Benched: Eli Manning’s streak of 210 consecutive regular-season starts comes to an end

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
During Eli's 210 game streak the Browns started 24 different QB's.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
ing, who has not missed a Giants game since November 2004, will give way to former Jets second-round pick Geno Smith. Davis Webb, a third-round pick in 2017, will also get playing time. Manning was offered to take ceremonial starting snaps to keep the record alive, but passed

The Giants offering to let Manning take ceremonial snaps to keep his record alive makes this even worst. This is a real slap in the face and I am sure it infuriated him being the competitor that he is. Maybe he will retire and get with Peyton to coach the University of Tennessee. That would be awesome.

jetplt67

Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...
There is no way on gods earth that Geno Smith gives the giants a better chance to win.

Benching a legend, who has actually played decent, for a dude who won’t even be on the team in 6 weeks is one of the most disrespectful things I’ve ever heard in sports.
Disrespectful LOL

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Eli Manning has been benched. For Geno Smith.

In a stunning announcement Tuesday afternoon, Giants coach Ben McAdoo said Smith will start over Manning in Sunday’s game against the Raiders. The Giants are also planning to play rookie quarterback Davis Webb this season, McAdoo said, although it’s unclear whether Webb will play on Sunday.

Geno will start this week,” McAdoo said. “Over the last five games, we will take a look at Geno, and we will also give Davis an opportunity.”
Just heard...the Giants are the last NFL franchise that has NEVER started a black QB....now we know...Geno gets a....whatever, then Davis Webb begins...I actually like Webb.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
sorry Eli, don't care unless you come to the Rams to back-up the GOAT!
~Me and LACHAMP46

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just heard...the Giants are the last NFL franchise that has NEVER started a black QB....now we know...Geno gets a....whatever, then Davis Webb begins...I actually like Webb.
If they were starting Webb, I could almost understand. Geno? We all know what he can do, especially in New York

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
what in the sam hill could Mcadoo be thinkin, he best move to Nevada, and i'm talkin east of Reno, the wastelands...
train
Well, Jerry Reese and allegedly the Mara's have also approved it, so he's not on his own...
Of course Reese and Mac will have plenty of time together after the season to help each other work on their resume

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Can you imagine the fan revolt if McAdoo isn't fired after the season?

ProGen

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Eli will always have a special place in the hearts of any Patriot-hating Rams fan. Two of THE GREATEST games I've ever watched were those bowls against the Pats! Hope he goes to a good team if he leaves the Giants.

A_uNVhDCQAADIzz.png

GBRam15

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
GBRam15
Screw that organization. Not only are they disrespecting an icon for that franchise, they are also making it pretty obvious they plan to tank the rest of the season for a top 2 pick. If the season ended today, they would have the 3rd pick in the draft. With the Whiners facing Chicago and Houston and Garappolo starting, they could very well get at least one more win before season's end, pushing them out of the 2nd pick. If this were to happen and the Giants were to lose out, they would hold the 2nd pick in the draft. What better way to ensure no more wins than to bench your most experienced and competitive player for a punk like Geno Smith?

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
The Giants offering to let Manning take ceremonial snaps to keep his record alive makes this even worst. This is a real slap in the face and I am sure it infuriated him being the competitor that he is. Maybe he will retire and get with Peyton to coach the University of Tennessee. That would be awesome.

I think that was insulting to even bring that up, nd good for Eli to tell them "no thanks".

Ken

Starter
Name
Ken Morris
Maybe it's time the NFL starts using a lottery for high draft picks like the NBA to discourage tanking. Every team with a record of 4-12 or worse would be put in a pool with an equal chance of getting the top pick.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...envisioned-playing-for-anyone-else-until-now/

Archie Manning: Eli “never envisioned” playing for anyone else until now
Posted by Josh Alper on November 29, 2017

477713366-e1511979775883.jpg

Getty Images

When Eli Manning entered the league in 2004, his father Archie and others worked hard to set up the trade that sent his son’s draft rights from the Chargers to the Giants.

Many people are speculating that Eli is going to be on the move again after the team’s move to bench him this week. Manning said on Tuesday that he doesn’t know if he’ll play for the Giants in 2018 and his father told Gary Myers of the New York Daily News that moving on isn’t something anyone’s been thinking about.

“There is no sense doing a lot of speculating from his standpoint,” Archie Manning said. “There is no way of knowing. I don’t think Eli ever envisioned, until now, playing for somebody else. That’s the love he has for the Giants. It is kind of unique and stronger than most. It’s not just the game he loves to play. He loves to play for the Giants.”

The elder Manning said his son isn’t bitter, but the move “breaks his heart.”

The fact that the door’s now open to playing elsewhere likely means there has to be consideration about where he wants to go next. Manning’s contract with the Giants has a no-trade clause and is due a $5 million roster bonus three days into the 2018 league year, so he’ll be choosing his landing spot again one way or another.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This offseason already is set up to be a RARE one in which more talent at the QB position than is usual will change teams. Adding the likely departure of Eli to that mix makes it even moreso now. It's crazy, and it is going to have far-reaching impact on the power structure of the league IMO.

Jags will probably trade for Eli if they have to. Would not surprise me in the least. McAdouche is going to go down as the most bumbling jack@ss in NY since Rich Kotite.