CAMP REPORT Camp Reports Day 6: Tues, Aug 3

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TexasRam

Legend
Just go back and look at SJD's game film. He gets blown off the LOS, isn't stout at the POA and his sacks are all coverage sacks setup by the rush around him. He struggles to get off blocks as well. Yeah that's the guy I'm talking about. Yet every year it's all about how good he is. Lets see if they extend him now that Robinson is looking quicker and in better condition. Also, remember they drafted Bobby Brown to play 1T. SJD lacks the speed and quickness to anywhere but DT. With Robinson, Gaines and now Bobby Brown with both Gaines and Robinson who can also play 3T SJD's push for a job would look to be too little too late. Though he probably would get interest from other teams as a FA where Snead will get his comp pick.

IMO SJD falls into that category of good enough isn't good enough anymore. Also, Robinson is signed through 2022 and is clearly the better player. All of which would seem to point to SDJ not being extended next year. Also, if they wanted, SJD only carries a dead cap of less than $39K meaning they would clear $2.1M this year if he's released.
I don’t think anyone is claiming SJD is much of a pass rusher. Or that he deserves a second contract, because he is replaceable. But against the run he has been stout. And honestly no one notices how important stopping the run is until the run defense becomes a problem. Which for the Rams it hasn’t.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing

To be fair, people get beat all the time in the camp. They're just random reps. Ramsey got shaken out of his shoes by Jefferson on a nasty route apparently. But I wouldn't say that Jefferson would just abuse Ramsey play after play in a real game. And kupp's going to beat a lot of people

I was actually just watching some kupp rookie highlights. He isn't a burner but he does get deep pretty well. Nobody in our offense got deep last year because it wasn't designed to play that way

Kupp is one of the best in the league at getting open despite not being a burner. The clip starts half way through the play, we don't anything about routes or coverage.

Again there's not many safety's that could hang with Kupp.

We've seen clips of Rapp getting beat deep by Jackson and Kupp already this camps. These guys can get open against just about anyone in the league, but Rapp has a history getting beat like in the 9ers game two years ago that everyone remembers well.

I'm not saying that Kupp can't beat him or anyone deep, I'm pointing out that this is happening to Rapp again and he's trying to win the starting job. Are we going to give Rapp the same pass against Brandon Aiyuk, Deebo Samuel, DK Metcalf, Tyler Lockett, AJ Green, Hopkins, and others?

Tano

Legend
We've seen clips of Rapp getting beat deep by Jackson and Kupp already this camps. These guys can get open against just about anyone in the league, but Rapp has a history getting beat like in the 9ers game two years ago that everyone remembers well.

I'm not saying that Kupp can't beat him or anyone deep, I'm pointing out that this is happening to Rapp again and he's trying to win the starting job. Are we going to give Rapp the same pass against Brandon Aiyuk, Deebo Samuel, DK Metcalf, Tyler Lockett, AJ Green, Hopkins, and others?
I agree with others that Rapp should primarily be an in the box safety and only cover TEs and RBs when that is his assignment

He is okay against most TEs and RBs

His tackling is his strong suit

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
So those who have been to camp, do any of the UDFA DL guys from the last two yrs show any juice??? I guess hard to tell until yesterday with pads finally going on.

So just hoping we can get some reports on Hoecht, Williams, Banks, Sillvanic, etc...

Hopefully one or two of these guys have a future. With limited high picks & cap space, players like these guys are key to keeping them in contention. Cheap productive players.

Last edited:

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott

That was Rapp's rookie year.
That play was horrible!

However. He did start to show improvement with more discipline.

I think he can be a solid player.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Jefferson: gonna get every opportunity to shine. I hope he turns out to be a star because I felt Reynolds was a solid non-starter and too much maligned on this forum.

DJ: with no true #1 on this offense, the defenses will have to pick their poison. I don’t see how a defense can shut down DJ without getting carved up by the other options.
The change in depth of WR threats is crazy from 2020 to 2021.

Last year teams only had to sweat Kupp and Woody. Reynolds could be matched up with most teams' third corner. Jefferson came on late and started to change that but for most of the season was not ready.

This year he is ready and will probably feast on most teams' CB3s. But we also have DJax and Tutu behind him. Skow is a better version of the big wideout with hands that Reynolds was supposed to be and is 6th on that depth chart.

Just a massive overhaul of the bottom of the wideout group. And a QB change that should lead to more reads to that third and fourth option. Add it up and that is some exciting shit.

And that is just the wideouts. Who knows what Harris may add once he settles in.

Tano

Legend

Last year teams only had to sweat Kupp and Woody. Reynolds could be matched up with most teams' third corner. Jefferson came on late and started to change that but for most of the season was not ready.

This year he is ready and will probably feast on most teams' CB3s. But we also have DJax and Tutu behind him. Skow is a better version of the big wideout with hands that Reynolds was supposed to be and is 6th on that depth chart.

Just a massive overhaul of the bottom of the wideout group. And a QB change that should lead to more reads to that third and fourth option. Add it up and that is some exciting shit.

And that is just the wideouts. Who knows what Harris may add once he settles in.
Stafford is going to be looking downfield and wondering - hmmm - which open receiver should I throw to

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So those who have been to camp, do any of the UDFA DL guys from the last two yrs show any juice??? I guess hard to tell until yesterday with pads finally going on.

So just hoping we can get some reports on Hoecht, Williams, Banks, Sillvanic, etc...

Hopefully one or two of these guys have a future. With limited high picks & cap space, players like these guys are key to keeping them in contention. Cheap productive players.
I will say Hoecht had some intriguing tape coming in but like with Garrett it was vs lower competition. Also looking at the depth chart and likely a cap at 6 all those depth types have their work cut out.

Basically for Hoecht or one of those others to make it probably means Gaines is cut. And I really like the Griz vs power fronts in that rotation. He is our hardest to move DL.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Practice squad guy only.He is with The Rams because he knows he will just about start.If anybody thinksNoteboom & Whitworth are on the field your (?) at least paying attention.
Glad to hear my dude Alaric Jackson getting some time.

THANKS for all the reports!

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
There's a spot for Rapp on this team in certain packages. He has good instincts, is a solid tackler, matches up well with TEs in man coverage, and is a solid blitzer iirc. However, I don't see him filling out to be a linebacker and Burgess is probably a better fit at safety in this defense so it's difficult to say what his long term position would be exactly.
Well I just say that I’ll wait a week to at least make a better judgment.Burgees is the better communicator. E.Jones is a smaller LBer,but you can see how dialed in he gets personal. Still both are on the 2nd unit.

1628094474041.png

oldnotdead

Legend
I find it interesting that Jonah Williams got a lot of work at DE the first couple of days. It's clear they want to see what they have in him. I don't see Hoecht getting cut because he's true depth behind AD, something they clearly didn't have and was exposed in the playoffs. Gaines can play 3T and 1T and has outperformed SJD on fewer snaps. He's exactly what you want in a rotational interior DL. The problem with SJD is he still hasn't learned to play with leverage. He still plays too upright and bullrush is all he has. Gaines gets penetration because he's more explosive off the snap and plays with leverage which is why he gets better penetration.

The first couple of weeks of TC are working on different combinations to see who their rotational depth players are. After the first preseason game, their roster is going to be pretty set with perhaps only one or two roster positions in play for these guys. Most will be playing and practicing to get film to use when they shop themselves as FA after the cut-down. I think a lot of Ram releases will get signed by other teams.

The majority of the guys playing in the 3rd preseason game aren't going to make the roster. But other teams will be scouting those games to fill their own roster holes. IMO by the end of the first half of the second preseason game the roster will be pretty set except for a few bottom of the roster STs type players.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I will say Hoecht had some intriguing tape coming in but like with Garrett it was vs lower competition. Also looking at the depth chart and likely a cap at 6 all those depth types have their work cut out.

Basically for Hoecht or one of those others to make it probably means Gaines is cut. And I really like the Griz vs power fronts in that rotation. He is our hardest to move DL.
Yeah, I am hoping one could make the roster or a couple could still get to the practice squad with the opportunity to make the team next yr with SJD likely leaving and or be capable of helping this yr in case of injury.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Philly-- 2nd team basic DL has been Gaines NT, Copeland DT, Bobby Bown III DT Eric Bank was in for Brown after he hurt his hand. Those players have been getting the most reps. All the others have been subtituted in and out and have been switched around.
Gaines, Brown and Copeland have had reps with the first team D.

I have been keeping a close eye on OL and DL. Reps and substitutions are a good indication of pecking order, especially when the pads go ond

Oh, and Oldnotdead, none of the twos have outplayed SJD. He flushed Stafford twice yesterday. and stuffed runs more than a few times.

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I find it interesting that Jonah Williams got a lot of work at DE the first couple of days. It's clear they want to see what they have in him. I don't see Hoecht getting cut because he's true depth behind AD, something they clearly didn't have and was exposed in the playoffs. Gaines can play 3T and 1T and has outperformed SJD on fewer snaps. He's exactly what you want in a rotational interior DL. The problem with SJD is he still hasn't learned to play with leverage. He still plays too upright and bullrush is all he has. Gaines gets penetration because he's more explosive off the snap and plays with leverage which is why he gets better penetration.
Well if you believe in the local legend of Robinson losing weight and actually being ready to help us then he would be the backup for AD if he were to miss time. In his good season/window Robinson was a real load with good speed off the snap. If he's back to being that guy then he's AD's backup.

If not then yes having a 3T type might factor in. Btw I do like Gaines at 3T, probably by myself on that one lol but I do think he can jump gaps if that's the scheme/call and he's told to do so. He'll never be a plus threat in his rush but he is a physical load who can win a little if he's not teamed and if he is teamed is very hard to move. I just see him as a very valuable depth option so hope he makes the team.

Re: the DL depth chart as a whole it is one of the groups I'm most eager to watch in preseason. People talk shit about preseason games but I'm a huge fan of them because it's the best way to form an opinion on our depth dudes.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I agree Merlin. You can sit out here and watch 11 on 11's for days and you're only going to get a basic idea of the pecking order. Not unti they go up against another team are we going to really see who excells and who fucks it up. I keep thinking the Demby experiment is finally over and then I look in the binoculars and there he is again so I have no idea what the coaches pecking order is.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Philly-- 2nd team basic DL has been Gaines NT, Copeland DT, Bobby Bown III DT Eric Bank was in for Brown after he hurt his hand. Those players have been getting the most reps. All the others have been subtituted in and out and have been switched around.
Gaines, Brown and Copeland have had reps with the first team D.
So my question Bubba: where has Robinson and SJD been taking snaps? Thought I had read Robinson was on the nose but don't trust my memory.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

Tutu ? Come on Man!!

btw - just asking you about the old Tavon Austin play(sweep) or whatever The Rams had to do to keep defenses from cheating to much?

The Jet thing will always be a thing,but Mcvay(O’Connell) can pick the most optimum time.

What about all those 12’s ?? No your talking about spreading out the WR’s. DJ1 & Kupp lining up inside & having a LBer covering them. Yeah F’.all that want to say anything negative about Woods & Kupp AT ALL !!

Talk about SPEED?? Took a photo 80 yards always. Saw 4 (#5) get burned on a quick deep out(Fuller is always), and a safety pinching in.I guess #4 was (Fuller) the SS ?
You put your head down & walk a couple steps in the end zone & hear noise.Look up & see Robert Woods (#2) running full speed with the sun reflecting back on his helmet.I mean I could have just about seen my bald Azz mirroring back.If he kept running straight I would have been flat on my butt. So my point being is Robert Wooods is freaking in Top SHApE & his Speed is The Fastest guy that big & strong as I have ever seen. Yes his Shoulder Pads,Cleats, & Helmet had something to do about my feelings as well. —Incredible & I can’t state that enough right now.
Yes I might be going through a little P.T.S. Though ??? No offense,but yes The Rams have a SERIOUS OFFENSE!!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Tutu ? Come on Man!!
I'm not really sure what you are saying in that stream of consciousness above. But that reaction is over the top for the basic assumption that Tutu will factor in year two.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Yeah, I am hoping one could make the roster or a couple could still get to the practice squad with the opportunity to make the team next yr with SJD likely leaving and or be capable of helping this yr in case of injury.
I think #92 makes the squad.Number #48 ?? He has not shown up that much from my little point of view.

The Rams defensive Line is going to be as good as it ever has been with Brockers. Just think there is going to be more Beef. My biggest concern is getting pressure of the edge ? AD brings such a different dynamic than other teams,because of the pressure up the middle. I don’t know though,just the way I see it as of now ??