2021 LA Rams Hindsight Draft - You're the GM

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Here's mine:
Round 2 Pick #25 - Pete Werner ILB Ohio State
Round 3 Pick #25 (no trade) - Quinn Meinerz OL Wisconsin-Whitewater
Round 3 Pick #40 - Traded to Tennessee for the Pick #109 deal (#126, #166, and #232)
Round 4 Pick #21 - Tommy Togiai DL Ohio State
Round 4 Pick #36 - Shaun Wade CB/S Ohio State
Round 5 Pick #22 - Stone Forsythe OT Florida
Round 6 Pick #25 - Quincy Roche OLB Miami
Round 7 Pick #4 - Tre Nixon WR Central Florida
Round 7 Pick #25 - Tamorrion Terry WR Florida State

This just makes it so much worse.

(Insert crying over a bowl of cereal emoji.)

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
I thought we would take Creed Humphrey and failing that trade up for Drew Dalman to start the 3rd day (especially considering the Stanford connection)

I will feel much better if we sign a quality vet guard if, as seems likely, one shakes free following the draft. If that is their plan, it’s a good one!

As for the future, we have wisely collected our full allocation of discretionary picks in next years draft which is going to loaded!

So, we look set to challenge and could dominate for years: 1. with the right FA addition 2. one or two of this years draft making significant contributions 3. Much more Cap space in 2022 and 2023 4. Plenty of picks in a loaded 2022 draft

It's far too soon to look at the bright side of things.

dang

Legend
Yeah I don't really understand the question dang asked. We got him as a UDFA and the question is why didn't we draft him? Well, we got him as a UDFA so what's the problem? The 4th round grade mentioned was by people not doing the drafting. Everybody didn't draft this guy, so why would the Rams be judged negatively for not drafting him?
My question goes well beyond Jackson. It’s the Rams approach to OL in the draft. It appears he was a priority prospect and their #1 UDFA choice and yet they took a chance by not drafting him that he would be available. I just don’t see how they waited until the UDFA phase to pick up any OL. It’s appears purposeful and arrogant how little they put into adding anything to the OL.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Okay, I've decided that I'm gonna do this...albeit with the trades done by the Rams:

#57 overall - Nick Bolton, ILB, Missouri.

(Kansas City now has TWO of the linebackers I wanted (Willie Gay last year being the other one.) Bolton would've excelled in this system. He would've been a feared physical presence and good enough to cover in the backfield. I know that Humphrey, Myers and all are there, but I am NOT going to pass up a Missouri player who would've been incredible for us.)

#103 overall - Jaelon Darden, WR, North Texas.

(Since McVay wanted to take a speedy threat so high, here, I'll give him it. Darden was my prospect crush for a reason; he's got incredible wheels, incredible agility that people don't normally possess, and while, yes, he's tiny, he has the knowledge to run routes and has a solid catch radius. Tampa Bay just got their Antonio Brown replacement when he inevitably fucks up, and they'll be good to go for the next four years at least.)

#117 overall - Bobby Brown III, NT, Texas A&M.

(One of two picks I'll keep. BB3 reminds me of a young Albert Haynesworth, all the strengths, all the flaws. However, with him willing to work with Donald, I think he'll be a dominant force on the defensive line for at least the next four years, making us forget about Brockers.)

#130 overall - Robert Rochell, CB, Central Arkansas.

(The other pick I'll keep. Rochell reminds me of Marcus Peters without the piss-poor attitude. He has the ball skills and the willingness to stick his nose into the pile. I think he could easily make us forget Darious Williams when the latter inevitably leaves for free agency (and a third round comp pick).)

#141 overall - Dayvion Nixon, DE, Iowa.

(I like Jacob Harris, I really do, but Nixon being on the board this late changes things. I love his potential as a pass-rusher; he was arguably the best after Barmore. But he only had one year of production. Still, this would be a solid, solid pick for the Panthers.)

#174 overall - Michael Strachan, WR, Charleston.

(Here's our big receiver/small tight end. Strachan is big, fast, has great hands, but is raw and needs polish. He was my second want in this draft, and for good reason; I think he'll be a stud for Indy given time, and he'll give Carson Wentz an excellent target.)

#233 overall - Jermar Jefferson, RB, Oregon State.

(Let's be honest: Jefferson, Doaks, and Hill are all better players than Funk. I chose Jefferson because, hey, the last Oregon State running back we picked (some guy named Steven Jackson) turned out all right. The Lions got a steal.)

#249 overall - Drake Jackson, C, Kentucky.

(Yes, he was an undrafted free agent. Yes, he's thin for a center. I don't care; Jackson could absolutely play, and there's no reason he should've gone undrafted.)

#252 overall - Charles Snowden, OLB, Virginia.

(Also a better option than Chris Garrett. I couldn't believe that Snowden went undrafted. I don't know if it's medical or what, but he's a great player who I had a fourth round grade on.)

Kill me if you want for not taking an offensive lineman until the seventh, but at least I actually took one.

(Also, I reserve the right to keep the signing of Paris Ford as an undrafted free agent; I like him a lot, and I think he'd be excellent on special teams.)

So, there's my draft, hope you like it.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
the Rams did not resign Blythe even though he was a fairly inexpensive signing by the KC Chiefs.
That to me tells me that McVay did not trust his line (essentially Blythe) to be able to hold the block long enough for routes to go past 20 yards.
They needed a huge upgrade at Center for pass plays and Creed Humphrey was still there in the second round and Meinerz was still there in the third round. I believe these were huge mistakes. Last year I wanted Biadesz instead of Hopkins.

I would have liked Meinerz just for who he currently is, ... a LG.
I understand that there is a lot of apprehension over moving Corbett to Center, but it could easily become his best position, and I think most of us should be fairly impressed with how well he moved in and played/started at LG in 2019 and RG for 2020, both positions he had never played before in the NFL. Corbett's strength/size and build may be more suitable at Center, and we can now get bigger at OG as well as Center. Personally, I believe it's a brilliant move, although i've been wrong before, ... it looks like the more interesting battle may be for the back-up Center position, as the loser faces either being cut or the practice squad. jmo.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I just was never high on Humphrey like so many others were. His film is just as hit/miss as some other center prospects I've seen. You can tell where he and Myers went in round 2 was more about Green Bay and KC prioritizing needs and getting them right before round 3 where they were probably slated to go for most teams.

But passing on Meinerz bothered me. The Senior Bowl practices showed me a guy who could move his assignment. That is enormously valuable and something we don't have inside except for maybe Edwards. Meinerz is a positive dude too, seems like a nice locker room personality. I just think he's gonna be special and it's gonna suck watching him develop.
Agreed on Meinerz. I understand the NFL's apprehension around him. His 2019 film was uneven, and then his 2020 season was cancelled. So you're putting a lot of faith in his Senior Bowl performance, but I'd take that chance. Kid looked dominant against good talent. Humphrey is a rock solid dude, but I see Meinerz as the guy in this Draft who can be an elite Center. As you said, he moves people. And he seems like a great kid who works his ass off. I think we'll regret passing on him.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
So much to research on some of these picks.

I’d like to hear from the Rams where they saw Atwell vs Eskridge. Did they rank him above Eskridge? They probably did.

The flashbacks to Tavon Austin are understandable and wonder if we’d view the pick differently if not for that?

I also think for Rams fans the Atwell pick surprised many, and that sort of set the tone for the whole perception of the draft.

For me, I am intrigued by the following stretch of picks. I think both Jones and Rochell could see solid snaps in 2021.

Harris strikes me as “a classic 2021 pick” in that he is a TE project but could also be an out-of-nowhere type. Or at least that would be the hope.

Round 3 Pick #40 - Ernest Jones LB South Carolina
Round 4 Pick #25 - Robert Rochell CB Central Arkansas
Round 4 Pick #36 - Jacob Harris WR Central Florida

So goes Atwell, so goes the ceiling for our draft grade in all likelihood.
I question their sanity if they rated Atwell over Eskridge. Maybe they'll prove to be right and make me look stupid, but Eskridge is a guy built for the NFL.

rams1fan

Pro Bowler
I question their sanity if they rated Atwell over Eskridge. Maybe they'll prove to be right and make me look stupid, but Eskridge is a guy built for the NFL.
I dont think they did. I think Seattle sniped us.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah I'm with @rams1fan here. Eskridge was probably their guy. His teams impact would have been outstanding on top of what he adds to the mix at WR. He can be a gunner or a return option.

I think McVay was pissed. They probably had Tutu up high too of course, Snead would have had them move down then take him otherwise.

rams1fan

Pro Bowler
Yeah I'm with @rams1fan here. Eskridge was probably their guy. His teams impact would have been outstanding on top of what he adds to the mix at WR. He can be a gunner or a return option.

I think McVay was pissed. They probably had Tutu up high too of course, Snead would have had them move down then take him otherwise.
I think they had Eskridge in the second and tutu in the third. Most rankings had each a round later. I think rams thought they had eskridge in second. When seattle took them the rams tried to trade back. Not too far as they didnt want tutu stolen. Say Ten spots. That is why they used every second of the clock. So they took tutu earlier then they wanted because their number one priority was to get a field stretcher

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
I just was never high on Humphrey like so many others were. His film is just as hit/miss as some other center prospects I've seen. You can tell where he and Myers went in round 2 was more about Green Bay and KC prioritizing needs and getting them right before round 3 where they were probably slated to go for most teams.

But passing on Meinerz bothered me. The Senior Bowl practices showed me a guy who could move his assignment. That is enormously valuable and something we don't have inside except for maybe Edwards. Meinerz is a positive dude too, seems like a nice locker room personality. I just think he's gonna be special and it's gonna suck watching him develop.
And see this is where I think the Rams messed up. I personally liked and wanted Creed which is obvious by all my posts, but isn't the most worrisome part. Its the fact that they didn't even attempt to address the line at all. If they took anyone no later than our 3rd round pick, then I would have felt much better. The Rams messing up is purely my opinion and I'll stand by it saying they screwed the pooch. However, the Rams have every opportunity to prove us doubters wrong and if they do, I'll proudly eat crow. I guess I've just never been of the mind that their drafting prowess is so damn good that I'm never going to question it. Some people are ok with trusting the FO and that's ok. It all makes for interesting convo but since I like to talk shit as a hobby too, I know I'm going to prove to all your candy asses that I'm right and your wrong hahahahahaha

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think they had Eskridge in the second and tutu in the third. Most rankings had each a round later. I think rams thought they had eskridge in second. When seattle took them the rams tried to trade back. Not too far as they didnt want tutu stolen. Say Ten spots. That is why they used every second of the clock. So they took tutu earlier then they wanted because their number one priority was to get a field stretcher
Snead's not a big reach guy. It's one of his strengths. It has gotten him in hot water too.

Remember this year each team had more deviation than usual from the others. Rams always stay true to their board in terms of where to take their targets. I had Eskridge in round 3, but teams obviously had him higher. Rams taking Tutu there means they had him high.

Now whether they're right, we'll see.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And see this is where I think the Rams messed up. I personally liked and wanted Creed which is obvious by all my posts, but isn't the most worrisome part. Its the fact that they didn't even attempt to address the line at all. If they took anyone no later than our 3rd round pick, then I would have felt much better. The Rams messing up is purely my opinion and I'll stand by it saying they screwed the pooch. However, the Rams have every opportunity to prove us doubters wrong and if they do, I'll proudly eat crow. I guess I've just never been of the mind that their drafting prowess is so damn good that I'm never going to question it. Some people are ok with trusting the FO and that's ok. It all makes for interesting convo but since I like to talk shit as a hobby too, I know I'm going to prove to all your candy asses that I'm right and your wrong hahahahahaha
Saying people are just trusting the front office is kind of saying they're dipshits. At least from my perspective.

I'll use Creed for example. I put up his games in the draft crush thread. The guy is not special. Now I'm sure he'll be a good center in the NFL and he has value. But if you as a team see a guy that you think is an impact player that trumps a mediocre center prospect.

YOU think Creed's a superstar. But I don't. His film is average as fuck. So I disagree that we committed some sin by passing on him.

The guy who I do like, and it's projection just like you are doing with Creed, is Meinerz. We may both be wrong, or we may both be right. But I've been saying all along I want IMPACT with that pick. Not some mediocre guy who will settle in and have a long career. I want a guy who is going to Pro Bowls and shit. Just the way I see it man. No hard feelings and all that.

rams1fan

Pro Bowler
Snead's not a big reach guy. It's one of his strengths. It has gotten him in hot water too.

Remember this year each team had more deviation than usual from the others. Rams always stay true to their board in terms of where to take their targets. I had Eskridge in round 3, but teams obviously had him higher. Rams taking Tutu there means they had him high.

Now whether they're right, we'll see.
Oh i agree. Rams had eskridge in second but i think they had atwell in third. So it es not much of a reach. What snead is not is much of a bpa quy. If bpa is not a position of need he trade down. He draft for current need and next years needs.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
Saying people are just trusting the front office is kind of saying they're dipshits. At least from my perspective.

I'll use Creed for example. I put up his games in the draft crush thread. The guy is not special. Now I'm sure he'll be a good center in the NFL and he has value. But if you as a team see a guy that you think is an impact player that trumps a mediocre center prospect.

YOU think Creed's a superstar. But I don't. His film is average as fuck. So I disagree that we committed some sin by passing on him.

The guy who I do like, and it's projection just like you are doing with Creed, is Meinerz. We may both be wrong, or we may both be right. But I've been saying all along I want IMPACT with that pick. Not some mediocre guy who will settle in and have a long career. I want a guy who is going to Pro Bowls and shit. Just the way I see it man. No hard feelings and all that.
Nah it's all good. Not calling people dipshits for trusting the front office as I do too with the exception for the offensive line lol. For example, I feel way more trusting in them drafting secondary talent which they've been damn good at. Our coaching staff is good on playing to our strengths and masking our short comings. People are going to whole heartedly give them the benefit of the doubt based on our previous record of doing well record wise and I certainly get that train of thought, but just don't simply agree with it. I simply wanted them to dedicate some draft capital to the IOL (center preferably) regardless of who I really liked although if they drafted Creed I obviously would have been stoked. I actually would have liked your pick for center as well and been more optimistic than drafting Tutu. No way to know who is pro bowl material at center because I'm putting my money Creed will be, but as you said I could be wrong. Either way, I'm standing by my statement and saying we'll regret it when Creed blossoms into a good center for the Chiefs. I'm not pussing out on that prediction. I'll eat crow if it comes to that. Besides, fat boys like me don't say no to food lol

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
I probably would have taken ossai and meinerz as my first 2 picks because we missed out on humphrey, who I really wanted.

After that everything changes so who can tell how the draft goes and who’s available? I do like the Harris pick and he is the one actual pick I would want to try and keep. Rochell would be another—The Rams needed to pick up a CB.

rams1fan

Pro Bowler
I would have worked out some trade involving havenstein and orlando brown

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I would have worked out some trade involving havenstein and orlando brown
Not sure how you could have done that.

K.C. gave-up a late #1 and took back a late #2, with several mid-round picks added. I believe the Chiefs also gave up their #3 and #4.

When The Ravens told Brown and his reps back in February that they could pursue a trade, I was also hoping the Rams could get involved, thinking Havenstein and/or Kupp were viable trade-chips. That was before Kup restructured and trading him would have provided significant cap relief. Thought he would be an excellent compliment to Hollywood Brown and give Lamar Jackson a reliable option and the type of WR Baltimore did not seem to have.