Who’s on your draft “10 foot pole” list?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He hit everyone throwing to the other side of the field when I watched. He's great throwing on the run to his right.
Ok that's fine I may have missed those. But that clip I linked above I don't think he hit a single one.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I saw him make a couple decent throws on deep balls. I saw at least one guy almost full stop to catch a deep ball and I saw him lead a couple to the outside. But that out route I linked above I honestly do not recall him making a single one. I absolutely could be wrong but from what I saw he was terrible on that staple NFL route.
Sure. I saw both him and Nix make good deep throws. But doing it when the right look is there on a blue moon vice being a threat to do it as part of the offensive design and being good enough to do that are two different things I think.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
@gogoat1 what do I get if I prove you wrong?

Did you not watch the last superbowl? Mahomes ran for 66 yards and still completed 74% of his passes to receivers who lead the league in dropped passes.

Yeah, I was thinking mahomes the whole time I was reading it, but he is the exception who proves the rule.

Goat makes an excellent point.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You don't get it and never will.
Yeah I don’t get folks who make ridiculous bad takes.
And btw, have you ever looked at the list of failed “drop back qb’s”??
Ignorance is bliss as they say.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah, I was thinking mahomes the whole time I was reading it, but he is the exception who proves the rule.

Goat makes an excellent point.
Mahomes and Wilson are running qb’s who excel in the pocket and excluding them from the debate just invalidates the argument

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sure. I saw both him and Nix make good deep throws. But doing it when the right look is there on a blue moon vice being a threat to do it as part of the offensive design and being good enough to do that are two different things I think.
I dont understand the love for McCarthy. I watched a ton of the replays from the qb’s and I just don’t get it.
I see a hitch in his release and his lack of production just boggles my mind.
Shea Patterson and Cade Macnamara were just as good, just didn’t play on as good teams and faced significantly better OSU teams.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
Mahomes and Wilson are running qb’s who excel in the pocket and excluding them from the debate just invalidates the argument

My quote does not “exclude” them from the discussion. It “defines” their place in it.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My quote does not “exclude” them from the discussion. It “defines” their place in it.
6 QB’s have won Superbowls in the last 11 years, 2 of the 6 were running qb’s.
Seemed like you thought the idea that running qb couldn’t be successful was accurate

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
This topic has strayed a bit, but I’ll give my $0.02 on this running QB thing.

I divide QBs into 3 categories:

Pocket passers: QBs who primarily pass from the pocket and are not really a threat to run (i.e. Brady).

Mobile QBs: QBs who are a threat to run, but typically only do so when the play breaks down (ie Rogers).

Running QBs: QBs who run a lot of designed running plays and are quick to run on passing plays (ie Jackson).

To me, a guy like Mahomes fits into the Mobile QB category. I do think that running QBs tend to either evolve into Mobile QBs, or they end up having limited success and longevity.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
The more you run, the more you risk. Mobility < availability. Pocket passer please.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
To me, a guy like Mahomes fits into the Mobile QB category. I do think that running QBs tend to either evolve into Mobile QBs, or they end up having limited success and longevity.

^^Excellent.
I’ve been trying to figure out the best way to bring in that third category—“mobile.”

More importantly, you mention the need to evolve into that role (mobile) if you come in as a running QB.

That kid in indy had better figure it out before his career ends way ahead of his potential realization.

Back in 2017 the NFL saw wilson, krapernick, and bobby 3 come into the league. Wilson figured it out and will head to the HOF because of it. Krapernick was strictly a running QB who the team hid/protected with great defense and a punishing run game. As those things faded, so did krapernick’s career. Bobby 3 had talent but got busted up before he had a chance to figure it out. Between the three of those guys (who all had at least some success with 2 making it to the SB) the NFl saw the advantage of a mobile QB. Guys like mahomes and jackson are now what the nfl covets in QBs. Because much like that style buys time on plays, it can buy time in a QB’s development—as long as he doesn’t get killed on the way.

LouisvilleRam

Hall of Fame
I dont understand the love for McCarthy. I watched a ton of the replays from the qb’s and I just don’t get it.
I see a hitch in his release and his lack of production just boggles my mind.
Shea Patterson and Cade Macnamara were just as good, just didn’t play on as good teams and faced significantly better OSU teams.
Ohio State was was ranked #2 all 3 times when Michigan beat them the last 3 years, they were a missed FG away from going to and probably winning the title against TCU 2years ago.Whoever that is that announces the combine with Rich Eisen talked about how the ball just jumps out of McCarthy's hand and the zip it has on it maybe too much. If you are never behind in games why would you throw the ball to put up stats? Ground and pound all the way to a 3 TD victory in the Championship game.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Ohio State was was ranked #2 all 3 times when Michigan beat them the last 3 years, they were a missed FG away from going to and probably winning the title against TCU 2years ago.Whoever that is that announces the combine with Rich Eisen talked about how the ball just jumps out of McCarthy's hand and the zip it has on it maybe too much. If you are never behind in games why would you throw the ball to put up stats? Ground and pound all the way to a 3 TD victory in the Championship game.
He was never the reason they won any of their games, dink and dunk with YAC.
I get it that the media wants the kid to be special, but I dont see anything on the field that shows it.
Was terrible against Georgia in his first bowl start, embarrassing turnover fest against TCU in the semifinal in 2022 and was lucky as fuck against 'Bama with the INT they called back and the only pass he completed down the field was off a tipped ball.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
^^Excellent.
I’ve been trying to figure out the best way to bring in that third category—“mobile.”

More importantly, you mention the need to evolve into that role (mobile) if you come in as a running QB.

That kid in indy had better figure it out before his career ends way ahead of his potential realization.

Back in 2017 the NFL saw wilson, krapernick, and bobby 3 come into the league. Wilson figured it out and will head to the HOF because of it. Krapernick was strictly a running QB who the team hid/protected with great defense and a punishing run game. As those things faded, so did krapernick’s career. Bobby 3 had talent but got busted up before he had a chance to figure it out. Between the three of those guys (who all had at least some success with 2 making it to the SB) the NFl saw the advantage of a mobile QB. Guys like mahomes and jackson are now what the nfl covets in QBs. Because much like that style buys time on plays, it can buy time in a QB’s development—as long as he doesn’t get killed on the way.

Funny you mentioned him.I believe he was in the front row on the other side in a tennis match in Vegas yesterday.I was like that’s Kap!!

Kupp & Puka were catching passes with him at the mandolin Bay’s lobby . lol

Was a funny coincidence all in all.That QB was playing catch in Indy in a lobby.

IMO - I might trade back & look for the kid from Washington ? I haven’t watch QB’s at the combines yet. I’ll get to it in a week or 2 ?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Mahomes to me is best QB I have ever seen, even if he were to never play another down. That said, the mobile/running qualification is really subjective because it doesnt consider the talent surrounding him.
Mahomes came in to the league and was throwing to future HOF Tyreek Hill and Travis Kelce both reaching their peak, had all pros on the oline and a terrific RB in Hunt. Heck, his backup WR's, Watkins, DEmarcus & Hardman are equal or better than anything Lamar has had.
Cant win without weapons, and I dont think Lamar has had anything close to championship caliber.
So he utilizes the best weapon they have, himself

LouisvilleRam

Hall of Fame
^^Excellent.

MaHomes averaged 24 yards per game during the regular season rushing so I think mobile QB definitely describes him much better than running QB

LouisvilleRam

Hall of Fame
He was never the reason they won any of their games, dink and dunk with YAC.
I get it that the media wants the kid to be special, but I dont see anything on the field that shows it.
Was terrible against Georgia in his first bowl start, embarrassing turnover fest against TCU in the semifinal in 2022 and was lucky as fuck against 'Bama with the INT they called back and the only pass he completed down the field was off a tipped ball.
The TD pass he had to Roman Wilson this year against Ohio St he didn't just put it through a window he put it through a port hole. I think it may take him a while to develop kind of how Jordan Love was but I think he can be successful because he has all the tools

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The TD pass he had to Roman Wilson this year against Ohio St he didn't just put it through a window he put it through a port hole. I think it may take him a while to develop kind of how Jordan Love was but I think he can be successful because he has all the tools
If he ended up in horns, I'd be his biggest fan, I just dont see the hype and I've seen him play a lot.