CAMP REPORT Camp Report: Day 4

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
Saw the headline and knew it had to come from either PFF or 3K at TST.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...ense-can-do-same-stuff-if-not-more-than-rams/

“The film speaks for itself,” Mixon said, via the Dayton Daily News. “You see the Rams running wild all day. We’ve got that same offense. I would think we have better players than them with these offensive weapons. I would think we can do the same stuff, if not more, than they can.”
Mixon bruh, you don't even have an offensive line or an adequate QB.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I dont understand all the shade on Blythe. Yea the dude is not a pro bowler, but the minute he came in for Sullivan 2 seasons ago, there was no drop off. He can also play multiple positions on the line. I get we got exciting new blood, but Blythe is a solid dude despite his last 4 games last season, which keep in mind the entire team played "off" those games.

Rams are trying to build a champion, so I think they want to get better than a "solid dude." Queue up the Super Bowl tape and the answers are right there. ZBS allows for smaller linemen, but no matter what scheme you run guys getting trucked or missing assignments will blow up a play.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Mixon bruh, you don't even have an offensive line or an adequate QB.

Yeah I think Dalton's about equivalent to Cousins if he is all in with the system. But he's no Goff. Not by a long shot. We're not doing anything radically different than anyone else, tbh. McVay is a rare scheme builder, but he still requires a high end talent QB who can throw all over the field with top accuracy and anticipation to put up a top 3 type offense.

There's a reason McVay didn't have a top offense in Washington (24th, 10th, 12th)... And I believe it's the QB difference.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
The first week is basically an extension of the OTA's but with the entire team participating. That is to say there is a lot of experimenting going on. When I said in another post that when TC really gets rolling, that part will happen when they get back from their short break. The coaching staff uses that break to build their depth chart and plan who they really want to look at in preseason. I expect they will again not play most starters in preseason and those they do only on a limited basis.

I'm not surprised that Hager is rotating in with the 1's. He has speed and coverage skills that Kiser doesn't have and this allows him to matchup better in coverage. The second ILB use to be called the MO LB and usually was the coverage ILB. Hager is a better matchup with RB's and TE's and can play both man and zone. Kiser isn't a good matchup in man coverage so he's strictly a zone coverage LB. Middleton is also a zone coverage LB so that isn't necessarily a bad thing. But having one of the two able to play man gives Wade more flexibility.

I'm also not surprised that Gaines is starting out with the 2's. SJD has been there a year so he's ahead simply because he understands the scheme better. He can play faster because he's not thinking his way through plays. All that will change as the season progresses. That is when the real battle for the position will start.

Dante Fowler is looking like his 2017 self, i.e. fast, quick, strong with some new moves. I expect an 8-10 sack season from him this year.

For those who attend camp and can watch SJD in his drills I'm interested in if he has learned to keep his pads down. Coming into the NFL, he was an early down 5T, who was expected to set a hard edge in the run defense. Because he rarely played inside he tended to play too upright and without power or leverage. Now he's playing inside at 1T and he needs to keep his pads down and play with leverage and power. He's a physically imposing man but he had trouble playing that way. Case in point when he played against Mich St they played him inside on many snaps thinking he would be a miss match against....guess who....Brian Allen who absolutely stoned him. In college SJD had problems getting off blocks. That cannot happen if he wants to start at 1T. I'm going to be interested in if he has improved his game as much as his physique.

We will get a much better feel for who will be playing where over the next two weeks. This will be when the real team is built for this season. The guys you see playing from the middle of the 3rd qtr of the 3rd pre-season game are the bubble sitters. Most won't make the team. The reality is most of these guys have 2.5 pre-season games to make the team. This is why they could drop the 4th game completely and not have it affect anything at all.

1. Kiser can cover sideline to sideline. He came up on a player & I made a sound effect.
He would have destroyed the RB before he could get out of bounds. Weird. When plays with pads he seems smaller & faster. I would not take anything away from his performance.
Hager cover well in the flat.Made a coy ice plays as well.

2. Gaines ?? He is a question mark. I’m liking Morgan Fox better even though they do not play the same position.

3. SJD ?? Well no comparison between Gaines & SJD. Night & day ?? Yes as far as
His stance. They get under this trampoline looking thing to help keep there body low.
He was impressive,but not as much so a Brockers who is one of the taller big DLman.
He jumped off sides & did 10 push-ups. He did explode out of his stance right in front of Mcvay. He said something to him.Probably good form though.
4. Fowler is being over looked. Should be his best pro season coming up.

Preseason should be fun & more camp reports. The Chargers have a solid squad
and they are healthy.

Thinking of the Chargers. I thought Weddle was going to look better than he did yesterday. Watching that play over the top of him for a TD,& seeing the photo gives me concern of his lack of speed.He has no wheels. Looks slow. I still have high hopes,but wasn’t thinking that. Rivers loves the long ball, so a for warning.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Yeah I think Dalton's about equivalent to Cousins if he is all in with the system. But he's no Goff. Not by a long shot. We're not doing anything radically different than anyone else, tbh. McVay is a rare scheme builder, but he still requires a high end talent QB who can throw all over the field with top accuracy and anticipation to put up a top 3 type offense.

There's a reason McVay didn't have a top offense in Washington (24th, 10th, 12th)... And I believe it's the QB difference.

Agree, Dalton is your average run of the mill QB. Was just watching the Vikes training camp nfl net. He wears the Bradford#8 Jersey.
Unbelievable Bradford is already out of the league.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Saw the headline and knew it had to come from either PFF or 3K at TST.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...ense-can-do-same-stuff-if-not-more-than-rams/

“The film speaks for itself,” Mixon said, via the Dayton Daily News. “You see the Rams running wild all day. We’ve got that same offense. I would think we have better players than them with these offensive weapons. I would think we can do the same stuff, if not more, than they can.”
Yeah maybe but....Andy Dalton.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
Rams are trying to build a champion, so I think they want to get better than a "solid dude." Queue up the Super Bowl tape and the answers are right there. ZBS allows for smaller linemen, but no matter what scheme you run guys getting trucked or missing assignments will blow up a play.
Absolutely agree, but a lot went wrong in the SB. I just think it's weird to disregard a guy who has done quite well for us, for new guys who haven't played a down. If Blythe gets beat out, he gets beat out, but considering he beat out a decent player in Brown last season, he has earned his right to stay.

oldnotdead

Legend
I have to agree with Merlin. I Like Rams, with all due respect and I honestly mean that, as I've been saying simply watch the NFC Championship game. Ignore everything else just watch Blythe. You will see all you need in the Rams very first series. The first 3 plays he blows 2 blocks. Later in the game he simply gets bull rushed and ends up on the ground and Goff has no time. There are another 1 or two instances as well. Watch that game isolating on Blythe, then look at PFF's grade for Blythe. Like I said they lie when they say they watch every play. Their grades are worthless. It's why only the media uses PFF and coaches just shake their heads.

Blythe was fine when they didn't have options. But they do this year. When you go up against a defense like Chicago's they will exploit his weakness the entire game. The oline is a fence...it's only as strong as the weakest link. What the team didn't tell the public was Brown didn't get his job back because of his drug abuse issues. Blythe got the start by default. If he is truly the best RG on the team, fine. But IMO there are 3 other guys behind him that would be better, Demby, Evans & Edwards. BTW Edwards was seen with the 2's at RG at times. Yes Kromer cross trains, but a OT always makes a better OG than a center.

I for one don't want Blythe at RG when they play the Bears. That is an elite front 7. It's not worth risking Goff's health for a guy they might not sign next year. I'm sure Blythe is giving 100% but he's a back up level talent. Every pre-draft professional evaluation had a backup grade on him and for very good reasons. Reasons back then I'm still pointing out going into his 3rd year. I come back to the fact that if he isn't good enough to start at center his only real position, why is he starting at RG a much more demanding blocking position?

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29
I have to agree with Merlin. I Like Rams, with all due respect and I honestly mean that, as I've been saying simply watch the NFC Championship game. Ignore everything else just watch Blythe. You will see all you need in the Rams very first series. The first 3 plays he blows 2 blocks. Later in the game he simply gets bull rushed and ends up on the ground and Goff has no time. There are another 1 or two instances as well. Watch that game isolating on Blythe, then look at PFF's grade for Blythe. Like I said they lie when they say they watch every play. Their grades are worthless. It's why only the media uses PFF and coaches just shake their heads.

Blythe was fine when they didn't have options. But they do this year. When you go up against a defense like Chicago's they will exploit his weakness the entire game. The oline is a fence...it's only as strong as the weakest link. What the team didn't tell the public was Brown didn't get his job back because of his drug abuse issues. Blythe got the start by default. If he is truly the best RG on the team, fine. But IMO there are 3 other guys behind him that would be better, Demby, Evans & Edwards. BTW Edwards was seen with the 2's at RG at times. Yes Kromer cross trains, but a OT always makes a better OG than a center.

I for one don't want Blythe at RG when they play the Bears. That is an elite front 7. It's not worth risking Goff's health for a guy they might not sign next year. I'm sure Blythe is giving 100% but he's a back up level talent. Every pre-draft professional evaluation had a backup grade on him and for very good reasons. Reasons back then I'm still pointing out going into his 3rd year. I come back to the fact that if he isn't good enough to start at center his only real position, why is he starting at RG a much more demanding blocking position?

The more people started questioning Blythe, the more I paid attention..and you're right...he had some moments when he was overmatched...

and I'm hopeful that we have some young depth now that I think can push him in this camp, and maybe take his spot if they show they're are a better option

that spot is interesting… Jamon Brown had his time..played well....then he's done..... Blythe played well....maybe now we've gotten all he has out of him now, and time to move on

I like Rams

Hall of Fame

He was suspended for 2 games at the beginning of last season for violation of using a banned substance in 2017. 1 time in 4 yrs with the team. I wouldnt call that a drug abuse problem, unless you are close to him and know his personal life. I respect your opinion on Blythe and I'll give those games a look again, but there is a difference bw "3 other guys that WOULD be better" and "guys that ARE better", is all i'm saying.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Been thinking that we in ROD land may have been overlooking Bryce Hager. Never missed a game due to injury in four seasons. Bones top Special Teamer who did play on all his squads. Never blessed with any athletic special gifts, but he has a excellent working brain. That should come in handy on those reads inside. Last years inside starters @ ILB'ers Littleton/ Barron/ Wilson/ Christian missed a ton of reads being caught out of position & seeing things way too late to prevent big gains.

I would bet that Barry has a big list of things to work on & getting improvement in the area pointed out above from his starting two ILB'ers would be top on that list. Not sure Kiser will help him as well as Hager can.

My question on this is if the Rams value Hager that much - why was he re-signed so late? I'd strongly suspect that if they felt he was more than insurance, they would have thrown a few hundred thousand extra to him, and resigned him relatively early in the free agency period, in the second or third wave of signings.

It's not that I don't think he can do ok, I just don't see the Rams valuing him as more than depth and a good ST player.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
My question on this is if the Rams value Hager that much - why was he re-signed so late? I'd strongly suspect that if they felt he was more than insurance, they would have thrown a few hundred thousand extra to him, and resigned him relatively early in the free agency period, in the second or third wave of signings.

It's not that I don't think he can do ok, I just don't see the Rams valuing him as more than depth and a good ST player.
Your thoughts on this have merit. My take is on it is the Rams like to give players like Bryce a chance to test the free agency market out of respect. Bryce Hager has been a highly valued reserve too on top of what he brought to Bone's ST unit.

BH has played 2 seasons in Gregg Williams 43 D & the last two in Wade's 34 D. Thus he had a good chance to find a team where he could start IF that was his primary objective. I have no information on BH 's travels as a UFA I would think he was a very low profile UFA that did not get much notice. Myself I do not place to much weight on the lateness of his signing. I believe he always knew he could return to the Rams & secure a contract if his $$$ were reasonable.

In truth Akrasian the Rams were in good condition @ the two interior LB'ing positions without BH. Snead drafted two ILB'er in 2018 draft & again he drafted another Dakota Allen in this past draft to go with the cap friendly signing of Clay Matthews plus the two of last seasons players (Littleton/ Christian) who played a ton of snaps. So there was no real need flip couch pillows around to find some spare cap cash for BH.

Rams did have real issues @ OLB'er last season due to injuries (Fox/ Okoronwko/ Young/ Easley/ Ebukam/ Carlos Thompson/ Marcus Martin & Ryan Davis to name a few)......so IMO the ILB'er position was a 2nd or even a 3rd tier issue compared to the tier level issue @ OLB/ER unit.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just an FYI for those of us that want as much coverage as possible. NFLN will be live from Rams Chargers join practice today. I believe they said it starts at 10am PDT.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He was impressive,but not as much so a Brockers who is one of the taller big DLman.
He jumped off sides & did 10 push-ups. He did explode out of his stance right in front of Mcvay. He said something to him.Probably good form though.

How cool would it be for Brock to bounce back with a great season? If we can just get the guy we saw two years ago on top of adding Fowler & Matthews holy crap we're talkin some pressure on opposing OL.

Today's practice vs the Chargers is going to be very important for these linemen. The staff should get a full look at guys in game type intensity and pads.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
How cool would it be for Brock to bounce back with a great season? If we can just get the guy we saw two years ago on top of adding Fowler & Matthews holy crap we're talkin some pressure on opposing OL.

Today's practice vs the Chargers is going to be very important for these linemen. The staff should get a full look at guys in game type intensity and pads.
Freaking can’t make it. Just 2 miles away.OC fair is going on as well. I’m not sure about Chargers O’line. I think they drafted those guys everyone wanted The Rams to draft 3 years ago. The Rams drafted Everett & JJ instead.

The true test I believe is the other way around. 2 years ago I got a good look at Bosa & that stud on the Lde . They have an excellent pass rush & defense.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Your thoughts on this have merit. My take is on it is the Rams like to give players like Bryce a chance to test the free agency market out of respect. Bryce Hager has been a highly valued reserve too on top of what he brought to Bone's ST unit.

BH has played 2 seasons in Gregg Williams 43 D & the last two in Wade's 34 D. Thus he had a good chance to find a team where he could start IF that was his primary objective. I have no information on BH 's travels as a UFA I would think he was a very low profile UFA that did not get much notice. Myself I do not place to much weight on the lateness of his signing. I believe he always knew he could return to the Rams & secure a contract if his $$$ were reasonable.

In truth Akrasian the Rams were in good condition @ the two interior LB'ing positions without BH. Snead drafted two ILB'er in 2018 draft & again he drafted another Dakota Allen in this past draft to go with the cap friendly signing of Clay Matthews plus the two of last seasons players (Littleton/ Christian) who played a ton of snaps. So there was no real need flip couch pillows around to find some spare cap cash for BH.

Rams did have real issues @ OLB'er last season due to injuries (Fox/ Okoronwko/ Young/ Easley/ Ebukam/ Carlos Thompson/ Marcus Martin & Ryan Davis to name a few)......so IMO the ILB'er position was a 2nd or even a 3rd tier issue compared to the tier level issue @ OLB/ER unit.

Not sure I total follow ?? Young looks good, Lawler is another ?

BH vs MK ?? MK is not the special teams guy BH is, but as far as a MLB ? MK is a tackling machine. Yes BH is good in the flat and making reads. I’ll venture back to this subject during the preseason.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Not sure I total follow ?? Young looks good, Lawler is another ?

BH vs MK ?? MK is not the special teams guy BH is, but as far as a MLB ? MK is a tackling machine. Yes BH is good in the flat and making reads. I’ll venture back to this subject during the preseason.
Open to questions.....on my post if needed.