CAMP REPORT Camp Report: Day 4

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

Have to add Higbee & Cooks got back to back passes. Sort of cool to see. I left early but have a few takes from camp today.

Everett looks leaner,stronger,faster. I think I saw Reynold make a real nice play. Copper Kupp made a play on an out. Cooks looks really quick. Wants to get physical in the middle. Nice to see. I think he might have bulked up.
Not sure if my a d d will kick in posting. I think I might go all over the place. Am open for discussions .

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I'm really enjoying reading about JRey lighting things up. It complicates things a little to have a guy who knows he deserves to be starting on the bench, but damn it's a good prob to have. (y)

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Another energetic practice. Couldn't ask for better weather, upper 70's with a nice breeze. Hooked up with VRF and later theDuke showed up. We were in the end zone of the south field and we first got a look at guys taking punt from the machine. Austin Proehl, Jo Jo Natson, Nsima Webster, Alex Bachman all got a couple of turns. they had 5 gunners coming at them as the ball was shot to them from the machine. Jo Jo still has the best juke moves and is quicker than the rest. I rate Webster not far behind him. The others, meh. At the end of the drill, Jo Jo fielded 5 punts before he dropped all of them trying to field the sixth. (two in each arm and one between his legs).

3: 45 rest of team on field stretching, Myles Simmons walks by and we all give him the business for going over to the Raiders.

Gurley dressed but held out. LB Okow not dressed, tight hammy, was told he should go on Sat. in scrimmage with Chargers.

I think McVay wanted a quieter first part of practice as most position groups worked on technique and situationals. they didn't really start going at each other till after the second hour with 7 on 7's.

7 on 7. Woods from Goff,, Henderson quick out. Kupp quick out. Gff looking sharp, getting ball out quick. Rookie Long with a nice breakup. Everrett with play action TD. Mundt TD vs 1st unit D. Austin Proel from Brotles nice play action catch. Brown wiith sideline grab for TD from Goff. Higbee gets one over the middle in traffic.

Nice to have someone who knows X's and O's (theDuke) to talk with as practice goes on. We were reminecing about the fisher TC's when more balls hit the ground than were caught. Not many balls hitting the ground this TC.

On to Red Zone drill. 2nd OL Evans LT, Demby LG, Nearly C, Kolone RG, Edwards RT. Bortles moved the ball, tucked it and ran for yds on one play, Henderson screen from Goff for TD for 1st team O. Kupp TD over middle.

Here I had my first technical issue. My pen quit working :shocked:. Everything is now from memory not much more though some 11 on 11 with a lot of good contact.

Kupp got a long pass from Goff, Brown got some good runs and catches. Bortles connected to Thomas for a nice gain. 1st team D got to Bortles couple of times. Jo-Day with a sack (He was with 1st team all practice, Gaines with 2nd D.

I'll put down more as I remember and VRF and the Duke chime in again. Great practice. players were intense and they don't get to do any standing around. No fights.

I think they are all off tomorrow and go to Costa Mesa a few miles down the roed to scrimmage and practice with the Chargers They start at 10am and I plan to be there.

Thursday will be an early report. I'll try and post as soon as I get home.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I'm surprised they aren't Playing Blythe at C at all.

He got beat bad one time today. He looks small. I thought Allen was going to be the smaller guy up front. I’m not a big Blythe fan
though. He did nothing to impress me at all.

The depth up front is weak,minus the players
that have been talked about. Preseason could get ugly upfront ?? Don’t know why Matt Kaskey came up on my chart. Maybe the way patted him on the butt one time ??

Disappointed I did not get a good look from the offensive line. I usually do, but they cut off
Certain areas. Hard to move around. I was all
Over the place though for the limited time I was there.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
Obo needs to get his @$$ in gear. Being injured your first two camps is a great way to get a bad rep or even a ticket out of the league.

I was very high on his selection and where they got him in the draft. And yes I know injuries happen but Jesus man.
His foot injury was severe enough to need surgery, hammies happen. What exactly do you want him to do?

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Another energetic practice. Couldn't ask for better weather, upper 70's with a nice breeze. Hooked up with VRF and later theDuke showed up. We were in the end zone of the south field and we first got a look at guys taking punt from the machine. Austin Proehl, Jo Jo Natson, Nsima Webster, Alex Bachman all got a couple of turns. they had 5 gunners coming at them as the ball was shot to them from the machine. Jo Jo still has the best juke moves and is quicker than the rest. I rate Webster not far behind him. The others, meh. At the end of the drill, Jo Jo fielded 5 punts before he dropped all of them trying to field the sixth. (two in each arm and one between his legs).

3: 45 rest of team on field stretching, Myles Simmons walks by and we all give him the business for going over to the Raiders.

Gurley dressed but held out. LB Okow not dressed, tight hammy, was told he should go on Sat. in scrimmage with Chargers.

I think McVay wanted a quieter first part of practice as most position groups worked on technique and situationals. they didn't really start going at each other till after the second hour with 7 on 7's.

7 on 7. Woods from Goff,, Henderson quick out. Kupp quick out. Gff looking sharp, getting ball out quick. Rookie Long with a nice breakup. Everrett with play action TD. Mundt TD vs 1st unit D. Austin Proel from Brotles nice play action catch. Brown wiith sideline grab for TD from Goff. Higbee gets one over the middle in traffic.

Nice to have someone who knows X's and O's (theDuke) to talk with as practice goes on. We were reminecing about the fisher TC's when more balls hit the ground than were caught. Not many balls hitting the ground this TC.

On to Red Zone drill. 2nd OL Evans LT, Demby LG, Nearly C, Kolone RG, Edwards RT. Bortles moved the ball, tucked it and ran for yds on one play, Henderson screen from Goff for TD for 1st team O. Kupp TD over middle.

Here I had my first technical issue. My pen quit working :shocked:. Everything is now from memory not much more though some 11 on 11 with a lot of good contact.

Kupp got a long pass from Goff, Brown got some good runs and catches. Bortles connected to Thomas for a nice gain. 1st team D got to Bortles couple of times. Jo-Day with a sack (He was with 1st team all practice, Gaines with 2nd D.

I'll put down more as I remember and VRF and the Duke chime in again. Great practice. players were intense and they don't get to do any standing around. No fights.

I think they are all off tomorrow and go to Costa Mesa a few miles down the roed to scrimmage and practice with the Chargers They start at 10am and I plan to be there.

Thursday will be an early report. I'll try and post as soon as I get home.

Yeah - I didn’t see you guys. Anyway freaking pisses me off I can’t go to the Chargers vs Rams. Could ride my bike quick. This was probably the only practice I’ll make.

Saw almost all those plays you reported. I did get to the D”Line. Watch them. They were mellow, for the most part early.
—Gosh I like Brockers work ethic & leadership. Donald wasn’t around early.Think he was interviewing??

For those that talk about cutting Brockers really don’t understand what he means to the D”Line. My take from today is how freaking
much Morgan Fox is going to mean to The Rams upfront. He is going to get a lot of reps.
I thought he got some first team reps today ??

#69 is the man in the middle though. Was next to Gaines. He is strong ,but smallish ?

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
His foot injury was severe enough to need surgery, hammies happen. What exactly do you want him to do?

Can’t say much about injuries. I do know though that Morgan Fox got injured last season & is back. He goes from DL to OLB to Now DL !! I enjoy his motor watching over the years. Weird not seeing Westbrook’s & his gold teeth. He was a cool cat.

I’m going to repeat myself with players I noticed today. Everett is one of them. I think it I first time in 3 years I’ve seen him in camp healthy.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
https://www.therams.com/news/10-observations-from-day-4-of-rams-2019-training-camp

10 Observations from Day 4 of Rams 2019 training camp
yxqee8vl8lffkokpp7ky.jpg

Myles Simmons
RAMS INSIDER

After each training camp practice, senior writer/team insider Myles Simmons will share his top observations from the session. Here are the notes from Tuesday, July 30.

1) The Rams were in full pads for the first time this training camp on Tuesday. With that, the club had a couple different special teams drills that can make individuals stand out from the pack. The first was a punt drill, where coordinator John “Bones” Fassel set up a one-on-one type of drill with analogous positions on the punt team and the return team. Essentially, it was a man-on-man situation to see who could win each challenge.

2) As that was happening, JoJo Natson, Austin Proehl, Nsimba Webster, and Alex Bachman served as the punt returners — catching the ball from the JUGS machine. Running back Matt Colburn demonstrated his potential value by bursting down the field as a gunner more than once.

3) The defense began the first period of practice with a pursuit drill. Notably on the first-team defense, Bryce Hager was on the field as the unit’s second inside linebacker next to Cory Littleton. Hager and second-year LB Micah Kiser have traded days at that spot through the first four days of camp.

4) The defensive line and outside linebackers went to a smaller auxiliary field to go through some individual drills. There, both position groups had tho extend their arms against a sled, then move their feet in order to see exactly what direction the “ball carrier” (which, in this case, was their position coach) was going. Even defensive tackle Aaron Donald didn’t quite do the drill right at first.

View: https://twitter.com/MylesASimmons/status/1156344075152310273?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1156344075152310273&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.therams.com%2Fnews%2F10-observations-from-day-4-of-rams-2019-training-camp

5) For another defensive line drill, position coach Eric Henderson had the players stay low out of the chute but then find a tackling donut. The drill forces the players to both keep their pad level in a good spot while keeping their eyes up.

View: https://twitter.com/MylesASimmons/status/1156344528971763714?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1156344528971763714&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.therams.com%2Fnews%2F10-observations-from-day-4-of-rams-2019-training-camp

6) And one last defensive line drill — which Donald dominated — the players each had to touch a towel on the ground before knocking a tackling dummy over in the backfield.

View: https://twitter.com/MylesASimmons/status/1156347138135080960?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1156347138135080960&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.therams.com%2Fnews%2F10-observations-from-day-4-of-rams-2019-training-camp

7) During 11-on-11 drills, Donald and outside linebacker Dante Fowler got off the ball so fast on one play that they nearly took a handoff from backup quarterback Blake Bortles in the backfield. The pair of defenders absolutely ruined the play for the offense, and embraced one another in celebration near the sideline. Everyone knows what to expect from Donald, but Fowler has put tighter a nice camp so far.

8) During a starters vs. starters 11-on-11 period in the red zone, quarterback Jared Goff connected with running back Darrell Henderson for a touchdown over the middle. Then a play later, Goff hit wideout Cooper Kupp with an out route to the right for another touchdown.

9) Tight end Tyler Higbee also had a few nice receptions during Tuesday’s practice. Earlier in the day, he caught a pass deep down the middle for what ostensibly could have been a touchdown. Then Goff finished a two-minute drill with a pass in the back of the end zone to the tight end for a clear score.

10) In another two-minute drill, wide receiver Josh Reynolds elevated and caught a pass from Bortles on the right side of the field. Reynolds continues to use his frame in order to make plays throughout training camp.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
69 is Sebastian Joseph-Day and he's been starting at NT with Brockers on his left and Donald on his right. Gaines has been starting NT for the 2nd team D.

Day and Brockers are about the same size. Both look in terrific shape and giving the OL all they can handle. I really like what I'm seeing from the starting DL.

No one is missing Suh.

On that "touch the towel" drill from Myles Simmons post, the second guy after AD was Jo-Day.

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
1) The Rams were in full pads for the first time this training camp on Tuesday. With that, the club had a couple different special teams drills that can make individuals stand out from the pack. The first was a punt drill, where coordinator John “Bones” Fassel set up a one-on-one type of drill with analogous positions on the punt team and the return team. Essentially, it was a man-on-man situation to see who could win each challenge.

Myles lol. Dude goes out of his way to use words like "analogous" above, or "ostensibly" which is one he uses quite a bit, etc., on top of extended explanations. So irritating and Raiders fans gonna have a lot of fun with that.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Going back to BubbaRam punt returns. I didn’t get a great look , but 14 did take the first 2 in practice. I think he is smooth & adds more value on special teams. Webster stood out a little. Malcom Brown is impressive!! Just adding to special teams. Hager is back as well.

My back is Littleton is not going to play much special teams ?? I can’t say at all,but I could see Littleton being able to concentrate mainly at MLB.
Hodge #11 showed up on a play ?
Number 84 Brooker will not make The Rams squad. Mundt will have a good chance. That was a nice catch he had today. Number game though ?? How many TE’s ??

bluecoconuts

Legend
Loving these camp reports!

Also love the D-Line drills they ran, this team is really trending in the right direction, I'm more hyped already than I ever was during those dark days, and training camp was all we had back then!

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Webster can field punts. If he can show as a WR in pre-season he might have a chance to unseat Jo Jo as 6the WR.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2) As that was happening, JoJo Natson, Austin Proehl, Nsimba Webster, and Alex Bachman served as the punt returners — catching the ball from the JUGS machine. Running back Matt Colburn demonstrated his potential value by bursting down the field as a gunner more than once.

Man I love watching the gunner reps, fine way for a guy like Colburn to try to crack this roster. And yeah if Webster is making noise on returns dude is well on his way.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
4) The defensive line and outside linebackers went to a smaller auxiliary field to go through some individual drills. There, both position groups had tho extend their arms against a sled, then move their feet in order to see exactly what direction the “ball carrier” (which, in this case, was their position coach) was going. Even defensive tackle Aaron Donald didn’t quite do the drill right at first.

This is a really intriguing note above: that is a 2 gap drill. Makes me wonder whether the Rams made note of how the Patriots ran varied fronts defensively against them and elected to build some of that ability on their own roster.

Also wonder what Wade thinks about it.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
69 is Sebastian Joseph-Day and he's been starting at NT with Brockers on his left and Donald on his right. Gaines has been starting NT for the 2nd team D.

Day and Brockers are about the same size. Both look in terrific shape and giving the OL all they can handle. I really like what I'm seeing from the starting DL.

No one is missing Suh.

On that "touch the towel" drill from Myles Simmons post, the second guy after AD was Jo-Day.

What about Morgan Fox ?? Maybe my eye site is bad ?? SJD played well last year in training camp. He had a couple late hits that I though might even get him cut. He knocked Goff on his ass right in front of Mcvay. SJD has bulked up.

Franklin-Myers looks like he is banged up a bit . Smart is slow off the line.

Donald camp in on the drill the DLman start in there stance under a flat tent like thing. Brokers was impressive for his height. SJD
Has a nice explosive stance.
SJD was in on the 2nd team. He jumped offsides & then ran past Mcvay out of the drill.
Brockers came in (subbed) as #69 did 10 push-ups. Weak push-up form imo . Lol

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
My take on the DB’s . I told Peters I liked his sexy shorts. He was pointing at me. Sort of funny. Gave him some thumb ups. He enjoys his music. Puts him in a good vibe.

Troy Hill is looking sharp. He is such a solid special teams guy. I like him. Once again for fans saying trade & cut him. There is a reason he got a 2 year extension.

Hatfield made a nice play. He was wondering if it was a penalty, because I think he knocked someone on there butt.

Weddle made a nice play. I got him going by calling his name. Donald ran up & picked him up. Donald was having fun. In good spirits. He slapped Clay 5 after a QB sack. Going to be fun watching the Vets. Called Weddle an old man. He dresses in all long sleeves & pants.unlike Peters.

Speaking of Talib is just a solid CB.

I’m a big fan of Richards. Not sure he makes it, but he always shows up. Marquis Christian
got some solid reps today. Both blondes?? Lol.

John Johnson is real good.

Watching ball machine drilles. I liked especially with full pads. They just come up on the ball running forward. The DB’s have some good hands. #41 David Long missed his ball.
Was not impressed.

Taylor Rapp #24 will play good special teams.
Just a view point.

—- I just like the way The Rams are all about such as ball security & also a drill with INT’s.

Last edited:

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Ramon Richards is having a good TC. Lining up with 2nd team D