2021 LA Rams Hindsight Draft - You're the GM

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dang

Legend
I’m moving forward. My res search (online, Lindys Draft mag) clearly is not in synch with the Rams experienced, capable scouting team. The 3 WR and 0 OL selections are perplexing. In fact they piss me off when I see what we missed for OL. I’m warming up to Tutu but NO one can convince me he was a value pick at R2.57. IMO McSnead panicked once Eskridge was selected. Time will tell if he will be more than a Tavon II. I do like the defense run for R3/R4 picks. Rams have a lot of roster spots so I hope they add some serious competition. And they better be hot on picking up a FA CB as they look painfully thin.

dang

Legend
One question for the forum. I see we picked up Alaric Jackson OT Iowa. He looks to be a very solid pickup. Projected R4 prospect. How do the Rams decide to pass on him yet pick up a 3rd WR and a jag RB. Both likely to be fighting for a ST spot? It really confuses me. Thoughts?

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
One question for the forum. I see we picked up Alaric Jackson OT Iowa. He looks to be a very solid pickup. Projected R4 prospect. How do the Rams decide to pass on him yet pick up a 3rd WR and a jag RB. Both likely to be fighting for a ST spot? It really confuses me. Thoughts?

If Skowronek (the third receiver) manages to get a job, it'll be as an H-back. I think Mundt, Blanton, and Hopkins need to step up or they'll lose their jobs to him and Harris.

Ellard80

Legend
i dont really get bent out of shape about the draft... honestly people love the fantasy aspect of this stuff.

But in reality its a crap shoot and I don't really think about it much.

Some people really seem to get emotional about it.. but it just doesn't really get me all that interested anymore.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
I’m moving forward. My res search (online, Lindys Draft mag) clearly is not in synch with the Rams experienced, capable scouting team. The 3 WR and 0 OL selections are perplexing. In fact they piss me off when I see what we missed for OL. I’m warming up to Tutu but NO one can convince me he was a value pick at R2.57. IMO McSnead panicked once Eskridge was selected. Time will tell if he will be more than a Tavon II. I do like the defense run for R3/R4 picks. Rams have a lot of roster spots so I hope they add some serious competition. And they better be hot on picking up a FA CB as they look painfully thin.
They had informed Tutu before the draft that there was a good possibility that they would draft him in round 2, as stated on on the nfl draft show.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
If Skowronek (the third receiver) manages to get a job, it'll be as an H-back. I think Mundt, Blanton, and Hopkins need to step up or they'll lose their jobs to him and Harris.
I’m not too worried about Hopkins, as he still fits that mold they’re looking for to go along with Stafford. But Mundt and Blanton should be nervous.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Rams certainly outdrafted me last year. But that's the fun of this. You put your opinions out there and see how it goes. If you can't handle being wrong, following the draft is the wrong hobby to have.

I agree, but that doesn't stop people who can't admit they're wrong from having strong opinions about a draft class.

Its easy for me to mostly look at the bright side because I don't watch any college football outside of Ohio State.

And I get being passionate about moves that the Rams make - I certainly am.

But the draft is such a crapshoot with so many variables, and it's actually impossible for a fan to be right and organization to be wrong because they don't have the same information - it's like playing two different games. The team is putting in more time and resources than probably their entire fanbase combined, as well as talking to the player and people/coaches he's played with - all to basically, from a fan perspective, answer this question: will he or will he not be a good player?

Take Atwell for example - the Rams probably invested a ton of time watching film, talking to him and his coaches and decided he was not only worth the pick, but (presumably) not worth risking in a trade down first and draft later scenario. Meanwhile fans on here who have probably watched 1 hour of film or less - and most likely not any film that the coaches had access to - just say "bad pick he will be tackled by the wind" - and it's just going to be one of two outcomes: either he will have been worth the pick or not, so any fan has a 50/50 shot at being right.

I love reading everyone's opinions, but if people have the audacity to slam a move that the Rams have put 100 times more thought and have 100 times the information that a fan does, then id also expect the fan to admit when they're wrong.

You admitting the Rams out drafted you last year is the first time I've seen someone actually post that.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
No idea. Good question too. My guess would be that they think they're going to go with a tight OL count and he probably won't make the roster. But teams types might make the roster, especially if they prioritize special teams at the bottom with the final cuts.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I love reading everyone's opinions, but if people have the audacity to slam a move that the Rams have put 100 times more thought and have 100 times the information that a fan does, then id also expect the fan to admit when they're wrong.
I get irritated when the whining is overdone. But when you post with people for years and we all know that we're all true fans of this team letting them blow off steam is no big deal. Also trying not to take things personal helps there.

Everyone's got their break points though. Some get pissed at the whining in gameday threads. Some get triggered by the player move whining, or the draft, or hating on specific people on the team, etc.

We all do it man. We all act like know-it-alls time to time. And if you don't well congrats. But this board would suck without the strong opinions.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I get irritated when the whining is overdone. But when you post with people for years and we all know that we're all true fans of this team letting them blow off steam is no big deal. Also trying not to take things personal helps there.

Everyone's got their break points though. Some get pissed at the whining in gameday threads. Some get triggered by the player move whining, or the draft, or hating on specific people on the team, etc.

We all do it man. We all act like know-it-alls time to time. And if you don't well congrats. But this board would suck without the strong opinions.
My favorite part is the people making the arrogant assumption that because we disagree with a pick we think we're smarter or better than McVay or Snead. Fact is that's just ignorant. It simply means in our amateur opinion we'd have done it differently. It may me we think there are people who would have been a better pick at that position.

It's also very fun expressing your opinion, being challenged on it and actually defending your position then being told you're a whiny angry POS. And yes you can deny it all you want but you and others have made comments challenging peoples fandom.

The claims that because we disagreed with a pick say Atwell we disagreed with Kupp and Akers etc etc. are particularly absurd.

Just so much fun participating on this board when there are a handful of people sitting in the cheap seats who only want to take shots at people especially without actually talking to those people.

RAMBUSH

Starter

True that ! There would be no strong opinions . As long as your a ram lover I got no beef listening to anyone's strong opinion. P.s. I hate the whiners, seachickens, and the little red birds. Along with patriots, steelers,eagles, saints, etc.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I disagree, at least if Corbett becomes Center we get a little bigger, and if Anchrum or Brewer replace Corbett at RG, that's either a 320 or 314 pounder. And both Whitworth & Havenstein are listed at 330lbs. Count me as not worried ...

Well, all I can say is that I hope you are right. Believe me, I want to be wrong, but I really think we should have spent some draft capital on the OL.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Definitely trade our whole draft to land Landon Dickerson before the friggin Iggles at #37. Less draft picks means more opportunities to get those UDFA wr’s and de’s!

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Snead hates drafting Oline?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
But the draft is such a crapshoot with so many variables, and it's actually impossible for a fan to be right and organization to be wrong because they don't have the same information - it's like playing two different games. The team is putting in more time and resources than probably their entire fanbase combined, as well as talking to the player and people/coaches he's played with - all to basically, from a fan perspective, answer this question: will he or will he not be a good player?
It's definitely not impossible for a fan to be right and the organization to be wrong. Teams overthink things. And sometimes, teams are led by incompetent people. Our team isn't led by incompetent people, but it's certainly possible for them to overthink a selection. Think of it as like the stock market. Amateurs with less information sometimes beat the professionals who have more information. Sometimes, it's luck. Sometimes, it's because the amateur is good and the professional is not. Sometimes, both are good and the amateur simply is better for a period of time.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Funk is going to be an interesting pick if given a chance. He is local to me and been warching him truck kids (including my good friends son, who was 250 lbs at the time) since high school. That kid is made of granite.... The whole family is. Also, he is fast as fuck in pads. One of my fave MD players as of late.
Funk is a big addition to special teams. Wouldn’t surprise me to see him win the job as a kick returner. He’s fast. McVay won’t risk DSJ or Tutu in that role, he will want them on the field in the offense.

TexasRam

Legend

I appreciate the posture. Realizing we all have different views but the same end goal of Rams winning is a solid mindset. Hey, even I'll admit I get overly negative and whiny at times about what I think is right, and have to reel it in some times. No one wants excessive whining or criticizing our players or coaches, or know it all attitudes. But we should be able to air our opinions and have a little bit of leash to vent to an extent, as long as we don't make it personal which I myself am guilty of.

Having said that, one of my gripes is the idea that coaches and GM's can't royally screw up. It happens all the time. Even the so called greatest evaluator Mike Mayock and Football Guru Chuckie have really layed some eggs in recent drafts and Free agency and had an embarrasment of a high school defense running around last year due to missed picks and personnel evaluations. How did Joyner and Littleton work out for them? How bout Clelin Ferrel?

I completely agree with Jrry that overthinking drafts and evaluations happen all the time. I think good evaluators are the exception not the rule. GM's like Ozzie Newson are rare.

Perhaps Snead and Mcvay should be given more credit for the strategy of selling picks for proven players, because the draft really is a crapshoot. But the Tutu pick is hard to stomach just from that standpoint of who was on the board and the fact that he has zero chance of being a starting player due to his size, at least from my vantage point.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
So much to research on some of these picks.

I’d like to hear from the Rams where they saw Atwell vs Eskridge. Did they rank him above Eskridge? They probably did.

The flashbacks to Tavon Austin are understandable and wonder if we’d view the pick differently if not for that?

I also think for Rams fans the Atwell pick surprised many, and that sort of set the tone for the whole perception of the draft.

For me, I am intrigued by the following stretch of picks. I think both Jones and Rochell could see solid snaps in 2021.

Harris strikes me as “a classic 2021 pick” in that he is a TE project but could also be an out-of-nowhere type. Or at least that would be the hope.

Round 3 Pick #40 - Ernest Jones LB South Carolina
Round 4 Pick #25 - Robert Rochell CB Central Arkansas
Round 4 Pick #36 - Jacob Harris WR Central Florida

So goes Atwell, so goes the ceiling for our draft grade in all likelihood.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I did not follow the draft much this year because the Rams picked so late in every round. However, I usually get excited about their picks once I read about them and hear comments from you folks. And then the grades from the "professionals" come in, and the Rams usually do ok. This year, however, I have some real concerns.