Aaron Donald is signed, 6-years, $135 million, including $87 million guaranteed

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I hate to be the snicker's bar at the pool party, but isn't AD TOO light right now? He said he was 270 lbs now, but the commenters for the top 100 said that he was 30 pounds lighter than the Olinemen at 285-290 lbs?

:fuelfire:
That does seem a little light. But I trust AD to put some weight on pretty quickly.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That does seem a little light. But I trust AD to put some weight on pretty quickly.
Anticipating free Jumbo Jacks?

FB_IMG_1535782199777.jpg

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I hate to be the snicker's bar at the pool party, but isn't AD TOO light right now? He said he was 270 lbs now, but the commenters for the top 100 said that he was 30 pounds lighter than the Olinemen at 285-290 lbs?

He is going to play DE, not DT . His speed & hands are like no body else. The offense line can’t block him. He gets to low & is so explosive. Read all you want about him.
. See with your owns eyes how good he will continue to be.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Well, as long as you're up, what will Cooper Kupp's numbers be this year?

This is not a WR thread !! lol

Aaron Donald just signed. What does that mean for Kupp ?? Does he take less to stay a Ram ?

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Below is a link to a doom-and-gloom article in The Ringer that claims the AD contract means Rams have only a two year Lombardi window, in 2018 and 2019.

Author claims Rams are screwed in 2020 because: Whit and Sully gone, Talib old, Goff 21M+ cap hit, Peters big hit, Gurley and Donald and Cooks big cap hits. Basically: author claims that in 2020, our superstars will all have big cap hits that will take up a too-large portion of the cap.

My Counter-arguments: Noteboom and Allen on OL, a keeper or two on D in this year’s class (Kiser and JFM?), continued good drafting in 2018 and 2019, LA as super-attractive destination for vets.

I agree Rams are in a great position for 2018 and 2019, but I was under the impression Rams are still in decent cap shape in 2020 and 2021. Or is it just too far-off to make judgments on this?

Then again... Big 5 of Gurley, Goff, Donald, Cooks and Peters will all have big cap hits in 2020.

Thoughts?

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2018/8/31/17806224/aaron-donald-los-angeles-rams-contract-extension

I say F” dumb asses’ !! 2 year gap ?
1.Noteboom is a stud !! In 2 years he will be the man at LT.
2.Havenstien just signed.
3. Whit & Woods are GREAT team players .
4. Goff is not going anywhere. He will fit his cap space
In for (WE) team first.
5.Donald will pass on the good will for team, & structure his contract at the right time,if needed ?
6.This thing has just begun.
7.Core players are signed for long term.

Last edited:

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

they have to get their hands on him first to stop him.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He is going to play DE, not DT . His speed & hands are like no body else. The offense line can’t block him. He gets to low & is so explosive. Read all you want about him.
. See with your owns eyes how good he will continue to be.
You are not telling me anything haven’t known since he suited up for the Rams. I was just noting that he has lost a lot of weight.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree Rams are in a great position for 2018 and 2019, but I was under the impression Rams are still in decent cap shape in 2020 and 2021. Or is it just too far-off to make judgments on this?

I try to take it one year at a time. Players come and go... who ever thought we'd have gotten rid of Quinn, Ogletree, Tru, and Austin this year? Next year, maybe Whitworth, Talib, Joyner, Suh, and Barron? There's 50 million right there, although I would love to see some of them come back.

Where's FLV?

Ram65

Legend
Below is a link to a doom-and-gloom article in The Ringer that claims the AD contract means Rams have only a two year Lombardi window, in 2018 and 2019.

Author claims Rams are screwed in 2020 because: Whit and Sully gone, Talib old, Goff 21M+ cap hit, Peters big hit, Gurley and Donald and Cooks big cap hits. Basically: author claims that in 2020, our superstars will all have big cap hits that will take up a too-large portion of the cap.

My Counter-arguments: Noteboom and Allen on OL, a keeper or two on D in this year’s class (Kiser and JFM?), continued good drafting in 2018 and 2019, LA as super-attractive destination for vets.

Then again... Big 5 of Gurley, Goff, Donald, Cooks and Peters will all have big cap hits in 2020.

Thoughts?

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2018/8/31/17806224/aaron-donald-los-angeles-rams-contract-extension

That's good topic worthy a thread of its own. The AD contract is right where we were guessing. The Rams thought AD's value was worth what they paid. The Rams defense is so much better with AD. He generates a big push up the middle that everyone benefits from his play. It makes so much sense to keep AD and go for the "Chip" now when the other pieces are in place. The Rams have a plan that included signing the corp players like AD.

The article wasn't that bad. It was a little slanted to make it's points. He made sound like they weren't trying to get the deal done. Big deals take time. It does say at least two years. I know the rest of the article points to 2020 with Goff's new deal. It doesn't give the numbers. As you mention it doesn't mention the rookies being groomed to replace the aging offensive lineman. I think the Rams have a plan to keep it going after next year. They have the skill players sign and just need Goff extended. Got Havenstein deal done and have more money to spend. The defense will have more players to replace and still have this years draft and two more draft classes to get it done

"It also reinforces the Rams for a two-year (at least) window in which the team will have its eyes set on the Super Bowl."

I would like to see the future contact numbers. Demoff is a smart numbers guy. He has to have a really good computer program that projects the numbers out. The keys will be drafting good players and solid free agent signings. I'll take two years with a good chance of being in the hunt for four or more years.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame

I caught that as well. It does give me pause. Some how I think it will okay for the simple fact Suh will be in there stuffing the run. Plus Donald strength and quickness probably makes it hard for the Oline to lock on to him.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2018/09/01/nfl-rams-aaron-donald-contract-car-revero-photo/

Look: Aaron Donald gets $130K car after signing extension with Rams
By: Cameron DaSilva

He had a Karma Revero delivered to his house the day he signed the contract, a much-deserved reward for all his hard work.

View: https://twitter.com/KarmaAutomotive/status/1035697539754807297?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1035697539754807297&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Ftheramswire.usatoday.com%2F2018%2F09%2F01%2Fnfl-rams-aaron-donald-contract-car-revero-photo%2F

The car, which is essentially a more luxurious Tesla, is electric but also has a traditional engine as a backup. It’s stunning looking inside and out, but that’s what you get for the price tag.

Reveros start at $130,000 before customization, which can drive the price up to $140,000. For a guy making $22.5 million per year with $50 million coming at once, that’s not a large chunk of change. For everyone else, that’s a different story.

https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2018/09/01/nfl-rams-guaranteed-aaron-donald-offseason-2018/

Rams have spent $237M in guaranteed money this offseason, most in NFL
By: Cameron DaSilva

The Los Angeles Rams unofficially completed a busy offseason on Friday by signing Aaron Donald to a six-year, $135 million deal, making him the highest-paid defensive player in NFL history. The contract came with a whopping $87 million guaranteed – the most for a defensive player – including $50 million guaranteed at signing.

By adding $87 million to the docket, the Rams have now guaranteed an unfathomable $237 million to their players this offseason alone. That’s the most in the NFL, and it’s not particularly close with the Vikings being the only other team to top $200 million.

View: https://twitter.com/Alden_Gonzalez/status/1035625542072975361?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1035625542072975361&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Ftheramswire.usatoday.com%2F2018%2F09%2F01%2Fnfl-rams-guaranteed-aaron-donald-offseason-2018%2F

The Browns have also doled out a lot of guaranteed cash this offseason, as well, as have the 49ers. However, none come close to what the Rams have done, and yet they’re still under the salary cap despite signing Donald, Todd Gurley, Brandin Cooks and Rob Havenstein in a span of a month and a half.

The Rams have money to spend, and clearly, they aren’t afraid to give it out.

dang

Legend

Thoughts?

We have to remember that with annual cap increases $22m will equate to like $18m in 3 years - so its all relative. Lock em up as soon as possible for extended period of time (e.g. Aaron Donald for the next 7 years) at reasonable contract $$$ and it will seem like a deal in the middle/end years of contract.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
This day keeps getting better. Seems the Rams are focused AND I passed that stone last night.

oh_happy_day.gif~c200