Aaron Donald’s contract situation

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DLux27

Rookie
I am not advocating for either side...But the truth is about Cousins is that he was highly sought after, and even then it was a rare contract in the NFL. All the other more common guys will never get that deal (never even have the chance at such a deal), so you pointed towards an outlier to prove your argument. Doesn't fly, in my opinion.

Actually my point was know your worth as a player and weigh the risk of taking a shorter term deal if the raises are more important than the perceived security of longer term deals, you were the one who brought up owners “could” make contracts guaranteed to which I responded with ultimately it’s up to the player to know his worth which Cousins exactly did and highly sought after free agents are on the market every year and if more players (outliers/highly sought after) took his route it would slowly become the norm but the ultimate point was to counter your statement that it doesn’t make sense for the owners to make contracts gauranteed because it goes against any business principle which ultimately led to them becoming owners. The players need to come prepared for CBA negotiations next time and know their worth. Pay attention and don’t nit pick statements to make yourself seem correct or as you like to say “fly” in your opinion.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The players sign the contract, if there gonna get all bent out of shape 3 years into a 6 year deal then don’t sign a 6 year deal. Oh wait what if they get injured, that’s why they sign the 6 year instead of doing 2 year deals which if they stayed healthy would lead to significant raises. So essentially the players want their cake (long term contracts) and eat it too (renegotiate halfway through). It’s just business when it comes down to it they can risk for shorter deals with more pay or go for security but it seems they want both that’s why I have no issue with teams applying tags and not renegotiating. They don’t have to sign on the bottom line..... They should weigh the risk/reward and make a decision.

They get “bent out of shape” because (according to the NFLPA) the average lifespan of an NFL player is 3.3 years. Yes, the upper echelon players get long term deals for security, but even they rarely ever get the full deal because owners can cut them (depending on the contract language) after only a couple of years. This is why I called the 6 year contract as fantasy land and the supposed compensation is irrelevant over the course of such a contract. The only compensation amount that really matters is the guaranteed money, which is often front loaded. The current contracts are deceptive, and the owners make the players dance to their tune.

Actually my point was know your worth as a player and weigh the risk of taking a shorter term deal if the raises are more important than the perceived security of longer term deals, you were the one who brought up owners “could” make contracts guaranteed to which I responded with ultimately it’s up to the player to know his worth which Cousins exactly did and highly sought after free agents are on the market every year and if more players (outliers/highly sought after) took his route it would slowly become the norm but the ultimate point was to counter your statement that it doesn’t make sense for the owners to make contracts gauranteed because it goes against any business principle which ultimately led to them becoming owners. The players need to come prepared for CBA negotiations next time and know their worth. Pay attention and don’t nit pick statements to make yourself seem correct or as you like to say “fly” in your opinion.

I called this an outlier precisely because it’s ridiculous that all 1,696 players on active rosters would be able to withstand the pressure holding out like Cousins did for a fully guaranteed contract. The vast majority are worried about not getting that next contract at all, with cheap rookies flooding the market every year. You talked generally about a player knowing his own worth in the beginning, and then downshifted in using premium player as the example of holding out for a gtd contract. My focus was generally about the 90% of NFL players who are not in the position that Cousins was in (good player playing in the most important position in the NFL).

1. All contracts in Major League Baseball are guaranteed, and yes, they used the same business principals in becoming MLB owners, as did NFL owners.

2. Yes, players need to come prepared for the next CBA negotiation.

3. I did pay attention and was really responding to your cavalier attitude about the players with a 3.3 year career window (on average), trying to make decisions in a system that is stacked against them. Very few players in the NFL right now, voted for that last CBA (2011), and many others will be out of the NFL before the next one is negotiated (2021). Yet, you mock them for "trying to have their cake and eat it too.." when trying to figure out how avoid crucial mistakes with these contractual decisions.

This the eaten cake:
According to a 2009 Sports Illustrated article, "78% of National Football League (NFL) players are either bankrupt or are under financial stress within two years of retirement.”

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd like to see the majority of players get raises. Not just the elite players and hard to find positions. Some guys are always going to get their payday and it'll take care of itself, but I'd like to see the owners raise the minimum wage in the NFL for the non-early round guys on their first contracts to make teams spread more of that money around.
Even the NFLPA doesn't want this, it doesn't drive their bottom line. Hell even in retirement Peyton Manning got more from the union than any other player, the guy that needed it the least received the biggest check from the union in retirement. Players may complain all they want but the unions actions tell you who they support.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
The Rams do have control of Aaron Donald as well. They also have some big time players to resign?
It all has to work in the cap.Getting rid of Robert Quinn’s & Ogletree’s contract was huge. The fact of Cooks vs Sammy’s contract as well.

Tru Johnson was one of the contracts that workout for the player making it to the franchise tag. Even look this year at Joyner ? How long does it take to know what you have in a player??

Aaron Donald has out played his contract for sure. The Rams can’t pay him back what he has earned as a player even if they wanted to really,, unless they mess up the franchise again. It is we cannot me!!! How that works with contracts is a tough call ?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The players sign the contract, if there gonna get all bent out of shape 3 years into a 6 year deal then don’t sign a 6 year deal.
Well that's part of it, the players don't have a choice. A first rounder gets a 4/5 year deal and franchise tag for year 6. They cant sign a 3 year deal, which is why they are allowed to re-negotiate after year 3. That is part of their deal.
I don't see where the NFL has this wrong.
MLB? Their players don't see big money until they have gone thru the service time protocol, arbitration etc. Takes several years to make the F-U money
NBA?? Serious? If you aren't a 1st round pick, you're not even in the league. Heck even if you are, unless top 15 you probably wash out after 1 contract
Guaranteed deals will kill the NFL. Players will be limited to 2 maybe 3 year deals and likely changing teams each FA period.
Case in point, for those arguing for guaranteed deals, was anyone upset that GRob didn't get his 5th year option?? Yikes

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

the current cba screwed the average player sideways. the stars always get the money but this cba took it away from the average player and rookies so the stars could make even more money. does the nflpa know what the fuck it is doing? the players that need it the most got screwed the most by it's dealings.

Flint

Pro Bowler
I’m all for players maximizing their earning while they’re able but do Donald and his people believe they can get qb money? The Rams have a qb to pay it would be bad business to give Donald qb money too. So what is AD’s end game, what will it take? The Rams claim they want to make him the highest paid defensive player ever but it’s reported that he wants player options instead of team options which means we would be doing this again when Mack or Bosa or whoever becomes the new highest paid player.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
Could they honestly let this guy go ?
I didn't believe it could ever happen but now I'm truly becoming scared

dang

Legend
Could they honestly let this guy go ?
I didn't believe it could ever happen but now I'm truly becoming scared
Hell yeah they could let him go. $22M for the next 4+ years can cover a lot of team salary. Plus they have the option of retaining him for 3 more years without a new contract. I want him to stay a Ram but the business side is always a reality check. I would like to see Aaron set for life with a great guaranteed $$$ amount but I am not interested in him waiting forever to make sure he is the highest paid defensive player for years to come.

dang

Legend
Or they could trade him to Cleveland for 2 1sts and 2 2nds and sign Suh for 2 more years at $15-16M per year.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
Hell yeah they could let him go. $22M for the next 4+ years can cover a lot of team salary. Plus they have the option of retaining him for 3 more years without a new contract. I want him to stay a Ram but the business side is always a reality check. I would like to see Aaron set for life with a great guaranteed $$$ amount but I am not interested in him waiting forever to make sure he is the highest paid defensive player for years to come.
I agree , I know it's a job and it's about making all you can but come on . He always seemed like more of a team guy than someone interested in being the top paid guy .
Why would anyone need more than 10 million a year? Just ridiculous but I would hate to lose him

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Frankly this is getting tiresome. Wanting to be paid the highest salary of any D player in NFL history is selfish and the opposite of "we not me." It may be blasphemy to some but at this point I would take some high draft picks for this player.

Yes, he has been vastly underpaid for the amount of effort he's put in over the seasons he's been a Ram, and yes, he deserves to be highly compensated for his hard work and skill. But not at the cost of losing many other good players because there's not enough money left to pay them under the salary cap.

Who's next to hold out to be the highest player ever at their position? Todd Gurley? Jared Goff? If someone thinks the salary cap will continue to go up at the rate it's been going, they haven't been paying attention to the drop in ratings the NFL has been experiencing.

Pay the man what the salary cap affords. If he turns it down, move on.
http://www.espn.com/blog/los-angele...-donald-wants-to-reset-the-market-for-non-qbs

Aaron Donald wants to reset the market for non-QBs
Lindsey Thiry/ESPN

i

AP Photo/Mark J. Terrill

The Los Angeles Rams and reigning NFL Defensive Player of the Year Aaron Donald, who is scheduled to earn $6.9 million in the final year of his rookie deal, remain in a contract dispute that dates to 2017.

Here are answers to a few key questions as negotiations continue ahead of training camp:

Why don't the Rams just "pay the man," as Marcus Peters said?

It's all about the salary cap. The Rams must maintain space under the cap for large contracts that loom in the not-so-distant future, including fourth-year pros Todd Gurley and Peters and third-year pro Jared Goff. The Rams made several moves that cleared cap space this offseason -- they'll have room for $41.5 million in 2019 and more than $120 million in 2020 -- but they must maintain space to sign other stars.

How much money does Donald want?

Donald, 27, wants to reset the market for non-quarterback players. Currently, the highest paid non-quarterback is Denver Broncos linebacker Von Miller, who is scheduled to make more than $19 million this season. Neither Donald nor the Rams have publicly discussed financial terms, but it is thought that Donald is seeking a deal that will pay him more than $20 million per season.

Didn't Donald hold out last year while seeking a new deal?

Yes. Going into his fourth season, Donald skipped most of the offseason program but reported to mandatory minicamp to avoid about $80,000 in fines. He did not participate in drills.

Donald then skipped training camp and reported to the practice facility a day before the opener -- without a new deal in place. The Rams activated Donald in Week 2. He finished the season with 11 sacks in 14 starts.

Will his holdout last that long this season?

It could, but that seems unlikely. Because Donald held out of training camp last year, he lost an accrued season toward unrestricted free agency, which requires four seasons. Therefore, if Donald does not report by Aug. 7 -- 30 days before the season opens -- he will lose another accrued season and would be a restricted free agent next winter.

How long do the Rams have Donald's rights?

If Donald reports to training camp by Aug. 7, he will become an unrestricted free agent after this season. However, whether he's an unrestricted or restricted free agent, the Rams have the option to franchise tag him for two years at below his market value and then another year at just over his current market value. The Rams basically hold the rights to Donald through the 2021 season.

Does Oakland Raiders defensive lineman Khalil Mack affect Donald?

Mack, the 2016 NFL Defensive Player of the Year, did not report to Raiders minicamp as he seeks a new deal entering the fifth season of his rookie contract. It has been speculated that Donald and Mack are paying close attention to each other's situations. The first to sign a deal will reset the market. The second to sign will likely up the ante to become the highest-paid defensive player in the league. But unlike Donald, Mack can hold out of training camp and still become an unrestricted free agent after the season.

Are the Rams concerned Donald's absence will affect the team's performance?

No. On the final day of minicamp, defensive coordinator Wade Phillips deadpanned: "He didn't come until later last year and did OK. I guess he fit in, in a 3-4, everybody was worried about that." The Rams know Donald is working out at his home in Pittsburgh and will be ready to contribute if he reports.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
"Neither Donald nor the Rams have publicly discussed financial terms, but it is thought that Donald is seeking a deal that will pay him more than $20 million per season."

We don't know what the hold up is and who is holding it up.
It's crazy though how media can just make sh!t up and position it as factual

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
"Neither Donald nor the Rams have publicly discussed financial terms, but it is thought that Donald is seeking a deal that will pay him more than $20 million per season."

We don't know what the hold up is and who is holding it up.
It's crazy though how media can just make sh!t up and position it as factual

Why is there a hold up at all unless what he's asking for is way out of range of what the Rams are willing to pay? Judging by the 14 million they're paying Suh, I'd say 18 to 20 million a year would be fair for Donald. I'm guessing what he's asking for is far more than that.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Why is there a hold up at all unless what he's asking for is way out of range of what the Rams are willing to pay? Judging by the 14 million they're paying Suh, I'd say 18 to 20 million a year would be fair for Donald. I'm guessing what he's asking for is far more than that.
Right, you're guessing.
Everyone is guessing but implying its Donald.
Its silly. They signed Suh for 14 mill for 1 year. They haven't re-signed anyone long term recently, and have lost some FA. Is it possible the Rams are offering him less than 18 mill?
I could see it going either way but until I know for sure what the real deal is, I wont jump to conclusions.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Right, you're guessing.
Everyone is guessing but implying its Donald.
Its silly. They signed Suh for 14 mill for 1 year. They haven't re-signed anyone long term recently, and have lost some FA. Is it possible the Rams are offering him less than 18 mill?
I could see it going either way but until I know for sure what the real deal is, I wont jump to conclusions.

Sure, we're all guessing, including journalists. That's why I wrote "I'm guessing." A pretty good guess is that the Rams made an offer but it was turned down. Why else haven't they signed a new contract?

During Aaron Donald's first three seasons the Rams were a combined 17-31. It surely wasn't his fault. He was the best player on the field and tried his hardest. The point is that while he's most likely headed to the HOF at the rate he's going, the worth of a DT has to be measured compared to what he will subtract from the salary cap and how that affects signing other players.

Hope AD signs at a reasonable rate but if he doesn't then all the best to him. The team comes before one individual player. There are certain teams, which I will not mention, that win season after season because they don't put up with this. I hope the Rams front office does the same.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sure, we're all guessing, including journalists. That's why I wrote "I'm guessing." A pretty good guess is that the Rams made an offer but it was turned down. Why else haven't they signed a new contract?

During Aaron Donald's first three seasons the Rams were a combined 17-31. It surely wasn't his fault. He was the best player on the field and tried his hardest. The point is that while he's most likely headed to the HOF at the rate he's going, the worth of a DT has to be measured compared to what he will subtract from the salary cap and how that affects signing other players.

Hope AD signs at a reasonable rate but if he doesn't then all the best to him. The team comes before one individual player. There are certain teams, which I will not mention, that win season after season because they don't put up with this. I hope the Rams front office does the same.
Sure, but one could also guess that Donald countered the Rams offer and they turned it down.
Cuts both ways
Fletcher Cox signed a 6 year 103 mill contract (17.1 per) with 63 mill guaranteed. The cap was 155 mill. So he took up 11% of the cap.
The 2018 cap is 177 mill and 11% equates to 19.5 mill per. So to think they can’t stretch an extra mill or two for a player far superior to Cox?
There's room to "pay the man" without killing the cap. Certainly hasn’t hurt the Eagles

Status
Not open for further replies.