Byron Murphy

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Psycho_X

Legend
Also, FWIW, despite entering his fourth season, Brown is one year younger than Kobie Turner, and two years younger than Byron Young.
Yeah I think this is extremely important to remember when talking about BB3. He couldn't even legally drink when we drafted him. That is extremely young for a d-lineman and for a person in general for development. Most rookies coming into the league already have an extra couple of years of weight lifting on him. I'm not counting him out yet. He was extremely raw starting out but has steadily improved each year in his contributions.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Don’t be surprised if The Rams go with a player like Kris Jenkins.Son of ex-NFL stud in Kris Jenkins.
If the Rams go edge in the first, Kris Jenkins will be their pick in round two and I will be very pleased if the Rams can add Jenkins.

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
FWIW, the Athletic guys have said it's a good year for gap shooting DTs but not for gap pluggers/two gapers. It also seems like there won't be a lot of guys to fill out the 3-4 DE spots in the draft.

Sounds like theirs good CB depth... though it shouldn't mean you pass on a top one if you like them.
Maybe, they wold know more than I do, but from Rams standpoint, Kobie Turner is going to be that guy now. So, even if there are some of the 6-2, 295-300 guys, an it seems there, pairing one with Kobie might be a good thing or not. In pass rush situations, yes, Kobie played nearer the center than DOnald and they worked stunts an games well.

But in the 3-4/5-1 do you want Kobie to play the "DE" position and a penetrator rookie at the DT? Maybe. But in 3rd round seenms like there are some guys who would fit as the DE so Kobie can play DT ...

Also, there are some big 4-3 DTs, that could be looked at as a DE ...

Fangio's scheme does not shoot gaps and it does not two-gap. All the guys have to gap-1/2 so it's a hybrid thing, a different animal. Almost a third way and these draft people needs to look at that, there are maybe 3 flavors rather than 2.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Maybe, they wold know more than I do, but from Rams standpoint, Kobie Turner is going to be that guy now. So, even if there are some of the 6-2, 295-300 guys, an it seems there, pairing one with Kobie might be a good thing or not. In pass rush situations, yes, Kobie played nearer the center than DOnald and they worked stunts an games well.

But in the 3-4/5-1 do you want Kobie to play the "DE" position and a penetrator rookie at the DT? Maybe. But in 3rd round seenms like there are some guys who would fit as the DE so Kobie can play DT ...

Also, there are some big 4-3 DTs, that could be looked at as a DE ...

Fangio's scheme does not shoot gaps and it does not two-gap. All the guys have to gap-1/2 so it's a hybrid thing, a different animal. Almost a third way and these draft people needs to look at that, there are maybe 3 flavors rather than 2.
Yeah gonna be really interesting to see which way they go and I'm certainly not as well versed in gap-1/2 tech like you so not sure how some of these guys will translate to it.

It does seem like Edge is iffy in this draft so am curious if they look to bolster the pass rush from the inside... but not sure how that will work with our scheme. It felt like we bent gap-1/2 to Donald when we played it, no?

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Yeah gonna be really interesting to see which way they go and I'm certainly not as well versed in gap-1/2 tech like you so not sure how some of these guys will translate to it.

It does seem like Edge is iffy in this draft so am curious if they look to bolster the pass rush from the inside... but not sure how that will work with our scheme. It felt like we bent gap-1/2 to Donald when we played it, no?
Think Giff Smith will figure that out as well as Shula & AC Carter.

What I’m gathering from what Shula has said & what The Rams did before upfront was a lot of players in the rotation in D’Front.

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We're not going to replace Aaron Donald, and we shouldn't try to force a pick if the right talent isn't there. Let the draft come to us.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
We're not going to replace Aaron Donald, and we shouldn't try to force a pick if the right talent isn't there. Let the draft come to us.
I agree with that. What do you think of Murphy and/or Newton?

WestCoastRam

Legend
All for not forcing a pick to replace Donald but I think that there's a solid argument that Murphy/Newton offer more in aggregate (pass rush and rush D) than any of the edge players at around 19.

Turner is a very good pass rusher but wouldn't sniff the top 15 in other drafts. Verse and Latu wouldn't compare that well to other 1st round pass rusher in previous drafts. I could see Verse and Latu being the right pick at 19 but I could also see an argument that Murphy and possibly Newton are better prospects.

AZRams

What, we're all thinking it...
PFF mocked him to the Rams today at #19.

WTH though, they had Bowers falling all the way to #18.

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
A lot of colleges run Fangio/Saban so they'd be likely able to play it ... it's just in between one-gap and two gap. They don't play two-gap technique, pushing their guy back and reading flow.

Or getting into a grap right away.

Staley called it aggressive, it's just that they penetrate the read.
react, just penetrate - (1 gap, gap control)
read first then react (2-gap)
react first (penetrate) and read (1-1/2 gap)

It felt like we bent gap-1/2 to Donald when we played it, no?
Donald could freelance. He'd earned that. You could see him go for it when he felt it or read it. Turner, too. If it is there -- go for it, I am sure that they will -- he could just react because he could do it with reliability

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Well, now that White is a Ram how does this re-align your picks if at all??

I see Brooks has us taking Murphy, may have been before the announcement.

Robinson or Latu now at 19??

Or does that bring McConkey up to 19???

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
If the Rams go edge in the first, Kris Jenkins will be their pick in round two and I will be very pleased if the Rams can add Jenkins.
There is a question on his arm length ... not sure if that matters for DT as much has edge, but it's causing some consternation, deserved or not.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I know his tape isn’t as good.. but Hall from Ohio state has some excellent traits and his playing style is similar to Murphy. I wouldn’t hate trading back a little and hoping to still land Hall.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I know his tape isn’t as good.. but Hall from Ohio state has some excellent traits and his playing style is similar to Murphy. I wouldn’t hate trading back a little and hoping to still land Hall.
I watched or was in attendance in every game Michael Hall played at Ohio State & he the quintessential tale of two cities. Sometimes he was just a non factor.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Well, now that White is a Ram how does this re-align your picks if at all??

I see Brooks has us taking Murphy, may have been before the announcement.

Robinson or Latu now at 19??

Or does that bring McConkey up to 19???
I would stick my head in the oven if they drafted McConkey at 19

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I watched or was in attendance in every game Michael Hall played at Ohio State & he the quintessential tale of two cities. Sometimes he was just a non factor.
He’s so young, I wonder if there’s a maturity level issue and if they could be buying low.

But, yeah.. what you say seems dead-on from what I’ve read.