Byron Murphy

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

WestCoastRam

Legend
FWIW, I think Bobby Brown improved last year and was a pleasant surprise. I think there's a chance he could keep improving. Still need some DT help though.

Memphis Ram

Legend
1711207823738.png

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
FWIW, I think Bobby Brown improved last year and was a pleasant surprise. I think there's a chance he could keep improving. Still need some DT help though.
Also, FWIW, despite entering his fourth season, Brown is one year younger than Kobie Turner, and two years younger than Byron Young.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Sounds like a player that might require some timeouts if the opponent goes no huddle or keeps close to the line of scrimmage.
You may be right.....however, I looked into what @Flatlyner mentioned about total snaps and I think he is right. Sweat played more snaps than many of his counterparts....... total snaps below per PFF .... He played more snaps than his teammate Byron Murphy, Kris Jenkins, Fabian Lovett (Florida St), Mekhi Wingo, Braden Fiske, Leanord Taylor, Ruke Orhorhoro, McKinley Jackson, and Michael Hall

1711219217567.png

Memphis Ram

Legend
You may be right.....however, I looked into what @Flatlyner mentioned about total snaps and I think he is right. Sweat played more snaps than many of his counterparts....... total snaps below per PFF .... He played more snaps than his teammate Byron Murphy, Kris Jenkins, Fabian Lovett (Florida St), Mekhi Wingo, Braden Fiske, Leanord Taylor, Ruke Orhorhoro, McKinley Jackson, and Michael Hall

View attachment 64928
The key would be his effectiveness as the snaps are played. I haven't seen or read all of the draft media reports. And they are not the end of things, but Sweat's noticeable difference in effectiveness the longer he plays seems to be more commonly mentioned. A high motor ala Fiske, Newton, and a couple others is never mentioned.

Consider Chase Young. He was on the field for 735 snaps this year, but............

Anyway, the kid really probably needs to get down to 320-330 and become a superstar. But I heard him say in an interview that he likes himself at 365. And one of the draft media persons said on a podcast he was closer to 380-390 at the Senior Bowl.

Last edited:

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Oh man after the first 5 minutes of this video I just had to pause and laugh. After the whole discussion of body type and the type of DT we had to draft I then see Smith bring up a player comp and how terrible it is and why it's horrible and why the comp was made.

View: https://youtu.be/BMeaLI7KfLs

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Snap counts for our DL last season:

AD - 867
Turner - 697
Williams - 598

BBrown - 313
Murchison - 252
Johnson - 102

BrownIV - 82
Durden - 44
Copeland - 11

Leaving - 1558

On roster - 1408

More than half our snaps counts gone. Definitely gonna get a DT or two in the draft. Hopefully one high and one later.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

AD - 867
Turner - 697
Williams - 598

BBrown - 313
Murchison - 252
Johnson - 102

BrownIV - 82
Durden - 44
Copeland - 11

Leaving - 1558

On roster - 1408

More than half our snaps counts gone. Definitely gonna get a DT or two in the draft. Hopefully one high and one later.

Your Snap count is a little off though. Just because there were a lot of times AD99 played wide DE.
There were a couple players that lined up inside as well that were not counted.

Yes The Rams will get a DT early in The Draft( top 100). Hard to say what McSnead will do on Draft Day!! They could move up,or even down depending on need.

I’m a believer in The 5th year if a NFL team hits on a player.Still upset The Rams holding AD99 out,but paying Goff & Gurley early.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Would much rather have Mitchell in this mock. There are a helluva lot more good DTs in this draft than CBs. DT can be found in the 3rd.
FWIW, the Athletic guys have said it's a good year for gap shooting DTs but not for gap pluggers/two gapers. It also seems like there won't be a lot of guys to fill out the 3-4 DE spots in the draft.

Sounds like theirs good CB depth... though it shouldn't mean you pass on a top one if you like them.

dang

Legend

AD - 867
Turner - 697
Williams - 598

BBrown - 313
Murchison - 252
Johnson - 102

BrownIV - 82
Durden - 44
Copeland - 11

Leaving - 1558

On roster - 1408

Vet cut as well for DL and probably Edge.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Your Snap count is a little off though. Just because there were a lot of times AD99 played wide DE.
There were a couple players that lined up inside as well that were not counted.

Yes The Rams will get a DT early in The Draft( top 100). Hard to say what McSnead will do on Draft Day!! They could move up,or even down depending on need.

I’m a believer in The 5th year if a NFL team hits on a player.Still upset The Rams holding AD99 out,but paying Goff & Gurley early.
Who?

But more important, how many times? Enough to make that ratio of 1558 to 1408 less worrisome?

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
FWIW, the Athletic guys have said it's a good year for gap shooting DTs but not for gap pluggers/two gapers. It also seems like there won't be a lot of guys to fill out the 3-4 DE spots in the draft.

Sounds like theirs good CB depth... though it shouldn't mean you pass on a top one if you like them.
It’s interesting… those guys repeatedly talk about how volatile CB play is… and how that impacts value. Look how much less Sneed got paid than Wilkins, for example.
Doesn’t that scream invest in the DL prospect higher and take multiple shots a DB later?

WestCoastRam

Legend
It’s interesting… those guys repeatedly talk about how volatile CB play is… and how that impacts value. Look how much less Sneed got paid than Wilkins, for example.
Doesn’t that scream invest in the DL prospect higher and take multiple shots a DB later?
Yeah... but if you really like a guy in the 1st I think you grab him. Cornerback is volatile and when the wheels fall off it's typically quick and there' s not many that come back from that. But when you have a top one, it changes the whole composure of your defense.

I don't know outside of Mitchell and Arnold if I feel that way about any corner in the 1st over the top 3 edges and top 2 DTs. After that I think you consider Dejean but maybe you go in a different direction and maybe offense.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I'm watching some Murphy highlights and watching him destroy centers while Sweat is usually battling guards. Shouldn't it have been the other way around? Or was that the plan? Occupy the guards and give Murphy more one on one action against centers.

Some of us want to put Sweat at a position it looks like he rarely played in college.

Seems like if you take Murphy you have to move Kobie to Donald's spot. But, if you take Newton, Kobie stays where he is and shines.

Last edited:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I'm watching some Murphy highlights and watching him destroy centers while Sweat is usually battling guards. Shouldn't it have been the other way around? Or was that the plan? Occupy the guards and give Murphy more one on one action against centers.

Some of us want to put Sweat at a position it looks like he rarely played in college.

Seems like if you take Murphy you have to move Kobie to Donald's spot. But, if you take Newton, Kobie stays where he is and shines.

One thing you should know.Les Snead & Rams scouts are dialed in there.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Again FWIW I like Newton over Murphy I understand that Murphy had more sacks & pressures, but Newton did it on a team that had less talent and he did not have T'Vondre Sweat next to him, plus Newton is great with his hands, which is what set Aaron Donald apart from the rest.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Again FWIW I like Newton over Murphy I understand that Murphy had more sacks & pressures, but Newton did it on a team that had less talent and he did not have T'Vondre Sweat next to him, plus Newton is great with his hands, which is what set Aaron Donald apart from the rest.

Don’t be surprised if The Rams go with a player like Kris Jenkins.Son of ex-NFL stud in Kris Jenkins.

He is the type of player The Rams look for if he slips into the early 3rd rd ?

Plus you have to add Swat himself into the conversation,because he is The BIGGEST STUD of them all.You talk about shutting down The Run !! I know I have my Top 3 in terms of value & perfect fits. Then again you never know how The Draft will play out & the importance of CB’s ? I’d say Latu,Payton Sweat in that order. That would make The FRONT SEVEN TOUGH !! Sign Whiterspoon & add CB’s (LBers)late for special teams & depth. I think Shula is looking for SPEED in the Back END !!

Last edited: