OFFICIAL 2023 NFL trades, cuts, free agents, and more

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reddog99

Pro Bowler
I would guess it's because the best wideouts are not only great athletes but great route technicians. Being smooth into and out of your cuts means you're gonna be viable. Just like receivers who can make contested catches btw. Some guys have that ability to fight through the DB when going for the ball and add catch radius.

Corners have everything stacked against them. Rules, being on an island where the smallest mistake can be seen by all, all the best athletes coming out now as wideouts, etc. And as they age there isn't a lot of room for adjusting to loss of speed. What they do is hold and clutch, which Ramsey has been doing for a couple seasons now IMO.
Ok yeah that makes a lot of sense. I appreciate you explaining that to me. Cheers man

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
This time next year the conversation will be what do we do with a corner who is paid at the top of his position group but no longer has the skills to warrant it. Hope I'm wrong as always with this kind of sentiment but to me it's pretty clear he is on the decline and that can be a cliff with cornerbacks due to the nature of the position.

So to me it follows that a GM with vision would move his ass now. I have no issues with Ramsey and I appreciate him too but this is a cutthroat business and if you want to stay on top you gotta make the hard calls in the appropriate windows.
Easy, do what Ronnie Lott and Rod Woodson did...become all world safeties.

If he stays that is what they should sell to him. He could play another 5 yrs, eventually becoming a great safety.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
This time next year, the Rams could release Ramsey and get almost three-times the cap relief they would get this year, with about half the Dead-$ that they will incur if they move-on this off-season.
If they move him this yr he has no dead cap hit next yr. So that logic doesn't make much sense.

This way you save some cap room this yr and all of his cap next yr.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
You don't pay "reliable CB's" $25M per year. This is a cutthroat business. It's a tough business. If the Rams want to make decisions like a fan does (with sentimentality) they need a new GM making decisions on these veteran players IMO.
It's more likely that we keep him. Cutt throat is reserved for someone that has fallen off a cliff, which he hasn't. Our secondary has an astronomical fall off in talent after Ramsey. There's a reason teams will give up high picks for him, he's still a stud at the position. If the Rams make rash decisions to get rid of talent so easily like other fans, then they need a new GM......see 2 can play that game hahahaha

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
It's more likely that we keep him. Cutt throat is reserved for someone that has fallen off a cliff, which he hasn't. Our secondary has an astronomical fall off in talent after Ramsey. There's a reason teams will give up high picks for him, he's still a stud at the position. If the Rams make rash decisions to get rid of talent so easily like other fans, then they need a new GM......see 2 can play that game hahahaha
He either is traded or they actually extend him to restructure and lessen his cap hit. And they do so with the idea he eventually transitions to safety.

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If the 2 QB appear to be 1 & 2, and Houston wants to move up to ensure they get "their guy", Chicago could pick up a decent chunk to drop 1 spot, then look to trade down again for whoever wants to move up to #2
I think they'd get more that way than by taking the best deal for the #1 overall
Just spit balling here, Houston may sit tight at 2 and pull an Eagles move by just taking who's left
You gotta believe Les is saying WTF….all that power and no moves. SHAME, SHAME, SHAME

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
If they move him this yr he has no dead cap hit next yr. So that logic doesn't make much sense.

This way you save some cap room this yr and all of his cap next yr.
'Some' but not much.

This is not that complicated. It's a choice.

Take all the pain in 2023 (i.e., big Dead-$ and No Jalen Ramsey); but be clean in 2024.

OR

Hold onto Ramsey in 2023 and hope he plays up to his big cap number. Then, should the Rams move-on from him in 2024, the cap savings are greater and the Dead-$, while still significant, is lower.

Other alternatives include, restructuring or a short-term extension.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
'Some' but not much.

Take all the pain in 2023 (i.e., big Dead-$ and No Jalen Ramsey); but be clean in 2024.

OR

Hold onto Ramsey in 2023 and hope he plays up to his big cap number. Then, should the Rams move-on from him in 2024, the cap savings are greater and the Dead-$, while still significant, is lower.

What is this fascination with Rams fans on getting rid of Jalen Ramsey? I just don't get it.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
'Some' but not much.

OR

Cap savings are not greater in 24'. If just looking at 24', you move him now you save his entire 24' cap number. BTW, right now they are already over the 24' cap by $2.5M.

So they will likley be in worse shape next yr after some restructures this yr and any FA signings, pushing more $$ into the cap next yr. So you need to balance out those savings.

You are focused only on this yr, that's fine, but I am looking big picture and long-term cap health. Plus, you get picks this yr.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Cap savings are not greater in 24'. If just looking at 24', you move him now you save his entire 24' cap number. BTW, right now they are already over the 24' cap by $2.5M.

So they will likley be in worse shape next yr after some restructures this yr and any FA signings, pushing more $$ into the cap next yr. So you need to balance out those savings.

You are focused only on this yr, that's fine, but I am looking big picture and long-term cap health. Plus, you get picks this yr.
The 24 cap number is kind of fluid especially at this point in time. More trades restructures free agents draft picks all will affect it. Plus we could see Stafford and Donald retire which alone clears up close to $30 million. Also the two different cap sites have different numbers and without looking too far into it we're not really sure who's more accurate with Spotrac saying we're $25 million over.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
What is this fascination with Rams fans on getting rid of Jalen Ramsey? I just don't get it.
I don't want the Rams to get rid of Ramsey. Just discussing numbers. Below is what I posted earlier today.

"Regarding Ramsey's future with the Rams, I have not read anything about a short-term-extension that would provide cap-relief in 2023. That's also telling for me. The cap savings for trading or releasing Ramsey prior to June 1 are relatively small, with large Dead-$. A short-term extension would provide greater 2023 cap-relief. If the Rams believe Ramsey still has 2-3 top-tier-CB years remaining, that would seem to be the way-to-go.

Maybe it has been discussed, or is being discussed. However, most reports seem to be about a potential trade. There have been a few about a potential release. But nothing (that I have heard or read) about a potential short-term extension."

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim

I have always said you were a Big Picture kind-of-guy.

Seriously, I'm not recommending anything on Ramsey. Why should I? McVay and Snead don't take my calls.
I am just talking numbers

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
he's big as fuck,
IMO, you use that big as fuck, bad ass tackling machine where ever you can cuz you ain't drafting that guy unless you get REALLY lucky. Concentrate on weaknesses. Don't get rid of a strength.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
IMO, you use that big as fuck, bad ass tackling machine where ever you can cuz you ain't drafting that guy unless you get REALLY lucky. Concentrate on weaknesses. Don't get rid of a strength.
That would be the nickel in a SS role IMO. He would kill that, just add one good cb for outside the hash.

Of course best case is we get an angry Ramsey in 2023 who kills it and shuts fans like myself up. Me and OS would love that. :laugh4:

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd

I think that’s really the complication in this discussion. Who do the Rams have in PROVEN talent after Ramsey? This would be an easier move (letting Ramsey go) if we still had a legit starting CB—not even a star, necessarily, just a legit starter.

As for compensation, nobody is giving the Rams a 1rst AND taking on that contract. What did we do “to deserve that generosity”?
If I was Snead and I HAD to dump that contract, I would be willing to take a 2nd and a 4th. I’d sign a FA for no more than half of what Ramsey was due, and I’d draft a CB and an edge pronto.
Probably double up later in the draft or sign a few UDFAs.

Having no secondary and no pass rush would kill this team. The Rams had absolutely no offense during the Fisher years, but the first thing he did was build a solid defense, making the Rams respectable in his first year as HC (his best year, IMO). Then again, the Rams drafted TWO of the top CBs in the draft that year.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just like Wagner it's all about the money. As good of a guy and teammate Brock is he's over paid for his production at his age.
Yup. This is the backlash of the QB salaries being out of control, the aged veteran gets priced out of the league

Status
Not open for further replies.