What Would You Give Up To Move Up For Jared Goff?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Unlettered is not considering if only to pick up extra picks if he's taken purely as trade bait.

They have less leverage if they draft him than they do if they trade the pick while they're on the clock.

FrankenRam

Starter
They have less leverage if they draft him than they do if they trade the pick while they're on the clock.

Ok. That works. They probably have even more leverage if they make a deal ahead of time that basically says...."IF Goff is available when our pick comes along, we want these picks....Do you wanna play?"

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Tavon? We have a small handful of actual weapons and you want to include one of them in the deal? I know it took him a while but TA is very much worth having.

There are small slot receivers similar to him every draft that we can supplant him in that role with. He is a FA for 2017. Packaging him now for a QB solution and thus keeping our two second round picks to address WR with a guy who FITS what this team needs, is a valid approach.

Some slot guys who should be available in round 2 or later this year:

Corey Coleman (round 1 estimates but think he goes round 2)
Pharoh Cooper (round 2 estimates, insane in open field)
Sterling Shepard (think he is underrated, see him going as late as round 3 which is madness)
Braylon Addison (I've seen him listed as late as round 4 and I'm a big fan of his game and hands)
DJ Foster (round 5+ estimates are all over but look up some of his games dude is an offensive swiss army knife)

I love Tavon, but he's got more value in trade than actual value to us moving forward IMO. Tavon has a miniscule catch radius and needs to have the ball delivered perfectly on time with no interference or contact from DBs. Even then his hands are still suspect. Add that to what I mentioned above--his impending FA for 2017--and to the fact that big WRs with better hands and catch radius will be available with both 2nd round picks as well as our 3rd rounder and it's not so hard to imagine. Well, at least for me.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Ok. That works. They probably have even more leverage if they make a deal ahead of time that basically says...."IF Goff is available when our pick comes along, we want these picks....Do you wanna play?"

This is true. Only risk in that is if they set the price too high, a team might put a call into San Diego or Dallas to see if they can get a better deal.

There are small slot receivers similar to him every draft that we can supplant him in that role with. He is a FA for 2017. Packaging him now for a QB solution and thus keeping our two second round picks to address WR with a guy who FITS what this team needs, is a valid approach.

Some slot guys who should be available in round 2 or later this year:

Corey Coleman (round 1 estimates but think he goes round 2)
Pharoh Cooper (round 2 estimates, insane in open field)
Sterling Shepard (think he is underrated, see him going as late as round 3 which is madness)
Braylon Addison (I've seen him listed as late as round 4 and I'm a big fan of his game and hands)
DJ Foster (round 5+ estimates are all over but look up some of his games dude is an offensive swiss army knife)

I love Tavon, but he's got more value in trade than actual value to us moving forward IMO. Tavon has a miniscule catch radius and needs to have the ball delivered perfectly on time with no interference or contact from DBs. Even then his hands are still suspect. Add that to what I mentioned above--his impending FA for 2017--and to the fact that big WRs with better hands and catch radius will be available with both 2nd round picks as well as our 3rd rounder and it's not so hard to imagine. Well, at least for me.

There isn't anyone like Tavon in college football or the NFL right now.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This is true. Only risk in that is if they set the price too high, a team might put a call into San Diego or Dallas to see if they can get a better deal.

There isn't anyone like Tavon in college football or the NFL right now.

Yes, but there are other guys who can be drafted to help limit the dropoff while the Rams use his value to increase their talent at a more important position.

I was met with pitchforks and torches on this once already, btw, so I know it's not a popular suggestion. But since I'm apparently insane I think it's brilliant and can't shut up about it! :D

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No way to tell for sure. I think he would be better off if he could have a redshirt year to learn but that is old school thinking. These days, if you're taken early, you learn on the job. He might have a rough start but I think he can handle it. Kid can sling it, can move around to extend plays and make plays with his legs. From all accounts, a smart, hard working kid who wants to win.
Wouldn't mind grabbing him. That's for sure

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
I wouldn't trade up for Goff because he's a spread offense QB with no experience under center on a team built to run play action. Does anyone here really want to wait until year two of his development to become average to good? Not me.

I'm not saying he lacks talent or won't become successful in the NFL. I just don't think he's a fit for this team. I'm having flashbacks to Bradford's rookie year with less accuracy.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
When we (thought) we had an elite QB in bradford he changed his entire offense philosophy to a spread offense out of the gun. switched back when it didn't work. Since then we haven't even had a competent qb so its hard to say what he would or wouldn't do with an elite quarterback.

It seems like youre using this as just another platform to voice your disapproval of fisher. "why bother even getting an elite qb when fisher wouldnt even know how to use him" is a shot at fisher and not a real opinion (i hope). Because from what ive read...you believe in goff....dont mind giving up draft capital to get him. but still dont want him

Ultimately I do want him. Just wondered aloud what would happen.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
My left testicle, plus 2016 #1, #2, 2017 #1, 2018 #1.

I need to have my transgender surgery so that I can offer the remains to pagan goddesses.

Oh, and same draft picks as yours.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I wouldn't trade up for Goff because he's a spread offense QB with no experience under center on a team built to run play action. Does anyone here really want to wait until year two of his development to become average to good? Not me.
I wouldn't trade up, but not because of the wait....I'd take the lesser QB left...And I'm leaning toward Wentz...jrry and his crew..stel....I think we still have needs that our draft picks, plus a guy like Wentz can really do some damage...and next year too...
Still think Goff is the real deal...but we still have needs.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I do think it's possible that Goff slides to the Rams if a few things happen...

First, if he doesn't wow everyone with his pro day by demonstrating arm strength to quiet any doubts, that's gonna make him drop particularly due to the quality of the position in this draft. Even the accuracy could hurt him in that workout, since some of the negatives I've seen written about him center around the arm strength concerns and accuracy due to the amount of short routes they run. It is unlikely any of these guys struggle on their pro day but it happens, remember Bridgewater?

Second, if Lynch does well on his pro day as expected along with the above he will certainly be the first pick simply due to his size, athleticism, and arm. The guy is just a ridiculous physical prospect and as I mentioned in another thread he will be compared to Bortles but he's a better prospect. Given that Bortles went 3 overall, it clearly demonstrates that Lynch is a #1 overall talent in my opinion.

Third, if Wentz kills it in his postseason tour from the Senior Bowl to his pro day and/or pre-draft workout, he will rise like crazy. He has all the physical tools, talent and game tape you want in a blue chip prospect, so the Senior Bowl has the potential to debunk any fears scouts will have with level of competition. If he has a strong week of practice and then plays well it's game over man, you're talking very high pick and given the above I think he would jump Goff.

Lastly, if Cook performs well and the concerns with his leadership in the locker room are dismissed by teams, he is going to be high enough on boards where teams might take him over Goff on the strength of his experience behind center and being more pro ready due to the offense he played in.

So needless to say I don't think there's a good chance the Rams could sit at 15 and take Goff. But it is possible. This is going to be one of the most fun offseasons for us, too, simply because there are so many ways the Rams could go and the slotting of these QBs will be a large factor in how they approach it.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yes, but there are other guys who can be drafted to help limit the dropoff while the Rams use his value to increase their talent at a more important position.

I was met with pitchforks and torches on this once already, btw, so I know it's not a popular suggestion. But since I'm apparently insane I think it's brilliant and can't shut up about it! :D

I think people underestimate the rookie curve. How long did it take for Tavon to become Tavon?

We're not going to get the value for Tavon that we need. Not worth trading him. He's worth more to us than other teams will pay.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I can see a scenario where we don't draft a QB. I certainly don't think we would sell the farm for one, but I could see us going up 5 or so spots if a guy is there we really like. I think free agency will tell us all we really need to know, if we pay attention. The FA, QB class is extremely weak, IMO, but that doesn't mean we couldn't trade a 2nd for a backup QB on another team.

The FA, WR's are a very strong class, so I could see us going there pretty easily, and the draft class keeps getting a little deeper. I could see us double down with a free agent, and a draft pick there.

Free agency will be big for us, huge, because we have so many of our own guys that we'd like to re-sign.

So, my answer is, no farm, but if we love Goff, or any other QB in this class, and feel we can't wait for him, I'd be willing to give a 2nd, a 4th, and a future 2nd, only if I had to, to move up 5-8 spots. I'd rather just give up the 1st, and the 2nd. It works chart wise, that could move us to #8, potentially.

Goff, at this point, would be the guy that I want. He has all the intangibles that translate into the NFL, no doubt in my mind. He can read, react, has pocket awareness, a quick release, and is sneaky athletic. I'd say he has about a Matt Ryan arm, show incredible touch, is a gamer, and accurate on deep throws.

Will he be there at #8? Possibly, but I don't think so. We would probably have to go to #5, at the minimum.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
What do ya say @jrry32 Goff just became the hometown kid. Now even makes more sense to give up the farm for him from a marketing standpoint as well....think they have the balls?

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
What do ya say @jrry32 Goff just became the hometown kid. Now even makes more sense to give up the farm for him from a marketing standpoint as well....think they have the balls?
I was thinking the same thing. Rams will need a star QB, now. No bones about it. I mean, they did before, but you know what I mean.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I was thinking the same thing. Rams will need a star QB, now. No bones about it. I mean, they did before, but you know what I mean.
Yeah I agree winning over a fan base w case keenum isn't practical...the need for a young qb to believe in has just grown and goff is the hometown kid...interesting to say the least

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Doesn't change anything for me. I'd give up the farm from him because of the player he is. But if it helps push them to do it, let's do it.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Here's a question. Who do you guys think Hue Jackson's QB will be? Who fits his system? It will be his pick, unless we go to #1.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Here's a question. Who do you guys think Hue Jackson's QB will be? Who fits his system? It will be his pick, unless we go to #1.

Hard to know. He's coached guys like Carson Palmer, Jason Campbell, Joe Flacco, and Andy Dalton. I think he can run his system with just about any skill-set. Wouldn't be surprised if Goff is the guy even though he doesn't make you think "Air Coryell QB" with his physical skill-set because he has such good touch on his deep ball and is an aggressive passer.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Hard to know. He's coached guys like Carson Palmer, Jason Campbell, Joe Flacco, and Andy Dalton. I think he can run his system with just about any skill-set. Wouldn't be surprised if Goff is the guy even though he doesn't make you think "Air Coryell QB" with his physical skill-set because he has such good touch on his deep ball and is an aggressive passer.
I think I'm on the same page. I think a guy like Hue can probably coach anybody, but he will be looking for a very high character, looker room guy too. I don't know if he passes on Goff, who most of us think is the best QB in this draft, and he's clean too.