Byron Murphy

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memphis Ram

Legend
He would look great next to Jones. And our new DC is a LB source coach. An ILB to me feels like a luxury but if it were to happen and they get the pieces they need up front it would be fun to watch.
If Aaron Donald was in front of that ILB drawing the attention he drew, I might agree. But having that luxury appears to be over.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Is Cooper an ILB who can play OLB/Edge?
He seems more like a traditional weakside LB in a 4-3. I worry about him being run at at ILB.

But it seems like he got some snaps at OLB and did well. Think you def take that into consideration. But he's light in the pants and doubt he could do it regularly ala Micah Parsons and not sure he can offer anything but speed rush. And we saw what happens with guys who don't have a change up from speed with Young last year.

Still has a lot to offer at LB too.

50/50 he's gone by our pick in round 2.

Last edited:

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I think Hampton is going to get more snaps this year.
Maybe in 4-2-5 alignments where they mix blitzes & sim pressures.

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
He could make a big jump but will need to have added significant weight and muscle as he looked more like a safety than Linebacker last year! I want to see him rocked up like Joey Porter senior when training camp starts :)

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
He seems more like a traditional weakside LB in a 4-3. I worry about him being run at at ILB.

But it seems like he got some snaps at OLB and did well. Think you def take that into consideration. But he's light in the pants and doubt he could do it regularly ala Micah Parsons and not sure he can offer anything but speed rush. And we saw what happens with guys who don't have a change up from speed with Young last year.

Still has a lot to offer at LB too.

50/50 he's gone by our pick in round 2.
The scouting reports say Cooper struggles when OL get their hands on him. That is the very opposite of what we want in my book. Worse I have seen reports stating he doesn’t possess the instincts for coverage.

Interestingly there is an undersized ILB who excels both in Zone and tacking on blockers - one with great bloodlines - who I think Snead will like, a lot. Jeremiah Trotter Jr who might well be available when we pick in the 2nd

Memphis Ram

Legend
The scouting reports say Cooper struggles when OL get their hands on him. That is the very opposite of what we want in my book. Worse I have seen reports stating he doesn’t possess the instincts for coverage.

Interestingly there is an undersized ILB who excels both in Zone and tacking on blockers - one with great bloodlines - who I think Snead will like, a lot. Jeremiah Trotter Jr who might well be available when we pick in the 2nd
Trotter Jr. is good player, too. But I'd think he'd be a better fit on the strong side, and it appears they may be trying to extend Ernest Jones.

I prefer the taller, faster, much longer armed Cooper on the weakside as opposed to the Rams extra safety dime linebacker look the Rams have been forced to use.

Last edited:

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
He could make a big jump but will need to have added significant weight and muscle as he looked more like a safety than Linebacker last year! I want to see him rocked up like Joey Porter senior when training camp starts :)
Would love to see him with a little more weight. But he seems to be a football player.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma

I suggested to move Hampton to inside linebacker from outside a while back. He has surprisingly-long arms for his size, and he moves well enough to cover and blitz. Definitely more at home with blitzing, but in his limited snaps, he made a few impact plays.

Never give up on rookies before they can show you whom they really are.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I suggested to move Hampton to inside linebacker from outside a while back. He has surprisingly-long arms for his size, and he moves well enough to cover and blitz. Definitely more at home with blitzing, but in his limited snaps, he made a few impact plays.

Never give up on rookies before they can show you whom they really are.
1st year to 2nd year jump we'll have a 90% idea of who these guys will be going forward. Want to see what Hampton can do in a real weight room. That being said... I don't have high hopes.

Memphis Ram

Legend

Here’s what Bob McGinn’s scouting sources say about Fiske
:

“You don’t want to like him because he doesn’t look awesome,” said one scout. “But this guy plays every down like he’s going to the firing squad after the down’s over. I don’t know if I’ve ever seen anybody play this hard. The lack of length shows up as a pass rusher, but for his size he’s powerful and a penetrator. He gets behind the line of scrimmage. He can run. Really good athlete. He can bend. He’s going to be a really good player. It wouldn’t even surprise me to see him go ahead of Murphy. This guy’s a f—— buzzsaw.”
“Has short arms but uses his hands well,” a second scout said. “Outstanding worker. Has to be kicked out of the weight room. Blue-collar pro mindset. More disruptive than productive as a rusher. Gets stuck on bigger and longer offensive linemen at times.”
“He just goes all-out, all-out, all-out,” said a third scout. “The more you watch him the more you like him.”
On Byron Murphy, it’s also worth noting that McGinn’s sources spoke glowingly about him too:

“His athletic ability and quickness are amazing … off the charts,” one scout said. “Plays his ass off. He’s destructive. The two-gap stuff is not really his deal but he’ll drop a knee in there, he’ll hang in there. Pass rush, his power and explosiveness through the gap, that’s his deal. In this modern NFL, with all the throwing, he’s going to be a problem. I like him better than (Calijah) Kancey from last year, who was another undersized guy. Much better player. Stronger. Kancey kind of came on a little because he worked out like a phenom, but I don’t care how this guy worked out.”
“Disciplined both run and pass,” another scout said. “Excellent straight-line power pass rusher. Thing that worries me is he’s going to be 6-0 and weigh only 300. You will have to team him up with a (much bigger) guy. Can Murphy play square? Yes, I think he can play square.”
“High character,” said a third scout. “He’s sudden, flexible, plays on his feet. Hands and feet work well together. Got pass rush for an inside guy. He’s fairly strong for his size but he’s more of a movement-oriented scheme player, of which there are many nowadays. He’s the best one.”

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
Murphy is going to be a stud. Hope he proves it wearing horns.

dang

Legend
Yeah, just watching DJ's mock on NFL Network right now. He has us taking Latua at 19, but Newton, Murphy, Darious Robinson, and Chop Robinson all being taken after 25.

To me, I would move back if possible. Maybe a team wants one of those top remaining OTs and want to make sure they get them.
In that scenario my money is on the Rams being open to a trade down. Although something about Chop isn’t settling.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Murphy is going to be a stud. Hope he proves it wearing horns.
He is definitely cut from that cloth the Rams like in their DTs. They like penetrators.

Hoping they add a bit of size to this group personally but yeah him being the pick would not surprise me.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That list above shows how awesome it was for Snead to find Kobie Turner in the third round. Personally, I did not like the pick. I thought he was too small and the Rams already had an undersized DT in AD. Then they played him at NT, which I thought was ridiculous. Boy, was I wrong! Kobie Turner will be on that IDL list in a year or two.

I also thought drafting some unknown and oft-injured receiver named Puka Nacua in the fifth round was not goin to amount to anything. Wrong again!

WestCoastRam

Legend
That list above shows how awesome it was for Snead to find Kobie Turner in the third round. Personally, I did not like the pick. I thought he was too small and the Rams already had an undersized DT in AD. Then they played him at NT, which I thought was ridiculous. Boy, was I wrong! Kobie Turner will be on that IDL list in a year or two.

I also thought drafting some unknown and oft-injured receiver named Puka Nacua in the fifth round was not goin to amount to anything. Wrong again!
Turner's ability to play NT is actually quite nice as most of the DT's in the draft are gap shooters. Not sure we're gonna be able to find guys to play it as well and move him over to 3T so he many need to stay there.