Byron Murphy

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Verse..... Quinyon Mitchell....or Byron Murphy... I'd be fine with any of those 3
Be fine with any player we pick at 19 that's a much better way to go forward :)

And a $4 million dollar contract is going to prevent taking somebody much much better at WR? I don't see it. That's like saying we signed Williams, White and Curl so we're good at DB we don't need more. The Rams have 3 WR's and 2 have only had 1 good season (yes Puka's was his rookie year) and the 3rd can't stay healthy anymore. It sure looks like we could use more of those guys that can catch the ball in a league that likes to pass the ball and a coach that likes to throw it. We also signed Murchison at DT so we just need depth there right no day 1 or day 2 DT's :D

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Oh and that is what makes the draft enjoyable is hearing everyone's thoughts
on what they want to see happen. I enjoy hearing the different Ideas.
so you won't hear me dogging anybody. but there is no harm in a good debate. :beer2:
100% agree! And I'm not thinking we should go WR, just thinking our evil genius HC will want to go that route. I'm now on the Verse train

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
Man I would love to trade back with a team like Buffulo! The value chart = our 1st and the compensatory 3rd for their 1st (28th) and 2nd (60th) + a late pick (possibly a 5th round)

That would give us the fire power to trade back up as high as pick 29 without giving up more than our 2 seconds

This is the year to trade down IMO because there will be some solid players available in those spots that would help shore up positions of need
Im not being sarcastic, just curious…
Who do you think the bills would be targeting at #19 for them to want to make that trade?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Who do you think the bills would be targeting at #19 for them to want to make that trade?
A WR like could end up our target. They badly need another one for Allen.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Locking in Robinson as early as we did ...to me...shows a level of commitment to him as the #3 WR that to me would make a WR at #19 not likely.....and I've seen folks say that McVay would consider a WR at #19, and I just disagree a bit..... the quickness that we brought back Robinson just told me we weren't prioritizing WR in the draft that early.....and even if we hadn't brought back Robinson, to me...#19 going WR would actually be out of character for Snead/McVay because of the success we've had getting WRs later in the draft. Just think we had more pressing needs.

I only recently slightly adjusted my opinion on a WR at #19 based on the kick return rules changes. I mean other than the fact that were were terrible in the return game last year, the new rules make a returner even more valuable to us.... A position we could certainly address later in the draft, but there would be a possibility to address it at #19 with the right player... I've heard nothing about the Rams being specifically interested in Worthy....of course behind the comments at the combine after his record breaking 40 where Snead was quoted that Worthy was the "Fastest human he's ever evaluated".....and I believe I read somewhere that Snead has been aware of Worthy for some years because of some sort of connection to where Worthy attended High School. I also saw that Worthy was moving up the draft board projections where he's now seen to possibly go between picks 20 and 30.

Ligget is also an explosive return guy, but again, you can likely get after the 1st round. We'll see how this all plays out.

I'd love to have Jared Verse.... I mean having him line up opposite Young would be something... I'm just not getting my hopes up that he'll be there at #19....

Verse..... Quinyon Mitchell....or Byron Murphy... I'd be fine with any of those 3
Snead and McVay got their best receivers later. However they took Atwell and Jefferson in round two. They also used a first round pick to get Brandon Cooks. We’ve also heard Les talk about how he has to try to rein McVay in in draft season. He loves his offensive weapons. So, I think it’s safe to say that drafting a receiver in round one is always on the table.

However, that doesn’t mean I want them to pick a WR. But, I won’t complain, because they would be thinking he’s Kupp’s Future replacement. Kupp’s age and health have to be a concern.

A five million dollar contract for DeMarcus Robinson shouldn’t shut the door on drafting a receiver, if they really like one in this draft. There are so many yo choose from that it seems inevitable to me.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I love Murphy at 19. a lot of projections have him around 19th.
It's not that I think we need to jump the gun to fill the DT.
I just think there is a definite drop-off at DT after him.

This kid has leverage @ 6' , hands , power and pretty good speed off the ball and in pursuit
As of now he is my wish pick in the 1st rd. (But so was Dilfer back in the day) :laugh4:

That being said, I have no doubt Snead will take care of business, whatever that may look like.

Do you have a prospect you like better at 19?
Just curious. Would like to check out who you and others may be favoring.
Ah the 1994 draft. The Rams took Wayne Gandy in round one. He was a decent pick. The gem of that draft was Bruce though, in round 2.

There is nothing wrong with liking Dilfer. I wanted him to drop to the Rams too. He was the consensus second QB in that draft, behind Heath Shuler. When your team needs to upgrade their QB position, they need to be thinking QB. Especially with the Niners having guys like Montana and Steve Young. I wanted Dilfer too.

That was a productive draft for the Rams. The Rams picked two of my favorite players back then. Toby Wright was one of three second round picks and Keith Lyle was picked in round three I believe. Man Wright could hit like a Mack truck.

Marshall Faulk was picked that year too.

Last edited:

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Snead and McVay got their best receivers later. However they took Atwell and Jefferson in round two. They also used a first round pick to get Brandon Cooks. We’ve also heard Les talk about how he has to try to rein McVay in in draft season. He loves his offensive weapons. So, I think it’s safe to say that drafting a receiver in round one is always on the table.

However, that doesn’t mean I want them to pick a WR. But, I won’t complain, because they would be thinking he’s Kupp’s Future replacement. Kupp’s age and health have to be a concern.

A five million dollar contract for DeMarcus Robinson shouldn’t shut the door on drafting a receiver, if they really like one in this draft. There are so many yo choose from that it seems inevitable to me.
I could see them looking more for a WR with return ability, a guy like Pearsall. He can contribute there immediately, while being insurance at WR and also being used in the jet sweep/ WR screen role, to add speed to the offense.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Looking at the stats we run our WR's half as much now as we did early in McVay's tenure.

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
Thanks. I appreciate your point

I didn’t say the Bills, specifically. I said someone like. It all depends who is available and who it is they (or another team further back than us) wants but with so many QBs going early there will be players other teams covert (who they see as top 10-12 talent that are worth trading up for.

In short it’s a great year to trade back for multiple potential starters. It’s deep at positions that we need to improve

If you see my mock, which I only offer as an illustration, there is massive value in trading into the 40s to 80s. I don’t see any one player up top who would make the same impact on our team - which already has all pro type talent - as restocking our defense with multiple potential starters

That said, we will need to accept that all the best OTs will be gone by the end of the first. Up top it’s great but then it drops considerably at that position.

Not so, when it comes to DTs CBs LBs Edge and Safeties. There are some great value RBs TE/HBs and WRs, as well as, a multitude of IOL that other teams will be picking ahead of positions we should be prioritising. There are some great prospects some of who would be in contention for the first round in lesser years

Last edited:

Memphis Ram

Legend
Every year, I believe it's safe to say that outside of having a top 3-5 selection, there probably isn't a team or their fanbase in the entire league that doesn't want to trade back and acquire more picks.

dang

Legend
Locking in Robinson as early as we did ...to me...shows a level of commitment to him as the #3 WR that to me would make a WR at #19 not likely.....and I've seen folks say that McVay would consider a WR at #19, and I just disagree a bit..... the quickness that we brought back Robinson just told me we weren't prioritizing WR in the draft that early.....and even if we hadn't brought back Robinson, to me...#19 going WR would actually be out of character for Snead/McVay because of the success we've had getting WRs later in the draft. Just think we had more pressing needs.

I only recently slightly adjusted my opinion on a WR at #19 based on the kick return rules changes. I mean other than the fact that were were terrible in the return game last year, the new rules make a returner even more valuable to us.... A position we could certainly address later in the draft, but there would be a possibility to address it at #19 with the right player... I've heard nothing about the Rams being specifically interested in Worthy....of course behind the comments at the combine after his record breaking 40 where Snead was quoted that Worthy was the "Fastest human he's ever evaluated".....and I believe I read somewhere that Snead has been aware of Worthy for some years because of some sort of connection to where Worthy attended High School. I also saw that Worthy was moving up the draft board projections where he's now seen to possibly go between picks 20 and 30.

Ligget is also an explosive return guy, but again, you can likely get after the 1st round. We'll see how this all plays out.

I'd love to have Jared Verse.... I mean having him line up opposite Young would be something... I'm just not getting my hopes up that he'll be there at #19....

Agree. Got to go defense in round 1 even if they trade down a little. I like WR options at R2.52 but it’s up to McSnead so they could have their eye on options for a WR in R3. I’d be surprised if none were taken in the first three rounds though.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Every year, I believe it's safe to say that outside of having a top 3-5 selection, there probably isn't a team or their fanbase in the entire league that doesn't want to trade back and acquire more picks.
Also aside from maybe those same players though likely even less than the 3-5 we fans have no idea how the draft will turn out. Always amazingly fun this time of year to hear us fans say stuff like "no way that guys there are pick 19 or in the 2nd 4th or 5th round" whatever the case may be :)

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I could see them looking more for a WR with return ability, a guy like Pearsall. He can contribute there immediately, while being insurance at WR and also being used in the jet sweep/ WR screen role, to add speed to the offense.
It’s hard to tell. McVay seems to have a type/build he likes. But, I think a tall receiver would benefit Stafford.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
Being that we brought back Robinson....and currently Atwell and Skowronek are on the roster, I don't see us drafting a WR in the first round.. I mean even if we let Tutu and Skow go, the new guy would be our #4 WR...

the only exception to that I would say would be IF..... IF there were a WR who is a return man.....#19 would be really high for that type of guy..

unless...

We're high on Xavier Worthy....who with these new kick return rules...would have some value as a return guy..possibly....maybe in the 1st round....#19 would be high for that...maybe.....

I mean do you pass on Verse...or Murphy...or Latu....or Quinyon Mitchell ...to draft a kick returner/4th WR... I probably wouldn't.....but it's an interesting question... I see some sites saying Worthy is now between the 20th and 30th pick projected...
Worthy as a returner in the NFL is likely not going to happen. Remember the Atwell returner experiment? If you blinked, you missed it, but, he did end up in a crumpled heap and the IR.

WestCoastRam

Legend
FWIW on Worthy, Nate Tice said that he saw what he thought was Worthy actively avoiding his blocking assignments numerous times.

Doesn't sound like a McVay guy.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
FWIW on Worthy, Nate Tice said that he saw what he thought was Worthy actively avoiding his blocking assignments numerous times.

Doesn't sound like a McVay guy.
Not to mention, we already drafted a guy of that archetype. He hasn't worked out so far. Massive pass for me.