Aaron Donald’s contract situation

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Obviously, AD is a game changer and wreaks havoc on opposing offenses and deserves to be paid. He is a rare talent and I hope he will be a Ram for life.

That said, if the Rams make him the highest paid defensive player, the Rams can't keep upping the contract to keep paying him more if someone later gets more. Hopefully something can be worked out so that both sides feels good about the contract but if the demands become unreasonable, we need to trade him to Cleveland for 2 first round picks.

Just joking, but seriously, a defensive tackle, even as good as AD, is not worth more than a good QB.

I hope that a deal is made primarily because we don't want the Rams to gain a bad reputation for not paying their stars on their second contract.

Is it possible that management wants to see what happens this year in their "all in season" before committing big dollars?

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Obviously, AD is a game changer and wreaks havoc on opposing offenses and deserves to be paid. He is a rare talent and I hope he will be a Ram for life.

That said, if the Rams make him the highest paid defensive player, the Rams can't keep upping the contract to keep paying him more if someone later gets more. Hopefully something can be worked out so that both sides feels good about the contract but if the demands become unreasonable, we need to trade him to Cleveland for 2 first round picks.

Just joking, but seriously, a defensive tackle, even as good as AD, is not worth more than a good QB.

I hope that a deal is made primarily because we don't want the Rams to gain a bad reputation for not paying their stars on their second contract.

Is it possible that management wants to see what happens this year in their "all in season" before committing big dollars?
If the Rams can't get him signed and they were offering something reasonable, they ought to post the whole contract online and say, "This is what we offered. It's not unfair. You can't blame us."

Last edited:

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Instead of getting inflammatory with Donald, we should be taking it out on Khalil Mack. We know his benchmark will determine Donald's numbers on a new deal.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Ugh, watching nfl live and Schefter said that the two sides aren't even close. No figures were thrown around although at the end $20m per year was bandied around as not qb money anymore.

Surely the rams aren't offering less than that?

Rainram

Starter
It’s weird these things take this long.

Months? Or years even? Really?

If I was negotiating for tens of millions of dollars, I’m pretty sure we could knock it out in an afternoon. Maybe...just maybe...I could stretch it out over a week.

But I have the kind of luck of getting run over by bus or struck by a bolt of lightning...not enough to kill me either...just enough so I could live with the misery of having lost millions of dollars..so I wouldn’t be fucking around in negotiations.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...revenue-star-players-are-asking-what-about-us

As NFL Continues to Rake in Revenue, Star Players Are Asking, 'What About Us?'
MIKE FREEMAN

3ad76eec12c52f3b6e88c9a894db6907_crop_exact.jpg

Phelan M. Ebenhack/Associated Press

Never have so many NFL stars seemed so unhappy.

At least, that's the belief among some NFL teams, who claim they've never seen so many prominent players involved in contract disputes.

In Pittsburgh, there's running back Le'Veon Bell, who could hold out well into training camp. Falcons receiver Julio Jones skipped a mandatory minicamp, and I've been told by numerous sources that he wants to be the highest-paid receiver in football.

In L.A., Rams defensive tackle Aaron Donald skipped OTAs and this week's mandatory minicamp. Seahawks safety Earl Thomas and Arizona running back David Johnson also were missing this week as they both pressed for new contracts. And though Giants star Odell Beckham Jr. did show up for camp this week, he likewise wants a new deal.

Finally, there's Aaron Rodgers. The star Packers quarterback appears headed for a contract extension before the season, but not without having voiced some concerns in the offseason over the direction of the organization.

Those seven players have a combined 28 Pro Bowls between them.

We've seen stars have contract disputes before. We've seen them want more money. What we've never seen is this many big names simultaneously wanting new deals.

"It's as if there's a desperation across the league," one high-profile agent wrote to Bleacher Report. "Players know the union sucks and are worried about the new CBA. Plus, coincidentally, a lot of really good guys have outplayed their deals."

While I differ on the agent's view of the union, a lot of players around the league do not. As such, they are growing increasingly more assertive in advocating for deals they feel are more in line with what they believe to be their true value.

As one Pro Bowl player told me, players are becoming more aware not only of their individual worth, but the fattening of the owners' wallets as well. And they're getting no help from a collective bargaining agreement many feel is outdated and doesn't account for the skyrocketing money owners are earning from the increasing values of their teams.

It isn't that players want to be paid more than the next guy at their position. It's that they want to be paid more than the next guy because that guy is getting his, and I need to get mine.

Good for them. They deserve every penny they get.

But we all better get used to this new reality, players and agents say. Missed minicamps and holdouts through training camp will become more frequent. It will be unusual for a player halfway through his deal not to want a new contract.

Why? It's simple: The money keeps growing.

Hell, who can blame them?

Consider Jones. He watched as his teammate, Matt Ryan, signed a five-year contract extension worth $150 million last month. If you're Jones, you're probably ecstatic to see your teammate make tons of cash. Cool, bro. Do you. Let's go for drinks later.

But, hey, what about me?

It may be the same scenario Bell faces in Pittsburgh. Teammate Antonio Brown signed a contract in February 2017 that made him the highest-paid receiver in football at $17 million per season.

As Sports Illustrated's Jonathan Jones noted, Jones is making an average of $11.475 million throughout the rest of his deal. That's almost $6 million less than Brown annually.

Brown is good, but he isn't $6-million-over-Jones good.

Jones, though, has a staggering three years left on his deal. If the Falcons redid his contract (and they will), it likely would be unprecedented in the history of the team.

Another motivating force behind the rash of contract squabbles in the NFL are the megadeals that have been handed out in the NBA in recent years.

Many NFL players and NBA players are close, and NFL players see the kind of money NBA players are making. Not the stars like Steph Curry, but mid-level players making tens of millions of dollars to be sixth and seventh men on rosters.

This does not go unnoticed by NFL players.

Last July, Bills receiver Sammy Watkins tweeted: "We gotta get paid more." He noted the NFL is the most-watched sport in the U.S., but NBA players "make way more."

When the NBA's salary cap jumped an unprecedented $24 million in 2016, Jeff Diamond of Sporting News recapped the reactions from NFL players.

Broncos receiver Emmanuel Sanders tweeted, "Looks like I chose the wrong sport."

Safety T.J. Ward said, "We getting peanuts compared to these NBA and MLB cats! Whoa."

Colts punter Pat McAfee tweeted: "Hey NFLPA. Let's chat with the folks from NBAPA ASAP."

None of this will change soon. The contract fights will continue. The holdouts will continue.

The battle for what makes the NFL run—cash—continues.

dang

Legend
Apples and Oranges - an NFL roster is 4x the number of players as NBA roster. I agree NFL players on average should see an increase in salary due to the shortness of many careers but I don't agree with the top 5% getting exponentially richer. I would rather see all rookies making the 53 getting $1M/yr rather than the starting QB increasing from $25M to $30M/yr.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
How many freaking millions does it take to make a person happy? Or does that even matter?
Or is about " You make this much so I have to have a % of that or I'm not happy"?

I live off a paltry 1600$ a month SSI retirement. Been doing that for 10 years without a raise. I can't even afford a nose bleed seat without charity. So sue me if I sound bitter.

nighttrain

Legend
How many freaking millions does it take to make a person happy? Or does that even matter?
Or is about " You make this much so I have to have a % of that or I'm not happy"?

I live off a paltry 1600$ a month SSI retirement. Been doing that for 10 years without a raise. I can't even afford a nose bleed seat without charity. So sue me if I sound bitter.
you are luckier that some of us, take care
train

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve

I think it's a matter of ego and the salary is the scoreboard. Matt Ryan gets a $150 million dollar deal not to mention the tens of millions he's already made. The next handful of generations of "Ryan" will never have to work unless they become careless with their money.

And yeah, you can't compare to the NBA when they have a roster of 12 not to mention 82 regular season games and potentially 28 post season games.

I know the NFL careers are short, but seriously, it's all relative. Where else can you work that will pay you $20 million plus per year? I'm almost at retirement age and I'm nowhere near earning even 1/4 of 20 million.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Broncos receiver Emmanuel Sanders tweeted, "Looks like I chose the wrong sport."

Safety T.J. Ward said, "We getting peanuts compared to these NBA and MLB cats! Whoa."

Colts punter Pat McAfee tweeted: "Hey NFLPA. Let's chat with the folks from NBAPA ASAP."

these guys are crying the nfl is trying to make them play 18 games. imagine if they had to play 80 games. or 150 games.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
I am fed up with this always got to be the highest paid player and once they get there if someone is paid more later they want more again. They can not ever be content with what they have and must be empty inside. Remember money can buy a lot of things but it can pay you happiness. Just think where would these player be if we all just stopped watching. Bottom line they are simply here for our amusement.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
I agree with the players. They should be paid a percentage of the revenue - if the revenue increases, their pay should increase. We watch for the players, not the owners. They shouldn't get ripped off just because they already get payed a lot.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree with the players. They should be paid a percentage of the revenue - if the revenue increases, their pay should increase. We watch for the players, not the owners. They shouldn't get ripped off just because they already get payed a lot.
Last study I saw had the NBA players getting half of the leagues revenue or $3 billion of $6 billion. The NFL for the same year had players getting $6 billion of $13 billion. Hardly something to cry about for the players.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
In fact here's a newer study, it's about how MLB has screwed their players.

https://deadspin.com/the-mlbpa-is-failing-its-players-1822305159

The NBA’s CBA requires that players receive between 49 and 51 percent of basketball-related income; in the NFL, players are supposed to receive between 47 and 48 percent of revenue. Baseball players’ salaries totaled more than 56 percent of revenue in 2002, when the luxury tax and revenue sharing guidelines were installed; that has cratered to less than 40 percent in the decade and a half since, as Nathaniel Grow noted at FanGraphs back in 2015.

Given what baseball has seen in the first free agency under the newly harsh luxury tax, that situation’s not going to get any better for players any time soon.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
Last study I saw had the NBA players getting half of the leagues revenue or $3 billion of $6 billion. The NFL for the same year had players getting $6 billion of $13 billion. Hardly something to cry about for the players.
I just did some research - NBA players get about 50% and NFL players get about 48%. Should they get 50%? I don't know, but I'm just saying if the pot increases, they should keep the same ratio and get more money as a result.

Status
Not open for further replies.