Book recommendations

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

norcalramfan

Starter
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Black Company by Glen Cook. Fantasy series begun in about 1980 and finished about the year 2000, except he wrote another one in the last year or so that takes place earlier in the timeline. This was my favorite fantasy series until Robert Jordan’s Wheel of Time which did not recover, in my opinion from the author’s death. His widow hired someone to finish the series but it wasn’t the same for me.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The Black Company by Glen Cook. Fantasy series begun in about 1980 and finished about the year 2000, except he wrote another one in the last year or so that takes place earlier in the timeline. This was my favorite fantasy series until Robert Jordan’s Wheel of Time which did not recover, in my opinion from the author’s death. His widow hired someone to finish the series but it wasn’t the same for me.
That was Brandon Sanderson (Stormlight Archive, Mistborn, etc). I never finished the Wheel of Time. I had to put it down for a couple of months and the story was way too involved to jump back into. I got confused and never picked it up again.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Bring on the Rythm of War! I can’t wait either!

So far I’m only one book into the Licanius Trilogy by James Islington, but I’d recommend it to all you Sanderson fans out there.

The prose is a little ruff at first but vastly improves as the book progresses. Its Islington’s first go at a trilogy so help a guy out. The first book is called “The Shadow of What Was Lost.”

@Tron @RhodyRams
Will def check it out, thanks for the notice.

norcalramfan

Starter
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That was Brandon Sanderson (Stormlight Archive, Mistborn, etc). I never finished the Wheel of Time. I had to put it down for a couple of months and the story was way too involved to jump back into. I got confused and never picked it up again.
The complexity made it fun for me. There were several websites devoted to theories on who was responsible for what. Both the Black Company and Wheel of Time have TV series in production. When they'll air I have no idea.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Is it all right if I post a short story of mine on this thread?

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
When others say that things can’t really get worse, they’re only deluding themselves. I know this firsthand: they can and will get worse.

It had been a terribly long winter in the year of 1886. The crops had quickly died, and the livestock had followed soon after. And then our son - my teenaged boy - had disappeared along with my husband, Eric.

At first, I hadn’t paid it any notice. They were supposed to go on a long hunting trip to refill our larders, since we had already eaten the last of the livestock a week ago. It was when they didn’t come back the following night that I began to truly worry.

So I set out to find them, covering myself in thick coats made from the pelts of various animals. I also brought along the Springfield rifle that Eric had purchased from the white men two years ago, strapping it to my back, so that I could use it at a moment’s notice.

The journey was long and dangerous. Even with the tracking skills that I had learned from my father when I was a little girl, living my whole life along the Algonquin people, I still struggled to find their trail with all of the snow that had fallen over the past few days. The ice that subtly lay beneath the snow only made the trek more treacherous.

The outlines of the pine trees cast deep shadows that I could barely see through with all of the accursed snow falling from the cloudy sky. It made the time hard to judge. It had to be sometime in the day. I would have to move fast. I wasn’t at all certain that the daylight would last for very long, and that would force me to wait a night, but if I waited it out, one or both of them would likely perish.

My luck seemed to hold, though; after I thought the trail had gone cold, it had ended at a large ravine. I squinted to see through the snow. My eyes widened, and I let out a sharp gasp when I saw the tiny figure lying so ominously still at the bottom of a twenty-foot drop.

Call it a mother’s instinct, if you will, but I knew that the figure lying there was my son. But where was his father? My husband would have never left his only child - a child named after him, no less - to die alone.

I decided to go into the ravine myself. Fortunately, finding a way down was much easier than it seemed. There was a large fir tree that had grown into the ravine about a mile away, and there was much less ice than I thought there would be. When I got down to the bottom, I rushed over to the figure I had seen. I was far too late.

Eric Jr. had broken his neck and had died almost instantly when he had hit the ground. Tears immediately leapt to my eyes, as I sobbed and cradled my son’s body, feeling the bone that jutted from the back of his neck. I kissed his forehead and held him closer...when I felt an absence where his arms were. I took a closer look and let out a horrified scream. Something had torn off and eaten all of the flesh on his arms.

“Hey, stop screaming! You’re giving me a headache.”

I whirled around, seeing a gaunt figure lying underneath a nearby outcropping.

“Eric, is that you?” I whispered, my voice trembling. “What happened? What happened to my boy?!”

Our boy,” he corrected. His eyes stared at something only he could see. “Our son fell into the ravine. I tried to stop him from falling, and I got pulled in as well. I broke both of my legs...and you can see what happened to him.”

“That’s not my point!” I wailed. “What happened to his body?! What wild beast ate a part of him?!

Eric Sr. closed his eyes. When he opened them, they had turned a deep crimson color. “I was starving.” His voice sounded very wrong. “You must understand. There was nothing to eat, an-”

He stopped his sentence, and began to spasm and roar in pain, as a set of large, jagged fangs erupted from his mouth, as waves of pale-white fur cascaded down his skin from head to toe. His clothes ripped apart as he grew taller.

“No...the legends, the wendigo...it can’t be real, it can’t be real...” I whimpered, my eyes as wide as full moons.

I heard an audible crack as the bones in his legs somehow rejoined to become whole. It was then that the monster that was my husband lunged at my son’s remains, quickly devouring them. I ran into the woods, unable to keep myself from screaming in pure terror.

I had never run faster in my life. My boots pounded the rough ground, as I willed my feet to move swifter. My skirts and coats tore themselves on the bushes, and my heart was beating like a frantic bird in a cage, but I didn’t care. Flight had overtaken my sense of reason, and I only stopped when I slipped on an ice patch.

I heard a primal howl in the distance, so furious, so frightening, that I pissed myself. I hid behind a nearby spruce tree, knowing that it would do no good with the scent clearly staining the snow yellow.

It was then that I remembered the rifle attached to my back. I quickly untied it, my fingers fumbling as the baying grew louder. I cocked the bolt-action lever, as the beast found my trail.

I peeked around to see its beady eyes, glowing like red-hot coals, as it searched for the only living human blood: me. My hands were shaking violently. I stared the monster down the iron sights of the rifle, praying that it wouldn’t see me.

I heard the beast harshly breathing, saw its emaciated and bony ribcage rise and fall with its breaths. It turned toward me, and it caught my eyes. I saw a look of guilty recognition, as the beast hesitated for a split-second.

I did not.

I shot it between the eyes...and when I caught the scent of blood and brains spilling over the snow and ice, I realized something: I was very, very hungry.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
If you are looking for a great non-fiction read, check out The Girl With Seven Names: A North Korean Defector's Story by Hyeonseo Lee.

My one word review: Unputdownable.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not a Yankees fan but the George Steinbrenner biography was a good read. Also read an Abraham Lincoln biography A Team of Rivals and that was fascinating as a history geek.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Forgotten Man, by Amity Schlaes. He does an economic reinterpretation of the Great Depression years through which he revives the original intent of what "The Forgotten Man" originally expressed by William Graham Sumner in the 1880's

Algebraically, A + B + C = X. If A and B decide to help X with a problem, they coerce C in their plan to help X. In this expression, C is the forgotten man, or small business owners tradesmen, etc... (self sufficient people)

FDR turned that meaning on its head, because he called those who needed govt help as being the Forgotten Man (X). This is a great reinterpretation of the 1920's and 1930's.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
The Forgotten Man, by Amity Schlaes. He does an economic reinterpretation of the Great Depression years through which he revives the original intent of what "The Forgotten Man" originally expressed by William Graham Sumner in the 1880's

Excellent book, but minor quibble ... Amity is a she ... :)

She used to be a WSJ reporter if I'm not mistaken.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If anyone has had the pleasure of watching Bosch on Amazon, and even those that haven’t, Michael Connelly’s Harry Bosch series books are great.
Been writing them for 30 years and really does a great job of seeing both sides on social issues.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If anyone has had the pleasure of watching Bosch on Amazon, and even those that haven’t, Michael Connelly’s Harry Bosch series books are great.
Been writing them for 30 years and really does a great job of seeing both sides on social issues.
I've read almost all of them. I love Hieronymous, whose name rhymes with Anonymous!

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
Red Storm Rising and other older Clancy novels are a favorite. Yeah I need to read some newer books from this century, Lol.

Right now i'm reading a Steve McQueen biography.

started the Brad Taylor thriller series...pretty good so far...read all the Vince Flynn books

what’s the title of the McQueen bio?

gonna start McCulloch bio of Teddy Roosevelt soon

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
So the next book in the Dresden Files series comes out next Tuesday (yay) but they've been releasing one chapter per week for the last 6 weeks on the author's website. It is not 16, but if you wanted to get a feel for the story and working style before jumping in (at the third book, Grave Peril, do not bother with the first two until you like the series) to a huge series, you now have a chance.

I also have almost finished listening to Call Sign Chaos by Jim Mattie. That's a pretty darn good book too.

Business Adventures was an interesting but not useful book. I enjoyed it but it has no practical application for me personally. It's Bill Gates' most highly recommended business book. He must be a hair smarter than me to get something out of it. If you're into business history, I'd recommend it. Or banking. Might be useful for bankers/investors.

RamsFanCK

HAIL ME
Rythm of War is out! Just got my copy!
A8111D40-39EA-4FF2-8B8F-3CF16170F69F.jpeg

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
My first exposure to Philosophy was to just pick up random books filled with quotes from Aristotle, Plato, Socrates, Confucius, etc, and just read their writings (often in the bathroom, because this was pre-cellphone era). But i only gained a rudimentary understanding of their guiding principles. It was repetitious and boring after a while. Then I read “Sophie’s World” by Jostein Gaarder some time later. I wish I had started there first. It’s kind of an introduction to Philosophy melded with a fantasy novel. Couldn’t put it down. It really gets you immersed in a journey of philosophical pursuit, almost effortlessly. Like you want to get answers to the age-old questions, so you watch as she digs deeper for you. Really quite a good book.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett. About a medieval (itinerant) mason, (basically the architects of the middle ages), and his family, set in the backdrop of Feudal Europe. Pretty cool if you like historical fiction, and/or architecture.

Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand - basically my 20th century bible. She also wrote The Fountainhead, which WAS about an architect, but she was just warming up.

Reacher and Bosch series are great, as have been alluded to.

Martin Cruz Smith series starting with Gorky Park, about Arkady Renko, a Moscow police detective, is outstanding.

@Mojo - my dad gave me Tarzan of the Apes for my eighth birthday, which I (at the time) had no interest in it at all. I got grounded for something 6 months later, and banished to my room and bored, picked it up and almost finished it in a day.
Reason I mention it, Burroughs also introduced me to Science Fiction, which I have loved ever since.
Stranger in a Strange Land, and Dune are still on my all-time list.

Last edited: