OFFICIAL 2023 NFL trades, cuts, free agents, and more

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
AD said he’s coming back… no, I don’t wanna find it, but he is.

I swear the media wants to tear this team apart and leave us with nothing

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim

I swear the media wants to tear this team apart and leave us with nothing

Normally, I push-back on the "They're Out For Us" comments but I agree here Mack.

So many reports about McVay and Donald not returning in 2022. They did.
Then about McVay, Donald and Stafford not returning in 2023. They will.

Just the other day, I read an article that 2023 could be the final season for McVay, Donald and Stafford.

I really think a lot of it is as simple as people can't accept being wrong.

In this case, there were so many commentators that were critical about the aggressive moves made by the Rams. Goes back to 2018 and 2019; and hit a peak in November of 2021 with the Beckham and Miller moves,

Many commentators were critical ... 'That's Not the way to build a Champion ... Can't buy a Lombardi ... Mortgaging the Future ... Chips are All-In ... Better win right now'. If the Rams failed, those commentators would scream ... 'I Told You So'!!!

Well the Rams did win. Those commentators were wrong. Not many acknowledged it.

Instead, they reveled in the Rams 2022 collapse, often ignoring the extreme number of OL injuries.
I think there really are a lot of football commentators that want to see the Rams fail.
They have all these 'I was Right! I Told You So's!' locked-and-loaded.

Older players who have had injuries and made a ton of money, will eventually retire.
A young head coach who can make obscene money to watch a football game will eventually try it.
And these ass-hole commentators will say 'I Told You So'.

Personally, I will have a few "Fuck You, you know nothing ass-holes" locked-and-loaded.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
As much as I place Donald on the Mt Rushmore of Greatest Defensive players in my lifetime, and that I've shown utter disgust of the idea in the past, I'd trade him before I trade Ramsey.
I dont know how much longer he wants to play, and I cant imagine what he'd cost to sign AGAIN. That said, if folks were allegedly offering 2 1st rounders for Brian Burns last season, I cant imagine what Donald would bring.
Mind you, perish the absolute thought, I hope that #99 plays his entire career in Horns, I just have a sneaky suspicion that it wont end up that way

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
NFL trade rumors: Latest on Aaron Rodgers, Tee Higgins and more
“While there’s no concrete rumors on this front, Aaron Donald is someone to keep an eye on. The three-time NFL Defensive Player of the Year briefly indicated that he had retired via social media before taking it back. But the defensive tackle has not committed to returning to the Rams for another season. With Los Angeles’ terrible cap situation, this is a blockbuster that could make sense.”
Fuckin media just spews any BS to see what will stick.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
As much as I place Donald on the Mt Rushmore of Greatest Defensive players in my lifetime, and that I've shown utter disgust of the idea in the past, I'd trade him before I trade Ramsey.
I dont know how much longer he wants to play, and I cant imagine what he'd cost to sign AGAIN. That said, if folks were allegedly offering 2 1st rounders for Brian Burns last season, I cant imagine what Donald would bring.
Mind you, perish the absolute thought, I hope that #99 plays his entire career in Horns, I just have a sneaky suspicion that it wont end up that way
I have similar thoughts. IF the driving force of his contemplated retirement the last 2 offseasons is the fact that he wants to be near his kids in Pittsburgh, as an organization, you have to explore the option of sending him to the Steelers or be left with a giant hole on your team with no capital to fill it with. I absolutely love Donald but would rather see him playing in Pittsburgh then retiring and leaving the team with nothing.

BuffaloRam

Pro Bowler
I have similar thoughts. IF the driving force of his contemplated retirement the last 2 offseasons is the fact that he wants to be near his kids in Pittsburgh, as an organization, you have to explore the option of sending him to the Steelers or be left with a giant hole on your team with no capital to fill it with. I absolutely love Donald but would rather see him playing in Pittsburgh then retiring and leaving the team with nothing.
TJ Watt and AD99 would bean overmatch for almost every O-line

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
By trying to trade him to a specific team, ADs trade value is decreased.

The only good thing to come out of that would be to shut up Steeler fans who argue that AD is overrated. They’d see him first hand and be in awe.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott

The only good thing to come out of that would be to shut up Steeler fans who argue that AD is overrated. They’d see him first hand and be in awe.
A fair and unique trade could go as follows...

Pitt trades a 23' #1 for Donald

If still on the Steelers roster on draft day 24' the Rams get an additional #2 in 24'

If still on the Steelers roster on draft day 25', the Rams get an additional 3rd in 25'.

If still there in 26' they get a 4th in 26'.

Seems fair as his skill diminishes you get less, but you still get a pick due to his likley still relatively high level of play.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I wonder if he has a no trade clause? That would mitigate that issue.
Crap, I feel like I am endorsing a Donald trade, which I absolutely dont want to happen.
But unfortunately, could see happening

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
A fair and unique trade could go as follows...

Pitt trades a 23' #1 for Donald

If still on the Steelers roster on draft day 24' the Rams get an additional #2 in 24'

If still on the Steelers roster on draft day 25', the Rams get an additional 3rd in 25'.

If still there in 26' they get a 4th in 26'.

Seems fair as his skill diminishes you get less, but you still get a pick due to his likley still relatively high level of play.
However if the Steelers were the only team that he wanted to go to then they would try to negotiate less, and likely site his huge salary as a reason for a reduction in the trade compensation.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I wonder if he has a no trade clause? That would mitigate that issue.
Crap, I feel like I am endorsing a Donald trade, which I absolutely dont want to happen.
But unfortunately, could see happening
I wouldn’t want it to happen either.

All we have to go on is that McVay is year to year. AD has two more years and I think the same for Stafford. So I look at everything as a two year plan right now. Trading star players doesn’t make sense in that case.

My guess is after those two years McVay goes to TV and years later he pulls a Vermiel and returns to coaching later in life. Despite the money, McVay seems to be the type that needs to coach. He’s meant to lead. He’s a high energy type. I don’t believe that he’d be content with a less challenging lifestyle than coaching.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
However if the Steelers were the only team that he wanted to go to then they would try to negotiate less, and likely site his huge salary as a reason for a reduction in the trade compensation.
Well, I do think there is some honor between GMs and they tend to offer fair value for a player. Plus we are eating his proated bonus money that was already paid to him so they get him cheaper than what we were going to pay him.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Well, I do think there is some honor between GMs and they tend to offer fair value for a player. Plus we are eating his proated bonus money that was already paid to him so they get him cheaper than what we were going to pay him.
It could be that there is honor in GM dealings. I recall the bidding for McCaffrey. It seems highest bidder wins. Same with vying for top three draft spots. I’ve always figured that while they are cordial, they are all very tough negotiators trying to get the best deals for their teams.

nighttrain

Legend
It could be that there is honor in GM dealings. I recall the bidding for McCaffrey. It seems highest bidder wins. Same with vying for top three draft spots. I’ve always figured that while they are cordial, they are all very tough negotiators trying to get the best deals for their teams.
there are two teams in Pennsylvania, Steelers and Eagles!
train

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
there are two teams in Pennsylvania, Steelers and Eagles!
train
Yeah I know. I live there. The suggestion was that AD would want to be in Pittsburgh. That way he could be around his other family more. Philly to Pittsburgh is 5 hours. So during camp and in season I don’t think Philly would allow him anymore time with his other kids in Pittsburgh.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Speculation is the Giants tag Jones. Barkley to test free agency.

With Daniel Jones likely getting tagged, Saquon Barkley could be headed to open market​

With Giants quarterback Daniel Jones changing agents in an effort to change the terms the team is offering, he’s now on track for the franchise tag.

The big winner in that move could be running back Saquon Barkley.

The Giants, like all teams, have one tag to use each year. The thinking was that the Giants would sign Jones to a long-term deal and then tag Barkley, if they can’t work out a deal with him, too.

Now, the focus will likely shift to getting Barkley signed.

The rampant tampering at the Scouting Combine will help the effort. Barkley will know what it, and isn’t, out there before making a final decision on whatever the Giants offer. Which would result in Barkley potentially re-signing before the two-day negotiating window opens, or maybe during it.

Or maybe he leaves. Which would make it harder for Jones to duplicate his performance in 2022, given that Barkley had a very strong season, forcing defenses to focus a little more on him — and a little less on Jones.

It’s unclear what the market for Barkley would be. He has five years of NFL wear and tear, and he plays a position that results in plenty of impacts that can result in plenty of injuries. A long-term investment would come with enhanced risk for the team that provides it.

If tagged, Barkley would receive a one-year, $10.091 million tender. That will only happen at this point if Jones and the Giants can work out a long-term contract. Which now seems unlikely given that negotiations to date have prompted Jones to fire his agents and hire new ones.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Speculation is the Giants tag Jones. Barkley to test free agency.

With Daniel Jones likely getting tagged, Saquon Barkley could be headed to open market​

With Giants quarterback Daniel Jones changing agents in an effort to change the terms the team is offering, he’s now on track for the franchise tag.

The big winner in that move could be running back Saquon Barkley.

The Giants, like all teams, have one tag to use each year. The thinking was that the Giants would sign Jones to a long-term deal and then tag Barkley, if they can’t work out a deal with him, too.

Now, the focus will likely shift to getting Barkley signed.

The rampant tampering at the Scouting Combine will help the effort. Barkley will know what it, and isn’t, out there before making a final decision on whatever the Giants offer. Which would result in Barkley potentially re-signing before the two-day negotiating window opens, or maybe during it.

Or maybe he leaves. Which would make it harder for Jones to duplicate his performance in 2022, given that Barkley had a very strong season, forcing defenses to focus a little more on him — and a little less on Jones.

It’s unclear what the market for Barkley would be. He has five years of NFL wear and tear, and he plays a position that results in plenty of impacts that can result in plenty of injuries. A long-term investment would come with enhanced risk for the team that provides it.

If tagged, Barkley would receive a one-year, $10.091 million tender. That will only happen at this point if Jones and the Giants can work out a long-term contract. Which now seems unlikely given that negotiations to date have prompted Jones to fire his agents and hire new ones.
It’s tough being a GM these days. Zeke has dropped off a cliff. How many years does Barkley get and at what money? Runningbacks are risky bets to invest heavily in. McCaffrey was worth it for the Niners. But then look at Gurley’s situation.

I really like Saquon. He’d be nice to have on the Rams. But he has had ACL surgery. I wouldn’t want our cap strapped team to get into a bidding war over him.

dang

Legend
Rams will need to fill starting LT, LG, ED, DE, CB2, S, K, P positions via FA/Trade/Draft. Sign Gay and possibly promote Durant and that takes care of 2 positions. I’d also like the Rams to draft a C but they may run out of options for adding starters.

Status
Not open for further replies.