those veteran days off & still get a good team practice in during the season. Mcvay has done such an excellent job keeping players healthy & development.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I find it interesting that Jonah Williams got a lot of work at DE the first couple of days. It's clear they want to see what they have in him. I don't see Hoecht getting cut because he's true depth behind AD, something they clearly didn't have and was exposed in the playoffs. Gaines can play 3T and 1T and has outperformed SJD on fewer snaps. He's exactly what you want in a rotational interior DL. The problem with SJD is he still hasn't learned to play with leverage. He still plays too upright and bullrush is all he has. Gaines gets penetration because he's more explosive off the snap and plays with leverage which is why he gets better penetration.

The first couple of weeks of TC are working on different combinations to see who their rotational depth players are. After the first preseason game, their roster is going to be pretty set with perhaps only one or two roster positions in play for these guys. Most will be playing and practicing to get film to use when they shop themselves as FA after the cut-down. I think a lot of Ram releases will get signed by other teams.

The majority of the guys playing in the 3rd preseason game aren't going to make the roster. But other teams will be scouting those games to fill their own roster holes. IMO by the end of the first half of the second preseason game the roster will be pretty set except for a few bottom of the roster STs type players.
Well your going to have to put your 53 man roster together then & will compare.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Merlin, SJD has mostly lined up at NT. AD and A'Shawn have lined up everywhere on the DL, sometimes DT, some times DE right or left.

I will be keeping close eye on DL and OL today. IMHO both are deep and I'm not gonna make any judgements until I see them play another team, scrimmage the 7th with Cowpokes, then with Chargers.

Ram65

Legend
The change in depth of WR threats is crazy from 2020 to 2021.

Last year teams only had to sweat Kupp and Woody. Reynolds could be matched up with most teams' third corner. Jefferson came on late and started to change that but for most of the season was not ready.

This year he is ready and will probably feast on most teams' CB3s. But we also have DJax and Tutu behind him. Skow is a better version of the big wideout with hands that Reynolds was supposed to be and is 6th on that depth chart.

Just a massive overhaul of the bottom of the wideout group. And a QB change that should lead to more reads to that third and fourth option. Add it up and that is some exciting shit.

And that is just the wideouts. Who knows what Harris may add once he settles in.

It is crazy!

Generally speaking, there were a lot of posters wondering about the Rams draft. Starting with Tutu at #2 with his smaller size, Jackson already signed and many thinking it was a reach. Let's not forget the cry for offensive line help and the Rams drafting Jefferson early last year. These two speedsters are insurance for each other with Jackson's injury history and Tutu being a rookie. Little did we know McVay wasn't nearly done adding more pass-catching weapons.

I agree Benny Show is a better version of what Reynolds was supposed to be. It may be that Hopkins was not what the Rams expected so getting Harris is another smart move that could pay off early on. Welcome the new Murders row at WR Woods, Kupp, Jackson, Jefferson, Tutu, Benny Skow!

McVay sure had a plan.

Last edited:

Tano

Legend
It is crazy!

Generally speaking, there were a lot of posters wondering about the Rams draft. Starting with Tutu at #2 with his smaller size, Jackson already signed and many thinking it was a reach. Let's not forget the cry for offensive line help and the Rams drafting Jefferson early last year. These two speedsters are insurance for each other with Jackson's injury history and Tutu being a rookie. Little did we know McVay wasn't nearly done adding more pass-catching weapons.

I agree Benny Show is a better version of what Reynolds was supposed to be. It may be that Hopkins was not what the Rams expected so getting Harris is another smart move that could pay off early on. Welcome the new Murders row at WRWoods, Kupp, Jackson, Jefferson, Tutu, Benny Skow!

McVay sure had a plan.
Muwaahaahaa

1628101954083.png

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
It is crazy!

I agree Benny Show is a better version of what Reynolds was supposed to be. It may be that Hopkins was not what the Rams expected so getting Harris is another smart move that could pay off early on. Welcome the new Murders row at WRWoods, Kupp, Jackson, Jefferson, Tutu, Benny Skow!

McVay sure had a plan.
Yeah clearly McVay felt like his WR and QB positions were the primary problem areas. And re: the OL to his credit he didn't bring back Blythe even though he could have on the cheap.

Still feel like it would have been nice to snap up another OL. But you can't do everything in one offseason and reloading QB and WR was a pretty tall task in terms of resources.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Glad to hear that SJD finally figured out he needed to work on his pass rush. But his run defense sucked last year and he needs work on that too. He always looks good until it's a real game so I'm not going to get worked up about it. Besides he's a FA next year so he probably makes the roster this year as Snead loves his comp picks. If they can get a 4th or 5th round comp for him that would be great.

Rapp looked great as a rookie because Phillip's scheme was similar to what he played in UW. Staley's schemes and his injury slowed him last year. I expect Morris to use a lot of cover 3 so it will go back to Rapp's comfort level.

Re: RBs I think we will see more rotation among Jones, Funk, and Calais. I also think they will carry 4 on the roster with Anderson probably making the PS. I think if Henderson goes down, Funk will take up the slack as his speed allows McVay to play his normal offense. With Jones, the emphasis on running will have to be more inside oriented. The problem with Jones running inside is he was not a tackle breaker in college.

I see them carrying 6 WRs: Woods, Kupp, Jefferson, Jackson, Tutu, and Skowronek with Trishon making the PS. Once Jackson is off the roster it opens a spot for Trishon next year. IMO Skowronek has shown he's better than most people thought. I liked him because what I saw in Benny was something that was a hole in their offense. Skowronek is a true possession type receiver who makes those short to medium-range contested catches. This gives him a definite role in their red zone where they struggled. He's also faster and quicker than most give him credit for.

The only downside so far this year is Rochell's injury. I really think he would have finished the season as the true #3 CB. He still might if he isn't out too long. Wrists are tricky because of all the nerves which can impact your hand.

The only part of the team really in question IMO are STs. Not so much the kickers but the coverage teams which were a huge weakness. Otherwise, I'm happy with what I'm hearing.

View: https://youtu.be/9wMuuErIQsQ

Watch this and then tell me if Jones not a tackle breaker

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Merlin, SJD has mostly lined up at NT. AD and A'Shawn have lined up everywhere on the DL, sometimes DT, some times DE right or left.

I will be keeping close eye on DL and OL today. IMHO both are deep and I'm not gonna make any judgements until I see them play another team, scrimmage the 7th with Cowpokes, then with Chargers.
Are you going to both ??? Your seriously into Training Camp. DIEHARD Brother !!!

also I’m such a Rams Fan,but keep driving by Chargers site. Do they run at the same time & do you need Tix ?
I actually could get there on a bike faster than driving to The Rams camp.
Almost go the back Bay & get to UCI faster than it takes you to drive home in traffic.Just getting back would suck.

Ram65

Legend
Yeah clearly McVay felt like his WR and QB positions were the primary problem areas. And re: the OL to his credit he didn't bring back Blythe even though he could have on the cheap.

Still feel like it would have been nice to snap up another OL. But you can't do everything in one offseason and reloading QB and WR was a pretty tall task in terms of resources.

You may be right. I'm old school Rams sorry @OldSchool going back to the 60's with great offensive lines, defensive lines and running backs. It would have been nice to get more offensive line help. Seems like McVay and his staff are confident in what they have. Corbett seems to be working out at OC. It's been mentioned that they have spent draft capital on offensive lineman just not early picks.

It's definitely a different offensive mindset than in the earlier Rams teams. Let's hope Stafford and the offensive line can create enough time to get the ball to this great collection of offensive weapons.

Last edited:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
It is crazy!

I agree Benny Show is a better version of what Reynolds was supposed to be. It may be that Hopkins was not what the Rams expected so getting Harris is another smart move that could pay off early on. Welcome the new Murders row at WR Woods, Kupp, Jackson, Jefferson, Tutu, Benny Skow!

McVay sure had a plan.

Still have to see what Tutu brings.I know speed,but my thoughts of The Rams drafting was getting a year to mentor behind DJ1 , not as insurance.
Reynolds was a good WR, & for some reason(comp pick) he started over Van Jefferson.
Gerald Everett leaving changes The Rams offense more than anything.I think The Rams (O’c) Mcvay runs the O’ more through personal ? Cam Akers taking 7 snaps at wildcat with Copper Kupp hurt & Goff with a Broken Thumb playing WR.

— Hopkins was supposed to be more like Harris is as a WR/TE. Maybe even Mcvay was counting on Everett being more of a WR/TE as well ? Don’t know & preseason will give players a chance to prove themselves. There is still hope for Hopkins,but Mcvay gives him NO LOVE!!

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

Where The F” where The Rams going to go upfront ?? Okay, just go back & look at your negative post about The Offensive Line.

The big & real question right now is not about IF or What the could have done anyway.

The question is about how many Offensive lineman & who makes the 53 ?? I guess you never liked Anchrum?? What about Brian Allen ??
#67 ?? That is a fair question. Coleman is basically done as a Ram imo.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
87 Harris catches a pass from wolford. Hadn’t seen much of Harris today. Glad to see he isn’t shying away from contact

I read in the weakness section of his scouting report that he prefers to win contested balls instead of trying to separate from defenders. I'm not sure I would call that a weakness. Especially in the red zone.

Ram65

Legend
Still have to see what Tutu brings.I know speed,but my thoughts of The Rams drafting was getting a year to mentor behind DJ1 , not as insurance.

I think it's both mentoring and insurance.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I think it's both mentoring and insurance.
So what is your prediction on how many catches Tutu will have in 2021 ?
I’d say 10 at most. Still way to early to really tell which makes it a guessing game. I think as of now he will be lucky to get over 10 catches in the preseason.

bluecoconuts

Legend
So what is your prediction on how many catches Tutu will have in 2021 ?
I’d say 10 at most. Still way to early to really tell which makes it a guessing game. I think as of now he will be lucky to get over 10 catches in the preseason.

10-15 is my guess. Van Jefferson got about 20 in the regular season last year, but it's hard to judge. TuTu isn't as developed as a route runner, but he's also got more straight line speed and could get a few over the top of the defense, so even with limited camp time he can find a spot in the offense. I can see him getting an almost equal amount of carries as receptions this year though. He seems like a good candidate for sweeps or screens, especially with Woods and Kupp's downfield blocking abilities.

Still, I don't expect him to out produce guys like Van Jefferson or Kupp in his rookie year. I expect him to become more of an impact player in year 2 or even 3.