Byron Murphy

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
As much as I like Worthy and Adonai Mitchell...I gotta say that Jordan Whittington has really caught my eye for Texas out of their skill position players. He's not a fast receiver, but he has size, is physical, catches almost everything thrown to him, breaks tons of tackles, is a solid, solid route runner, and blocks tenaciously.

He honestly reminds me of a mix of Amon-Ra St. Brown and Puka Nacua stylistically.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Atwell and Skow are 100% expendable. Robinson IMO changes nothing and we can't rely unfortunately on Kupp staying healthy.
All true. And Kupp's outlook, i.e. what the Rams are hearing from the medical side, is an unknown at this point so for all we know right now WR may be right up there among their highest needs.

I do think however that the PFF guys are right about WR being interchangeable from WR4 through WR15 or so. There's a very large glut of them which means our round 2 pick is likely earmarked to address that position. That of course would require the draft to fall within certain ranges though, and in the end when you pick at 19 you are at the mercy of the mob in terms of which players fall.

So just take the player who falls. And if not then move down, allowing someone else to move up to take that player who falls, and then take whatever position you have targeted there. Nice thing for us this year is all the positions of strength line up with our needs (Edge, DT, OT, WR) and I don't think that's a coincidence.

MachS

Hall of Fame
All true. And Kupp's outlook, i.e. what the Rams are hearing from the medical side, is an unknown at this point so for all we know right now WR may be right up there among their highest needs.

I do think however that the PFF guys are right about WR being interchangeable from WR4 through WR15 or so. There's a very large glut of them which means our round 2 pick is likely earmarked to address that position. That of course would require the draft to fall within certain ranges though, and in the end when you pick at 19 you are at the mercy of the mob in terms of which players fall.

So just take the player who falls. And if not then move down, allowing someone else to move up to take that player who falls, and then take whatever position you have targeted there. Nice thing for us this year is all the positions of strength line up with our needs (Edge, DT, OT, WR) and I don't think that's a coincidence.
Been wondering if the better overall value is towards the back of the 1st and if McVay wants to target WR maybe we trade back to 25-28 and add a 2nd/3rd. That would still guarantee us either Mitchell, Coleman, Legette, McConkey, Worthy.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Been wondering if the better overall value is towards the back of the 1st and if McVay wants to target WR maybe we trade back to 25-28 and add a 2nd/3rd. That would still guarantee us either Mitchell, Coleman, Legette, McConkey, Worthy.
Yeah I think with Les and Sean a trade down is always on the table. Probably comes down to which guy from higher on their board falls, if any. Chances are their board is different than what we are thinking. But sometimes it lines up and we get someone we sort of expect.

WestCoastRam

Legend
That seems kinda far for them to trade back, feels like if they do, it would only be for a couple spots cause there are a few guys they have the same grade on in defense. I don't see them trading back that far and missing out on a slew of guys. (Still need a partner though).

Don't look at it as trading back to trade back for picks, look at it as trading back to trade back cause you can still get your guy AND picks.

After the 1st round, I think the math works a bit different and the variability of the grades you have on guys really smooths out so trading back farther isn't as detrimental to missing out on guys.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I think 4 is too high but that's just me. You have the top 3 then the next 4 or 5 then a 3rd tier. I think too many group the more WR's than they should in the 2nd tier.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
It’s hard to tell. McVay seems to have a type/build he likes. But, I think a tall receiver would benefit Stafford.
Agree, but they have those guys, at least for this year. I think he always has put a priority on speed as well. Cooks & TuTu are examples. And with the new KR rules, I think he will want a legit return guy. That doesn't mean they don't go out and get a 6'2 WR as well or one in next yrs draft.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Agree, but they have those guys, at least for this year. I think he always has put a priority on speed as well. Cooks & TuTu are examples. And with the new KR rules, I think he will want a legit return guy. That doesn't mean they don't go out and get a 6'2 WR as well or one in next yrs draft.
I think the kick returners may be shifty runningbacks that can see holes and make defenders miss with the defense starting so close to where they receive the ball.

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
Ah the 1994 draft. The Rams took Wayne Gandy in round one. He was a decent pick. The gem of that draft was Bruce though, in round 2.

There is nothing wrong with liking Dilfer. I wanted him to drop to the Rams too. He was the consensus second QB in that draft, behind Heath Shuler. When your team needs to upgrade their QB position, they need to be thinking QB. Especially with the Niners having guys like Montana and Steve Young. I wanted Dilfer too.

That was a productive draft for the Rams. The Rams picked two of my favorite players back then. Toby Wright was one of three second round picks and Keith Lyle was picked in round three I believe. Man Wright could hit like a Mack truck.

Marshall Faulk was picked that year too.
Wow talk about a crazy draft..lol Brings back memories. Thanks for sharing.
The Rev Ike is undoubtedly one of my all time favorite Ram players. Bruuuuuuuuuce. :beer2:

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29
Worthy as a returner in the NFL is likely not going to happen. Remember the Atwell returner experiment? If you blinked, you missed it, but, he did end up in a crumpled heap and the IR.
Worthy has like 40 pounds on Tutu.... I'm seeing Worthy rated as the top return man in the draft, so I'm assuming there is sentiment out there to put him there. But we'll see... I honestly feel like the rule change for returns increased his value and some others.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Pertaining to special teams, our biggest problem is coverage. We aren't great at return yardage but we're terrible in coverage. Can Worthy tackle? :biggrin:

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29
A five million dollar contract for DeMarcus Robinson shouldn’t shut the door on drafting a receiver, if they really like one in this draft. There are so many yo choose from that it seems inevitable to me.

I totally agree.... my point is that it speaks to the likelihood of drafting a WR at #19. Now I'm seeing we've re-signed Tyler Johnson....who yes, spent most the season on the practice squad, but did come up big time in Frisco for the last game of the season. I wouldn't be surprised (or terribly disapointed) if we moved on from Tutu....but even if we did, we have some depth at WR... depth we've affirmed by re-signing a couple of guys before the draft, that leans me to say drafting a WR at #19 isn't likely. But I absolutely believe we will draft a WR at some point in this draft....and my thought would be a WR who is a return man since we had the worst return game in the NFL last year, and the rule change makes it a weapon again.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I hear you bro. Verse could be THAT guy.
I'd been on a CB train all off season even over edge until signing Williams and White. I still think there's a chance our coach goes WR and I've supported that thought. But I've been CB all off season in the 1st until free agency now it's Edge Verse or Turner and Latu 3rd because of his injury past.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I think the kick returners may be shifty runningbacks that can see holes and make defenders miss with the defense starting so close to where they receive the ball.
Could be...not sure we have that either. Also, we don't have a legit punt returner.

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29
Be fine with any player we pick at 19 that's a much better way to go forward :)

And a $4 million dollar contract is going to prevent taking somebody much much better at WR? I don't see it. That's like saying we signed Williams, White and Curl so we're good at DB we don't need more. The Rams have 3 WR's and 2 have only had 1 good season (yes Puka's was his rookie year) and the 3rd can't stay healthy anymore. It sure looks like we could use more of those guys that can catch the ball in a league that likes to pass the ball and a coach that likes to throw it. We also signed Murchison at DT so we just need depth there right no day 1 or day 2 DT's :D

I'm pretty certain we'll draft a WR in this draft.....my point is that it's not likely at #19. So today to go along with bringing Robinson back, we've resigned Tyler Johnson...who although spent most of the season on the practice squad, showed his worth in Frisco the last game of the season....again....I believe we'll draft a WR in the draft, I just don't believe re-signing 2 of our WRs before the draft makes me confident we'll draft at WR at #19.

at #19, you're not bringing in a guy to be your 4th WR.... not when we have a couple spots where the #19 draft pick can come in and start on day one...... CB..... Edge....D-line....IlB... Add to that the fact that we had the worst return game in the NFL last year...the rule change makes it a weapon again....and the 2 WRs we've re-signed before the draft..neither one are return men. I'm just saying....a WR who is a returner is the likely draft target, and that will probably happen after the 1st round.

and bringing back Murchison doesn't change the fact that we've lost 2 starters on our D-line, AD and Jonah williams. Murch was already depth on the team, so we're still 2 spots down on the D-line, so of course drafting one early is very much on the table..

We're 2 spots down on the D-line, while literally today we have our entire WR group under contract except for Austin Trammell...who was our 4th WR and return guy....

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm pretty certain we'll draft a WR in this draft.....my point is that it's not likely at #19.
And my point is you, me and everybody else has no idea what is likely to be picked at #19. I've pointed out countless times I think it was a CB until free agency then it's switched to edge. But something about our Head Coach makes me think based on his comments in the recent past he's going to maximize the last couple of years we have Stafford. None of us know what will be the pick but there are a lot of people that are almost arrogantly dismissing the idea of a WR (not saying you here). We don't know what they'll pick. Yes that's what we're discussing here what we want them to pick.

But to dismiss something IMO isn't keeping an open mind to what our HC could do. And to say it won't be a WR because we spent $4 on a #3 WR seems short sighted. After Kupp, Nacua and Robinson we have Atwell who is expendable and clears $1.4 million in cap space (which btw pays the majority of the #19's first round pick) and Skowronek who also clears $1 million in cap space.

I see no reason with the depth chart at WR would rule out a WR at 19. A WR picked at 19 will not be our #4 WR. He may start the season that way though I doubt it but he won't be our #4 WR. Robinson would assuming the 2 at the top of the depth chart are healthy.

Again because some can't seem to remember what I've said. I think it's an edge at 19. One of my draft crushes is Anias Smith WR Texas A&M. He's a good X WR that IMO we desperately need. And he's a phenomenal returner. That said I can still see a WR at 19 or even if they trade down a bit in the 1st.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
100% agree! And I'm not thinking we should go WR, just thinking our evil genius HC will want to go that route. I'm now on the Verse train
So am I but I fear it's going to take a trade up to get him. That brings me back to rather trading back for extra Top 100 picks. The draft seems to have that Tier 2 talent that's not that far behind the 1st rounders. At 19, it's mostly at the end of those Tier 1 players in my eyes but you could trade down into the early 20s and watch who drops to you. So are you better going after a hand me down Tier 1 and two Tier 2s?

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I'm pretty certain we'll draft a WR in this draft.....my point is that it's not likely at #19. So today to go along with bringing Robinson back, we've resigned Tyler Johnson...who although spent most of the season on the practice squad, showed his worth in Frisco the last game of the season....again....I believe we'll draft a WR in the draft, I just don't believe re-signing 2 of our WRs before the draft makes me confident we'll draft at WR at #19.

at #19, you're not bringing in a guy to be your 4th WR.... not when we have a couple spots where the #19 draft pick can come in and start on day one...... CB..... Edge....D-line....IlB... Add to that the fact that we had the worst return game in the NFL last year...the rule change makes it a weapon again....and the 2 WRs we've re-signed before the draft..neither one are return men. I'm just saying....a WR who is a returner is the likely draft target, and that will probably happen after the 1st round.

and bringing back Murchison doesn't change the fact that we've lost 2 starters on our D-line, AD and Jonah williams. Murch was already depth on the team, so we're still 2 spots down on the D-line, so of course drafting one early is very much on the table..

We're 2 spots down on the D-line, while literally today we have our entire WR group under contract except for Austin Trammell...who was our 4th WR and return guy....
I like Trammel but I think these new KO rules might be showing him the door. I expect a WR in the Top 100 picks for the Rams, maybe two, if they trade back a couple of times.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
IF they are crazy enough to think they need to draft a WR in the 1st, I think trading back is the only feasible option. I think Thomas will be gone by 19, that leaves Mitchell and McConkey are the only real legitimate 1st round WR talent in my eyes. They should not be picked at 19 and are likely there a fair amount later. Only way I'd be ok-ish with it.
That seems kinda far for them to trade back, feels like if they do, it would only be for a couple spots cause there are a few guys they have the same grade on in defense. I don't see them trading back that far and missing out on a slew of guys. (Still need a partner though).

Don't look at it as trading back to trade back for picks, look at it as trading back to trade back cause you can still get your guy AND picks.

After the 1st round, I think the math works a bit different and the variability of the grades you have on guys really smooths out so trading back farther isn't as detrimental to missing out on guys.
Yes, I can't see any of our top defensive options falling much further then very early 20's, if that. As with above, if they are going WR, I'd trade back into high 20's personally. One of those guys is bound to be there.