What Would You Give Up To Move Up For Jared Goff?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
1. I would offer Tavon Austin, this year's 1st round pick, and next year's first round pick for the 1 overall.

2. If they balk, then I do what I need to in order to get Wentz.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
I'm not sure what I would give up for Goff - I don't know how to evaluate college QBs, so I don't really know how good he will be. But I know I wouldn't give up the rumoured asking price, which *starts at * three 1st round picks.

I think we might well be able to get Lynch just by sitting put. I'd like that scenario best I think, based on the scouting reports I have read.

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
I'm really not sure Goff is the type of QB you give up the farm to get.

At this point, I'd rather just sit back and take Lynch who's stock is falling or Cook who I'm really not impressed by but I don't see a big gap between him and Goff.

Going back and watching the game, he missed quite a few open guys in what was probably his best game against Air Force. Those misses will only be magnified in the pros and there won't be nearly as many wide open receivers.

I'll keep my seconds and future firsts and worry about getting whoever we have at QB some actual help.

You don't see a big difference between Golf and Cook? Really?!?! There's a massive difference in skill but to each his own.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
1. I would offer Tavon Austin, this year's 1st round pick, and next year's first round pick for the 1 overall.

2. If they balk, then I do what I need to in order to get Wentz.

Tavon? We have a small handful of actual weapons and you want to include one of them in the deal? I know it took him a while but TA is very much worth having.

Stel

Starter
Like wentz. But is he an immediate starter?

No way to tell for sure. I think he would be better off if he could have a redshirt year to learn but that is old school thinking. These days, if you're taken early, you learn on the job. He might have a rough start but I think he can handle it. Kid can sling it, can move around to extend plays and make plays with his legs. From all accounts, a smart, hard working kid who wants to win.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
@Tron you're killing me...lefty hut too?

To the OP.... @NJRamsFan
I'm kinda where @tahoe is....keep the draft capital and find a replacement....I might roll with a Wentz type too....Cook....Lynch.....

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm really not sure Goff is the type of QB you give up the farm to get.

At this point, I'd rather just sit back and take Lynch who's stock is falling or Cook who I'm really not impressed by but I don't see a big gap between him and Goff.

Going back and watching the game, he missed quite a few open guys in what was probably his best game against Air Force. Those misses will only be magnified in the pros and there won't be nearly as many wide open receivers.

I'll keep my seconds and future firsts and worry about getting whoever we have at QB some actual help.

I think people are a bit unrealistic when it comes to college QBs. Not even prime Manning, Brady, Rodgers, etc. are throwing every pass accurately.

I can only think of a handful of misses off the top of my head from that game. And probably half of them came on the first two drives. But I can also think of more than a handful of difficult throws that were thrown absolutely perfectly.

Goff is the type of QB you go after aggressively. Pay what it takes to get him.

Stel

Starter
Goff is the type of QB you go after aggressively. Pay what it takes to get him.

I agree with this to a point. I think the cost to move up to #1 would be too much and moving to #2 is iffy. However, if Goff made it past the first two spots, I could be convinced. #3 (2200) should cost our first (1050), second (450) and third (210) round picks in 2016 (but not the Philly pick) and our 2017 first round pick (500). Given the potential competition, might have to give the Philly second (470) instead of our own third rounder. I think you have to watch how much of your future you mortgage, but we're in better shape than many teams because of our youth. However, there comes a point when I'd rather sit tight and take Wentz (or, gasp, even Cook) and keep the picks.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Tavon? We have a small handful of actual weapons and you want to include one of them in the deal? I know it took him a while but TA is very much worth having.

I like Tavon Austin, but I think there is this forced pressure to "get the ball to Tavon" that is seriously hindering this teams ability to win. The guy is a great gadget player - and I'm fine with him returning punts despite the fact he likes to dance and go backwards, it's what you have to give up I'm order for that splashy game breaking play.

I'm not a fan of trading him but right now is the time - he's not ever going to be a big time wide out - right now we'd get value back

iced

I like Tavon Austin, but I think there is this forced pressure to "get the ball to Tavon" that is seriously hindering this teams ability to win. The guy is a great gadget player - and I'm fine with him returning punts despite the fact he likes to dance and go backwards, it's what you have to give up I'm order for that splashy game breaking play.

gotta disagree with that - lot of the deep passes and wholes for gurley come off the threat of TA. He isn't a #1 WR, but he's dam fine compliment and someone defenses are scared of. just wish they'd use him more as a receiver

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I'm not a fan of trading him but right now is the time - he's not ever going to be a big time wide out - right now we'd get value back

There is no forced pressure of get the ball to Tavon. We're desperate to get the ball to Tavon because our QB situation is terrible and our other WRs/TEs (besides Britt) have stunk this year. So yes, there is pressure to get the ball to Tavon this year because him and Gurley are the only two weapons capable of moving the chains fairly consistently.

But with a real QB and some upgraded talent at WR/TE, there won't be pressure. Plus, Tavon appears to be turning the corner as a receiver and he's a great blocker. Plays with the heart of a lion.

Not to mention what he offers as a punt returner.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
gotta disagree with that - lot of the deep passes and wholes for gurley come off the threat of TA. He isn't a #1 WR, but he's dam fine compliment and someone defenses are scared of. just wish they'd use him more as a receiver

They try. But he's a small guy. With small guys, you need an accurate thrower. It's why Antonio Brown's stats fall off a cliff when Ben is out. He's not going to leap over people to catch inaccurate passes. He's uncoverable with an accurate QB but without a QB that gets the ball out on time and accurately, he's hamstrung.

Austin isn't Antonio Brown. But he's a small guy. He needs a QB who gets the ball out on time and places it well.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's my belief Jared Goff is going to be an Elite quarterback in the NFL. If you disagree with that assessment that's one thing. But if your sentiment remains what changes with an Elite quarterback i'm not quite sure how to respond.

Sounds like you may not have read my entire post. I would be absolutely fine with trading up for Goff. And I know the difference an elite QB can make.

My sentiment was/is that I don't think Fisher's philosophy changes with an elite QB. Run/run/run in OT in fringe FG range. He's the kind of coach that plays not to lose.

From that perspective, is it worth not only drafting a QB highly, but giving up more premium picks in order to do so? It almost seems like Fisher doesn't think QB is that important..

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Sounds like you may not have read my entire post. I would be absolutely fine with trading up for Goff. And I know the difference an elite QB can make.

My sentiment was/is that I don't think Fisher's philosophy changes with an elite QB. Run/run/run in OT in fringe FG range. He's the kind of coach that plays not to lose.

From that perspective, is it worth not only drafting a QB highly, but giving up more premium picks in order to do so? It almost seems like Fisher doesn't think QB is that important..

When we (thought) we had an elite QB in bradford he changed his entire offense philosophy to a spread offense out of the gun. switched back when it didn't work. Since then we haven't even had a competent qb so its hard to say what he would or wouldn't do with an elite quarterback.

It seems like youre using this as just another platform to voice your disapproval of fisher. "why bother even getting an elite qb when fisher wouldnt even know how to use him" is a shot at fisher and not a real opinion (i hope). Because from what ive read...you believe in goff....dont mind giving up draft capital to get him. but still dont want him

iced

They try. But he's a small guy. With small guys, you need an accurate thrower. It's why Antonio Brown's stats fall off a cliff when Ben is out. He's not going to leap over people to catch inaccurate passes. He's uncoverable with an accurate QB but without a QB that gets the ball out on time and accurately, he's hamstrung.

Austin isn't Antonio Brown. But he's a small guy. He needs a QB who gets the ball out on time and places it well.

I'm kind of shocked TA isn't able to separate or uncover as well as AB - both have the speed, agility, and acceleration...but thats the difference in receiver vs gadget player

wish TA would spend some time with Tori Holt in the off season

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What if a team wanted a first, a second and Aaron Donald? Would anyone even consider that?

No. Picks are one thing. I'm not trading a HOF talent for an unproven player.

I'm kind of shocked TA isn't able to separate or uncover as well as AB - both have the speed, agility, and acceleration...but thats the difference in receiver vs gadget player

wish TA would spend some time with Tori Holt in the off season

AB's dominance isn't due to physical talent. It's his football IQ and work habits.

But I disagree that TA is a gadget player. I think he's more and that'll become more apparent when we have a better QB under center.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Irrelevant. John Fox was the same way. Didn't stop him from whooping people when he got Peyton Manning.

With an elite QB, we won't be in close, low scoring games every week that come down to that. So even despite that flaw, we'll win.
(and trust me, I want Fisher gone...but it's not happening)