OFFICIAL 2023 NFL trades, cuts, free agents, and more

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Lewan has missed on average 10 games per season over the last 3 years. Not sure he gets injured enough for the Rams liking. Lol

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Re: AD there is that possibility he would ask for a trade to Pittsburgh. They could pair him with a fine edge and he would be close to family. But yeah he is a different case from Ramsey in that he holds the cards.

Ramsey has the misfortune of being a corner, where age is sudden and brutal. Different situation though neither may live up to what the Rams are paying them in 2023.

If the Rams were gonna move AD it should have been last year. Now we will see him punch out and be left holding the bag. And not saying he isn't worth that. But it will be painful for a bit when he goes. Ramsey is the guy they can move now and get something before the wheels fully fall off the wagon.

Psycho_X

Legend
Ramsey has the misfortune of being a corner, where age is sudden and brutal. Different situation though neither may live up to what the Rams are paying them in 2023.
Idk, Ramsey is 28 so not like he is old and has never missed a game due to injury (not counting his "back injury" in Jacksonville lol). Sure there is drop off at some point but CBs usually last into their low 30s. It's not like they are RBs. He's reliable, still a playmaker, and a great leader so I see no reason to get rid of him.

His salary isn't crazy for a top 10 CB which I think he still is. Either way, his dead cap hit is still more than I'd care to swallow versus having him on the team for 23. After next season it becomes extremely easy to move on from him if his play drops.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Idk, Ramsey is 28 so not like he is old and has never missed a game due to injury (not counting his "back injury" in Jacksonville lol). Sure there is drop off at some point but CBs usually last into their low 30s. It's not like they are RBs. He's reliable, still a playmaker, and a great leader so I see no reason to get rid of him.

His salary isn't crazy for a top 10 CB which I think he still is. Either way, his dead cap hit is still more than I'd care to swallow versus having him on the team for 23. After next season it becomes extremely easy to move on from him if his play drops.
This time next year the conversation will be what do we do with a corner who is paid at the top of his position group but no longer has the skills to warrant it. Hope I'm wrong as always with this kind of sentiment but to me it's pretty clear he is on the decline and that can be a cliff with cornerbacks due to the nature of the position.

So to me it follows that a GM with vision would move his ass now. I have no issues with Ramsey and I appreciate him too but this is a cutthroat business and if you want to stay on top you gotta make the hard calls in the appropriate windows.

Reddog99

Pro Bowler
This time next year the conversation will be what do we do with a corner who is paid at the top of his position group but no longer has the skills to warrant it. Hope I'm wrong as always with this kind of sentiment but to me it's pretty clear he is on the decline and that can be a cliff with cornerbacks due to the nature of the position.

So to me it follows that a GM with vision would move his ass now. I have no issues with Ramsey and I appreciate him too but this is a cutthroat business and if you want to stay on top you gotta make the hard calls in the appropriate windows.
Hey Merlin why is it that corners decline sooner than receivers? Guys like Diggs and Adams are similar in age to Ramsey yet they don't seem to be in decline. I'm not as knowledgeable on this stuff like the majority here are so I apologize if it's a stupid question.

Psycho_X

Legend

It's possible, if that happens we can out right cut him and save a ton of money after 23. Or trade him for some lower compensation. If we can find someone willing to give us great draft picks now (1st rounders) then I'd think about it but I'm not sure that'll happen. And I'd rather roll with him a little longer then get some day 2 pick for him. Not to diminish day 2 picks but at that point we'd have literally no outside CBs on the team that I'd trust. I guess ultimately I just disagree on him having declined very much and think he has several more years to give as a top 10-15 CB. But it wouldn't be the first time the Rams have surprised me so time will tell.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I wonder if he has a no trade clause? That would mitigate that issue.
Crap, I feel like I am endorsing a Donald trade, which I absolutely dont want to happen.
But unfortunately, could see happening
"Et tu, dieter?" ~ 99

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing

Charles Woodson and Champ Bailey played well until their mid-30s. Why can't Ramsey? He may not be the #1 cover corner anymore but he's still top 10 which is great.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
This time next year the conversation will be what do we do with a corner who is paid at the top of his position group but no longer has the skills to warrant it.
This time next year, the Rams could release Ramsey and get almost three-times the cap relief they would get this year, with about half the Dead-$ that they will incur if they move-on this off-season.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hey Merlin why is it that corners decline sooner than receivers? Guys like Diggs and Adams are similar in age to Ramsey yet they don't seem to be in decline. I'm not as knowledgeable on this stuff like the majority here are so I apologize if it's a stupid question.
I would guess it's because the best wideouts are not only great athletes but great route technicians. Being smooth into and out of your cuts means you're gonna be viable. Just like receivers who can make contested catches btw. Some guys have that ability to fight through the DB when going for the ball and add catch radius.

Corners have everything stacked against them. Rules, being on an island where the smallest mistake can be seen by all, all the best athletes coming out now as wideouts, etc. And as they age there isn't a lot of room for adjusting to loss of speed. What they do is hold and clutch, which Ramsey has been doing for a couple seasons now IMO.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Charles Woodson and Champ Bailey played well until their mid-30s. Why can't Ramsey? He may not be the #1 cover corner anymore but he's still top 10 which is great.
Those two were locking guys down and erasing them into those early 30s years. I just think Ramsey's a different type athlete, he's big as fuck, still probably has good long speed but he gets left suddenly when he can't get his hands on guys which is a really bad trend.

But you know what... If the Rams keep him and he rebounds I'll be more than glad to eat crow. Couple years back I was thinking the same way with Whit and he rebounded for a fine season in our Super Bowl winning year so it's just an opinion and I've been wrong plenty. Really hope I am wrong here but I see what I see.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This time next year, the Rams could release Ramsey and get almost three-times the cap relief they would get this year, with about half the Dead-$ that they will incur if they move-on this off-season.
Yeah it's possible they saw this coming and have it timed with that contract. I don't worry about the cap side though tbh, I enjoy throwing shit at the wall and seeing what sticks. :laugh2:

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame

I think you are bailing too early on a very reliable CB. Ramsey isnt even 30 years old and I don't think he's falling off a cliff anytime soon. Dude has been consistently healthy and a tone setter for us big time.

Ram65

Legend
This time next year the conversation will be what do we do with a corner who is paid at the top of his position group but no longer has the skills to warrant it. Hope I'm wrong as always with this kind of sentiment but to me it's pretty clear he is on the decline and that can be a cliff with cornerbacks due to the nature of the position.Quote

So to me it follows that a GM with vision would move his ass now. I have no issues with Ramsey and I appreciate him too b

Maybe Demoff and snead can't get good value? The cap hit before June 1 will be high. I get the idea but, it might be easier said than done. At worse you overpay him playing at safety.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think you are bailing too early on a very reliable CB. Ramsey isnt even 30 years old and I don't think he's falling off a cliff anytime soon. Dude has been consistently healthy and a tone setter for us big time.
You don't pay "reliable CB's" $25M per year. This is a cutthroat business. It's a tough business. If the Rams want to make decisions like a fan does (with sentimentality) they need a new GM making decisions on these veteran players IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.