OFFICIAL 2023 NFL trades, cuts, free agents, and more

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yup. This is the backlash of the QB salaries being out of control, the aged veteran gets priced out of the league
Agreed. And it's not just the quarterbacks. Maybe contracts should just be limited to the guaranteed money spread out evenly over the years. It might make team rosters more "consistent" with players and fans, instead of teams cutting and trading them based on the cap and how they can manage or manipulate it. As I've said before, this is the business side of the NFL that I don't care for.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Leonard Floyd next? I love cryptic tweets... seem to be the rage lately.
Unfortunately it would be about 3 years too late.
Dude got paid and has disappointed since. IMO he was only extended because it was almost "cheaper to keep her"
And Eff Wags too
If the Rams can somehow keep A'Shawn AND Gaines they'd be able to keep a pretty formidable run D together.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Agreed. And it's not just the quarterbacks. Maybe contracts should just be limited to the guaranteed money spread out evenly over the years. It might make team rosters more "consistent" with players and fans, instead of teams cutting and trading them based on the cap and how they can manage or manipulate it. As I've said before, this is the business side of the NFL that I don't care for.
Yeah, this is the hypocrisy of the "Players Association". When they fought for a bigger (and 100% deserved) share of the revenue, they sold it as a desire to spread the wealth to the veteran players. Meanwhile, all the additional $$ went to the top 5-10% of the league and did nothing to help, if anything it hindered, the "vet" player

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Leonard Floyd next? I love cryptic tweets... seem to be the rage lately.

View: https://twitter.com/Leonard90Flo/status/1629109003048431617?s=20

Scared Uh Oh GIF by Boomerang Official

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
Unfortunately it would be about 3 years too late.
Dude got paid and has disappointed since. IMO he was only extended because it was almost "cheaper to keep her"
And Eff Wags too
If the Rams can somehow keep A'Shawn AND Gaines they'd be able to keep a pretty formidable run D together.
I don't get the Floyd hate. He's been a damn good run defender and has shown ability to rush the passer when the QB holds the ball longer then 2.1 seconds.

He's not the best EDGE rusher, but he's been real damn solid in setting the edge against the run and making some plays in coverage.

Without him, we'll be down to backups at best. We were already short on EDGE with him on the team.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't get the Floyd hate. He's been a damn good run defender and has shown ability to rush the passer when the QB holds the ball longer then 2.1 seconds.

He's not the best EDGE rusher, but he's been real damn solid in setting the edge against the run and making some plays in coverage.

Without him, we'll be down to backups at best. We were already short on EDGE with him on the team.
Nobody hates him. He's the 16th highest paid edge rusher in the league and he's not the 16th best or close to that IMO. He's over paid, he's a nice player but isn't worth what we gave him for what we get on the field.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I think any perceived drop in Ramsey can be contributed to how he has been used.

If they told him they were going to lock him up on #1 every week and leave him on an island I am sure he could still be that eraser.

if they told him he is playing in the box and taking out a TE with blitzes 10% of the plays he would be great at that too.

Without coming up with 2 viable outside corners I just don’t see the upside in moving him. He could have 5-7 more productive years if they play him correctly and work his next salary to fit his use.

dang

Legend
I think we are seeing Rams FO approaching some vets to restructure their contract. The fallout is they either accept or they get released to try their luck with a “team that’s in a better position to win now (code for willing to pay more)”.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I think we are seeing Rams FO approaching some vets to restructure their contract. The fallout is they either accept or they get released to try their luck with a “team that’s in a better position to win now (code for willing to pay more)”.
Guessing that is the case here with big 54. He's got to be on that restructure list.

Players shouldn't be surprised either. When you're paying out big money and don't get the production and win results this is inevitable.

Rams43

Hall of Fame

‘Don’t think any player would ever object to restructuring, gives them more of their money sooner at no cost.

Now reducing their contract amount? That’s a whole different story. It’s rare and no player wants to do that.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
‘Don’t think any player would ever object to restructuring, gives them more of their money sooner at no cost.

Now reducing their contract amount? That’s a whole different story. It’s rare and no player wants to do that.
Restructures normally have no affect on a player. It's just accounting. Converting base salary into a bonus. Maybe adding a void yr to the contract...again nothing that affects when or what a player is paid.

dang

Legend

You are correct. I indicated “restructure” when I should have stated “renegotiate”. So I should have stated “I think we are seeing Rams FO approaching some vets to renegotiate their contract”.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
JFC, how far has this guy's star fallen?

https://www.nfl.com/news/Commodes-release-qb-carson-wentz-after-one-season

Status
Not open for further replies.