OFFICIAL 2023 Draft

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Maybe. He's a boom/bust guy. Could be a yearly MVP candidate. Could also be the next Vince Young. I like the kid as a person, but his mental game is what concerns me. Hopefully, he lands in a spot where they can bring him along in a deliberate manner and have a staff that supports him/maximizes his skillset.

As for Bryce Young, he's basically the same size as Russell Wilson. Size wouldn't deter me from taking him.

Russell Wilson is thicker. Even Kyler Murray is thicker than Bryce Young. The kid would be the shortest, thinnest quarterback to be in the NFL. The size issues are a real concern.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
Sounds like a McVay TE lol

Hear me out, I know you’re all about not trading Ramsey but in my fantasy world I been thinking we trade Ramsey for #7 and #70 ? Move back 2-5 picks and pick up Van Ness! Am I hallucinating or…
View attachment 58976

Being a bit to Dumb and Dumber? Lol
I don't think we get #7 mid teens maybe plus something

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Here it is El Chapo

new zealand news GIF

BuffaloRam

Hall of Fame
Reckon that we will get Stetson Bennett as our QB2 if Mayfield leaves in Free Agency… seems like the 6th round to UDFA range QB that McVay would like

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Bryce Young is pretty small.

HEIGHTWEIGHT
Bryce Young, 20235-10 1/8204
Kyler Murray, 20195-10 1/8207
Baker Mayfield, 20186-0 5/8215
Russell Wilson, 20125-11204
Drew Brees, 20016-0213

NFL Combine 2023: Analyzing Bryce Young's historically slight frame and whether teams should be concerned​

In theory, when a quarterback is getting No. 1 overall hype, teams want all the boxes to be checked. Alabama quarterback Bryce Young won't be able to check all the boxes.

The 21-year-old is incredibly poised beyond his years. He throws with NFL-veteran-level anticipation and creates off structure as a runner and outside-the-pocket passer naturally as any quarterback prospect since Patrick Mahomes.

Young, too, will be unprecedentedly small for the position as a professional. Especially for a top-tier quarterback prospect. And that will undoubtedly scare teams considering the former Heisman winner within the first few selections of the 2023 NFL Draft. But does height and weight matter at the quarterback position in the NFL? With Young, the answer is complicated.

At the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis on Saturday, Young's official measurements were as followed: 5-foot-10 and 1/8 inch tall weighing 204 pounds with 9 and 1/2 inch hands. Here's how Young compares to some notably small, high-caliber quarterback prospects measured in at their respective combines over the past 25 years.

For those concerned about Young's size, he has almost identical measurements to Kyler Murray, who the Arizona Cardinals took No. 1 overall in the 2019 NFL Draft. And even if teams shy away from Young's slight frame, is there a reason to?.

As an evaluator, I don't grade specifically on size alone at the quarterback position. Size, directly, does not hinder or elevate a quarterback at the NFL level. It's what typically comes with size -- or lack thereof -- that does either of those things. Usually, large quarterbacks have stronger arms and the opposite is true with those who lack size.

In the case of Wilson, Mayfield and Murray, they were exceptions. Each had above-average NFL arms despite falling well short of normal starting quarterback size standards. If you simply watched the velocity of the ball out of their hands, or how effortless they ripped it downfield, you would've never guessed they were right around 6-0. Brees was an outlier because of his lightning-quick processing and surgical accuracy, one of the most striking combinations of that kind in NFL history.

The red-flaggy problem with Young is, he doesn't have a big arm and isn't ridiculously accurate with the football at all levels. That scares me. There's a difference between being short and being small. Young is the smallest of the above group of quarterbacks and doesn't have a monster arm. Yes, he reads the field well and doesn't have ball-placement issues. He's nowhere near as accurate as Brees was, and while he ad-libs awesomely, he doesn't possess Murray's explosiveness or top-end speed.

There's no concrete evidence that suggests larger quarterbacks stay healthier than smaller ones, but a body like Young's feels more susceptible to injury on big hits from large defenders than a 6-4, 220-pound passer.

Size for Wilson, Mayfield and Murray didn't bother me. At all, really. They all were highly productive quarterbacks with strong arms -- by NFL standards -- and had standout quarterback traits. Young's creativity, accuracy and anticipation are outstanding. His arm strength is not special. His change-of-direction is, but he doesn't fly, and to be a competent scrambler in today's NFL, you have to be really, really fast.

There are signs that Young may ultimately have a long, successful NFL career. He could be another outlier. But measurables and traits are priorities during the draft process. And Young simply doesn't have classic measurable or out-of-this world traits, which make him one of the more polarizing possible No. 1 overall picks in a long time.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
“Doesn’t have a big arm.”
Then how do you justify a 1rst round grade, let alone the #1 pick?
Even if he wasn’t diminutive, the NFL loves big arms. Even bad mechanics, attitude, etc., can be overlooked if the guy can make those “big throws”.

Compare Goff, Stafford, and Lawrence to this kid.

Seriously? I hope the 9ers mortgage and trade everything to move up and get him!!

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

John Michael Schmitz can’t be Rams’ next Creed Humphrey

The Rams can’t afford to pass on John Michael Schmitz
usa_today_19344212.0.jpg

It’s a tale as old as time at this point. Heading into the 2021 NFL Draft, the Los Angeles Rams needed a center. However, with the 52nd overall pick, it seemed unlikely that the top center options would fall that far in the second round.

Somehow, pick by by, Oklahoma center Creed Humphrey started to slide. The Philadelphia Eagles selected Landon Dickerson, the Chicago Bears took tackle Tevin Jenkins, and the Seattle Seahawks at 51 took D’Wayne Eskridge one pick before the Rams.

Humphrey had performed extremely well in the Senior Bowl, catching eyes of scouts and media who were in attendance. It seemed like a sure thing that he would go at the top of the second round.

Yet, when the Rams got on the clock with the 57th overall pick, there he was available for the taking.

Heading into the 2021 season, the Rams needed a center. They opted not to bring back Austin Blythe in free agency, leaving Brian Allen as the only legitimate center option. Allen had spent most of the 2019 and 2020 seasons injured. There was also some discussion on moving Austin Corbett to center — a position that he had played with the Cleveland Browns. Both options had their own set of risks.

There was little doubt that the Rams needed a more stable option at center, if not for 2021, then moving forward into the next three to five years.

Then, the pick came through.

“With the 52nd overall pick, the Los Angeles Rams select Chatarious Atwell, wide receiver, Lousville.”

TuTu Atwell was a 5’8 wide receiver that had weighed in at just 149 pounds at the NFL Combine. However, at the same combine he ran a 4.39 40-yard dash to help him shoot up draft boards. A potential fourth round pick earned his way into the second round.

Les Snead and the Rams had done this dance before. In 2012, Tavon Austin was considered a second-round pick before running a 4.34 40-yard dash at the NFL Combine. The Rams traded up and selected him with the eighth overall pick.

While Atwell only played 10 snaps on offense as a rookie, Humphrey was selected by the Kansas City Chiefs and was named to the PFWA All-Rookie team. This past season he made his first Pro Bowl.

The Chiefs went into the 2021 offseason needing to rebuild their offensive line following the disaster that occurred in the Super Bowl against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Along with a trade for Orlando Brown, Humphrey helped transform the Chiefs offensive line almost immediately.

Now, heading into the 2023 offseason, the Rams once again need a center. Allen has gone into a season as a starter three times and has ended up on injured reserve twice. He’s never played a full season without getting hurt.

When Allen went down last year in Week 1, the Rams were forced to move Coleman Shelton, the starting right guard, to center. Not only were the Rams losing one at injured starter at one position, they were losing a healthy starter at a second position. That shuffling along the offensive line became a common theme.

While the Rams won the Super Bowl the year after passing on Humphrey, they are feeling the repercussions of that decision now.

After the disaster that was the 2022 season on the offensive line, the Rams absolutely cannot put their eggs in the health basket, especially when it comes to Allen.

If the Rams are going to get the most out of Matthew Stafford, they need to be able to keep him upright and healthy. It’s true for all quarterbacks, but looking at the chart below, the difference in Stafford’s level with and without protection is pretty obvious

The Rams need to rebuild part of the offensive line this offseason. Outside of Rob Havenstein starting at right tackle, everything should be on the table. That starts with building up the interior and finding an elite center.

Heading into this draft process, there’s another center who’s drawing comparisons to Humphrey. That player is John Michael Schmitz out of Minnesota. Schmitz was Pro Football Focus’ highest-graded college center, recording the highest run-blocking grade. Among centers with over 700 snaps, he only allowed eight pressures last season at Minnesota which was the 13th fewest in all of college football.

This is a player that can transform an offensive line. As the Rams experienced with John Sullivan early in the McVay era and with Brian Allen in 2021 to an extent, it’s so important to have a center that can provide stability.

The Rams currently hold the 36th overall pick in the 2023 NFL Draft. Schmitz improved his draft stock during the Senior Bowl, but there’s still a pretty good chance that he’s available with the Rams get on the clock.

There are other potential needs at wide receiver as the Rams could use an option behind Cooper Kupp or even running back as there are questions about Cam Akers. However, in the NFL, it all starts up front along the offensive line.

In both years that the Rams have had an elite offensive line under Sean McVay, they’ve made the Super Bowl. If John Michael Schmitz is available with the 36th overall pick, Snead and the Rams can’t make the same mistake that they did with Creed Humphrey.
Snead has had his share of “WTF” moments for me. I’ve lost faith in him. I hope he can restore it.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Snead has had his share of “WTF” moments for me. I’ve lost faith in him. I hope he can restore it.
Rams 2022 Draft was mostly injured before the season began.

In 2022 the 2021 Draft only produced one player to start last season.

In 2022 the 2020 Draft produced nothing but injured sideline players.

In 2022 the 2019 Draft was not much better than the 2020 draft there are Gaines but the rest are not good players.

Conclusion of the last 4 Snead/McVay Drafts .....Failure!:thumbsdown::weary::bomb:

Last edited:

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Wtf is this? Told y'all the media is throwing bullshit out there. Whoever wrote that shit should get a frozen dildo tossed smack dab across the face with the velocity of a scud missle.
What will your take be on it if we end up getting a 2nd round pick and change for him. I'm curious. Imagine the trade goes down that way.

Also I wouldn't be getting my Rams information reading Ellenbogen or his garbage ass website either. That dude never has a good take on what's ahead. Good chance that trend will continue here no matter how much he tries to brand his opinion.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
There are signs that Young may ultimately have a long, successful NFL career. He could be another outlier. But measurables and traits are priorities during the draft process. And Young simply doesn't have classic measurable or out-of-this world traits, which make him one of the more polarizing possible No. 1 overall picks in a long time.
What will be interesting is what the Colts do if they can't move up. Because there's a chance they're gonna be sitting there staring at Young. Would you take him at 4 overall?

I honestly am not sure. He does some great things out there on the field but his size is a serious problem I think. But boy do the Colts need a QB badly. Feels like things are lined up for some drama for that team. :laugh2:

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
What will your take be on it if we end up getting a 2nd round pick and change for him. I'm curious. Imagine the trade goes down that way.

Also I wouldn't be getting my Rams information reading Ellenbogen or his garbage ass website either. That dude never has a good take on what's ahead. Good chance that trend will continue here no matter how much he tries to brand his opinion.
To be honest, I'd be pissed as I think he's worth more than that. I want at least a high to mid 1st at worst with another 2 picks in there.... personally I wish we could convince the Lions to give up both 1sts for Ramsey if the Rams decide they are going to trade him. If it goes down the way you say tho, I'll bitch, but get over it, hopefully lol, cuz it doesn't change that it happened. At that point I hope we hit on FAs and the draft because we sorely need it.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

He's better than that Blaine clown at ShitShowTimes at least :D

Also I'll be pissed if we trade him at all. If we only get a 2nd it's a fucking travesty.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto

In 2022 the 2019 Draft was not much better than the 2020 draft there are Gaines but the rest are not good players.

Conclusion of the last 4 Snead/McVay Drafts .....Failure!:thumbsdown::weary::bomb:
You are both exactly where I'm at. I'm quickly losing faith in Snead. He really needs to hit a HR this off-season to have a fighting chance to make the playoffs. But we're surely far from SB contention anymore.

We've missed on far too many draft picks the last 3 years to be able to fill the holes we have.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You are both exactly where I'm at. I'm quickly losing faith in Snead. He really needs to hit a HR this off-season to have a fighting chance to make the playoffs. But we're surely far from SB contention anymore.

We've missed on far too many draft picks the last 3 years to be able to fill the holes we have.
He shoulda been fired with me...

haZvNNh.gif

Tano

Legend
Bryce Young is pretty small.

HEIGHTWEIGHT
Bryce Young, 20235-10 1/8204
Kyler Murray, 20195-10 1/8207
Baker Mayfield, 20186-0 5/8215
Russell Wilson, 20125-11204
Drew Brees, 20016-0213

NFL Combine 2023: Analyzing Bryce Young's historically slight frame and whether teams should be concerned​

In theory, when a quarterback is getting No. 1 overall hype, teams want all the boxes to be checked. Alabama quarterback Bryce Young won't be able to check all the boxes.

The 21-year-old is incredibly poised beyond his years. He throws with NFL-veteran-level anticipation and creates off structure as a runner and outside-the-pocket passer naturally as any quarterback prospect since Patrick Mahomes.

Young, too, will be unprecedentedly small for the position as a professional. Especially for a top-tier quarterback prospect. And that will undoubtedly scare teams considering the former Heisman winner within the first few selections of the 2023 NFL Draft. But does height and weight matter at the quarterback position in the NFL? With Young, the answer is complicated.

At the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis on Saturday, Young's official measurements were as followed: 5-foot-10 and 1/8 inch tall weighing 204 pounds with 9 and 1/2 inch hands. Here's how Young compares to some notably small, high-caliber quarterback prospects measured in at their respective combines over the past 25 years.

For those concerned about Young's size, he has almost identical measurements to Kyler Murray, who the Arizona Cardinals took No. 1 overall in the 2019 NFL Draft. And even if teams shy away from Young's slight frame, is there a reason to?.

As an evaluator, I don't grade specifically on size alone at the quarterback position. Size, directly, does not hinder or elevate a quarterback at the NFL level. It's what typically comes with size -- or lack thereof -- that does either of those things. Usually, large quarterbacks have stronger arms and the opposite is true with those who lack size.

In the case of Wilson, Mayfield and Murray, they were exceptions. Each had above-average NFL arms despite falling well short of normal starting quarterback size standards. If you simply watched the velocity of the ball out of their hands, or how effortless they ripped it downfield, you would've never guessed they were right around 6-0. Brees was an outlier because of his lightning-quick processing and surgical accuracy, one of the most striking combinations of that kind in NFL history.

The red-flaggy problem with Young is, he doesn't have a big arm and isn't ridiculously accurate with the football at all levels. That scares me. There's a difference between being short and being small. Young is the smallest of the above group of quarterbacks and doesn't have a monster arm. Yes, he reads the field well and doesn't have ball-placement issues. He's nowhere near as accurate as Brees was, and while he ad-libs awesomely, he doesn't possess Murray's explosiveness or top-end speed.

There's no concrete evidence that suggests larger quarterbacks stay healthier than smaller ones, but a body like Young's feels more susceptible to injury on big hits from large defenders than a 6-4, 220-pound passer.

Size for Wilson, Mayfield and Murray didn't bother me. At all, really. They all were highly productive quarterbacks with strong arms -- by NFL standards -- and had standout quarterback traits. Young's creativity, accuracy and anticipation are outstanding. His arm strength is not special. His change-of-direction is, but he doesn't fly, and to be a competent scrambler in today's NFL, you have to be really, really fast.

I think Bryce Young was standing on his tip toes to be 5 10. I know Kyler Murray had to be

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott

What did they produce in 20' & 21'?

Seems to me Jones, Gaines, Edwards, Scott, Akers, Jefferson, Allen, Niteboom, and even Rapp were productive....especially last yr.

In the SB Hopkins stepped up.

Last yr Atwell and Skowronek flashed and played much better. Bobby Brown also to some extent.

UDFA's Hoecht & A.Jackson looked good and appear to have a future.

Those are just the one's off the top of my head.

So I think you are being a bit harsh.