What Would You Give Up To Move Up For Jared Goff?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
IMO.. The St. Louis Rams are at the point where we desperately need a Quarterback. Can we be competitive with a non franchise QB? Sure. We proved that this year. Can we even make the playoffs with one of these lesser QBs? Again, sure. A few more bounces our way and we may have done that this year. But to take that next step and be competitive in the playoffs and beyond, we need that true to form franchise quarterback.

Luckily for us, there is one available in this draft, Jared Goff. Again luckily for us a lot of the teams drafting ahead of us likely wont be in the market for a new QB. With that being said, who do you think our biggest competition is for Goff? Where would we have to move up to in order to select him? and whats your bottom line for what you'd be willing to give up in order to secure Goff?

According to ESPN, this is the current Draft order for 2016 (Along with my predictions of who might take a qb)

Tennessee Titans 3-13 0.188 (No chance Marriota)
2 Cleveland Browns 3-13 0.188 (Possible, but I think they give Manziel a shot)
3 San Diego Chargers 4-12 0.250 (No they have Rivers and other more pressing needs)
4 Dallas Cowboys 4-12 0.250 (I think they stick with Romo and address other needs)
5 Jacksonville Jaguars 5-11 0.313 (No shot Bortles)
6 Baltimore Ravens 5-11 0.313 (No shot Flacco)
7 San Francisco 49ers 5-11 0.313 (Could be our biggest competition)
8 Miami Dolphins 6-10 0.375 (No Shot)
9 Tampa Bay Buccaneers 6-10 0.375 (No shot Winston)
10 New York Giants 6-10 0.375 (No shot Manning)
11 Chicago Bears 6-10 0.375 (No shot Cutler)
12 New Orleans Saints 7-9 0.438 (Likely no unless they change Head coaches and move brees)
13 Philadelphia Eagles 7-9 0.438 (Definitely maybe)
14 Oakland Raiders 7-9 0.438 (No Shot Carr)
15 St. Louis Rams 7-9 0.438 (GIMME JARED GOFF!!!)

So by my estimation, we have 3 out of the 14 teams ahead of us to worry about. The Browns, The 9ers, and the Eagles. On top of that, one of the teams may value Paxton lynch over Goff so that's definitely in play.

Where do you think the rams would/should move up to in order to draft Goff? And what would you feel comfortable giving up to do so?

For me. Im doing whatever it takes. Id offer an RG3 type deal and Jump Clevland in order to secure Goff. I think hes that special. and although that's a lot of draft capital its worth it to land your franchise qb. Think of it this way, after year 1 of the RG3 trade, no one in washington was regretting all they gave up when it looked like RG3 was revolutionizing the game. It was only after injuries and other factors derailed his career that the trade looked terrible. If Clevland is not in the market for a QB or prefers Lynch to Goff I'd say we would have to jump the 9ers to be comfortable and work out a trade with the Ravens.

So...what say you?

Last edited:

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
My left testicle, plus 2016 #1, #2, 2017 #1, 2018 #1.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Thats Pretty much where im at Tron. Although id like to keep both of my testicles

Hard to keep what you dont have though Champ :rolllaugh::rolllaugh::rolllaugh::rolllaugh::rolllaugh::rolllaugh::rolllaugh::rolllaugh::rolllaugh::rolllaugh::rolllaugh::rolllaugh::rolllaugh:
jkjkjk!

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Let me ask you this...what changes with a different QB?

At some point we will have a 1st and 10 in fringe FG range, in OT. And regardless of who that QB is, I believe Fisher will run, run, run - because even though our QB was Case Keenum, this was also the last game of the season - give the kid a chance to succeed - but instead Fisher played Fisher ball. And I don't think that changes even if we have Aaron Rodgers at QB.

I would trade every draft pick we have though - but I just question what getting a knew QB would do when our offensive philosophy is run/run/run/kick.

iced

our competition for his services would be cleveland,sf, & dallas...

i question what cleveland would want for goff after the RG3 deal

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
If the new GM and head coach for the Browns choose to stick with Manziel we only have to move to the Ravens to jump the 49ers. I would trade a 1st, 2nd, 2017 1st, 2017 2nd.

jjab360

Legend
I'm really not sure Goff is the type of QB you give up the farm to get.

At this point, I'd rather just sit back and take Lynch who's stock is falling or Cook who I'm really not impressed by but I don't see a big gap between him and Goff.

Going back and watching the game, he missed quite a few open guys in what was probably his best game against Air Force. Those misses will only be magnified in the pros and there won't be nearly as many wide open receivers.

I'll keep my seconds and future firsts and worry about getting whoever we have at QB some actual help.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Nick Foles, swap firsts and a second.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
I just dont think Goff is worth giving the farm up. Its not that he is bad, I just dont think he is going to be elite. I would let the draft come to me, realistically Cook would be a reasonable target that you wont have to give up multiple 1st rounders to get. Its likely Cook falls out of the top ten.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Let me ask you this...what changes with a different QB?

At some point we will have a 1st and 10 in fringe FG range, in OT. And regardless of who that QB is, I believe Fisher will run, run, run - because even though our QB was Case Keenum, this was also the last game of the season - give the kid a chance to succeed - but instead Fisher played Fisher ball. And I don't think that changes even if we have Aaron Rodgers at QB.

I would trade every draft pick we have though - but I just question what getting a knew QB would do when our offensive philosophy is run/run/run/kick.

It's my belief Jared Goff is going to be an Elite quarterback in the NFL. If you disagree with that assessment that's one thing. But if your sentiment remains what changes with an Elite quarterback i'm not quite sure how to respond.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm really not sure Goff is the type of QB you give up the farm to get.

At this point, I'd rather just sit back and take Lynch who's stock is falling or Cook who I'm really not impressed by but I don't see a big gap between him and Goff.

Going back and watching the game, he missed quite a few open guys in what was probably his best game against Air Force. Those misses will only be magnified in the pros and there won't be nearly as many wide open receivers.

I'll keep my seconds and future firsts and worry about getting whoever we have at QB some actual help.
Whats special to me about Goff is his eyes and feet. He sees the whole field and can go through multiple progressions very quickly. He has a great feel for the pocket and moves around the pocket and extends the pocket in the mold of a Tony Romo or Aaron Rodgers. He played well behind a very poor o line because of these reasons.

Of course he misses open receivers occasionally, all QBs do. But to me he shares a few traits with the elite qbs of the NFL that you just cant teach

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
our competition for his services would be cleveland,sf, & dallas...

i question what cleveland would want for goff after the RG3 deal
I think that depends on who else is trying to trade for that pick. Clevland was a big reason we were able to get so much out of washington as they started a bidding war.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I see 8 potential QB landing spots in front of the Rams. Since the rookie cap isnt so stifling, and the cap for 2016 apparently going up big time none of the following would surprise me

Cleveland Browns 3-13- No chance Manziel is back, new coach drafts QB
San Diego Chargers 4-12 Entirely possible they go QB. They did when they had Brees and ended up with Rivers
Dallas Cowboys 4-12 Entirley possible they go QB. Season derailed when Romo went down
San Francisco 49ers 5-11 Likely going QB
Miami Dolphins 6-10 Never say never, Miami can opt out after 2016. New Coach may want new QB
Chicago Bears 6-10 Not sure if he's tradeable, but they havent won with him, so.....
New Orleans Saints 7-9 Never say never, not like it hasnt happened to Brees already....
Philadelphia Eagles 7-9 Depends on the coach and if Bradford will re-sign but even if he does, def a possibility

Stel

Starter
Cleveland, San Francisco and Philadelphia are the ones who would be looking for a 2016 starter. These teams would move up if they thought they had to in order to get "their guy."

San Diego, Dallas, Miami, Chicago, and New Orleans (and I'd add Baltimore) would be looking for a future starter to take over for their current starter. I don't think these teams would move up but might take a QB that fell to them that they really liked. Most will take a player that can help them in 2016.

IF (and I think it is a big if) we were willing to trade up to get Goff, Cleveland is the team that can most likely thwart us. I would not be willing to give up what it would take to get the #1 pick (likely at least our 1st and both 2nds in 2016, our 1sts in 2017 and 2018). However, if Goff gets past Cleveland, I'd get interested. We are in as good of a position to move up as any other team interested in an immediate starting QB due to our extra second round pick. Our first round pick and our normal second round pick (#15:1050 pts + #45:450 pts) equal the value of SF's first round pick (#7:1500 pts) and put us ahead of Philadelphia (and remember, Philadelphia has no second round pick in 2016). At that point, it is just a bidding war. If we want to win that war, we can. As I said earlier, I don't think any of the teams interested in a QB but who have a proven starter for 2016 will give up much to move up in the draft.