Cam Akers Out - Coach's Decision

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Antonius

Pro Bowler
Just an observation, I am by no means an expert

But I’ve read this criticism of McVay before - he has a tendency to not handle conflict well. Or at all. Meaning he may be quick to get rid of a guy instead of trying to de-escalate a situation. I don’t know Akers character. Or what went on in practice. It just seems like a quick move to go from praise to “you’re fucking gone”. I trust coach, and this is just something I’ve noticed.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan

But I’ve read this criticism of McVay before - he has a tendency to not handle conflict well. Or at all. Meaning he may be quick to get rid of a guy instead of trying to de-escalate a situation. I don’t know Akers character. Or what went on in practice. It just seems like a quick move to go from praise to “you’re fucking gone”. I trust coach, and this is just something I’ve noticed.

If this wasn’t something that occurred last year, and corrected I would be inclined to agree.

But this was an issue last year. McVay gave him opportunities and those issues went away.

Now they’re back after homie averaged less than 2 yards a carry.

I don’t think this one is on McVay.

WestCoastRam

Legend

There seems to be something to this but McVay also handled Peters, Suh, Ramsey, OBJ, etc... fairly well who all had noted conflict with others in their career. It seems to me that the conflict in question seems to come from a disagreement on how to do their job.

oldnotdead

Legend
Akers fought his way back from a serious injury. He's frustrated, but he can't see the truth, where his lack of versatility is what is hurting him. We not Me....remember? McVay doesn't want a disgruntled player in his locker room and I can agree with that.

Akers should shop himself to the Ravens or Lions both of whom need a good RB and both teams are playoff contenders. Holmes and Goff know Akers so going to Detroit wouldn't be unthinkable.

André

Always far too invested
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'll be surprised if we get anything for him at all, and genuinely shocked if it is better than a sixth round pick.

Varg6

Starter
Name
Jake
It’s hard to say how other teams view/value Akers, but I’d like to think a team like Baltimore might give us decent capital in return. I just hope we don’t take too crappy of a deal.

Ultimately, I’m pretty disappointed about this whole situation. I was really hoping Cam would be the guy. Loving what Kyren is doing, but it’s just a bummer we couldn’t get this to work out.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Don
You can add the Browns to the list of possible destinations for Akers. That Chubb injury was nasty, such a bummer for him

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think we are seeing the writing on the wall with Cam, as far as the Rams are concerned. he has probably had his last touch as a Ram.
Maybe, a lot of people said that last year and he came back strong.

TXRams86

The Infamous
It’s hard to say how other teams view/value Akers, but I’d like to think a team like Baltimore might give us decent capital in return. I just hope we don’t take too crappy of a deal.

Ultimately, I’m pretty disappointed about this whole situation. I was really hoping Cam would be the guy. Loving what Kyren is doing, but it’s just a bummer we couldn’t get this to work out.
ANY deal that ends up with us getting something in exchange for Akers is a good deal. He has little to no trade value so I think getting anything back will be a win.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
For the record the Browns 2024 draft picks look like the Rams picks the last few years. No first from the Watson trade, a 2nd and 3rd 2 5th 2 6th and 2 7th I think it was. Lots on day 3 and a 2nd and 3rd.

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
I’m thinking it’ll be our 7th for their 6th type trade. A move up at back end of draft. Not even an actual additional pick.

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If they even get anything for him. Not the first time he's driven down trade values this way our McVay.
It seems that happens every time we want to trade a player. He sure didn't help Goff's value when he got traded.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Very he said/ she said on the "confusing" part from Akers in McVay's reply in Jourdan's article today.