49'ers 2022/23 San Francisco 49’ers Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

there's no way the whiners are going with lance and purdy next season. purdy won't play and lance maybe can't play. unless they sign some other qb, jimmy g is their realistic option next season.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

there's no way the whiners are going with lance and purdy next season. purdy won't play and lance maybe can't play. unless they sign some other qb, jimmy g is their realistic option next season.

Jimmy Garoppolo Potentially Returning to the 49ers is Zero​

Looks like the Jimmy Garoppolo era with the San Francisco 49ers is finally coming to an indefinite close. 49ers head coach Kyle Shanahan and John Lynch held their exit press conference on Wednesday where Shanahan gave a simple answer on Garoppolo returning.

"I don't see any scenario of that."

Garoppolo potentially returning to the 49ers is zero. That is how I interpreted the answer from Shanahan with Lynch refraining to add to it. Now, we have seen this scenario play out before. The 49ers swore that Garoppolo returning was dead in the water as they were looking for a suitor in a trade for him with Trey Lance taking over.

dang

Legend

Hind sight 20/20 G-string was the perfect QB for Coach Ratboy. Dink/dunk, dink/dunk, idiot savant who is satisfied with just doing what’s asked of him They can’t draft high again for a QB so what other FA is available that can do better? Mayfield? Zach Wilson? G-string makes the most sense but not sure SF sees it that way.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Jimmy photographed laughing and smiling on the sideline during that sweet beatdown sure didn't help the resigning situation. That could have been some fake news photo floating around, but, it was still a damaging image for the franchise.

Last edited:

dang

Legend
Jimmy photographed laughing and smiling on the sideline during that sweet beatdown sure didn't help the resigning situation. That could have been some fake news photo floating around, but, it was still a damaging image for the franchise.
I’d like to know if that was in fact a photograph of G-string At Philadelphia last weekend If so that shit-eating grin has to rub anyone associated with the 69ers the wrong way.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
“I’m not playing for anyone.” - Tom Brady

“I’m not playing for you.” - Aaron Rodgers

“I’ll show myself out.” - Jimmy Garoppolo

“I’m not going to be ready to place next year.” - Brock Purdy

“I was your first choice, right? Guys? Right? Anyone?” - Trey Lance

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I think they might target Mayfield. He needs a rebuild on the mental side but look what he did with the Rams with no camp. Give him a camp with Ratboy and he would probably be an upgrade over all the QBs they have had under that regime.

He has the high end arm talent. Would have a strong run game too. Hope that doesn't happen.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I think they might target Mayfield. He needs a rebuild on the mental side but look what he did with the Rams with no camp. Give him a camp with Ratboy and he would probably be an upgrade over all the QBs they have had under that regime.

He has the high end arm talent. Would have a strong run game too. Hope that doesn't happen.
Yep. I said this a few months ago, it makes too much sense.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Kyle is almost borderline hostile when he talks about Jimmy G. Frankly it seems weird, especially considering how much the Niners win with him at QB. What’s his beef with No. 10? — Joshua L.
There’s no doubt, even among Shanahan’s other short and sharp answers in that presser, his brisk shutdown of “any scenario” that could lead to Garoppolo returning to the 49ers this offseason was an attention-getter. And to me, the fact that Lynch didn’t immediately jump in with a more diplomatic response only underlined the possibility that something had gone a bit askew in this long and complicated saga.

Garoppolo won 42 combined regular-season (38-17 record) and postseason (4-2) games for the 49ers. He could’ve been a Super Bowl MVP if he’d made one or two more plays a few years ago. He’s always been a very popular figure in the locker room. It wasn’t wrong to expect something a little warmer from the 49ers’ brass for Garoppolo’s franchise exit, right?

Well, I checked around the team and discovered: Yes, the relationship between Garoppolo and Shanahan/Lynch seems to have gone a bit south in the days or weeks leading up to the NFC Championship Game loss in Philadelphia. I don’t know if there was a specific blow-up or conversation that led to this. I don’t know what the main issue was. We know that Garoppolo won a lot of games in his six seasons with the 49ers and partially bailed them out this season by agreeing to come back after believing he was going to get traded or cut last offseason.

If I was to make a knowledgeable guess, I’d say that the mood was always a little questionable this season between Garoppolo and Shanahan. They’ve never been especially close, even while they were winning. But they worked very well together for long stretches over this period. The personality differences were part of why this worked. Until Garoppolo got hurt. Then hurt again. Then hurt again. And in between all that, Shanahan and Lynch traded a ton of stuff to move up to acquire his replacement, Trey Lance. And even after Garoppolo jumped back in after Lance was hurt this season, Shanahan daydreamed about Brock Purdy playing one day and then Garoppolo got hurt again and Purdy did play quite well.
Finally, Shanahan and Lynch decided to keep Garoppolo on the active roster all through December and January after his injury, hoping (believing?) he could come back from his foot injury at some point during the playoffs to provide insurance in case of a Purdy injury. They could’ve used that roster spot for somebody else, maybe defensive tackle Hassan Ridgeway. But Shanahan and Lynch saved it for Garoppolo, who tried and couldn’t get healthy enough to be Purdy’s backup in the conference title game. And then Purdy got hurt.

Again, I don’t know that any of this directly led to Shanahan’s abrupt answer about Garoppolo and, before that, Garoppolo bypassing the media during locker-room clean-out day last week, but I imagine this was part of the atmosphere around the two.

Which maybe is the perfect weird way to end the extended high/low Garoppolo era with the 49ers. There was no chance Garoppolo was sticking around again as the 49ers’ backup in 2023, and there was also no chance that Shanahan or Lynch would’ve wanted him to once Purdy emerged as a quality starter. Shanahan’s terse answer was just the official notification of this.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

Kyle is almost borderline hostile when he talks about Jimmy G. Frankly it seems weird, especially considering how much the Niners win with him at QB. What’s his beef with No. 10? — Joshua L.
There’s no doubt, even among Shanahan’s other short and sharp answers in that presser, his brisk shutdown of “any scenario” that could lead to Garoppolo returning to the 49ers this offseason was an attention-getter. And to me, the fact that Lynch didn’t immediately jump in with a more diplomatic response only underlined the possibility that something had gone a bit askew in this long and complicated saga.

Garoppolo won 42 combined regular-season (38-17 record) and postseason (4-2) games for the 49ers. He could’ve been a Super Bowl MVP if he’d made one or two more plays a few years ago. He’s always been a very popular figure in the locker room. It wasn’t wrong to expect something a little warmer from the 49ers’ brass for Garoppolo’s franchise exit, right?

Well, I checked around the team and discovered: Yes, the relationship between Garoppolo and Shanahan/Lynch seems to have gone a bit south in the days or weeks leading up to the NFC Championship Game loss in Philadelphia. I don’t know if there was a specific blow-up or conversation that led to this. I don’t know what the main issue was. We know that Garoppolo won a lot of games in his six seasons with the 49ers and partially bailed them out this season by agreeing to come back after believing he was going to get traded or cut last offseason.

If I was to make a knowledgeable guess, I’d say that the mood was always a little questionable this season between Garoppolo and Shanahan. They’ve never been especially close, even while they were winning. But they worked very well together for long stretches over this period. The personality differences were part of why this worked. Until Garoppolo got hurt. Then hurt again. Then hurt again. And in between all that, Shanahan and Lynch traded a ton of stuff to move up to acquire his replacement, Trey Lance. And even after Garoppolo jumped back in after Lance was hurt this season, Shanahan daydreamed about Brock Purdy playing one day and then Garoppolo got hurt again and Purdy did play quite well.
Finally, Shanahan and Lynch decided to keep Garoppolo on the active roster all through December and January after his injury, hoping (believing?) he could come back from his foot injury at some point during the playoffs to provide insurance in case of a Purdy injury. They could’ve used that roster spot for somebody else, maybe defensive tackle Hassan Ridgeway. But Shanahan and Lynch saved it for Garoppolo, who tried and couldn’t get healthy enough to be Purdy’s backup in the conference title game. And then Purdy got hurt.

Again, I don’t know that any of this directly led to Shanahan’s abrupt answer about Garoppolo and, before that, Garoppolo bypassing the media during locker-room clean-out day last week, but I imagine this was part of the atmosphere around the two.

Which maybe is the perfect weird way to end the extended high/low Garoppolo era with the 49ers. There was no chance Garoppolo was sticking around again as the 49ers’ backup in 2023, and there was also no chance that Shanahan or Lynch would’ve wanted him to once Purdy emerged as a quality starter. Shanahan’s terse answer was just the official notification of this.
I wonder if it’s similar to the McVay/Akers situation. I’ve read in the past that Garapolo doesn’t keep in contact with the Niners in the off-season. He does his own thing. Maybe that gives Shanahan the sense that Jimmy isn’t urgent enough about getting back to playing shape. Maybe a team trainer said he should be able to make it back from the foot injury, in time for the playoffs, then Jimmy didn’t.

Kyle could resent Garapolo for late game failures in the playoffs too. This could be perceived as another one. It’s likely an accumulation of things.

What’s hilarious was they were talking about getting a first round pick or two for him last off-season.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
It's funny how their weakness was QB but after another season it was still Jimmy G driving the clown car. They should have jettisoned his ass last year but some moron in the Shitters front office (probably the owner) felt they could get value from him.

Now they all have this joint delusion that they've found the next Joe Montana, but that kid might not be as good as they think he is. So here they go again, making the same old mistakes in not putting enough priority on fixing QB.

What worries me is there's gonna be some castoffs available this year that can upgrade them and Ratboy will almost surely get a better QB. But hopefully they will choose poorly with someone like Matt Ryan who shits his pants if the rush gets near him.

BuffaloRam

Pro Bowler
It's funny how their weakness was QB but after another season it was still Jimmy G driving the clown car. They should have jettisoned his ass last year but some moron in the Shitters front office (probably the owner) felt they could get value from him.

Now they all have this joint delusion that they've found the next Joe Montana, but that kid might not be as good as they think he is. So here they go again, making the same old mistakes in not putting enough priority on fixing QB.

What worries me is there's gonna be some castoffs available this year that can upgrade them and Ratboy will almost surely get a better QB. But hopefully they will choose poorly with someone like Matt Ryan who shits his pants if the rush gets near him.
Brock Purdy reminds me of a famous 6th rounder taken in the 2000 draft…

Marc Bulger.