About Goff from a 49er fan...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Varg6

Starter
Name
Jake
I think a lot of the crazy talk comes from being consistent losers every year. It's making us all a little crazy, so when we don't see significant progress, it's an all too familiar feeling to equate that to more losing seasons. The reality is, we're getting a new head coach, and maybe even a new GM. There's a decent chance things could significantly change next year for the better (since there's no where else to go but up). Regardless, I think there's also frustration in the idea that if we do suck next year, it can be attributed to a HC implementing his new system, and therefore needs at least another year to prove himself. How much more time do we need to spend to see a good product on the field? I think that mindset--at least for me, I don't wanna speak for all Rams fans--makes us all a bit on edge.

I agree with you on Goff. I think he's got some great attributes that you can't necessarily reach, one of which is resilience.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Goff gets a second rookie year next year - as do all of our young players learning a completely new offense and probably a brand new defense as well.

It may be year 3 before we get a fair sense of who he is as a player - same with a lot of these guys - especially on offense.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
I think a lot of the crazy talk comes from being consistent losers every year. It's making us all a little crazy, so when we don't see significant progress, it's an all too familiar feeling to equate that to more losing seasons. The reality is, we're getting a new head coach, and maybe even a new GM. There's a decent chance things could significantly change next year for the better (since there's no where else to go but up). Regardless, I think there's also frustration in the idea that if we do suck next year, it can be attributed to a HC implementing his new system, and therefore needs at least another year to prove himself. How much more time do we need to spend to see a good product on the field? I think that mindset--at least for me, I don't wanna speak for all Rams fans--makes us all a bit on edge.

I agree with you on Goff. I think he's got some great attributes that you can't necessarily reach, one of which is resilience.

Bradford had "attributes" as well and look at how he turned out. Even this season he had many games with completions in the 70% range and yet he still couldn't effectively lead his team to key wins. He had the stats, but he still didn't elevate the offense to any meaningful degree far too often. He has the throws and size, just like Goff but here he stands today still stuck at mediocre.

I think there's waaaaay too much whistling past the grave yard regarding this teams immediate future, but time will tell.......I'm just not optimistic. This bunch more closely resembles a bunch of young individuals, some with flashes of talent, while many others clearly have not lived up to expectation. What this bunch isn't, is a T.E.A.M. When Fisher continuously repeated the same mantra week after week that "this was a good team", he clearly was either delusional or in denial......5 years of hype, hope and disappointment is more than sufficient evidence to the contrary......like it or not, agree or no, but as the Tuna says; "you are who your record says you are." And this teams record over the past 10 years is at the bottom of the NFL barrel and that's a fact.....even the Browns have a better record over this same period.

Scirca

Rookie
Interesting take:
Goff balls wobble....Yeah..I won't go there...Lets just say, he's having difficulty in the poor weather...gripping the ball...That's what it looks like...The ball is also not traveling with much velocity. That's a bigger problem. Worst problem of all, his balls are inaccurate...and mostly late/under thrown....Don't know how many rookies you've watched...Probably a bunch, like me...But I'll tell you, these concerns don not go away with an offseason. Sometimes, guys get worse...And it's not QB hits, poor players around him, poor coaching...although those do effect play...But it can be as simple as the guy doesn't have it...
As far as ANYONE can tell, Goff doesn't HAVE IT. No amount of praying, hoping, claiming YOU KNOW something...nothing..can make a guy that DOESN'T HAVE IT INTO SOMEONE THAT DOES HAVE IT. FEEL ME?!
This is also pure speculation...cause in my eyes...the one thing that helps a poor offensive team is a scrambling/running QB....Dak beat the Vikings, didn't he? Wentz can't be the worst QB....I've been watching the absolute WORST QB for the last 16 weeks...

When you feel that way, any slight positive thing he does will get swept under the rug. He is NOT as inaccurate as you and the media try to portray him to be. Carson Wentz is that kind of inaccurate you portray Goff to be.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
This bunch more closely resembles a bunch of young individuals, some with flashes of talent, while many others clearly have not lived up to expectation. What this bunch isn't, is a T.E.A.M.

Exactly!!!

What we need is a coaching staff that can get them to play as a unit. This applies specifically to the O-line. In the past we were often struck with the injury bug. This season it hasn't been bad enough to be used as an excuse.

The disaster this team has become can be totally blamed on the coaching staff. The talent, for the most part, is there. But they were never properly coached to be cohesive and unified in their play. There is no other explanation for the continual boneheaded penalties and missed assignments.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I do not get some of the hate this kid receives from Rams fans. You see, I experienced Alex Smith, who threw ONE TD to ELEVEN interceptions his rookie season.

You guys think the sky is falling with Goff, imagine having non-functional Alex Smith. Man... Goff showed some skill yesterday. Skill in the pocket, and he was able to throw a few solid medium ranged passes. He's a rookie. There's no way around the growing pains of that. But my goodness he is miles beyond some other rookie QBs.

I think his future is bright. That's my two sense. Hopefully you guys won't be so hard on him given that he's just learning. He wasn't even in anything remotely resembling a pro offense in college. Give him time.

I agree. Anyone that doesn't see potential in Goff is unrealistic, pessimistic and impatient. Goff has a lot of very nice traits to work with. Few good QBs instantly start off great. Peyton Manning's first season was ridiculously bad. Give Goff some decent time to throw, receivers that can get open and catch, and a good offensive scheme and these Debbie downers would be ecstatic with Goff right now. I like what I see so far.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
He's looking bad....My main gripe, he looks so weak in the poor weather...And 54 degrees isn't bad for anywhere else but LA...
He's very inaccurate...
Looks at the rush now...no way he's completing a pass with pressure on him, late in the game.
He's kinda slow...I like scramblers....
Yeah, people play the "eye tole ewe sew" game...Because Wentz looks like a stud...
I could care less about picks...I care about yards...move the damn ball kid! I also care about durability...and smarts...and...see a bunch of stuff.
I've seen Jim Everett, Pat Haden, Vince Ferragamo, Dieter Brock...James Harris, Ron Jawarskii....a bunch...Goff is looking a little like Jeff Rutledge....

I think that you put way too much into a very small sample size on a bad scheme with subparagraph talent around it. Has there been a moment where Goff was able to get confident and trust his teammates? A moment for him to get into a rhythm like a horrible Kaepernick did against the Rams. Everything with Goff is, and should be one step at a time. He played a spread system his whole life and he comes to a bad situation in L.A. I see some of the same traits that I liked about him in college. Is he a future great? Who knows at this point, but I don't think the book on what he can become should be closed either.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
When you feel that way, any slight positive thing he does will get swept under the rug. He is NOT as inaccurate as you and the media try to portray him to be. Carson Wentz is that kind of inaccurate you portray Goff to be.
Oh yeah?
http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/passing

53.5%, 5 yards per attempt.

Horribly inaccurate would be a more precise portrayal....IMO

Oh, and Wentz is at 63%, 6 ypa...in around triple the same amount of throws...yeah, his team has had drop issues too...so save it.

I think that you put way too much into a very small sample size on a bad scheme with subparagraph talent around it. Has there been a moment where Goff was able to get confident and trust his teammates? A moment for him to get into a rhythm like a horrible Kaepernick did against the Rams. Everything with Goff is, and should be one step at a time. He played a spread system his whole life and he comes to a bad situation in L.A. I see some of the same traits that I liked about him in college. Is he a future great? Who knows at this point, but I don't think the book on what he can become should be closed either.
Hmmmm....put way too much...Not really....5 games is really a lot in the NFL...Talent seeps through...Easy to pick up...Maybe he does get better...I see too much scared of the game type play...inaccuracy...and like I said, the overall weakness...Guy just doesn't look football ready. And plays like it...
Horrible Kaep...wow...One of the most dominant games by a QB I've ever seen was Kaep against Green Bay a couple years ago...Playoff games mean a lot to me...and what he did that day, 300 passing, 100 rushing in the snow....Dude isn't horrible...and I hate the 9ers more than most.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My problem with the Goff pick is that I knew this TEAM wasn't ready to select a QB number 1 overall. Then you trade up and you take a guy that never took snaps under center never called plays in a huddle never made line calls at the line of scrimmage. To me you don't take a project QB number 1 over all and you trade up to do it. He looks exactly the same as he did in preseason interceptions and fumbles poor accuracy and splash plays he makes 2 throws a game that's about it. Every time he runs I'm afraid he go fumble and when he throws I'm afraid it's an interception. Goff isn't in the easiest of situation cause this team wasn't ready for this type of QB. We should have kept our picks found a safety and cb and drafted lineman instead of all the receivers.

Scirca

Rookie
Oh yeah?

Oh, and Wentz is at 63%, 6 ypa...in around triple the same amount of throws...yeah, his team has had drop issues too...so save it.

Hmmmm....put way too much...Not really....5 games is really a lot in the NFL...Talent seeps through...Easy to pick up...Maybe he does get better...I see too much scared of the game type play...inaccuracy...and like I said, the overall weakness...Guy just doesn't look football ready. And plays like it...
Horrible Kaep...wow...One of the most dominant games by a QB I've ever seen was Kaep against Green Bay a couple years ago...Playoff games mean a lot to me...and what he did that day, 300 passing, 100 rushing in the snow....Dude isn't horrible...and I hate the 9ers more than most.

Lol watch eagle games, Carson Wentz, anything beyond 10 yards+, has horrible accuracy, that percent is a lie because of Doug Pederson scheme which is an Andy Reid type system. I'm done arguing with you. I've watched every single Wentz game, I know what I'm talking about. Also Wentz decision making is super suspect. I wouldn't trust that dude with the ball at all. Before you go pointing out Goff's game ending interception, that interception was solely on Brian Quick who ran a horrible lazy route and quit on the route.

Also there are games where Carson Wentz lost them the game. The Ravens game, Cowboys game, Giants game, Seahawks game(he looked like he was in over his head). The cowboys game was the game that told me the most about him.

Last edited:

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
Okay, I get all that...I'm talking about his overall play...when he DOES have time...When he does look thru his progressions...and when he does stare down his targets. How he steps up in the pocket...what he does when pressures on him....how his feet move...how many passes he gets batted...everything, cause that's what I do when I watch a game...especially when there are no playoff implications. He throws a very weak ball, he's not always accurate, and it seems that HE'S choosing to check it down. I get the wide receivers drops...Look around...watch today...If Big Bens receivers drop the ball, watch what happens. Same with Flaccos...

I'm going to watch the game...really for the first time later today...I just finished watching the Atlanta game...Dude isn't a #1 pick...Wentz was...so was Dak...Maybe Cook was...

1st this arm chair qb stuff is crap. By watching TV you have no way of knowing what's going through this rookies head. You have no idea of his trust or lack of trust in this line or we corps. Further you have no idea what the playcall/scheeme/or hot routes are, or for that matter how his qb coach/oc is demanding he handle it.

Furthermore to compare goff with big benefits or flaco is just a tiny bit ridiculous.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Lol watch eagle games, Carson Wentz, anything beyond 10 yards+, has horrible accuracy, that percent is a lie because of Doug Pederson scheme which is an Andy Reid type system. I'm done arguing with you. I've watched every single Wentz game, I know what I'm talking about.
you saw the stats...64%....for the season....6 ypa...14 tds & 14 ints...that's Wentz' season. You know what you're talking about? Ummm-hmmmm. Wentz decision making is suspect? really? Just won a game without his best stuff...moving the chains...curious, how'd we get on Wentz in a Goff thread? Most plays can be attributed to every player involved to varying degrees...That is, a lil on Goff, a little on Quick, and a lil for the great defensive play. You will admit it was a great read by the defender...Who happened to read Goff's eyes...straight to Quick's lazy route...If we're jumping on guys for being lazy, you better get ready to jump on 40 guys in blue and gold.

1st this arm chair qb stuff is crap. By watching TV you have no way of knowing what's going through this rookies head. You have no idea of his trust or lack of trust in this line or we corps. Further you have no idea what the playcall/scheme/or hot routes are, or for that matter how his qb coach/oc is demanding he handle it.

Furthermore to compare goff with big benefits or flaco is just a tiny bit ridiculous.
By watching TV you can get a lot on body language...Like, when a guy gets sacked on 3rd down and NEVER looks past the rush...when a guys head NEVER looks on the opposite side of the field...When a guy goes down and is only grabbed by his arm...It's obvious he has a lack of trust...He doesn't have to say, "hey champ, I don't trust these guys up front." At one time, Flacco & Big Benefits Rothlisberger were rookies once...and started...and went pretty far in the playoffs if I remember correctly. But my point being....They deal with drops....All QB's do....what do some of the greats do after is what I wanted to convey. And watch other young QB's that do the same...Drops don't effect the overall QB play of good ones...It just seems to hold back the average or weaker QB's.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Oh yeah?

Good lord man. Do you believe in a single player on this team? Like literally is there a guy that you think is actually good?

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Some of y'all that's defending Goff are the same ones talking about start Benny sit Gurley, and I just don't get it. You want to sit a guy that gets touched in the backfield more than any running back and yet you make excuses for Goff about the poor line and receivers dropping balls. That's what you call a double standard if Gurley is getting judged by the ineptness of those around him then why not Goff as well. This game is about wins and losses. Look at Jeff Fisher he won a lot of games but all people talk about is the losses. You can't dispute the fact that Goff hasn't done anything to elevate this team like so many was saying when they wanted keenum benched. Do I believe Goff gets better yes I do do I believe he will be special no I don't but like I said you don't need special to win. As of right Now what the evidence and his play suggest is that he has a WHOLE lot of work to do. You can keep thumps down my reply because an honest assessment of his play is harder to agree with when it's warranted. He might have potential but so did every QB that got drafted I'm talking about his on field play this year not 5 yrs down the line

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
you saw the stats...64%....for the season....6 ypa...14 tds & 14 ints...that's Wentz' season. You know what you're talking about? Ummm-hmmmm. Wentz decision making is suspect? really? Just won a game without his best stuff...moving the chains...curious, how'd we get on Wentz in a Goff thread? Most plays can be attributed to every player involved to varying degrees...That is, a lil on Goff, a little on Quick, and a lil for the great defensive play. You will admit it was a great read by the defender...Who happened to read Goff's eyes...straight to Quick's lazy route...If we're jumping on guys for being lazy, you better get ready to jump on 40 guys in blue and gold.

By watching TV you can get a lot on body language...Like, when a guy gets sacked on 3rd down and NEVER looks past the rush...when a guys head NEVER looks on the opposite side of the field...When a guy goes down and is only grabbed by his arm...It's obvious he has a lack of trust...He doesn't have to say, "hey champ, I don't trust these guys up front." At one time, Flacco & Big Benefits Rothlisberger were rookies once...and started...and went pretty far in the playoffs if I remember correctly. But my point being....They deal with drops....All QB's do....what do some of the greats do after is what I wanted to convey. And watch other young QB's that do the same...Drops don't effect the overall QB play of good ones...It just seems to hold back the average or weaker QB's.

Again by watching TV you can only assume you truley only see what YOU wanna see. I clearly see your hatred of a rookie thrust into a crap o line a wr Corp of 3s a star running back who isn't helping the situation at all and a oc who has no clue what he's doing.

Personally. I think you need to relax on goff and look at the who situation. Again at the end of your comment you are talking situations that have the peice in place with an offense in place with our situation that's a hit mess at best for Christ sake.

Last edited:

…..

Legend
To keep it short....

I'm sticking with Goff. Its the rest of the team that has me worried.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
Oh and since he was brought up let's talk Alex Smith. Look what happened to him once he got an oline wr Corp and scheme thst fits him.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
download.jpg

Relax people. K?

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
I'm not going to make any judgement about Goff until he gets a new HC, new OC and QB coach. I don't think the current coaches know how to coach him. Plus he needs better receivers and an O-Line who can protect him. Right now it's complete chaos with this offense and he hasn't been given a fair chance to succeed because the offense is such a mess. I think we will see Goff's growth with a new coaching staff, and added talent around him in 2017.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Oh yeah?

Yes horrible Kaepernick. I don't care what he did against Green Bay in one game. The past three years he has not been good. See how that works? A guy can have great games and atrocious games and it doesn't mean he inescapable of improvement of regression. You are too short on Goffs leash IMO.