About Goff from a 49er fan...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

94niners

UDFA
I do not get some of the hate this kid receives from Rams fans. You see, I experienced Alex Smith, who threw ONE TD to ELEVEN interceptions his rookie season.

You guys think the sky is falling with Goff, imagine having non-functional Alex Smith. Man... Goff showed some skill yesterday. Skill in the pocket, and he was able to throw a few solid medium ranged passes. He's a rookie. There's no way around the growing pains of that. But my goodness he is miles beyond some other rookie QBs.

I think his future is bright. That's my two sense. Hopefully you guys won't be so hard on him given that he's just learning. He wasn't even in anything remotely resembling a pro offense in college. Give him time.

tempests

Hall of Fame
I haven't seen anything but mild criticism on this site. When it comes to the abuse you guys gave Alex Smith, it's not even close.

Rams have problems all over, but their no 1 overall pick has to hold up his end too.

Ram65

Legend
I do not get some of the hate this kid receives from Rams fans. You see, I experienced Alex Smith, who threw ONE TD to ELEVEN interceptions his rookie season.

You guys think the sky is falling with Goff, imagine having non-functional Alex Smith. Man... Goff showed some skill yesterday. Skill in the pocket, and he was able to throw a few solid medium ranged passes. He's a rookie. There's no way around the growing pains of that. But my goodness he is miles beyond some other rookie QBs.

I think his future is bright. That's my two sense. Hopefully you guys won't be so hard on him given that he's just learning. He wasn't even in anything remotely resembling a pro offense in college. Give him time.

Nice of you to post your opinion on Goff here at the ROD. I've been reading the discussions on Goff, the Ram's offense and coordinator. Also, there is the Wentz debate which will always draw comparisons between Goff and Wentz. I though Goff showed skills in pocket as yesterday too. Goff will work to get better and needs experience.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member

Thanks for stopping by and your kind words about Jared. Look forward to him growing as a QB and us finally putting some talent around him. Best of luck this off season to your team.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
I haven't seen anything but mild criticism on this site. When it comes to the abuse you guys gave Alex Smith, it's not even close.

Rams have problems all over, but their no 1 overall pick has to hold up his end too.
Calling him a bust after 6 starts and the names he gets called and the adjectives used to describe his skill set. There are absolutely some treating him like Smith was treated and it's just going to get worse. Some people can't see the positive they'd rather play the I told you so game after claiming somebody would be bad and they can't go back on that.

Psycho_X

Legend
He wasn't even in anything remotely resembling a pro offense in college.

And he still isn't so it's hard for him to grow still. But thanks for stopping by! Always good to see opinions from opposing fans who don't just want to troll.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

Trust me Goff is getting pounded on some boards and has been even BEFORE he stepped on the field.

There are a lot, and I mean A LOT, of shitty attitudes on the internet and many of them find their way to fan message boards.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I honestly don't know what we have in Goff. Some defend him, some criticize him. I do believe the criticism is unfair because of how bad things are around him. I don't see any quarterback performing with that. Just take a look at Quick's lazy route to end the game. The game on the line and he couldn't have the mental toughness to want the ball.

But so far Goff hasn't shown anything that screams potential greatness. But again, how could anyone? All we can do is discount this year's body of work due to the situation and start over next year. Pretty much like he's a rookie again with no experience.

On another note, if Gurley did not have a spectacular rookie season, what would our opinion be on him this year? Think about that for a minute. Would we be considering our running back options next season? Another example of just how bad things have been. So we do have that hope that Goff can be all we hoped for with a new coach and system.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Oldschool-- "Best of luck this offseason to your team". Did you bump your head? You do understand he's a 48er fan?

It was nice of 94 to post that here.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Trust me Goff is getting pounded on some boards and has been even BEFORE he stepped on the field.

There are a lot, and I mean A LOT, of crappy attitudes on the internet and many of them find their way to fan message boards.

Unfortunately a good chunk of these attitudes found their way to ROD too. The game day thread yesterday got me close to cancelling my ROD membership. Goffs a bust, the Rams never should have come back to LA, bullshit. Made me sick as a Rams fan. Hopefully these types work their way out of our forum, because it's ending up like all of those other "trash talk" forums.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
He's looking bad....My main gripe, he looks so weak in the poor weather...And 54 degrees isn't bad for anywhere else but LA...
He's very inaccurate...
Looks at the rush now...no way he's completing a pass with pressure on him, late in the game.
He's kinda slow...I like scramblers....
Yeah, people play the "eye tole ewe sew" game...Because Wentz looks like a stud...
I could care less about picks...I care about yards...move the damn ball kid! I also care about durability...and smarts...and...see a bunch of stuff.
I've seen Jim Everett, Pat Haden, Vince Ferragamo, Dieter Brock...James Harris, Ron Jawarskii....a bunch...Goff is looking a little like Jeff Rutledge....

Scirca

Rookie
He's looking bad....My main gripe, he looks so weak in the poor weather...And 54 degrees isn't bad for anywhere else but LA...
He's very inaccurate...
Looks at the rush now...no way he's completing a pass with pressure on him, late in the game.
He's kinda slow...I like scramblers....
Yeah, people play the "eye tole ewe sew" game...Because Wentz looks like a stud...
I could care less about picks...I care about yards...move the damn ball kid! I also care about durability...and smarts...and...see a bunch of stuff.
I've seen Jim Everett, Pat Haden, Vince Ferragamo, Dieter Brock...James Harris, Ron Jawarskii....a bunch...Goff is looking a little like Jeff Rutledge....

He can't get yards if the wide receivers don't run deep. (Rob Buras play calling). He can't make the wide receivers catch his balls. He can only try to be as accurate as possible which isn't possible, because the offensive line doesn't give him enough time.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
He can't get yards if the wide receivers don't run deep. (Rob Buras play calling). He can't make the wide receivers catch his balls. He can only try to be as accurate as possible which isn't possible, because the offensive line doesn't give him enough time.
Okay, I get all that...I'm talking about his overall play...when he DOES have time...When he does look thru his progressions...and when he does stare down his targets. How he steps up in the pocket...what he does when pressures on him....how his feet move...how many passes he gets batted...everything, cause that's what I do when I watch a game...especially when there are no playoff implications. He throws a very weak ball, he's not always accurate, and it seems that HE'S choosing to check it down. I get the wide receivers drops...Look around...watch today...If Big Bens receivers drop the ball, watch what happens. Same with Flaccos...

I'm going to watch the game...really for the first time later today...I just finished watching the Atlanta game...Dude isn't a #1 pick...Wentz was...so was Dak...Maybe Cook was...

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Appreciate the gesture and I agree. Fans are quick to grab their torches and pitchforks, but on this site probably not as quick to do so. I see the talent too, the kid's gonna be much better than everyone thinks.

It's going to make it all the sweeter when he lights this league on fire under some real offensive coaching. Thanks for the kind words and good luck to you guys in your offseason QB search.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Highly successful college players; Austin, Gurley, and Goff all struggling in the NFL?

Common denominator? The offensive playbook.

Until that changes, I'm not labelling anyone anything.

Scirca

Rookie
Okay, I get all that...I'm talking about his overall play...when he DOES have time...When he does look thru his progressions...and when he does stare down his targets. How he steps up in the pocket...what he does when pressures on him....how his feet move...how many passes he gets batted...everything, cause that's what I do when I watch a game...especially when there are no playoff implications. He throws a very weak ball, he's not always accurate, and it seems that HE'S choosing to check it down. I get the wide receivers drops...Look around...watch today...If Big Bens receivers drop the ball, watch what happens. Same with Flaccos...

I'm going to watch the game...really for the first time later today...I just finished watching the Atlanta game...Dude isn't a #1 pick...Wentz was...so was Dak...Maybe Cook was...

Have you heard the term, you have to "let your first read develop"; It is why it looks like he's locked on to one receiver. He goes through progression. That's something that is evident on film. And you're right he has been throwing balls with wobble, and I looked up why do footballs wobble and that has to do with him gripping the ball too hard. (I think he's doing that to prevent fumbles--- not trusting his offensive line.)

Carson Wentz would be playing worse behind this offensive line. And Dak Prescott would just be bad. Watch the Vikings game (Prescott), he was garbage against pressure. And he has a fumble problem which is weird because he has all the time in the world in the pocket. Post Week 3, Wentz has been the worst quarterback in the NFL.

Ram65

Legend
But so far Goff hasn't shown anything that screams potential greatness. But again, how could anyone? All we can do is discount this year's body of work due to the situation and start over next year. Pretty much like he's a rookie again with no experience.

I like your post yet, I do think he is learning on the job. He can take these games to learn to cut down on mistakes. A new offense should put him in a better place. An improved cast will help too. Let's see if he can come in around 225-230 Lbs and be stronger.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Goff has NOT been set up to succeed. He has been set up to fail. The unprofessional play calling and design. Lack of weapons that can get separation and win routes ... not to mention very suspect hands. The total disintegration of the OL up front. No running game and a Defense that seems to need a 45 point offensive output to win games. Young rookie, new city ... everything about this year has gone against him.

Naw .... I don't put the blame on him at all. and I have seen enough positives to believe if he is surrounded by a better supporting cast, he will succeed.

RedRam

Pro Bowler

He still isn't in a pro offense!

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Interesting take:
Goff balls wobble....Yeah..I won't go there...Lets just say, he's having difficulty in the poor weather...gripping the ball...That's what it looks like...The ball is also not traveling with much velocity. That's a bigger problem. Worst problem of all, his balls are inaccurate...and mostly late/under thrown....Don't know how many rookies you've watched...Probably a bunch, like me...But I'll tell you, these concerns don not go away with an offseason. Sometimes, guys get worse...And it's not QB hits, poor players around him, poor coaching...although those do effect play...But it can be as simple as the guy doesn't have it...
As far as ANYONE can tell, Goff doesn't HAVE IT. No amount of praying, hoping, claiming YOU KNOW something...nothing..can make a guy that DOESN'T HAVE IT INTO SOMEONE THAT DOES HAVE IT. FEEL ME?!
Carson Wentz would be playing worse behind this offensive line. And Dak Prescott would just be bad. Watch the Vikings game (Prescott), he was garbage against pressure. And he has a fumble problem which is weird because he has all the time in the world in the pocket. Post Week 3, Wentz has been the worst quarterback in the NFL.
This is also pure speculation...cause in my eyes...the one thing that helps a poor offensive team is a scrambling/running QB....Dak beat the Vikings, didn't he? Wentz can't be the worst QB....I've been watching the absolute WORST QB for the last 16 weeks...