Book recommendations

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Fitz and the Fool trilogy by Robin Hobb as well, the entire series is 3 trilogies and are all great.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Yeah, waiting on the Doors of Stone has been one of life's disappointments, so far. 9 years and counting....

How excited are you for the Rythm of War (Book for of the Stormlight Archive) man! November can't get here fast enough!
lol bigger dissapointment than the wind of winter still not out. Rather have Doors of Stone than that, this waiting sucks.

The Stormlight Archive is my favorite series now behind The Dark Tower. Kaladin is my fkn homie!!!

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron

giphy.gif

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I'll suggest the trilogy "The Testing" by Joelle Charbonneau. It's a lot like the Hunger Games...only better. Think more analytical, and the female character has a personality.

I also HIGHLY recommend Fire Bringer and The Sight, both by David Clement Davies. They're anthropomorphic animals, sure, but you will cry at some of the deaths, like I did.

RamsFanCK

HAIL ME
lol bigger dissapointment than the wind of winter still not out. Rather have Doors of Stone than that, this waiting sucks.

The Stormlight Archive is my favorite series now behind The Dark Tower. Kaladin is my fkn homie!!!
Haha right! I can't do any R.R. Martin until he finishes the dang series. Rothfuss has me paranoid about starting series that aren't finished.

It's part of the reason I love Sanderson. He keeps his readers up to date on progress, sticks to promises, all while still writing epic books. I'm going to have to check out The Dark Tower!

Have you heard the Kaladin Album yet? It's high quality!

Last edited:

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Haha right! I can't do any R.R. Martin until he finishes the dang series. Rothfuss has me paranoid about starting series that aren't finished.

It's part of the reason I love Sanderson. He keeps his readers up to date on progress, sticks to promises, all while still writing epic books. I'm going to have to check out The Dark Tower!

Have you seen the Kaladin Album yet? It's high quality!

Agree about Sanderson, and he is fast at writing too, like insanely fast, doing random book and trilogies all at once and actually coming out with them.

Agree the Rothfuss wait has been worrisome but i think it'll happen someday soon. this year i hope lol.

This album is perfect for him, especially the beginning of it and his fight at the end of book 2 vs Szeth. I will listen to whole thing for sure, amazing. He is one of my favorite characters ever.

Dark tower is a mind fuck man, but amazing. Never read anything like it.

Great minds...

RamsFanCK

HAIL ME
Agree about Sanderson, and he is fast at writing too, like insanely fast, doing random book and trilogies all at once and actually coming out with them.

Agree the Rothfuss wait has been worrisome but i think it'll happen someday soon. this year i hope lol.

This album is perfect for him, especially the beginning of it and his fight at the end of book 2 vs Szeth. I will listen to whole thing for sure, amazing. He is one of my favorite characters ever.

Dark tower is a mind fuck man, but amazing. Never read anything like it.

Great minds...

I was lucky enough to meet him when Oathbringer came out, he's a good dude to talk to as well. He honestly loves his fans.

Don't hold your breath lol wouldn't want you to pass out!

The album is actually a soundtrack for book 1. I've been bugging them to do one for each book. I'd donate to that go fund me for sure!

The Gunslinger is the place to start right? I need a good mind fuck for the end of the world lol

Think alike...;)

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I was lucky enough to meet him when Oathbringer came out, he's a good dude to talk to as well. He honestly loves his fans.

Don't hold your breath lol wouldn't want you to pass out!

The album is actually a soundtrack for book 1. I've been bugging them to do one for each book. I'd donate to that go fund me for sure!

The Gunslinger is the place to start right? I need a good mind fuck for the end of the world lol

Think alike...;)
damn lucky fuck!!

i'd love one for each book, that'd be awesome.

Yes The Gunslinger is the first, It changes big time from book 1 compared to the others.

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed......

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Cool to see the Dark Tower series mentioned. Epic. They sure did blow that film though. Single serving Hollywood trash.

I love sci fi and Ray Bradbury is still my favorite. Martian Chronicles, Illustrated Man in particular.

Michael Crichton novels too. I remember reading Jurassic Park when it came out and thought it was brilliant so i went back and read his other stuff. I had no idea at the time that Crichton was the writer/director of the original '73 Westworld film which i loved as a kid. Same theme as Jurassic except robots instead of dinos.
Andromeda Strain is a fantastic read and most relevant in our current times.

Red Storm Rising and other older Clancy novels are a favorite. Yeah I need to read some newer books from this century, Lol.

Right now i'm reading a Steve McQueen biography.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Michael Crichton novels too. I remember reading Jurassic Park when it came out and thought it was brilliant so i went back and read his other stuff. I had no idea at the time that Crichton was the writer/director of the original '73 Westworld film which i loved as a kid. Same theme as Jurassic except robots instead of dinos.

Holy fuck, yes on Crichton! I absolutely loved Micro. It's a shame that he passed away before finishing his many, many projects. His ideas on science fiction were numerous, and none of them felt like reading the exact same book - which is something that some authors/authoresses fail to do.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
If you like history and audio books, In Harms Way by Doug Stanton is one of the best.

For something great and similar, like super entertaining audiobooks, check out Dan Carlin's Hardcore History if you havent already.. It's the best podcast, ever. Evurrr.

GBRam15

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
GBRam15
I gotta say it's pretty neat recognizing some sci fi and fantasy books from my Goodreads "Recommendations" and "Want to Read list." I'm currently working on Conquest: Montezuma, Cortes, and the Fall of Old Mexico by Hugh Thomas, which is fantastic but incredibly long with a great deal of information. Hopefully I finish it soon (I've been at it for almost 2 years now). I've accumulated the first 3 books of the Hyperion Cantos series, so maybe I'll start with that or one of the many other recommendations from ROD once I finish Conquest.

CeeZar

Rookie
Here are a couple of unique military books. Both were outstanding.

D DAY Through German Eyes - The Hidden Story of June 6th 1944
Almost all accounts of D Day are told from the Allied perspective, with the emphasis on how German resistance was overcome on June 6th 1944. But what was it like to be a German soldier in the bunkers and gun emplacements of the Normandy coast, facing the onslaught of the mightiest seaborne invasion in history?
What motivated the German defenders, what were their thought processes - and how did they fight from one strong point to another, among the dunes and fields, on that first cataclysmic day? What were their experiences on facing the tanks, the flamethrowers and the devastating air superiority of the Allies?

This book sheds fascinating light on these questions, bringing together statements made by German survivors after the war, when time had allowed them to reflect on their state of mind, their actions and their choices of June 6th.

We see a perspective of D Day which deserves to be added to the historical record, in which ordinary German troops struggled to make sense of the onslaught that was facing them, and emerged stunned at the weaponry and sheer determination of the Allied soldiers. We see, too, how the Germans fought in the great coastal bunkers, perceived as impregnable fortresses, but in reality often becoming tombs for their crews.

Above all, we now have the unheard human voices of the individual German soldiers - the men who are so often portrayed as a faceless mass.

Devil's Guard
The ashes of World War II were still cooling when France went to war in the jungles of Southeast Asia. In that struggle, its frontline troops were the misfits, criminals, and mercenaries of the French Foreign Legion. And among that international army of the desperate and the damned, none were so bloodstained as the fugitive veterans of the German S.S.

WHAT THEY DID IN VIETNAM WAS ITS UGLIEST SECRET—UNTIL NOW.

Loathed by the French, feared and hated by the Vietnamese, the Germans fought not for patriotism of glory but because fighting for France was better than hanging from its gallows. Here now is the untold story of the killer elite whose discipline, ferocity, and suicidal courage made them the weapon of last resort.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
@Tron and @RamsFanCK

Don't know whether to Thank You or curse you for the Stormlight series

So Thuck you!
I'm super excited for the next one coming out. I got one of my guys at work reading it too.

I recently started reading (listening to) the Cinder Spires series by Jim Butcher. It's definitely not in the same league as the Dresden Files (nothing is, it's ok), but it might be perfect for cat people. Magic crystals, airships, talking cats, etc. Decent read, but didn't personally grab me.

RamsFanCK

HAIL ME
I'm super excited for the next one coming out. I got one of my guys at work reading it too.

I recently started reading (listening to) the Cinder Spires series by Jim Butcher. It's definitely not in the same league as the Dresden Files (nothing is, it's ok), but it might be perfect for cat people. Magic crystals, airships, talking cats, etc. Decent read, but didn't personally grab me.
Bring on the Rythm of War! I can’t wait either!

So far I’m only one book into the Licanius Trilogy by James Islington, but I’d recommend it to all you Sanderson fans out there.

The prose is a little ruff at first but vastly improves as the book progresses. Its Islington’s first go at a trilogy so help a guy out. The first book is called “The Shadow of What Was Lost.”

@Tron @RhodyRams

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Bring on the Rythm of War! I can’t wait either!

So far I’m only one book into the Licanius Trilogy by James Islington, but I’d recommend it to all you Sanderson fans out there.

The prose is a little ruff at first but vastly improves as the book progresses. Its Islington’s first go at a trilogy so help a guy out. The first book is called “The Shadow of What Was Lost.”

@Tron @RhodyRams
I've been thinking about picking that up, but I've been worried about grabbing new series from unknown authors. I treat my tbr like I treat my firewall rules: if I don't know you're good, you're not getting in there.

Thanks for the recommendation. I think I still have a audible credit.