2021 LA Rams Hindsight Draft - You're the GM

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
What's funny is people who put their opinions out there are called out for having the audacity to do it. None of us think we're infallible but we have opinions and have no problem voicing them. I have never claimed to be perfect or an NFL GM or coach of any kind. But last I checked I can still have opinions on what this club I and everybody else here has devoted a lot of time and emotion into. I won't ever apologize for having an opinion or sharing it. People can passive aggressively attack us and that's fine. They can lie and say things like we all hated Cam Akers last year which is just plain false. Most of us thought there were better picks at that spot the team could use. We all recognized he was talented and used to running behind a bad line. We probably questioned why spend a 3rd round pick the year before to only spend a 2nd on Akers, wondering what it meant for Henderson. It's all good in the end. I'm happy to admit when I was wrong just like you and those others of us that put our opinions out for people to read.
What's funny is people who put their opinions out there are called out for having the audacity to do it. None of us think we're infallible but we have opinions and have no problem voicing them. I have never claimed to be perfect or an NFL GM or coach of any kind. But last I checked I can still have opinions on what this club I and everybody else here has devoted a lot of time and emotion into. I won't ever apologize for having an opinion or sharing it. People can passive aggressively attack us and that's fine. They can lie and say things like we all hated Cam Akers last year which is just plain false. Most of us thought there were better picks at that spot the team could use. We all recognized he was talented and used to running behind a bad line. We probably questioned why spend a 3rd round pick the year before to only spend a 2nd on Akers, wondering what it meant for Henderson. It's all good in the end. I'm happy to admit when I was wrong just like you and those others of us that put our opinions out for people to read.

I want to say something here, because I have mentioned both last year's reaction to Akers and I have mentioned being turned off by (what I see as) over-the-top negative reactions and so I want to make sure to clarify my point of view.

For me personally, I know not everyone hated the Akers pick or didn't like the player - but it's not a lie that the initial response to his selection was met with plenty of smug dissatisfaction. I know because he was my favorite pick and while I was stoked, the general consensus was "bad value" or something like that...

I have been consistently concerned about this regimes O-line since Saffold left. I have wanted above all else to strengthen our line into an elite unit. I wasn't sold on Edward's, Evans and was not that high on Noteboom either going into last offseason. Some posters here were adamant that our line was in good shape going forward, I shouldn't worry. Then last season I watched as weakness in our interior line and lack of explosive speed outside combined to force McVay (and Goff) to essentially give up on the deep option. Goff played a role in this too, but it was a team problem, not just a QB problem.

I share many of the popular opinions about what we need or what the concerns are.... but under McVay, there has been method to most of what feels like madness to us fans.

I know you know this - everyone knows this- but the NFL isn't about winning the draft. Evaluating and mocking drafts is a fun exercise but it stops being fun when fans lose their shit because the professionals didn't do what the amateurs thought they should/would, whatever.
Fans risk nothing. Our projections and expectations are formed with a fraction of the information the pros have...
I like that Snead and McVay have a plan that goes deeper than "biggest needs + top rated player available at that position = who we should draft."
That kind of strategy will work sometimes but it's also how you end up missing on Jason Smith and Greg Robinson and you've flushed the 2nd pick in the draft down the toilet twice in a few short years and you still don't have a LT.

There are some very knowledgeable fans here. People who have proven to have a great feel for drafts and prospects and they make this site great too. That's where I stand on that.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
Not sure how you could have done that.

K.C. gave-up a late #1 and took back a late #2, with several mid-round picks added. I believe the Chiefs also gave up their #3 and #4.

When The Ravens told Brown and his reps back in February that they could pursue a trade, I was also hoping the Rams could get involved, thinking Havenstein and/or Kupp were viable trade-chips. That was before Kup restructured and trading him would have provided significant cap relief. Thought he would be an excellent compliment to Hollywood Brown and give Lamar Jackson a reliable option and the type of WR Baltimore did not seem to have.
Plus he wants to play LT.
Plus he was extended to a toon of $20ish million a year.
Plus as you said we didn’t have to draft picks to get him.
Plus McVay says the OLine is fine with what we have.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
DJax, Kiser, SJD, and Williams may all be gone next year - we drafted their replacements with our first four picks.

Many have been concerned about TE, and our special teams were horrific last year, so then we drafted a developmental TE/ST player. Those were all our picks on the first four rounds.

The pick of Brown in the 5th provides depth this year while preparing for A'Shawn/SJD to leave.

Those six picks were clearly all future need type picks, but double as either rotational guys this year and/or special teams contributors.

The 7th round guys were all special teams, but all are probably going to head to the practice squad unless they come in and amaze.

Retaining Corbett will go a long way toward solidifying our OL beyond this year, so I'd imagine that's the next highest priority.

Humphrey was there at #57.
Yes, but I just couldn’t pull the trigger that early for him. I would’ve been pissed I waited and went from there—if I’m being honest about it.

dang

Legend
I think they had Eskridge in the second and tutu in the third. Most rankings had each a round later. I think rams thought they had eskridge in second. When seattle took them the rams tried to trade back. Not too far as they didnt want tutu stolen. Say Ten spots. That is why they used every second of the clock. So they took tutu earlier then they wanted because their number one priority was to get a field stretcher
Another reason to hate the Seahags. Especially when everyone else was indicating how desperately they needed OL.

Ram65

Legend
I didn't spend any time this year on the draft. I always appreciate members that get into the draft and post about the many players available including their favorites. It's always a great way to catch up on players. This thread is always interesting too.

I liked last year's draft. Akers proved to be a great pick. Jefferson showed some good signs and Lewis can become a monster that I think was worth the risk. A little puzzling that they didn't go for ILber and OC last year.

This year they went for the ILber similar to what they have but, maybe a little better. I guess it's to find that speed hard-hitting player that can go sideline to sideline and cover late in round two. Hope he can become a solid starter soon. They still didn't draft an OC. They are being consistent.

I remember the thread about the Rams lacking a big jump ball pass catcher. I didn't see it as a big need for either this year. Higbee and Hopkins add some height. Funny how they drafted a small fast WR early on and big WR/TE types later on getting speed and height. I guess the Rams thought they needed both more speed and height for the near future.

We all know the draft is a crapshoot. The Rams to my dismay at times have traded early-round picks and spent lots of money to get top-quality players. It seems to have worked out. Whether we agree or not the Rams always seem to draft with conviction and a plan. At the least, they went for some good special teamers that they need. They seem to target a lot of future needs with possible benefits this year.