Aaron Donald is signed, 6-years, $135 million, including $87 million guaranteed

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
I don't do superstition...so feel free. I live in light of facts...and if you think I want to see the Rams best defensive player hurt then you're smoking powerful stuff.

Also keep in mind I said we need to HOPE AND PRAY it doesn't happen. I do believe in prayer....very much so.
Got it. Your just keeping it real. Ain't nobody got time for that!!

pmil66

Starter
Name
pmil
The best defensive player in the NFL is now the highest paid defensive player in the NFL. All is well.

Last edited:

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't it been a common theory that the Rams was built only for this year? Well for those that still feel that way.... STICK IT UP YOUR ASS. Oh, and have a nice day.
So a little bit ago I was reading an article written by Dan Graziano of ESPN in which he applauded the Rams signing Donald to a six year extension. He also mentioned the signings of Gurley, Cooks, and Havenstein, and said he's confident the Rams will have no problem signing Goff and Peters.

But he finished the article that the Rams won't be able to sign their star players as their money will all be tied up on other players. He's half correct, as that money would be tied up with the star players whom he said they wouldn't be able to sign.

But here's the real kicker. He ended the article with saying that Donald's and other signings that the Rams are in a win now mode. He clarified it even more swing their opportunity they're creating to win the Super Bowl is this year and next year.

And what do I have to say about this? STICK IT IN YOUR ASS!

tempests

Hall of Fame
Aaron Donald combine notes from 2014

STRENGTHS
Quick off the snap. Natural leverage. Gets under pads and into gaps. Good foot athlete -- redirects well and can work the edges and loop and stunt. Flexible enough to zone drop in short area. Plays with awareness and consistently locates the ball. Closes hard and fast. Keeps working to the ball. Disruptive penetrating ability. Outstanding career production -- 63 TFL and 27.5 sacks the last three seasons. Tough and competitive. Team captain with terrific personal and football character.

WEAKNESSES
Marginal height and frame is nearly maxed out. Hands are more active than strong -- could play with more pop and power. Overpowered in the run game and ground up by double teams. Gets snared and controlled by bigger, longer blockers. Not a two-gap player. Has some tweener traits -- lacks ideal length and bend to play outside.

http://www.nfl.com/player/aarondonald/2543485/combine

I thought he'd be a stellar pass rusher from the start, but that it would take a couple years before he learned to play the run in the NFL. Fair to say Aaron has exceeded everyone's expectations.

Donald faced as many double and triple teams in college as Clowney, owing to the subpar supporting cast he had. But where that was used as an excuse to explain Clowney's drop in production, somehow Aaron's numbers went up.

Historically, Pitt doesn't produce many players worthy of going in the 1st round, but when they do (Mike Ditka, Tony Dorsett, Dan Marino, Chris Doleman, Larry Fitzgerald, Darrelle Revis, Aaron Donald) grab him.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I thought he'd be a stellar pass rusher from the start, but that it would take a couple years before he learned to play the run in the NFL. Fair to say Aaron has exceeded everyone's expectations.

Donald faced as many double and triple teams in college as Clowney, owing to the subpar supporting cast he had. But where that was used as an excuse to explain Clowney's drop in production, somehow Aaron's numbers went up.

Historically, Pitt doesn't produce many players worthy of going in the 1st round, but when they do (Mike Ditka, Tony Dorsett, Dan Marino, Chris Doleman, Larry Fitzgerald, Darrelle Revis, Aaron Donald) grab him.

Not everyone. ;)

Sorry, I'm gonna brag here because I am still so thrilled that he is ours. This is my scouting report for Donald written in May 2014:
Aaron Donald Prospect Evaluation

Build

Aaron Donald does not possess a prototypical frame for a NFL Defensive Tackle. He is a short and squatty player that lacks ideal height and weight for the position at 6’1” 285. Donald’s arm length is long relative to his size and is about average for the position at around 32 inches. His hand size is around 10 inches and more than adequate for a Defensive Tackle. Donald has broad shoulders, a thick lower half, and a muscular upper body with very little bad weight. He has a bubble and very thick thighs. There does not appear to be much growth potential on his frame. He should play between 290 and 295 in the NFL after adding weight in a NFL Strength and Conditioning Program.

Pass Rushing

Donald is an exceptional pass rushing prospect for a DT. He has a full repertoire of pass rush moves and knows how to use them. Donald has elite first step acceleration, nimble feet, and anticipates the snap count well. This makes his get off deadly at times. Many teams resorted to doubling him for much of the game because he was such a disruptive pass rusher. Donald showed the ability to setup speed with power and vice versa. His arm-over swim move is his most deadly weapon in his arsenal and he used it to humiliate numerous collegiate offensive linemen. Donald is the best DT in this class at attacking the half man and using his combination of speed and power to fight into the back-field. His hand placement and punch timing are top notch, often allowing him to land the first blow, lock the OL’s arms out, and then control his man with his natural leverage and powerful lower body. Donald also showed the ability to bull-rush his man into the back-field and then beat him back inside with his suddenness or spin move. When bull-rushing, Donald is smart enough to not get out of control and allow the OL to recover. He gets his hands into the OL’s chest-plate, drives him backwards, and continues to push the OL upwards while keeping his feet under him and staying well balanced. Donald also flashes effective rip and club moves. He seems to understand how to attack and beat the man in front of him often keeping the OL on his toes by varying his moves and changing up his attack style. Donald’s full arsenal of moves, powerful lower body, natural leverage, balance, punch timing, hand placement, and violent hands make him nearly impossible for most collegiate OLs to block 1 on 1. Donald is also a relentless pass rusher with a non-stop motor that will get his hands up into passing lanes if he’s stonewalled. However, he has had some issues taking down bigger and/or athletic QBs at times after he beat the man despite his top notch closing speed for a DT. Donald can also be too aggressive on play-action fakes leading him to run himself out of the play. Still, Donald has the potential to be a DT that consistently puts up 8-10+ sacks a year in the NFL.

Run Stopping

Donald is a more effective run stopper than one would expect a guy with his size to be. Donald is very strong in the lower body, anchors quite effectively, uses his natural leverage well, and has a strong upper body with powerful hands. He also has a low center of gravity and top notch balance which makes it difficult to cut him and makes it rare to see Donald off his feet. Donald has excellent lateral agility for a DT with nimble feet that make it difficult for OLs to get across his face and make him effective at moving laterally down the line of scrimmage on zone stretch plays. When Donald is playing disciplined, he has the get off, power, and balance to get into and hold his gap forcing running plays away from their desired location. However, Donald is an aggressive player and can allow run himself out of plays or get too far up-field on running plays while attacking. Donald shows the ability to stack blockers and find the HB when run at. However, due to Donald’s size, he can be engulfed by bigger OLs and taken out of plays by double teams. Donald can also lose his vision when tied up with bigger OLs and struggle to find the football. However, Donald is usually very good at using his hands and lateral agility in order to find a lane to get his eyes into the back-field while still keeping his gap integrity. He is very effective at finding the football while moving laterally. Donald has a very hot motor for a DT and will pursue plays down the field. While Donald will never be Vince Wilfork, he can hold his own 1 on 1 in the running game and should not be a liability. He also has the ability to penetrate the back-field due to his get-off, blow plays up, and pick up tackles for losses.

Intangibles

Donald was very clearly the best player on a Pittsburgh defense that was lacking in talent and often was shouldering the load. He was reportedly an extremely hard worker in the weight room and on the practice field. Donald plays the game with passion and intensity; he did not take plays off and often pursued plays that most DTs would have given up on. He was relentless in the running and passing games. He also played with a competitive fire and a mean streak. There were some moments where he lost his head including getting called for a personal foul in Pittsburgh’s Bowl Game against Bowling Green but those type of mental errors were few and far between. Donald understood how to walk the line between intense and hot-head. Donald seems to be a high character kid that works extremely hard on and off the field. His play, build, and power all reflect those qualities.

Overall

While being far from your prototypical DT, Aaron Donald is an exception to the general rules. Yes, he’s undersized. However, Donald’s play is so dominant that it cannot be overlooked. He consistently showed the ability to be a game changing talent from the DT position and players like that are quite rare. When teams did not double and triple team Donald, he wrecked their game-plan. When they did double and triple team Donald, he still found ways to make an impact. Donald showed the ability to get after the QB from any and every spot on the front four. He has elite physical attributes for the position, impressive technique for a college player, and the perfect mind-set for a player with his sort of size deficiencies. Donald is cut from the same cloth as DTs like Rod Coleman, La’Roi Glover, Geno Atkins, and dare I say John Randle. Once he has adjusted to the pro game and receives pro coaching, Donald will settle in as one of the NFL’s premier pass rushers and a guy that pushes double digit sacks seemingly year in and year out. Even more than that, though, he will provide consistent pressure and push up the middle while being able to hold his own in run defense and contribute splash plays. I would take him in the top 10 picks in the draft.

I've missed on plenty of guys, but I am proud to say that I got this one right, as did the Rams! :D
(Okay, enough of my boasting!)

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Not everyone. ;)

Sorry, I'm gonna brag here because I am still so thrilled that he is ours. This is my scouting report for Donald written in May 2014:

Build

Aaron Donald does not possess a prototypical frame for a NFL Defensive Tackle. He is a short and squatty player that lacks ideal height and weight for the position at 6’1” 285. Donald’s arm length is long relative to his size and is about average for the position at around 32 inches. His hand size is around 10 inches and more than adequate for a Defensive Tackle. Donald has broad shoulders, a thick lower half, and a muscular upper body with very little bad weight. He has a bubble and very thick thighs. There does not appear to be much growth potential on his frame. He should play between 290 and 295 in the NFL after adding weight in a NFL Strength and Conditioning Program.

Pass Rushing

Donald is an exceptional pass rushing prospect for a DT. He has a full repertoire of pass rush moves and knows how to use them. Donald has elite first step acceleration, nimble feet, and anticipates the snap count well. This makes his get off deadly at times. Many teams resorted to doubling him for much of the game because he was such a disruptive pass rusher. Donald showed the ability to setup speed with power and vice versa. His arm-over swim move is his most deadly weapon in his arsenal and he used it to humiliate numerous collegiate offensive linemen. Donald is the best DT in this class at attacking the half man and using his combination of speed and power to fight into the back-field. His hand placement and punch timing are top notch, often allowing him to land the first blow, lock the OL’s arms out, and then control his man with his natural leverage and powerful lower body. Donald also showed the ability to bull-rush his man into the back-field and then beat him back inside with his suddenness or spin move. When bull-rushing, Donald is smart enough to not get out of control and allow the OL to recover. He gets his hands into the OL’s chest-plate, drives him backwards, and continues to push the OL upwards while keeping his feet under him and staying well balanced. Donald also flashes effective rip and club moves. He seems to understand how to attack and beat the man in front of him often keeping the OL on his toes by varying his moves and changing up his attack style. Donald’s full arsenal of moves, powerful lower body, natural leverage, balance, punch timing, hand placement, and violent hands make him nearly impossible for most collegiate OLs to block 1 on 1. Donald is also a relentless pass rusher with a non-stop motor that will get his hands up into passing lanes if he’s stonewalled. However, he has had some issues taking down bigger and/or athletic QBs at times after he beat the man despite his top notch closing speed for a DT. Donald can also be too aggressive on play-action fakes leading him to run himself out of the play. Still, Donald has the potential to be a DT that consistently puts up 8-10+ sacks a year in the NFL.

Run Stopping

Donald is a more effective run stopper than one would expect a guy with his size to be. Donald is very strong in the lower body, anchors quite effectively, uses his natural leverage well, and has a strong upper body with powerful hands. He also has a low center of gravity and top notch balance which makes it difficult to cut him and makes it rare to see Donald off his feet. Donald has excellent lateral agility for a DT with nimble feet that make it difficult for OLs to get across his face and make him effective at moving laterally down the line of scrimmage on zone stretch plays. When Donald is playing disciplined, he has the get off, power, and balance to get into and hold his gap forcing running plays away from their desired location. However, Donald is an aggressive player and can allow run himself out of plays or get too far up-field on running plays while attacking. Donald shows the ability to stack blockers and find the HB when run at. However, due to Donald’s size, he can be engulfed by bigger OLs and taken out of plays by double teams. Donald can also lose his vision when tied up with bigger OLs and struggle to find the football. However, Donald is usually very good at using his hands and lateral agility in order to find a lane to get his eyes into the back-field while still keeping his gap integrity. He is very effective at finding the football while moving laterally. Donald has a very hot motor for a DT and will pursue plays down the field. While Donald will never be Vince Wilfork, he can hold his own 1 on 1 in the running game and should not be a liability. He also has the ability to penetrate the back-field due to his get-off, blow plays up, and pick up tackles for losses.

Intangibles

Donald was very clearly the best player on a Pittsburgh defense that was lacking in talent and often was shouldering the load. He was reportedly an extremely hard worker in the weight room and on the practice field. Donald plays the game with passion and intensity; he did not take plays off and often pursued plays that most DTs would have given up on. He was relentless in the running and passing games. He also played with a competitive fire and a mean streak. There were some moments where he lost his head including getting called for a personal foul in Pittsburgh’s Bowl Game against Bowling Green but those type of mental errors were few and far between. Donald understood how to walk the line between intense and hot-head. Donald seems to be a high character kid that works extremely hard on and off the field. His play, build, and power all reflect those qualities.

Overall

While being far from your prototypical DT, Aaron Donald is an exception to the general rules. Yes, he’s undersized. However, Donald’s play is so dominant that it cannot be overlooked. He consistently showed the ability to be a game changing talent from the DT position and players like that are quite rare. When teams did not double and triple team Donald, he wrecked their game-plan. When they did double and triple team Donald, he still found ways to make an impact. Donald showed the ability to get after the QB from any and every spot on the front four. He has elite physical attributes for the position, impressive technique for a college player, and the perfect mind-set for a player with his sort of size deficiencies. Donald is cut from the same cloth as DTs like Rod Coleman, La’Roi Glover, Geno Atkins, and dare I say John Randle. Once he has adjusted to the pro game and receives pro coaching, Donald will settle in as one of the NFL’s premier pass rushers and a guy that pushes double digit sacks seemingly year in and year out. Even more than that, though, he will provide consistent pressure and push up the middle while being able to hold his own in run defense and contribute splash plays. I would take him in the top 10 picks in the draft.

I've missed on plenty of guys, but I am proud to say that I got this one right, as did the Rams! :D

You hit on Joyner as well. I think I hit on Stedman Bailey (even the exact round, and I do believe that if he was healthy, he'd have a job with the Rams).

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
Not everyone. ;)

Build

Pass Rushing

Run Stopping

Intangibles

Overall

You sure nailed that one (y)

Now if you could dig up your evaluation of TJ Clemmings the following year...

:sneaky:

All in fun Amigo

bluecoconuts

Legend
I predicted that Aaron Donald would sign at the end of the month. It was close, but I'm just happy we have him locked up long term.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Not everyone. ;)

Build

Pass Rushing

Run Stopping

Intangibles

Overall

I have to admit that I had never heard of AD before you mentioned him. When I saw his tape I thought there was some sort of mistake. People were talking like he might go in the second round and maybe get into the end of the first. I was blown away when we got him.

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
As far as best DT combo being Reggie White/Jerome Brown (said ealier in the thread)... Reggie was an end. Remember Jackie Slater in the playoffs? A guy name Pitts was the DT with Brown. And Golic also rotated/started.

And for those scoffing at the "weaknesses" in the draft preview, if it said "weaknesses: none" then he wouldn't be there at the 13th pick.

But hey, happy to have 99 back.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Use a tablet. That's what I had to do. Way too many links on the home page.

Don't have a tablet or a cell phone, only my awesome Cybertron gaming computer which allows me to have a recording studio at my fingertips which btw never glitches. In fact, ESPN is the only site that locks up on me. Strange.