Byron Murphy

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dang

Legend
The more mocks that I see, I can see a team like Dallas really wanting to move up to get a LT to replace Smith. And I see mocks with Newton and even Murphy or Latu sliding into the 20's. Those guys, along with both Robinson's, Dejean or even Mitchell (Texas WR) could be there at 24.

So I really expect a trade down so they have an extra pick to bolster the defensive front 7, while still being able to address WR and OT or the secondary. Five top 100 picks would be a huge boost, and it also provides more opportunities to execute another trade down to fill that gap between 99 and 154.

Makes too much sense to move down. Had Donald not retired, maybe they stay put or trade up, but Donald really leaves multiple holes. They now need multiple DL to fill his shoes and the need to find ways to rush the passer is even more important now.
Rams need a trade partner but a trade down to R1 mid to late 20s allows them to get a top WR, a solid RB2 or OT and 3 nice defensive players in the top 100 picks.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I love Murphy at 19. a lot of projections have him around 19th.
It's not that I think we need to jump the gun to fill the DT.
I just think there is a definite drop-off at DT after him.

This kid has leverage @ 6' , hands , power and pretty good speed off the ball and in pursuit
As of now he is my wish pick in the 1st rd. (But so was Dilfer back in the day) :laugh4:

That being said, I have no doubt Snead will take care of business, whatever that may look like.

Do you have a prospect you like better at 19?
Just curious. Would like to check out who you and others may be favoring.
I think Verse will be there for us. That's if McVay doesn't go WR in the first like I think is very likely. But Verse is the guy I'm thinking we should get.

Memphis Ram

Legend
The more mocks that I see, I can see a team like Dallas really wanting to move up to get a LT to replace Smith. And I see mocks with Newton and even Murphy or Latu sliding into the 20's. Those guys, along with both Robinson's, Dejean or even Mitchell (Texas WR) could be there at 24.

So I really expect a trade down so they have an extra pick to bolster the defensive front 7, while still being able to address WR and OT or the secondary. Five top 100 picks would be a huge boost, and it also provides more opportunities to execute another trade down to fill that gap between 99 and 154.

Makes too much sense to move down. Had Donald not retired, maybe they stay put or trade up, but Donald really leaves multiple holes. They now need multiple DL to fill his shoes and the need to find ways to rush the passer is even more important now.
A team like Dallas, but I doubt it would actually be Dallas.

They've lost too many players this offseason, need bodies, and already don't have a 4th round selection.

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
I think Verse will be there for us. That's if McVay doesn't go WR in the first like I think is very likely. But Verse is the guy I'm thinking we should get.
I hope you're wrong about the WR pick. Too many other pressing needs.
Pass rush and DT SHOULD BE priority even if we have to trade back to make BPA
work.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Latu has an injury history, which has been cleared, and he’s played two full seasons without issue from it since being cleared.

Not sure that’s a still considered a flaw.
I would bet that without that injury history, he would be a slam dunk to be a top 15 pick.

The knock I had heard was that he is older than the typical prospect. I didn't check on his exact age.

Another thing that I know fans here in Phily don't like about him, and this is kind of comical. He said recently in an interview that if football doesn't wirk out, that he wants to be a firefighter. Apparently he has some intereset or involvement in that now. See, the Eagles once drafted an OG named Danny Watkins in the first rd. He was a fire fighter in the offseason and he was a complete bust. He retired early and went on to fight fires.

So yeah, that's kind of silly, but I will admit I don't like a soon to be first rd pick already talking about life after football or what he will do if football doesnt work out. That should be the last thing on his mind at this time.

Yes, probably dumb, but it was an odd thing to say.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
I would bet that without that injury history, he would be a slam dunk to be a top 15 pick.

The knock I had heard was that he is older than the typical prospect. I didn't check on his exact age.

Another thing that I know fans here in Phily don't like about him, and this is kind of comical. He said recently in an interview that if football doesn't wirk out, that he wants to be a firefighter. Apparently he has some intereset or involvement in that now. See, the Eagles once drafted an OG named Danny Watkins in the first rd. He was a fire fighter in the offseason and he was a complete bust. He retired early and went on to fight fires.

So yeah, that's kind of silly, but I will admit I don't like a soon to be first rd pick already talking about life after football or what he will do if football doesnt work out. That should be the last thing on his mind at this time.

I get that, but at the same time he thought for two years he’d never play football again. So, if college aged student has his football future seemingly ripped away from him, I’d be more concerned if he didn’t think about life without football.

At least he picked a fun job with great benefits and an even better schedule!

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I hope you're wrong about the WR pick. Too many other pressing needs.
Pass rush and DT SHOULD BE priority even if we have to trade back to make BPA
work.
Every position can be addressed after the first round. It's an offensive game now with an offensive head coach who has an exceptional QB that only has a coue of years left. McVay wanting to maximize Stafford shouldn't surprise anybody.

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
Every position can be addressed after the first round. It's an offensive game now with an offensive head coach who has an exceptional QB that only has a coue of years left. McVay wanting to maximize Stafford shouldn't surprise anybody.
Not saying they wouldn't go WR, I would however be surprised.
If one of the stud WR's drop, McVay will be drooling:zany1:

I am seeing a change in offensive mentality.
Mcvay is turning the offense into a power game leaning on the run
more than he ever has in the past, and I love it .
I think it will help extend Stafford's career.

Power running, misdirection and play action. The deadly trio. Clock eating smash mouth football.

I will be content in whoever they draft because our guys know what their doing.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
I love Murphy at 19. a lot of projections have him around 19th.
It's not that I think we need to jump the gun to fill the DT.
I just think there is a definite drop-off at DT after him.

This kid has leverage @ 6' , hands , power and pretty good speed off the ball and in pursuit
As of now he is my wish pick in the 1st rd. (But so was Dilfer back in the day) :laugh4:

That being said, I have no doubt Snead will take care of business, whatever that may look like.

Do you have a prospect you like better at 19?
Just curious. Would like to check out who you and others may be favoring.
Better? Several. Better within reason? Latu, Mitchell, maybe Arnold. Murphy is damn close to them and I also like Newton a fair amount.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter

So, he replied truthfully to a question being asked? Was he supposed to pass on the question? His drive to be a football player has already beem proven by the game almost being taken away from him with the neck injury. Obviously, they have never heard other interviews of him explaining how much passion he has for the game.

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29
Being that we brought back Robinson....and currently Atwell and Skowronek are on the roster, I don't see us drafting a WR in the first round.. I mean even if we let Tutu and Skow go, the new guy would be our #4 WR...

the only exception to that I would say would be IF..... IF there were a WR who is a return man.....#19 would be really high for that type of guy..

unless...

We're high on Xavier Worthy....who with these new kick return rules...would have some value as a return guy..possibly....maybe in the 1st round....#19 would be high for that...maybe.....

I mean do you pass on Verse...or Murphy...or Latu....or Quinyon Mitchell ...to draft a kick returner/4th WR... I probably wouldn't.....but it's an interesting question... I see some sites saying Worthy is now between the 20th and 30th pick projected...

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Being that we brought back Robinson....and currently Atwell and Skowronek are on the roster, I don't see us drafting a WR in the first round.. I mean even if we let Tutu and Skow go, the new guy would be our #4 WR...

the only exception to that I would say would be IF..... IF there were a WR who is a return man.....#19 would be really high for that type of guy..

unless...

We're high on Xavier Worthy....who with these new kick return rules...would have some value as a return guy..possibly....maybe in the 1st round....#19 would be high for that...maybe.....

I mean do you pass on Verse...or Murphy...or Latu....or Quinyon Mitchell ...to draft a kick returner/4th WR... I probably wouldn't.....but it's an interesting question... I see some sites saying Worthy is now between the 20th and 30th pick projected...
The only push-back I have is the ability of Kupp and Nacua to play a full 17-game schedule.

Those two guys are so tough after-the-catch, and take such brutal hits, I don't see them being able to play a full season. Talent at the WR position is so vital to the Rams' offense, I could see a wide receiver taken in the 1st or 2nd round.

Personally, if he was still available, I would love Roman Wilson in the second.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

unless...

Atwell and Skow are 100% expendable. Robinson IMO changes nothing and we can't rely unfortunately on Kupp staying healthy. Worthy and several others can return kicks and make a lot of sense to draft. Guys like Legette, Anias Smith, Worthy though I'm not a big fan of him, and a few others are not only WR's that line up in the X position but are capable returners. I haven't heard anything that we're high on any player. Are you insinuating that we went to the Texas pro day and talked to him that means we're high on him? Quite a leap of logic there and it means we're high on a lot of people that could go by our 2nd round pick.

Also reread what you quoted. I literally said I think Verse drops to us and we should get him. I said I, and in fact a lot of others, think McVay very well could go WR in the 1st. Add to that if he doesn't in the first I think 2nd for sure it's just our coach.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not saying they wouldn't go WR, I would however be surprised.
If one of the stud WR's drop, McVay will be drooling:zany1:

I am seeing a change in offensive mentality.
Mcvay is turning the offense into a power game leaning on the run
more than he ever has in the past, and I love it .
I think it will help extend Stafford's career.

Power running, misdirection and play action. The deadly trio. Clock eating smash mouth football.

I will be content in whoever they draft because our guys know what their doing.
Just food for thought but what is generally the best way to prevent a defense from loading the box when they know you like to run a lot? A fast X wide receiver maybe? Let the defense load up the box and let a guy like Thomas Jr, Mitchell, Legette or others roast them deep. Kind of alleviates a little pressure in the box doesn't it?

It is funny though I mention the possibility, though I continually say that's not what I want. And everybody is dead set against the thought yet they say what you said "trust in McSnead". Yet people are arguing with the idea that our brain trust might have a different thought of how to draft than them.

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
Just food for thought but what is generally the best way to prevent a defense from loading the box when they know you like to run a lot?
That's where the play action comes in . And yes a speedy deep threat is Kryptonite to the loaded box.
But not absolutely necessary.
Using the short jet (speed) motion from a off the ball WR creates the advantage of
the WR being at 3/4 speed at the snap. San Fran , Miami and the Rams started deploying this and last year
a lot more teams started implementing this tactic. It's deadly.

While a speed guy can take optimal advantage of it.
Puka can destroy defenses with it ,with 20+ pops all day long.
Our WR core is solid, but nothing says we can't add some spice.

That being said I have no qualms about us drafting another WR.
And I may not always be enthused about every move Snead makes, but I know that when it
comes down to it we have one the top GM's and coaching staffs in the league.
They have earned the right to be trusted and that's exactly what i have in them-- Trust.

Oh and that is what makes the draft enjoyable is hearing everyone's thoughts
on what they want to see happen. I enjoy hearing the different Ideas.
so you won't hear me dogging anybody. but there is no harm in a good debate. :beer2:

Last edited:

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29
Atwell and Skow are 100% expendable. Robinson IMO changes nothing and we can't rely unfortunately on Kupp staying healthy. Worthy and several others can return kicks and make a lot of sense to draft. Guys like Legette, Anias Smith, Worthy though I'm not a big fan of him, and a few others are not only WR's that line up in the X position but are capable returners. I haven't heard anything that we're high on any player. Are you insinuating that we went to the Texas pro day and talked to him that means we're high on him? Quite a leap of logic there and it means we're high on a lot of people that could go by our 2nd round pick.

Also reread what you quoted. I literally said I think Verse drops to us and we should get him. I said I, and in fact a lot of others, think McVay very well could go WR in the 1st. Add to that if he doesn't in the first I think 2nd for sure it's just our coach.
Locking in Robinson as early as we did ...to me...shows a level of commitment to him as the #3 WR that to me would make a WR at #19 not likely.....and I've seen folks say that McVay would consider a WR at #19, and I just disagree a bit..... the quickness that we brought back Robinson just told me we weren't prioritizing WR in the draft that early.....and even if we hadn't brought back Robinson, to me...#19 going WR would actually be out of character for Snead/McVay because of the success we've had getting WRs later in the draft. Just think we had more pressing needs.

I only recently slightly adjusted my opinion on a WR at #19 based on the kick return rules changes. I mean other than the fact that were were terrible in the return game last year, the new rules make a returner even more valuable to us.... A position we could certainly address later in the draft, but there would be a possibility to address it at #19 with the right player... I've heard nothing about the Rams being specifically interested in Worthy....of course behind the comments at the combine after his record breaking 40 where Snead was quoted that Worthy was the "Fastest human he's ever evaluated".....and I believe I read somewhere that Snead has been aware of Worthy for some years because of some sort of connection to where Worthy attended High School. I also saw that Worthy was moving up the draft board projections where he's now seen to possibly go between picks 20 and 30.

Ligget is also an explosive return guy, but again, you can likely get after the 1st round. We'll see how this all plays out.

I'd love to have Jared Verse.... I mean having him line up opposite Young would be something... I'm just not getting my hopes up that he'll be there at #19....

Verse..... Quinyon Mitchell....or Byron Murphy... I'd be fine with any of those 3