Cam Akers Out - Coach's Decision

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Cam Akers for Tavius Robinson or Trenton Simpson. Both are back up OLBs in Baltimore.
Yeah ... but Simpson and Robinson were the Ravens' 3rd and 4th round picks this past Draft.

Baltimore is not going to deal them for Akers.

Is Akers really any better than Gus Edwards, Justice Hill or Melvin Gordon.

If the Rams can get anything for Akers, I'm thinking it's a 6th or 7th round pick. Maybe in 2025.

Would love to be wrong.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Is Akers really any better than Gus Edwards
Exactly

On a side note, *if* the Rams decision to keep him inactive was somehow going to be a motivating factor, I would say they need to re-think things.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Yeah ... but Simpson and Robinson were the Ravens' 3rd and 4th round picks this past Draft.

If the Rams can get anything for Akers, I'm thinking it's a 6th or 7th round pick. Maybe in 2025.

Would love to be wrong.
Rappaport reports (ooophf!) that Rams have had trade talks which blows my mind (that anyone would give something for him) but I expect a 6th/7th rnd conditional pick in 24/25 is about right.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Rappaport reports (ooophf!) that Rams have had trade talks which blows my mind (that anyone would give something for him) but I expect a 6th/7th rnd conditional pick in 24/25 is about right.
Yeah but it could also be the Rams initiating the talks; and the other teams saying ... 'Hell No!'

Giles

Pro Bowler
Name
Giles
If we get anything for him its a miracle. I bet they end up releasing him.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Cam not being accountable is reason enough to bench him. Rams want a team that takes correction from the staff and works hard to improve. This is why Ramsey was moved and why our secondary already looks better.

My concern with Akers is that he may be barking back at the staff about defenses knowing he is in there to get his touches on the ground. Which in turn lead to keying on the run and guys in the backfield.

So it is possible he is right if that is what is going on. But bottom line is good order and discipline have to be prioritized. Which means he handled the situation wrong.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

Would love to be wrong.
I think that you are correct.
Cam not being accountable is reason enough to bench him. Rams want a team that takes correction from the staff and works hard to improve. This is why Ramsey was moved and why our secondary already looks better.

My concern with Akers is that he may be barking back at the staff about defenses knowing he is in there to get his touches on the ground. Which in turn lead to keying on the run and guys in the backfield.

So it is possible he is right if that is what is going on. But bottom line is good order and discipline have to be prioritized. Which means he handled the situation wrong.
The accountability issues brought on the downfall of the Seahawks. Once Russell was no longer accountable, it affected the entire team. It’s a huge factor.
It sounds like they’ve got legitimate options.

I’d add the Vikings to that list.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Okay... same question?
My take is that Cam is probably being sincere when he says he is "confused." I think the word "confusion" often comes up when there are communication problems.

Rams say, "be accountable, accept your role, give 100%, have a team attitude." In Cam's mind, maybe he thinks he's doing all those things.

WestCoastRam

Legend
My take is that Cam is probably being sincere when he says he is "confused." I think the word "confusion" often comes up when there are communication problems.

Rams say, "be accountable, accept your role, give 100%, have a team attitude." In Cam's mind, maybe he thinks he's doing all those things.
That makes sense.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
I think it’s pretty obvious. Akers was still receiving praise from McVay even after the Seattle game. So it must have something to do with the way Akers practiced this last week, and McVay has said if you don’t practice hard you won’t play. So my guess is Akers was unwilling to practice hard after Williams out played Akers in the Seattle game.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
Ronald Jones just released by Cowboys. Anyone want to kick the tires on a former Trojan?

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom

Benched Rams RB Cam Akers subject of trade talks​

Published: Sep 18, 2023 at 11:47 AM
Headshot_Author_Nick-shook_1400x1000

Nick Shook
Around The NFL Writer

49ers vs. Rams highlights | Week 2

Cam Akers' tumultuous time in Los Angeles appears headed for a finale.
The Rams have had trade talks centered around Akers, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported on Monday, less than 24 hours after Akers spent Los Angeles' Week 2 loss to the 49ers as a healthy scratch.
Akers was inactive for the game following what Rapoport characterized as a difficult week of practice, leaving him in an uncertain standing with the Rams. Kyren Williams replaced him as the starting running back and will serve in such a role going forward.
"Coach's decision, felt like that was best for our football team," Rams head coach Sean McVay said after Sunday's game. "Felt like Kyren gave us the best opportunity and what Ronnie (Rivers) and Royce (Freeman) had done, so that was the decision that I made."
The development is a disappointing one for those who hoped Akers' strong finish to the 2022 season -- in which he broke 100 rushing yards in each of his final three outings -- would propel him to a fast start in 2023. Instead of seeing Akers sprint out of the gate in the first two weeks, Rams fans watched him average just 1.9 yards per carry in Los Angeles' Week 1 winover the Seattle Seahawks before sitting out in Week 2.

RELATED LINKS​

Admittedly, Williams had a better outing in the season-opening win and appeared to become McVay's preferred back after scoring two touchdowns in Los Angeles' surprising season-opening triumph. Preference shouldn't matter, not in a league in which committee backfields are all the rage, but it apparently had enough of an impact to lead McVay to make Akers inactive on Sunday.

Without Akers, Williams had a similarly productive, but not overwhelmingly positive day Sunday, gaining 52 yards and scoring one rushing touchdown on 14 attempts. He was the only running back to record a rushing attempt in the Week 2 defeat.
"It's different. It's more about I'm always going to make decisions that are in the best interest of our football team," McVay said. "I have tremendous respect for Cam Akers, but I felt like for our football team today and in this game and as we moved forward, that was going to be the best decision for us."
It doesn't take a doctorate in psychology to read between the lines here: Akers is likely unhappy with his role in the Rams' offense, and McVay isn't interested in acquiescing.
Akers grew similarly displeased in 2022, stepping away from the team for several weeks with the expectation he'd be dealt by the trade deadline. When that didn't happen, he and the Rams found a way to work together again, leading to some of the best games of his career.
This time around, it sounds as if McVay doesn't have much patience for Akers' displeasure.
"I think there is going to be an opportunity to see what that looks like moving forward, but it's not going to be a back-and-forth thing," McVay said. "He and I have had great dialogue, and we'll see what happens over the next couple days."
Through two weeks, the 2023 Rams are proving to be a fascinating bunch. They were not expected to contend for the first time since the middle of last decade. McVay is operating in a new space, no longer weighed down by the pressure of needing to produce instant success, and the results have suggested McVay is going to operate without concern for star power.
Take the receiving corps, which is currently headlined by Puka Nacua and Tutu Atwell with Cooper Kupp on injured reserve. The former has a team-high 25 catches for 266 yards through two games, while the latter is finally starting to deliver on the second-round pick Los Angeles spent on him in 2021.

McVay doesn't need to keep his headlining stars happy. He's free to try to win with whoever he deems his best option. As of now, that option is Williams. We'll see if Akers ends up finding a better opportunity elsewhere via trade, or works with the Rams to again settle their differences for a second straight year.
Based on his "next couple days" line, it sounds like the window to find common ground won't last nearly as long this time around.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I think it’s pretty obvious. Akers was still receiving praise from McVay even after the Seattle game. So it must have something to do with the way Akers practiced this last week, and McVay has said if you don’t practice hard you won’t play. So my guess is Akers was unwilling to practice hard after Williams out played Akers in the Seattle game.
Don't forget film review. Being accountable includes taking your talking to when the film shows you fucking up. We of course will never know, but I suspect Akers had a lot to say about tendency in terms of down/distance when he's in there. Because in his shoes I'd be thinking it.

RamWoodie

Legend
It's easy to see. Williams and Rivers are better! They both EXPLODE to the hole better and faster than Cam. Both are small but durable and strong.

Adios Akers! Take your crummy attitude out of the door. Just a poor, whiney attitude!

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sadly the replaceable stud running back is not on this team. Both Williams and Rivers are serviceable but not the solution.

I'm personally over what ever it is that fails to ignite some passion in Akers. He's not even close to Gurley when his knees were going out.