CAMP REPORT Camp Report: Day 4

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29
Good call !! Bubba likes JoJo better though. Which I would agree as a PR guy.

My point is as a development point of view, the future is brighter for Nsimba Webster 5’10 180 vs 5’7 153. Webster can be a gunner as well ? Then with your point of putting up good numbers as a PR or WR ?? Just going by site & feel from a scouting point.

87 rec. and 1300 yds receiving last year.... and 11 TDs I'm looking forward to these preseason games.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
76029C1D-297D-44AF-8877-E63BDB3BD612.png
View attachment 29541 View attachment 29539
Most all know the OL cadre is the biggest concern on this Ram team. All this youth being inserted in the starting lineup & most reserve positions would mandate concern, even with Kromer/Dickerson being in charge. Kromer has his hands full @ the moment. The defense always has the upper hand on the offense early in TC. I need to remind myself that this our coaching staff (McVay/Wade/ Kromer/Walden) is having it's first look at Aaron Donald in training Camp.:shocked:

I will be looking for this OL to be rounding into form time the preseason concludes. I expect 9 OL'ers to be on the final 53 player roster.

Been thinking that we in ROD land may have been overlooking Bryce Hager. Never missed a game due to injury in four seasons. Bones top Special Teamer who did play on all his squads. Never blessed with any athletic special gifts, but he has a excellent working brain. That should come in handy on those reads inside. Last years inside starters @ ILB'ers Littleton/ Barron/ Wilson/ Christian missed a ton of reads being caught out of position & seeing things way too late to prevent big gains.

I would bet that Barry has a big list of things to work on & getting improvement in the area pointed out above from his starting two ILB'ers would be top on that list. Not sure Kiser will help him as well as Hager can.

From the offensive line part of it ?? I think Noteboom & Brian Allen are doing an excellent job upfront. The depth at guard is my biggest concern. I’m still not solid on Austin Blythe. He is a good technician though. He Maneuvers defense of lineman around well. He gets over powered easy.
Kolone actually looks okay. He is a strong guy.Evans & Edwards are moving around a lot.Looking forward to the preseason.

Not great blocking form being on your back feet like that.. I’m not sure what photos cam up. There is one Brokers is blowing by him as well. I’m a Brockers fan & hope he does that to all O’lineman this season.

Last edited:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
E0FD86B3-2E66-423C-A5E4-BB4EB45FFB85.png

Here is Austin Blythe on his back legs trying to block. Not great form. Just saying I’m not a big fan & this does
not help change my Perspective of his play.
My point is I believe he is the weak link the last 4 games of the season & playoffs. He played real well against Dallas though.

Last edited:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
87 rec. and 1300 yds receiving last year.... and 11 TDs I'm looking forward to these preseason games.
Exactly - I think he has more upside than JoJo
& might have more value across the board than just a PR guy.
JoJo beat out P. Cooper last year. He was never the same though after the Falcons playoff loss. Pyhro Copper did beat out Tavon Austin though & lucky The Rams were able to trade that contract.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Some of those videos Myles Simmons had of the Dline.

A few observations.

Donald is so fast and flexible.

Joseph-Day is a BIG Dude

—Myles to me was a little bit of a Geek type. Not a true Rams fan either. Just goes to show you. He was better with Fisher, because it didn’t take much to scratch your and wonder.
His player personnel was questionable, at WR ? The guy he cut at Center ? TE’s ?
O’line for sure. Why not put Joyner at FS ??
Ext.ect.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Bill Johnson is gone , so the D’line Is going to
bring in a different mind set. Wade adapts well
to different types off fronts.

Yes Wade has a varied history of different approaches depending on his personnel. But to see them run a 2 gap drill is a bit of an aberration. I attended the last two camps on quite a few dates and never witnessed them run that, now maybe I missed it or something but I doubt it. Just find it interesting that we get a new DL coach and all of a sudden we are practicing 2 gap drills.

There's a story there IMO.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
View attachment 29543

Here is Austin Blythe on his back legs trying to block. Not great form. Just saying I’m not a big fan & this does
not help change my Perspective of his play.
My point is I believe he is the weak link the last 4 games of the season & playoffs. He played real well against Dallas though.

Blythe is probably the weak link physically speaking now that we have two young OL settling in there. He's also a FA at the end of the season so we can bank that the Rams are looking at replacements.

I think Demby should be gunning hard for that job. Edwards too, although it seems like they've started off by running our two rookie OL on the edges. But I'm sure both of them will be part of the group that are given good looks at RG. If Blythe emerges from all that as the starter good on him, but I definitely hope they push him hard.

Ram65

Legend
Lot's of info. Thanks to all. What I liked:

1. Goff stronger and quicker.
2. WRs including Reynolds doing good stuff. Micheal Thomas hanging around too.
3. TEs getting some action. Everett looking in great shape and healthy.
4. Punt return competition.
5. Brown and Henderson doing well while TG gets a little rest.
6. Brockers and SJD showing well.
7. Mathews looking good.
8. DB's healthy with Rapp getting PT.

Camp is being run with a purpose for everything. Like those Gifs Myles posted with the drills. Having Donald around seems to be pushing everyone. Hard work pays off. Rookies are getting in the mix. Scrimmage against the Chargers should give a good view of where players are at. So far it appears the Rams are where they want to be.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Go back and look at OldSchool's posted vid of DL. Am I wrong or is SJD the biggest guy in that pic? That kid is buffed.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Yes Wade has a varied history of different approaches depending on his personnel. But to see them run a 2 gap drill is a bit of an aberration. I attended the last two camps on quite a few dates and never witnessed them run that, now maybe I missed it or something but I doubt it. Just find it interesting that we get a new DL coach and all of a sudden we are practicing 2 gap drills.

There's a story there IMO.

A solid observation. Does Barron not being on team change anything as far as personnel grouping ? Clay Mathews is moving all the time from left de to right de to all lover postions ? The defensive rotation is changing as well. Wade has been a more of a 3-4 guy with a lot of 4-3 concepts. Morgan Fox seems to almost like a 4-3 DT the way he postions himself inside at points ??
There was one play set Everett lined up as a WR on the left sideline. Weddle was lining up as a press CB ?? I don’t know defensive fronts as well I maybe I should,but do see the different rotations.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Blythe is probably the weak link physically speaking now that we have two young OL settling in there. He's also a FA at the end of the season so we can bank that the Rams are looking at replacements.

I think Demby should be gunning hard for that job. Edwards too, although it seems like they've started off by running our two rookie OL on the edges. But I'm sure both of them will be part of the group that are given good looks at RG. If Blythe emerges from all that as the starter good on him, but I definitely hope they push him hard.
Agreed , to think Allen & Noteboom are going to be starters already. Nice job by Kromer. The scary thing is depth again ?? Last year he went light on the O’line numbers. I think they only carried 8 & 7 on game day.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
I dont understand all the shade on Blythe. Yea the dude is not a pro bowler, but the minute he came in for Sullivan 2 seasons ago, there was no drop off. He can also play multiple positions on the line. I get we got exciting new blood, but Blythe is a solid dude despite his last 4 games last season, which keep in mind the entire team played "off" those games.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Lot's of info. Thanks to all. What I liked:

1. Goff stronger and quicker.
2. WRs including Reynolds doing good stuff. Micheal Thomas hanging around too.
3. TEs getting some action. Everett looking in great shape and healthy.
4. Punt return competition.
5. Brown and Henderson doing well while TG gets a little rest.
6. Brockers and SJD showing well.
7. Mathews looking good.
8. DB's healthy with Rapp getting PT.

Camp is being run with a purpose for everything. Like those Gifs Myles posted with the drills. Having Donald around seems to be pushing everyone. Hard work pays off. Rookies are getting in the mix. Scrimmage against the Chargers should give a good view of where players are at. So far it appears the Rams are where they want to be.
Then to Dallas, Mcvay likes changing it up
& getting an idea of his where his players stand against different competed
Competition. Being in Baltimore gave him some on-site on how they practice. I’m sure he has some neat ideas from that experience. He was quoted as something along the lines as watching Eric Weddle live as well.

oldnotdead

Legend
The first week is basically an extension of the OTA's but with the entire team participating. That is to say there is a lot of experimenting going on. When I said in another post that when TC really gets rolling, that part will happen when they get back from their short break. The coaching staff uses that break to build their depth chart and plan who they really want to look at in preseason. I expect they will again not play most starters in preseason and those they do only on a limited basis.

I'm not surprised that Hager is rotating in with the 1's. He has speed and coverage skills that Kiser doesn't have and this allows him to matchup better in coverage. The second ILB use to be called the MO LB and usually was the coverage ILB. Hager is a better matchup with RB's and TE's and can play both man and zone. Kiser isn't a good matchup in man coverage so he's strictly a zone coverage LB. Middleton is also a zone coverage LB so that isn't necessarily a bad thing. But having one of the two able to play man gives Wade more flexibility.

I'm also not surprised that Gaines is starting out with the 2's. SJD has been there a year so he's ahead simply because he understands the scheme better. He can play faster because he's not thinking his way through plays. All that will change as the season progresses. That is when the real battle for the position will start.

Dante Fowler is looking like his 2017 self, i.e. fast, quick, strong with some new moves. I expect an 8-10 sack season from him this year.

For those who attend camp and can watch SJD in his drills I'm interested in if he has learned to keep his pads down. Coming into the NFL, he was an early down 5T, who was expected to set a hard edge in the run defense. Because he rarely played inside he tended to play too upright and without power or leverage. Now he's playing inside at 1T and he needs to keep his pads down and play with leverage and power. He's a physically imposing man but he had trouble playing that way. Case in point when he played against Mich St they played him inside on many snaps thinking he would be a miss match against....guess who....Brian Allen who absolutely stoned him. In college SJD had problems getting off blocks. That cannot happen if he wants to start at 1T. I'm going to be interested in if he has improved his game as much as his physique.

We will get a much better feel for who will be playing where over the next two weeks. This will be when the real team is built for this season. The guys you see playing from the middle of the 3rd qtr of the 3rd pre-season game are the bubble sitters. Most won't make the team. The reality is most of these guys have 2.5 pre-season games to make the team. This is why they could drop the 4th game completely and not have it affect anything at all.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I dont understand all the shade on Blythe. Yea the dude is not a pro bowler, but the minute he came in for Sullivan 2 seasons ago, there was no drop off. He can also play multiple positions on the line. I get we got exciting new blood, but Blythe is a solid dude despite his last 4 games last season, which keep in mind the entire team played "off" those games.

Then that is the good news. He was a starter for the Super Bowl Rams & earned that spot.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame