Book recommendations

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamsAndEwe

Rookie
Im a huge Jordan Peterson fan. His youtube videos are legendary. I got 12 rules for life on hardback for Christmas but my eyes cant handle print anymore or I get a headache. I need to get the Audiobook!

I purchased Peterson's book and gifted it to my son.

Kristen Lavransdatter by Sigrid Undset
Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace
Boy's Life by Robert McCammon

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Chariots of the Gods is a classic.
Holds up pretty well too.

As time goes by... it's actually much more like reality. Pretty cool. The author (von Daniken) used to get called all kinda negative names. He's old as dirt now... but many that used to laugh at him are now in his corner.

fearsomefour

Legend
As time goes by... it's actually much more like reality. Pretty cool. The author (von Daniken) used to get called all kinda negative names. He's old as dirt now... but many that used to laugh at him are now in his corner.
Much more of this sort of thing is incoming.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
The movies don’t do them justice but the Jack Reacher series by Lee Child are awesome.

I recommend going in order - it’s not completely necessary but I recommend it nonetheless- so start with Killing Floor.

Also, the Amos Decker series by Baldacci are very much worthwhile. A little more important to go in order for these - number one on the list is Memory Man.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay

I was a big ancient aliens fan. When the whole world starting carrying cameras with them everywhere they go, I figured it was only a matter of time before we had some compelling footage. It seems that hasn’t happened. Not to hijack the thread - I’m glad books are still a thing - but why so many fewer sightings in the age of cell phones? Maybe they don’t want to be seen. Maybe they left a long time ago. Maybe they were never here.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I was a big ancient aliens fan. When the whole world starting carrying cameras with them everywhere they go, I figured it was only a matter of time before we had some compelling footage. It seems that hasn’t happened. Not to hijack the thread - I’m glad books are still a thing - but why so many fewer sightings in the age of cell phones? Maybe they don’t want to be seen. Maybe they left a long time ago. Maybe they were never here.

Well... the key word you used there was ANCIENT. His book isn't about ET's visiting the earth today. It's about them being here way back in the past.

I'm not saying that I necessarily agree with the author... but his ideas in the book are fascinating if you keep an open mind. Fun reading and some real head scratching theories that seem to be more likely as time passes. He wrote that thing decades ago.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm pretty much exclusively in audio books now. I have an hour and fifteen minute commute, 10 work day, and full time college at night. I like to joke that I'm too important to read with my own eyes, but really it's that I don't have the time.

The newest Larry Correia book is out and pretty good. I know might have just lost some friends saying that. Oh well. He writes good books.

Petrowsky

Rookie
Name
Petrowsky
We have a lot of people into a lot of different things here and I thought it would be cool to get people taking about the books they read. Similar to the "Rate the last film you saw" thread, but I didn't want to limit it to the last book.

I mostly listen to audio books now, and somebody asked about those recently, but I used to read dead tree books all the time. Children ruined that. Thanks kids. Anyway, it doesn't matter if it's learning books, self help, fiction, science, or whatever. Just recommend something good.

I''m not sure if this needs to be split into two threads one for fiction, science fiction, fantasy, horror, etc, and one for business, history, learning, self help, etc.

I'll give two to start off.

How Google Works
Highly recommend

I should probably include the author's but I don't remember and I'm too lazy to go look it up. This was a really interesting book about how they built their culture and maintain their level of performance. Obviously they aren't giving away business secrets, but they are giving away culture secrets which might be more important. The whole thing revolves around what they call "smart creatives". Basically really smart, really creative people who are internally driven to create and improve great things. I'm very interested in business, culture, leadership, etc so this was an interesting look into how a really successful company does that. Very enjoyable.

Night wise by RS Belcher
Urban fantasy, highly recommend (if you're into that)

This one is a cool story about a guy who is kind of a redneck wizard prodigy. A friend of his asks him to track down the guy who killed his wife. He gets a really eclectic group of acquaintances, gets involved in some really weird, crazy stuff, and it's all just really interesting. The ending leaves a little too be desired, but the beginning and end make up for it. He makes a big deal out of the music people are listening to, so if you're into music it might be even better. I'm not. It didn't make an impact on me. The sequel, The Night Dahlia, and the shared universe series Brotherhood of the Wheel and King of the Road are also excellent. The author makes an effort to be intentionally diverse, so if that's your thing it checks that box.

Anybody have any good books you recommend?
Anything by Erik Larson. Devil in the White City, In the Garden of Beasts, and Isaac’s Storm we’re fantastic.

Also, Blink by Malcolm Gladwell is really really good, as well as Incognito by David Eagleman. Both of those books as about psychology, but are so incredibly delightful to read.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Anything by Erik Larson. Devil in the White City, In the Garden of Beasts, and Isaac’s Storm we’re fantastic.

Also, Blink by Malcolm Gladwell is really really good, as well as Incognito by David Eagleman. Both of those books as about psychology, but are so incredibly delightful to read.

A lot of books I read reference work by Malcolm Gladwell, but I haven't ever read anything of his myself.

Petrowsky

Rookie
Name
Petrowsky
A lot of books I read reference work by Malcolm Gladwell, but I haven't ever read anything of his myself.
You should really check out Blink. He’s a journalist, but this book is about how your subconscious mind can me much more efficient and effective than conscious thoughts. The examples he gives are just amazing. I couldn’t put the book down.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
How to Survive a Demonic Invasion, by yours truly. Warrior/Sage/Cleric.net (the prequel to How to Survive a Demonic Invasion), by yours truly. Upsilon (a spinoff), by yours truly. The other three as-of now unnamed sequels to How to Survive a Demonic Invasion, by yours truly.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I've only read The Tipping Point. The problem with it was that it started as a magazine article and the rest of the book was very blatant padding. Hopefully, his later books (this was his first) have overcome that problem.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
How to Survive a Demonic Invasion, by yours truly. Warrior/Sage/Cleric.net (the prequel to How to Survive a Demonic Invasion), by yours truly. Upsilon (a spinoff), by yours truly. The other three as-of now unnamed sequels to How to Survive a Demonic Invasion, by yours truly.
I'm not sure how I missed this before. I'm hoping that the books don't isn't because they aren't done/published. Have you an ebook or on demand printing for them or anything?

Memento

Name
Jemma
I'm not sure how I missed this before. I'm hoping that the books don't isn't because they aren't done/published. Have you an ebook or on demand printing for them or anything?

Well...they aren't finished yet, hence the blue font. :p I did finish a recent short story called "Poached", so there's that. :D

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
I recently finished House of Assassins. It was good. I'm more interested in the back story than the current story, but everyone else I know or have heard of that read it (and the first one), loves it (and the first one). It's a really good fantasy novel set in an India themed setting.

I also just finished Ego is the Enemy by Ryan Holliday. I can't say it spoke to me, but the message is good. Some people say I really need a book like this. Some people haven't met me yet. Whatever. My experience is mine alone and other people not understanding it doesn't lower the value of the lessons I've learned. Hopefully I can take some of the things said on it and apply them more openly so that I don't appear to be such an arrogant douche canoe. Of course, wiring about how people see me is also egocentric, so maybe I should continue to appear to be arrogant? I'm not really sure anymore.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Well...they aren't finished yet, hence the blue font. :p I did finish a recent short story called "Poached", so there's that. :D
Is it still on your lightning paper, or do you publish them to a website or something?

Memento

Name
Jemma
Is it still on your lightning paper, or do you publish them to a website or something?

Right now, they're all on Google Docs. I haven't published anything yet (still working on grammar structure - my weakness - for Poached), but the entirety is finished. I want to publish it to a magazine or something, but I'm not sure where to go with it. So, there's that. :)

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
I do a lot of audio books as I have a fair amount of windshield time.
Most recently Jordan Peterson 12 Rules for Life.
Thought provoking in certain ways.
Ive enjoyed it so far.
I’ve been binge-watching his videos for months now. Heroic cultural figure. Brave in these times.
Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand is a must read IMO
Amazing book. Amazing life. I had a chance to see him live shortly before his death a couple years ago.