About Goff from a 49er fan...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Oh and since he was brought up let's talk Alex Smith. Look what happened to him once he got an oline wr Corp and scheme thst fits him.
But why would we compare Goff to Smith? It's not like they were both 1st overall picks who are/were on terrible teams....

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
You are too short on Goffs leash IMO.
I'm just looking at how he throws, esp. under pressure...Supposedly a strength. Whatever, sorry to be so blunt elm...

And Kaep in the NFC championship game was special...That entire SB run, dude looked inhuman. And was a force...

I clearly see your hatred of a rookie thrust into a crap o line a wr Corp of 3s a star running back who isn't helping the situation at all and a oc who has no clue what he's doing.
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol

Matt Stafford seems to do pretty good....yep all o-lines and weapons..and rb....who is Detroit's RB anyway?

@Legatron4
Aaron Donald...Johnny Hekker...TJ MacDonald...Alex Ogletree...as in good and could start almost anywhere...Maybe I need to see more of them under new coaching...I really have a problem with players that don't play hard...every single game. Regardless of talent.

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm just looking at how he throws, esp. under pressure...Supposedly a strength. Whatever, sorry to be so blunt elm...

And Kaep in the NFC championship game was special...That entire SB run, dude looked inhuman. And was a force...

Kaep is a bad QB. He got exposed. He's never had the mental processing speed or ability to read the defenses needed to thrive in the NFL. He did well early on because Harbaugh's scheme masked his flaws and the talent surrounding him protected him. Teams figured out what he could and couldn't do, and he fell apart.

Now, he's a guy who only qualifies for bridge status.

Matt Stafford seems to do pretty good....yep all o-lines and weapons..and rb....who is Detroit's RB anyway?

Interesting that you mention Matt Stafford while criticizing Goff for his rookie struggles. Take a look at Stafford's rookie season.

Last edited:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

@Legatron4
Aaron Donald...Johnny Hekker...TJ MacDonald...Alex Ogletree...as in good and could start almost anywhere...Maybe I need to see more of them under new coaching...I really have a problem with players that don't play hard...every single game. Regardless of talent.

Special? Do you go by the nickname, Jaws? Kaepernick was smoke. Once teams started figuring out the read option he was toast and when forced to try to be a pocket passer he struggled reading the entire field. Roman had to trim the offense to give him half field reads. Kaepernick also had a lot of talent surrounding him.

Back to Goff though...call it blunt if you want. I call it unrealistic. He is a rookie that never played in a pro scheme and he is doing it with a terrible assemblage of coaching and teammates. How is he supposed to look?

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
The disaster this team has become can be totally blamed on the coaching staff. The talent, for the most part, is there. But they were never properly coached to be cohesive and unified in their play. There is no other explanation for the continual boneheaded penalties and missed assignments.
"THIS^^^^!!!!"

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
I do not get some of the hate this kid receives from Rams fans. You see, I experienced Alex Smith, who threw ONE TD to ELEVEN interceptions his rookie season.

You guys think the sky is falling with Goff, imagine having non-functional Alex Smith. Man... Goff showed some skill yesterday. Skill in the pocket, and he was able to throw a few solid medium ranged passes. He's a rookie. There's no way around the growing pains of that. But my goodness he is miles beyond some other rookie QBs.

I think his future is bright. That's my two sense. Hopefully you guys won't be so hard on him given that he's just learning. He wasn't even in anything remotely resembling a pro offense in college. Give him time.

The world is coming to an end
... i agree with a 49er fan...
Heaven help us

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Kaep is a bad QB. He got exposed. He's never had the mental processing speed or ability to read the defenses needed to thrive in the NFL. He did well early on because Harbaugh's scheme masked his flaws and the talent surrounding him protected him. Teams figured out what he could and couldn't do, and he fell apart.

Now, he's a guy who only qualifies for bridge status.
Kaep
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/K/KaepCo00.htm

Bad QB? Okay....

I doubt you'll ever see a QB throw for 300 and run for 100 on the road in Green Bay ever again. in a playoff game.....Ever..

He's been bad of late...oh yeah, his original coach has been gone for the 2 years when he's looked terrible. He did look pretty good the last game...
ow is he supposed to look?
Like he's an NFL #1 overall pick...Standing strong in the pocket, throwing lasers all over the field...whether they get picked, dropped, or intercepted. Running for firsts if necessary. Sliding around the pocket. Not floating the ball all over the place. Getting worse every game. One of the worst defenses in the league, and he has his worst game...

Granted, I've seen a bunch of more football than both of you...Maybe not you Elm...I've seen QB's since 1974...I've seen Shack Harris...I've seen Pat Haden...And I'll stand by my eyes...he looks more like Haden than Harris. It's not the scheme I'm looking at...Not the talent around him...I'm looking at Goff...the strength, the talent...and the decision making. Without a major 180 degree turnaround, dude isn't franchise material. Game manager at best...Injury prone at worst.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Granted, I've seen a bunch of more football than both of you...Maybe not you Elm...I've seen QB's since 1974...I've seen Shack Harris...I've seen Pat Haden...And I'll stand by my eyes...he looks more like Haden than Harris. It's not the scheme I'm looking at...Not the talent around him...I'm looking at Goff...the strength, the talent...and the decision making. Without a major 180 degree turnaround, dude isn't franchise material. Game manager at best...Injury prone at worst.

And I've seen about as much football as you as have a lot of people around here. I see enough out of the kid I'm excited for the next couple of year. Maybe in all of the football you've seen you just forgot that he looks at times like a rookie. At times he looks like a damned good QB surrounded by a bunch of garbage.

Scirca

Rookie
Kaep

Bad QB? Okay....

I doubt you'll ever see a QB throw for 300 and run for 100 on the road in Green Bay ever again. in a playoff game.....Ever..

He's been bad of late...oh yeah, his original coach has been gone for the 2 years when he's looked terrible. He did look pretty good the last game...
Like he's an NFL #1 overall pick...Standing strong in the pocket, throwing lasers all over the field...whether they get picked, dropped, or intercepted. Running for firsts if necessary. Sliding around the pocket. Not floating the ball all over the place. Getting worse every game. One of the worst defenses in the league, and he has his worst game...

First of all, Kaepernick is done in the league. The 49ers are going to draft a QB in the first round. One good game or bad game doesn't determine a player or else Nick Foles is one of the greatest QB's in the history of the game because he threw 7 tds.

For you to say that he isn't a franchise quarterback because of his first 6 games, is a joke because of everything that's around him. Then to say he looks like game manager at best and Injury prone at worst, is frankly silly.

Last edited:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Kaep

Bad QB? Okay....

You could have said the same things about him in his first year at Cal too. But guess what. He improved despite being on a lousy team.

And saying, "like a first overall pick" is nonsense. Being a first round pick does not come with set criteria. Who should he be? Alex Smith? Sam Bradford?

Btw you have me by a few years. I remember Haden and Harris but I was around 6-10 in that era.

Your reply to Jrry is off. Kaepernick was very system reliant and that new system delayed how long it took for teams to figure out what he couldn't do. It was the same with Mike Vick. In the end Kaepernick is not a good QB, he hasn't been for three years or more.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
First of all, Kaepernick is done in the league.
Didn't Kaep just lead his team past ours? Couple of gutsy 4th quarter drives? 2 point conversion? Half the game is heart...the other half is talent.

You could have said the same things about him in his first year at Cal too. But guess what. He improved despite being on a lousy team.

And saying, "like a first overall pick" is nonsense. Being a first round pick does not come with set criteria. Who should he be? Alex Smith? Sam Bradford?
There are expectations with being the first player drafted. In fact, for all 1st rounders, it is assumed that they will be all pro players....Not just starters...I actually think Sam & Alex are pretty damn good players.

I get we're Ram fans...we hate the 9ers...I hated Joe Montana too..But guess what, he was pretty good player. When players get worse, there is cause for concern..he should improve game to game...since the NO game, Goff has gotten worse...considerably. Oh yeah, and in his 3rd system in 3 years, the terrible Kaep has gotten better...imagine that?

Scirca

Rookie
Didn't Kaep just lead his team past ours? Couple of gutsy 4th quarter drives? 2 point conversion? Half the game is heart...the other half is talent.

There are expectations with being the first player drafted. In fact, for all 1st rounders, it is assumed that they will be all pro players....Not just starters...I actually think Sam & Alex are pretty damn good players.

I get we're Ram fans...we hate the 9ers...I hated Joe Montana too..But guess what, he was pretty good player. When players get worse, there is cause for concern..he should improve game to game...since the NO game, Goff has gotten worse...considerably. Oh yeah, and in his 3rd system in 3 years, the terrible Kaep has gotten better...imagine that?

When you type, do you read what you type? Im being genuinely curious, because some of the things you say on this site... are questionable at best.

Badfinger

RamStalk Refugee
Name
-
Kap has gotten better? When did this happen? He couldn't beat out Blaine fukin Gabbert for most of the season, and that's in an offense designed to play to his strengths. Meanwhile, Goff is surrounded by guys who are not only not very good, but who are also clearly mailing it in. And in your venerable wisdom you say Goff is a bust, and Kap is good, and getting better??? Maybe you've watched TOO MUCH football...

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Kaep

Bad QB? Okay....

And RGIII had one of the best rookie seasons of all time. Nobody cares anymore. Kaepernick hasn't been a starting caliber QB in years. And many people, including myself, were calling him out even when he was at his best and expressing doubt about his long-term potential.

He's a bad QB. He doesn't have the mental acuity needed to be even an average starter in this league. I still remember when we made that huge mistake a year ago against the 49ers. We blitzed Jenkins but our safety wasn't there to cover Torrey Smith. It left Torrey Smith completely uncovered. Smith did everything in his power to get Kaepernick's attention, and Kaepernick completely missed it. All Kaepernick had to do was scan the field before the snap, recognize the CB blitz, recognize our mistake, and call an audible to throw a quick screen to Smith. Smith might have taken it the distance.

Kaepernick didn't. That's why he'll never be even an average QB in this league. He can't read defenses. He can't anticipate what a defense is going to do. He's a "see it throw it" QB.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
He's a "see it throw it" QB.
Yet, in 5:03, he directed 2 drives in the 4th quarter that led to 15 points and a win. He's been to 3 NFC Championship games. Yep...looks terrible to.... no one.
When you type, do you read what you type? Im being genuinely curious, because some of the things you say on this site... are questionable at best.
I'll answer you genuinely serious then, of course...I also read what everyone else types too...This was a Goff thread...and all of a sudden, people mentioned a guy that's been through 3 OC's in the last 3 years like he's garbage...And OUR QB threw for 20 yards or so in the second half against one of the worst defenses in the league.

Kap has gotten better? When did this happen? He couldn't beat out Blaine fukin Gabbert for most of the season, and that's in an offense designed to play to his strengths. Meanwhile, Goff is surrounded by guys who are not only not very good, but who are also clearly mailing it in. And in your venerable wisdom you say Goff is a bust, and Kap is good, and getting better??? Maybe you've watched TOO MUCH football...
he's played 10 games this year...check his stats from game to game...he's gotten BETTER. That offense he's in is very basic and not really designed to exploit professional defenses...yet he's been somewhat effective. I'd like to see how many think SF has more talent on offense than us?
I didn't call Goff a bust. I said he doesn't have much talent. Not much arm strength...His best attributes are his feet. I've always liked his feet. All his other skills point to a lower round talent type player...

Curious...now that I've been replying to comments for days about this...I'd like to know what the hell Goff has done to make anyone think he's going to be better than what we've seen over 5 games? Better weapons? Offseason work? Arm talent is arm talent. Reminds me of a dome player. He doesn't seem to play well in the elements. That is, his throws get worse, the colder it gets...

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yet, in 5:03, he directed 2 drives in the 4th quarter that led to 15 points and a win. He's been to 3 NFC Championship games. Yep...looks terrible to.... no one.

Against our defense. They've allowed that to happen multiple times this year even before they gave up. It's kind of weird how hard you cling to that to show that a guy who is considered one of the worst starting QBs in the NFL isn't terrible.

Mark Sanchez has started as many AFC Championship games as Kaepernick has NFC Championship games. Mark Sanchez, like Kaepernick, is still a terrible QB.

Looks "terrible" to no one? He was benched for BLAINE GABBERT. Look at the incredible records he's setting:
http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/...ical-low-gets-benched-in-loss-to-bears-120416

I'll say again, looks "terrible" to no one?
http://nypost.com/2016/10/17/bills-pile-on-terrible-colin-kaepernick-hes-done/
http://www.dailywire.com/news/11327/curse-castro-colin-kaepernicks-james-barrett
http://ninerswire.usatoday.com/2016/12/04/colin-kaepernick-benched-in-terrible-outing-against-bears/

Odd, that's a word often used to describe his play. Continue making excuses for Kaepernick being a terrible QB. I think you might be the last guy left on his bandwagon.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Against our defense. They've allowed that to happen multiple times this year even before they gave up. It's kind of weird how hard you cling to that to show that a guy who is considered one of the worst starting QBs in the NFL isn't terrible.
He did have his best game against us...but he's hardly been the worst QB in the league during his time as a starter.
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/sfo/2016.htm
I'm not saying he's the answer...the solution...or even a starter....I'm saying he's not terrible...As evidenced by his late game heroics last week...

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin

Now your just reaching for the sake of an argument. Your comparing a rookie qb with horrible coaching and little to no help from a meager wr corps to a QB whose been in the league.

To further my point your comparing a rookie going through growing pains with an established veteran. . An established veteran who has NOTICIBLY gotten worse year over year game over game and rarely shows the talent he originally showed because good COACHING and solid schemes masked his weakness.

You are just being ridiculous at this point we get it you don't like Goff but atleast if your going to argue/make comparison use logic and reasoning not just your blind hatred for a rookie you didn't want.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He did have his best game against us...but he's hardly been the worst QB in the league during his time as a starter.
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/sfo/2016.htm
I'm not saying he's the answer...the solution...or even a starter....I'm saying he's not terrible...As evidenced by his late game heroics last week...

Terrible is relative. But I'll just compromise with you. No, he's not terrible. That's hyperbole to some extent. He's simply a player you don't want starting.