What Falcons Fans Are Saying Before The Game

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
View: https://www.reddit.com/r/falcons/comments/7nmj5m/am_i_crazy/#bottom-comments

Am I crazy

for thinking that despite being the 2nd wild card seed, we have an easier path to the NFC Championship game? I feel like the Rams are beatable, and the Eagles are w/o Wentz.
----------
I think it was the best case scenario for us. But it's still gonna be a mountain to climb with how inconsistent we've been the whole season.
----------
No, I have definitely seen some legit sports guys saying the same thing. Falcons have the easiest path to the NFC, at least of the 4 teams playing this week.
----------
Rams are scarier than the Eagles right now imo. I think the biggest thing going for us is that their team is largely unproven. Our roster and staff has much more postseason experience and that's absolutely a factor. Our defense is gonna have to play tough but it's clearly a winnable game.
----------
Agreed. I have a good feeling that the winner of our game on Saturday goes to the SB.
---------
No, you are not crazy.

The FiveThirtyEight ELO comparison shows that the Rams are a largely untested team, and their stadium gives them no home field advantage. As such they give us 51% chance of winning. Other analysts have also commented that the Falcons are likely the only wild card team to win an upset

The Eagles, without Wentz, are going to need a miracle, even with the home field and bye week advantage, to win their game no matter if it is the Falcons or the Rams.

Which gives us the best path possible to the NFC Championship.
---------
I'm not sure how to feel about the Rams. Yeah they are beatable but they rested all their starters Sunday so they will be fresh against us, while we were pretty beat up against Carolina. A fresh Todd Gurley scares the shit out of me.
----------
Resting starters doesn't always work out. Hopefully it threw them off rhythm and the playoff nerves makes em stumble a bit. A lot of them have never been here.
----------
No, I think you're right. You have to take any playoff team seriously, but they are definitely beatable. They didn't have a very difficult schedule so their record is deceptively good. Their two biggest wins were against the Jags and the Aints. On the other hand, they have some pretty bad losses. Speaking of losses, 4 out of their 5 came at home.

Our record doesn't reflect it, but I think the Falcons play better on the road. Not to mention, a lot of our guys on defense have faced Gurley before. They're not going to be intimidated by him. I really like our chances, especially if we play at a high level.
----------
This game is a tossup but give us just a little more credit. "Some pretty bad losses"? Lets list em out

Lost to Redskins 27-20. This was before they got ravaged by injury. But yeah a somewhat bad loss. Probably about as bad as losing to Cutler and the Dolphins right? I think that's about even

Lost to Seahawks 16-10. Hawks had a fully healthy defense that forced 5 turnovers. Including a goalline reach that ended up as the shitty "fumble out of the endzone for a touchback" rule. Still would have won if Kupp didn't drop the game winning TD. But hey no excuses we lost. Wouldn't say it's a bad loss though

Lost to the Vikings 24-7. It was tied at 7 going into the 4th but yeah that Vikings defense is mean man. You guys would know as well. I don't think a loss to arguably the best team in the NFC is a bad loss but maybe I'm wrong

Lost to the Eagles 43-35. This was a 37-35 loss with a meaningless lateral TD to end it. We lost a shootout to Wentz. No shame there

And we lost to the 49ers while we rested most of our starters. Went 3-2 against playoff teams. You guys went 2-5. We are definitely beatable. I'm not supremely confident in a victory here. But again, give us a bit more respect
----------
You guys have a good squad, but you should thank the Falcons for helping knock the perennials out of the playoffs.
----------
You can get snarky all you like but we both know the Lambs aren't going to get respect for making the playoffs by playing an easy schedule in a division that is down. I could make excuses for the Falcon's losses too, but if it's respect that you want then it isn't about the Falcons. You have to at least make it to the NFC championship or you'll be dismissed as a fluke.
----------
Dude chill, he’s right, they are quality losses...eagles, Vikings? They’ve division winners, skins sure but every team has a game or two (see dolphins, even the pats blew one to them). Hawks are a division foe, we would say the same about a saints, panthers, or bucs loss.
---------
If we beat rams I am feeling very confident we beat the eagles. And all that’s left is Vikings, panthers or saints...2 we beat and 1 we played tight. If we play like we did panthers I think we can get to the bowl
----------
Yeah I mean that's definitely one way to look at it. L.A.'s not an intimidating road environment, at the very least. But on the other hand:

OFFENSE: Atlanta is sustaining/non-explosive offense with a really good run game, but doesn't do anything else consistently from week to week. L.A. has a very explosive offense with a powerful run game.

DEFENSE: Atlanta has a small, explosive D that plays hard but gives up a lot of long drives. L.A. has speed AND size and a monster pass rush with just its front four.

Sure we have a chance, but this could be a really ugly game too.
----------
Its gonna be a battle of RBs.

Rams defense is allowing an average of 4.5 yrd per play.

I know we have the winning edge when it comes to playoff experience.

The Rams still remember what we did to them last season and Its gonna be a tough game.
---------------
https://boards.atlantafalcons.com/t...get-out-of-la-with-a-w-on-saturday-heres-how/

Want to get out of LA with a "W" on Saturday? Here's how.

SCORE. FRICKIN. POINTS.

We all know that the Rams are the Falcons of last year looking at their offense. They have an innovative HC/OC who dials them up like Shanny for the Falcons of last year. Speaking of Shanny, his 49ers....without their new qb, put up 39 points on them in the best Thursday night game of the year.

The Rams STILL hung 41 points on them. The Eagles had to put 43 points on them to win 43-35. And we would all agree that the Eagles have a defense that should not give up 35 points. Most points they gave up this season.

Now don't get me wrong, their offense HAS been held down at times during this season. Seahawks held them to 10 points. Vikings, 7 points. Redskins 20 points.

Few and far between. Our defense is legit. But they are young. It's going to be a more finesse than power game offensively coming from the Rams. Meaning our defense will have to be prepared mentally to execute physically, CONFIDENTLY.

The Rams are prepared to score points. A lot of points. This game can not be an offensive no show for us on the prime time stage of Saturday night. The defense will not allow us to get blown out, but......the offense has to score at LEAST 28 points to win this game. That 20 point stuff is out of the window now.

It's playoff time.
----------
Stop Gurley and make the young QB have to beat you.
---------
if we can shut down Gurley early, they may stray away from him.
----------
The key to this game is running the ball. We can take advantage of a bad rush defense and take the air out of the ball. Then from that we can throw in some play action.

On defense it's simple too. Stop Gurley and make Goff beat you.

Honestly this game is just like every other game: win the LOS and you win the game.
---------
I guess some people are going to be surprised, but Deion Jones is the perfect antidote for Todd Gurley, and the Rams are going to struggle to move the ball in this one.

Atlanta might struggle too.

Expect a lower scoring game if both teams can avoid turnovers.
---------
Plain and simple the defense needs to get off the field, and give the offense more opportunities to score. Right now everyone is pumping their chests quoting our "top 10" defensive stats, but when you look at it on a per drive or per play basis, it tells a different story. We are at the bottom of the league in number of offensive drives per game, and pretty bad in points per drive allowed and yards per drive allowed.
---------
I think we also need our special teams to play conservatively.

• Don't attempt kick-off returns, 25 yard default start is fine
  • Even if it means less yards don't get penalized
  • Punt out of bounds if we have to to keep it away from Austin
Even against the Panthers they were getting very closing to blocking some of Bryant's kicks.
---------
The Falcons have got to stop holding on every punt return, it's gotten comical at this point. Just don't even block the gunners at all and call for a fair catch.
----------
Make Goff uncomfortable all game long, we win. Added to that the pressure they will be under to win. The Falcons have no reason to be under any pressure.
----------
I always reference the Hawks@Rams game
----------
The world thinks the Rams offense is unstoppable....I believe they will be very surprised to see how well the Falcons defense matches up with them...

Their secondary is suspect...they will be completely overmatched...

Their DLine is tremendous against the pass but weak against the run

Can our line hold up...can Julio feast...will Free and Tev get loose..

If so...there is no way the Rams win this game
------------
The Saints offense is better and more diverse than the Rams offense, and the Falcons did a great job of slowing them down twice.

The Falcons have to take care of the ball and they will win this game.
----------
Run the ball. Rams are 28th against the run. That's the key to victory.
---------
Talk is cheap and I fully agree that containing Gurlie is a big key.

To force the game on Goff Balls is a novel idea but need I remind you of two other factors.

Alford and Trufaunt. I think Tru has become a glue sniffing dumbaszmofo. (4th and short he tries to strip the ball when wrapping up for a stop was all we needed. (Showboat)

Can we beat the Rams? Yes of course we can and the Key to this game is for our team to stay Disciplined and Not try to be a Show off. So there our Game will come down to that and our O Line could easily get jobbed.

The Rams are who their record says they are.
----------
The falcons have least number of drives in NFL, Rams have second most in NFL. If Falcons play slow and methodical Offense, it will be low scoring game. Rams are less efficient than falcons offense on per drive basis.
----------
This defense trained against the top offense last year and held some of the top offenses to the ridiculous lows deep into the third quarter. If the coaches are smart, we can hold them to <20 points.
----------
Rico needs to stay over the top of Woods and Watkins. They aren't elite WRs but have elite speed. We cant get burnt saturday. Keke, Debo and Dre have to be tackling machines. We have to force 2nd, 3rd and longs to keep the offense off balance. Pressure inside to shake the young QB.

Offense has to be committed to run game but similar to Panthers game....find our RBs in space. Julio obviously needs a big play or 2 to keep safeties honest. Donald has to be neutralized. He can wreck a game. Make Quinn or Brockers beat us. QBs hate inside pressure.
-----------
Ah, I remember when the Falcons was the team with the scary offense. If only 20 points was enough to win the Super Bowl last year. Anyway, that's bygone now. The Rams offense is very good but they can be had. Against a healthy Seattle team they struggled to move the ball and got shut down by the Vikings. We should know better than most by now that even an elite offense can be slowed or shut down by a defense that executes its game plan excellently.

Now here's some stats that are sure to shock a few of you. Bolded and underlined are leading numbers. We're literally better than the Rams in almost every way except for rushing (same) and scoring. We've struggled to score, sure, but that can change at any moment.

Total offense:

Falcons (#8 in NFL, #3 in NFC): 364.8 YPG

Rams (#10 in NFL, #5 in NFC): 361.5 YPG

Rushing offense:

Falcons (#13 in NFL, #7 in NFC): 115.4 YPG, 4.3 YPC, 430 attempts

Rams (#8 in NFL, #6 in NFC): 122.1 YPG, 4.3 YPC, 454 attempts

Passing offense:

Falcons (#8 in NFL, #4 in NFC): 249.4 YPG

Rams (#10 in NFL, #6 in NFC): 239.4 YPG

Total defense:

Falcons (#9 in NFL): 318.4 YPG

Rams (#19 in NFL): 339.6 YPG

Scoring defense:

Falcons (#8 in NFL): 19.7 PPG

Rams (#12 in NFL): 20.6 PPG
-----------
That’s Coz Falcons ST sucks and lack of Turnovers on defense. Rams offense doesn’t need to drive 70-80 yards to score most of the TD. 1/3rd of their season TD were starting with in opponents territory averaging 27 yards/TD. If there is any team which will make you pay for poor ST, it’s the Rams.
----------
Until I see this Falcons team play well without so many unforced errors and make plays when they have the chance. I don't care who they play anyone can beat them we have all seen it.

People you need to pump the brakes if you think the Falcons are just going into LA and walk out with an easy win.

If the Falcons clean it up and play well then they can beat any team in the NFL. They have to focus on one play at a time and not get ahead of themselves. The coaching staff also needs to clean up the bad decisions.
----------
You have to bottle up Gurley and make Goff beat us. He's young with no big game experience. If he can beat the defending NFC Champions then salute to him, but I like our chances in a situation where it comes down to Goff needing to pull magic outta his azz.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
One thing that cracks me up these dirty bird idiots don't pay attention to. They criticize us for a lack of experience, same thing they had last year. They criticize us for an easy road to the playoffs yet what did they have last year? Oh you mean a top 10 easiest schedule in the NFL at the end of the season? What's that you say the Rams last year was a .488 clip and they were a .490 (as of week 16 can't find the final number)! My goodness it's almost like we're a mirror image of them last year and I wonder how much they ridiculed people who used these arguments against them!

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
One thing that cracks me up these dirty bird idiots don't pay attention to. They criticize us for a lack of experience, same thing they had last year. They criticize us for an easy road to the playoffs yet what did they have last year? Oh you mean a top 10 easiest schedule in the NFL at the end of the season? What's that you say the Rams last year was a .488 clip and they were a .490 (as of week 16 can't find the final number)! My goodness it's almost like we're a mirror image of them last year and I wonder how much they ridiculed people who used these arguments against them!

When you are considered the underdog, you must find ways to justify in your mind, why your team will win the game.

That said, that's why we play the game. If not, we would just hand the trophy to the Patriots.

But I do believe if the Rams play the way they are capable of playing without any unusual rash of turnovers, we will win this game against the Falcons and have a good chance of winning on the road in Philly the next week.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
Some delusional fans on their part. I love the fact they think this game is in the bag for them. Keep overlooking this game and focus on the second round, and they will be watching the Rams move on and their beloved dirty birds watching it on TV.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
"Stop Gurley and we win"....yea...you know how many teams have said the same EXACT thing? Every single one of them.

"Run the ball, they have a terrible run defense." Again, something i hear every damn week. How many rbs have been successful outside of one big run??? Fournette, Ajayi, Peterson, Ingram, Kamara, Murray, Elliot...only one of those rbs had any significant success against us, and we shut him down in the 2nd half.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
"Stop Gurley and we win"....yea...you know how many teams have said the same EXACT thing? Every single one of them. \

It's almost like us saying "Stop Julio and we win."

At least they know they can't stop Donald. ;)

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Even against the Panthers they were getting very closing to blocking some of Bryant's kicks.
This guy is a genius. He's very in touch with our team and if thinks we're going to lose, I believe it.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
View: https://www.reddit.com/r/falcons/comments/7nmj5m/am_i_crazy/#bottom-comments

Am I crazy

for thinking that despite being the 2nd wild card seed, we have an easier path to the NFC Championship game? I feel like the Rams are beatable, and the Eagles are w/o Wentz.
----------
I think it was the best case scenario for us. But it's still gonna be a mountain to climb with how inconsistent we've been the whole season.
----------
No, I have definitely seen some legit sports guys saying the same thing. Falcons have the easiest path to the NFC, at least of the 4 teams playing this week.
----------
Rams are scarier than the Eagles right now imo. I think the biggest thing going for us is that their team is largely unproven. Our roster and staff has much more postseason experience and that's absolutely a factor. Our defense is gonna have to play tough but it's clearly a winnable game.
----------
Agreed. I have a good feeling that the winner of our game on Saturday goes to the SB.
---------
No, you are not crazy.

The FiveThirtyEight ELO comparison shows that the Rams are a largely untested team, and their stadium gives them no home field advantage. As such they give us 51% chance of winning. Other analysts have also commented that the Falcons are likely the only wild card team to win an upset

The Eagles, without Wentz, are going to need a miracle, even with the home field and bye week advantage, to win their game no matter if it is the Falcons or the Rams.

Which gives us the best path possible to the NFC Championship.
---------
I'm not sure how to feel about the Rams. Yeah they are beatable but they rested all their starters Sunday so they will be fresh against us, while we were pretty beat up against Carolina. A fresh Todd Gurley scares the crap out of me.
----------
Resting starters doesn't always work out. Hopefully it threw them off rhythm and the playoff nerves makes em stumble a bit. A lot of them have never been here.
----------
No, I think you're right. You have to take any playoff team seriously, but they are definitely beatable. They didn't have a very difficult schedule so their record is deceptively good. Their two biggest wins were against the Jags and the Aints. On the other hand, they have some pretty bad losses. Speaking of losses, 4 out of their 5 came at home.

Our record doesn't reflect it, but I think the Falcons play better on the road. Not to mention, a lot of our guys on defense have faced Gurley before. They're not going to be intimidated by him. I really like our chances, especially if we play at a high level.
----------
This game is a tossup but give us just a little more credit. "Some pretty bad losses"? Lets list em out

Lost to Redskins 27-20. This was before they got ravaged by injury. But yeah a somewhat bad loss. Probably about as bad as losing to Cutler and the Dolphins right? I think that's about even

Lost to Seahawks 16-10. Hawks had a fully healthy defense that forced 5 turnovers. Including a goalline reach that ended up as the crappy "fumble out of the endzone for a touchback" rule. Still would have won if Kupp didn't drop the game winning TD. But hey no excuses we lost. Wouldn't say it's a bad loss though

Lost to the Vikings 24-7. It was tied at 7 going into the 4th but yeah that Vikings defense is mean man. You guys would know as well. I don't think a loss to arguably the best team in the NFC is a bad loss but maybe I'm wrong

Lost to the Eagles 43-35. This was a 37-35 loss with a meaningless lateral TD to end it. We lost a shootout to Wentz. No shame there

And we lost to the 49ers while we rested most of our starters. Went 3-2 against playoff teams. You guys went 2-5. We are definitely beatable. I'm not supremely confident in a victory here. But again, give us a bit more respect
----------
You guys have a good squad, but you should thank the Falcons for helping knock the perennials out of the playoffs.
----------
You can get snarky all you like but we both know the Lambs aren't going to get respect for making the playoffs by playing an easy schedule in a division that is down. I could make excuses for the Falcon's losses too, but if it's respect that you want then it isn't about the Falcons. You have to at least make it to the NFC championship or you'll be dismissed as a fluke.
----------
Dude chill, he’s right, they are quality losses...eagles, Vikings? They’ve division winners, skins sure but every team has a game or two (see dolphins, even the pats blew one to them). Hawks are a division foe, we would say the same about a saints, panthers, or bucs loss.
---------
If we beat rams I am feeling very confident we beat the eagles. And all that’s left is Vikings, panthers or saints...2 we beat and 1 we played tight. If we play like we did panthers I think we can get to the bowl
----------
Yeah I mean that's definitely one way to look at it. L.A.'s not an intimidating road environment, at the very least. But on the other hand:

OFFENSE: Atlanta is sustaining/non-explosive offense with a really good run game, but doesn't do anything else consistently from week to week. L.A. has a very explosive offense with a powerful run game.

DEFENSE: Atlanta has a small, explosive D that plays hard but gives up a lot of long drives. L.A. has speed AND size and a monster pass rush with just its front four.

Sure we have a chance, but this could be a really ugly game too.
----------
Its gonna be a battle of RBs.

Rams defense is allowing an average of 4.5 yrd per play.

I know we have the winning edge when it comes to playoff experience.

The Rams still remember what we did to them last season and Its gonna be a tough game.
---------------
https://boards.atlantafalcons.com/t...get-out-of-la-with-a-w-on-saturday-heres-how/

Want to get out of LA with a "W" on Saturday? Here's how.

SCORE. FRICKIN. POINTS.

We all know that the Rams are the Falcons of last year looking at their offense. They have an innovative HC/OC who dials them up like Shanny for the Falcons of last year. Speaking of Shanny, his 49ers....without their new qb, put up 39 points on them in the best Thursday night game of the year.

The Rams STILL hung 41 points on them. The Eagles had to put 43 points on them to win 43-35. And we would all agree that the Eagles have a defense that should not give up 35 points. Most points they gave up this season.

Now don't get me wrong, their offense HAS been held down at times during this season. Seahawks held them to 10 points. Vikings, 7 points. Redskins 20 points.

Few and far between. Our defense is legit. But they are young. It's going to be a more finesse than power game offensively coming from the Rams. Meaning our defense will have to be prepared mentally to execute physically, CONFIDENTLY.

The Rams are prepared to score points. A lot of points. This game can not be an offensive no show for us on the prime time stage of Saturday night. The defense will not allow us to get blown out, but......the offense has to score at LEAST 28 points to win this game. That 20 point stuff is out of the window now.

It's playoff time.
----------
Stop Gurley and make the young QB have to beat you.
---------
if we can shut down Gurley early, they may stray away from him.
----------
The key to this game is running the ball. We can take advantage of a bad rush defense and take the air out of the ball. Then from that we can throw in some play action.

On defense it's simple too. Stop Gurley and make Goff beat you.

Honestly this game is just like every other game: win the LOS and you win the game.
---------
I guess some people are going to be surprised, but Deion Jones is the perfect antidote for Todd Gurley, and the Rams are going to struggle to move the ball in this one.

Atlanta might struggle too.

Expect a lower scoring game if both teams can avoid turnovers.
---------
Plain and simple the defense needs to get off the field, and give the offense more opportunities to score. Right now everyone is pumping their chests quoting our "top 10" defensive stats, but when you look at it on a per drive or per play basis, it tells a different story. We are at the bottom of the league in number of offensive drives per game, and pretty bad in points per drive allowed and yards per drive allowed.
---------
I think we also need our special teams to play conservatively.

• Don't attempt kick-off returns, 25 yard default start is fine
  • Even if it means less yards don't get penalized
---------
The Falcons have got to stop holding on every punt return, it's gotten comical at this point. Just don't even block the gunners at all and call for a fair catch.
----------
Make Goff uncomfortable all game long, we win. Added to that the pressure they will be under to win. The Falcons have no reason to be under any pressure.
----------
I always reference the Hawks@Rams game
----------
The world thinks the Rams offense is unstoppable....I believe they will be very surprised to see how well the Falcons defense matches up with them...

Their secondary is suspect...they will be completely overmatched...

Their DLine is tremendous against the pass but weak against the run

Can our line hold up...can Julio feast...will Free and Tev get loose..

If so...there is no way the Rams win this game
------------
The Saints offense is better and more diverse than the Rams offense, and the Falcons did a great job of slowing them down twice.

The Falcons have to take care of the ball and they will win this game.
----------
Run the ball. Rams are 28th against the run. That's the key to victory.
---------
Talk is cheap and I fully agree that containing Gurlie is a big key.

To force the game on Goff Balls is a novel idea but need I remind you of two other factors.

Alford and Trufaunt. I think Tru has become a glue sniffing dumbaszmofo. (4th and short he tries to strip the ball when wrapping up for a stop was all we needed. (Showboat)

Can we beat the Rams? Yes of course we can and the Key to this game is for our team to stay Disciplined and Not try to be a Show off. So there our Game will come down to that and our O Line could easily get jobbed.

The Rams are who their record says they are.
----------
The falcons have least number of drives in NFL, Rams have second most in NFL. If Falcons play slow and methodical Offense, it will be low scoring game. Rams are less efficient than falcons offense on per drive basis.
----------
This defense trained against the top offense last year and held some of the top offenses to the ridiculous lows deep into the third quarter. If the coaches are smart, we can hold them to <20 points.
----------
Rico needs to stay over the top of Woods and Watkins. They aren't elite WRs but have elite speed. We cant get burnt saturday. Keke, Debo and Dre have to be tackling machines. We have to force 2nd, 3rd and longs to keep the offense off balance. Pressure inside to shake the young QB.

Offense has to be committed to run game but similar to Panthers game....find our RBs in space. Julio obviously needs a big play or 2 to keep safeties honest. Donald has to be neutralized. He can wreck a game. Make Quinn or Brockers beat us. QBs hate inside pressure.
-----------
Ah, I remember when the Falcons was the team with the scary offense. If only 20 points was enough to win the Super Bowl last year. Anyway, that's bygone now. The Rams offense is very good but they can be had. Against a healthy Seattle team they struggled to move the ball and got shut down by the Vikings. We should know better than most by now that even an elite offense can be slowed or shut down by a defense that executes its game plan excellently.

Now here's some stats that are sure to shock a few of you. Bolded and underlined are leading numbers. We're literally better than the Rams in almost every way except for rushing (same) and scoring. We've struggled to score, sure, but that can change at any moment.

Total offense:

Falcons (#8 in NFL, #3 in NFC): 364.8 YPG

Rams (#10 in NFL, #5 in NFC): 361.5 YPG

Rushing offense:

Falcons (#13 in NFL, #7 in NFC): 115.4 YPG, 4.3 YPC, 430 attempts

Rams (#8 in NFL, #6 in NFC): 122.1 YPG, 4.3 YPC, 454 attempts

Passing offense:

Falcons (#8 in NFL, #4 in NFC): 249.4 YPG

Rams (#10 in NFL, #6 in NFC): 239.4 YPG

Total defense:

Falcons (#9 in NFL): 318.4 YPG

Rams (#19 in NFL): 339.6 YPG

Scoring defense:

Falcons (#8 in NFL): 19.7 PPG

Rams (#12 in NFL): 20.6 PPG
-----------
That’s Coz Falcons ST sucks and lack of Turnovers on defense. Rams offense doesn’t need to drive 70-80 yards to score most of the TD. 1/3rd of their season TD were starting with in opponents territory averaging 27 yards/TD. If there is any team which will make you pay for poor ST, it’s the Rams.
----------
Until I see this Falcons team play well without so many unforced errors and make plays when they have the chance. I don't care who they play anyone can beat them we have all seen it.

People you need to pump the brakes if you think the Falcons are just going into LA and walk out with an easy win.

If the Falcons clean it up and play well then they can beat any team in the NFL. They have to focus on one play at a time and not get ahead of themselves. The coaching staff also needs to clean up the bad decisions.
----------
You have to bottle up Gurley and make Goff beat us. He's young with no big game experience. If he can beat the defending NFC Champions then salute to him, but I like our chances in a situation where it comes down to Goff needing to pull magic outta his azz.
How convenient, they left out the Rams SCORING offense.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
How convenient, they left out the Rams SCORING offense.

They also are citing season figures, and not what the Rams averages were after week 16 - since week 17 was without all of their best players. I somehow suspect the scoring average against their defense was lower than after week 17, and I am sure the Rams averaged a healthy number of yards more in games that featured Gurlie and Goff.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...concerned-by-rams-lack-of-playoff-experience/

Sean McVay not concerned by Rams’ lack of playoff experience
Posted by Mike Florio on January 2, 2018

898114238-e1514948863849.jpg

Getty Images

The Rams haven’t been to the playoffs in years. Which means that not many members of the team have playoff experience.

How much does that worry first-year coach Sean McVay?

“I don’t think it’s a concern,” McVay told reporters on Tuesday. “I do think that we have a confident group, I think we’ve got a mature group for a young football team and then those guys in that locker room, the guys that have been in playoff atmospheres, we’ve got coaches that have been there as well, can provide that leadership in terms of what to expect.

“But, at the same token, we know the expectations, we know what’s at stake at this game. I think the consistency in terms of our approach and our preparation is important to be mindful of.

Our team has done a great job of kind of handling a lot of different things throughout the course of the year, whether it be traveling more miles than anybody in the league, kind of responding from losses the right way and I think they’re excited about the opportunity to play in front of a great home crowd on Saturday night where you’re the only game playing and those are fun opportunities that they’ve earned to be in this situation and doing it against the reigning NFC champs provides an excellent opportunity.

It’s still football, we’ll be very consistent with our approach and I think the guys will be excited about it, but you do have a respect for the experience factor and how that comes into play, but I think our guys are confident from what they’ve done this year and they’re looking forward to the chance to be able to play in an atmosphere like that.”

It helps to have defensive coordinator Wade Phillips, whose playoff experience resulted in a Super Bowl win two years ago. It also helps to have tackle Andrew Whitworth, who has been through plenty of playoff games in Cincinnati. Linebacker Connor Barwin also has experience from his time in Houston and Philadelphia. Beyond that, however, the Rams are heading into a wild-card game against a team that has plenty of recent playoff experience — including a Super Bowl that went to overtime.

The challenge for the Rams will be to meet the increased intensity of a single-elimination setting, and to find a way to fight through any adversity that may come before the lead becomes insurmountable.

You know, like 28-3.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree, especially after that epic choke in the superbowl.
Looking back, as we often do, the Falcons coach was the worst clock manager. Even if they went 3 and out and had to punt, just take every second off the clock by running the ball, including a delay of game on the punt. It's funny to look back and see how he had brain fart after brain fart and played perfectly into the choke job.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
View: http://www.atlantafalcons.com/straight-from-the-beek/article-1/Questions-about-the-Falcons-defense-the-Rams-offense-jersey-color-for-wild-card-game-more/20990459-f409-4510-8bdd-3a6bcab81b18

QUESTIONS ABOUT THE FALCONS DEFENSE, THE RAMS OFFENSE, JERSEY COLOR FOR WILD-CARD GAME, MORE
Matthew Tabeek

SFTB_Vic-Rams0103_CP.jpg

Chris from Fresno, CA

Will we wear our home uniform against the Rams? Will the Rams be wearing all-white or all-yellow?

Matt: The Rams will wear their white jerseys for this one. So that means that the Falcons will indeed wear red jerseys.
--------------
Dylan from Canton, GA

I know you do not like looking too far ahead but, I think that the Falcons have a very good shot at making another Super Bowl run. They play a playoff-inexperienced Rams team with a new coach. If we do win this game, we would play the Philadelphia Eagles without Carson Wentz, which would make it an easier game unless Nick Foles goes off.

If you win that game, you go on to the NFC Championship Game and play the Panthers/Saints/Vikings winner, teams the Falcons have played this year and know pretty well, especially the Panthers and Saints. What are your thoughts?

Matt: I can tell you’ve been reading because you’re right, I think it’s fruitless to look beyond any opponent. So much can happen (and change) in the NFL on any given week. Yes, I think the experience of having made a postseason run last season and understanding the finality of it all should serve these Falcons well, especially in their preparation and overall mindset this week.

But, in the end, these games come down to the players – talent, execution and avoiding mistakes will determine which team advances to play another week. The Falcons have one opponent right now: the Rams. The rest is a bunch of “what if” scenarios that won’t mean a darn thing without a win on Saturday.
------------
First off, WERE IN THE BIG DANCE! I’ve been rooting for these Falcons all year through the good and bad and we finished our season strong. The defense seems to be rolling, which is a great thing heading into the playoffs. We all know our offense is a sleeping giant that can awaken at any moment. My question is, what problems do you believe the Rams defense will present to Atlanta’s offense? Also, I enjoy this column you have! Keep up the good work!

Matt: You’re right about the Falcons defense – that group has played really well this season. This team is much more balanced now – it’s not all offense, all the time in high-scoring games. That’s not this team’s identity anymore. As far as the Rams go, they’ve got one of the best (if not the best) defensive tackles in the NFL in Aaron Donald. He’s a special talent who can wreak a lot of havoc inside, blowing up run plays and bringing pressure up the middle to disrupt the timing in the passing game. The Falcons must have a plan for him.

On the other side of the ball, Todd Gurley makes them go on offense. The third-year running back out of Georgia is having a fantastic year that’s put him in the discussion for the NFL Most Valuable Player award. Gurley led the NFC in combined rushing and receiving yards during the regular season, finishing with 2,093 total yards from scrimmage and a league-leading 19 touchdowns, despite missing the Rams’ regular-season finale.

Gurley gained over 100 total yards in 12 of the 15 games he played this season, and he gained more than 100 yards as both a runner and a receiver in the Rams’ Week 16 victory over the Titans, becoming just the third player in NFL history to accomplish such a feat. For more on the matchup, check out our piece on how the Falcons stack up against the Rams.
----------
What are the biggest factors to such a dramatic turnaround for the Rams this year and what can the Falcons take advantage of? Outside of Aaron Donald and Todd Gurley (maybe Sammy Watkins), it doesn’t seem like a team that really strikes fear into you, but obviously they do a lot of things well!

Matt: Every week we put out a piece on how to watch the Falcons games online or on TV, and it’s helpful especially if you’re in a different media market. Here is this week’s post on the Falcons-Rams game. Well, when you mention Donald, Gurley and Watkins – that’s quite a handful right there. And no one should take this team lightly.

It’s been quite a turnaround this year in L.A. – and the biggest reason for it is head coach Sean McVay and his staff, including defensive coordinator Wade Phillips. Think, too, for a minute about where this team was when he took over: the Rams finished last in the NFL in yards after each of the previous two seasons and outside the top 20 in offensive DVOA (Defense-adjusted Value Over Average) after each of the previous 10 seasons.

As this piece from Alden Gonzalez points out, McVay overhauled the offense, which helped Gurley and Jared Goff blossom. How? The Rams got better at receiver, adding Watkins, Robert Woods, Cooper Kupp and Gerald Everett. Don’t forget they still have Tavon Austin, too. And they upgraded the left tackle position big time by adding Andrew Whitworth in free agency.
-----------
I saw that Taylor Gabriel got hurt against the Panthers. How bad is it and will he play against the Rams?

Matt: Gabriel injured his hamstring during the game. He was listed on the Falcons injury report Tuesday and was limited in practice. We should know more about his status for the Rams game later in the week.
-----------
I think we have a real chance at limiting Todd Gurley, after only allowing Alvin Kamara to 2.7 yards per run and Christian McCaffrey to 2.3 in our latest two meetings. If we get Jared Goff throwing more, is that the best way to win?

Matt: Your stats are correct, but just because the Falcons held Kamara and McCaffrey to less than 3 yards per run doesn’t mean the same will be true against Gurley, who is averaging almost 5 yards per run (4.7). In the four games that the Rams lost this season with Gurley playing (he sat out the finale), teams held him to less than 100 yards rushing.

While there is no magic or guaranteed formula, yes, limiting Gurley and making the Rams more one-dimensional would likely bode well for the Falcons. They won’t be an easy out, though. If you recall the Eagles-Rams game back on Dec. 10, Philly escaped with a 43-35 win – and that was with Carson Wentz (who suffered a season-ending injury later in that game).
-----------
Not only were the Falcons 5-3 at home and away, they were a dropped pass in Charlotte from 6-2, three miscues in New England, and three miscues in New Orleans from 8-0. I wish we were smoother, but winning ugly is a win.

Although on the road, if we take it one game at a time and perform better in short yardage, I like our chances in L.A., then Philly, then, most likely, New Orleans. Speaking of short yardage, do you think they now realize we lost an all-pro fullback? It looks like an area from improvement for next year. Go Falcons.

Matt: Winning in the NFL is never easy, especially on the road. And I could care less in what it looks like – they all count the same, pretty or not. And I definitely agree with the “take one game at a time” approach, JC.

Yes, the Falcons have been inconsistent at times in short-yardage situations during the season, but you can only worry about and coach up the players on this roster – not the ones who are no longer here (and I’m assuming you mean the departure of fullback Patrick DiMarco, who’s now in Buffalo). Winning in the trenches and getting that push up front will be key against the Rams.
----------
Huge question regarding Adrian Clayborn. Seemed like he got emotional on the bench after his leg injury and that usually is a sign that your season is over. Please say it isn't so ... Big AC missed last year’s playoffs as well and we need him big time, as he's having his best season. Beek, tell me he's playing against the Rams or I'll be crying as well.

Matt: Clayborn was officially listed as limited on Tuesday’s injury report with a calf injury. As with any injury, we should know about more his status for the Rams game as the week progresses and we receive more updates.
-----------
I know there are fans out there that have been down on Matt Ryan and Steve Sarkisian, but I read something that surprised me. Everybody is saying Ryan is having a bad year, but Sark has generally put them in position to make plays.

Here’s something – the Falcons led the league in drops this season with 28. Only 11 last season. Just something I thought I’d throw out there. You probably knew this but maybe not all the masses. It’s not on Matt or Sark. I’m not sure how many of these turned into interceptions but these are plays the receivers generally made last year. Anyway, we are in and the defense has totally stepped up this year.

Matt: You are correct about the drops and deflected passes. They were much more of an issue, earlier in the season. And yes, some of them did result in turnovers (see the Lions game as an example).
-----------
I really and truly believe that we will win, taking it one game at a time and win these next four games focusing on the opponent in front of us first. My question is, don’t you think, as I do, that offensively as long as the Falcons start out mixing running the football and passing to Devonta Freeman and Tevin Coleman that we cannot be stopped?

You see when they throw to our two highly skilled all-purpose backs, it attacks the opposing defense then BAM!! Jones for 27, Sanu for 18, Hooper for 12, then back to Freeman running, then Coleman for a 14-yard reception, then Freeman for a 17-yard reception. Do you see where I’m going with this?

An offensive rhythm as long as we keep throwing to our backs, no defense can stop us. Freeman and Coleman are the key to our passing game being super successful and they open things up for Julio Jones, Mohamed Sanu, etc. Also, is there any updated status on Taylor Gabriel and Adrian Clayborn? We need them both they are vital to our success.

Matt: Yes, the Falcons are much more effective moving the ball and sustaining drives if they are balanced with both the run and pass. An effective running game also opens up the Falcons passing game, especially the play-action – and those explosive plays downfield. Unstoppable might be a little strong, though. As with any game, if the Falcons are efficient on third down and in the red zone, good things should follow. On the flip side, the Falcons defense will need to come up big in those same areas.
-----------
I am perplexed that we are one of the most penalized teams in the league. We are constantly getting big plays called back by a stupid penalty, like blocking someone in the back. It seems to me like this is a coaching/discipline problem, since these guys are professional athletes. I really like Quinn as a coach but is he too lenient with the guys on this? What is your opinion on this?

Matt: I’m going to disagree with you on this one. Unless I’m reading the statistics wrong, the Falcons are not among the most penalized teams in the league – on offense or defense. But I will say this much, they have had some untimely and costly penalties at different times this season. Some of have cost the Falcons turnovers, first downs and scores – which, in close games, can mean the difference sometimes between winning and losing.
----------
My question to you is Hooper seems like a force, when used but we rarely use him to catch passes. Opening up the middle with him in route will loosen the linebackers and help free and Coleman break runs. Any reason we are not using Hooper as much, throwing to him more. He is solid. I think he can be a significant difference-maker.

Hooper has been targeted 65 times this season and he’s caught 49 passes for 526 yards and three touchdowns. That’s up considerably compared to last season when he hauled in 19 catches for 271 yards and three scores. That’s decent growth for the second-year tight end out of Stanford.
----------
https://boards.atlantafalcons.com/topic/4060310-key-to-the-game-battle-of-field-position/

Key to the game: Battle of field position

iu

Falcons offense has to work hard while Rams offense is smart with short field position thanks to their defense and ST.

TD DRIVES by the Offenses.

Falcons : TD: 34 (only 2 with short field position)

Rams: TD: 46 (17 with short field position) More than 1/3rd of the Rams TD were from short field position, moving the ball only 27 yards on average/TD.

Average Yards/TD: TOP/TD : Plays/TD:

Falcons : 73.6 (32) : 4:02 Min/TD drive (29) : 8.3 (30)

Rams : 56(2) : 2:43 min (1) : 5.6 plays (1)

The key to stopping Rams is to not give a short field position, the Rams lead the NFL with 89% scoring (TD & FG) when starting in opponents territory.

Rams are opposite of Falcons, they are second in NFL with least yards needed to score TD. Rams are number 1 in least time and least number of plays needed to score TD

Total Drives on Offense: Scoring % : Punt %: Turn over %

Rams: 189 (13) : 45%(2): 34%(4) : 9.5%(11)

Falcons:165 (32): 41.2%(6) :32%(1):10.2%(12)

Falcons punt less than Rams but Rams have better scoring % /drives because of the short field position. Falcons have one of the best scoring % for long TD.

Falcons have least amount offensive drives in the NFL because of the field position and lack of turnovers and defense not getting off the field.

The Falcons are not much worse than Rams in Turnover % even after all those bizarre butt interceptions and Freeman fumbles.

Drives starting inside the own 20:

Falcons: 53/165 ( Almost 1/3rd of the Falcons drive start inside their own 20). Falcons scored 11 TD (3rd best in NFL) starting deep inside their side of the field.

Rams: 47/189 Drives. Rams scored only 6 TD from deep inside their field.

TD%:Scoring %: Punt%: Turnover % (inside own 20)

Falcons TD% : 20.8%(6) Scoring% : 35.8%(3) Punt % : 39.6%(1) Turnover % : 11.3% (16)

Rams TD% : 12.8%(19) Scoring% : 29.8%(10) Punt % : 40.4%(2) Turnover % : 17% (27)

TLDR;

Rams offense thrives on short field position, they have the best starting field position in NFL. Rams just need 56 yards, 2:43 min and 5.6 plays on an average to score a TD. Falcons are the opposite of Rams, Falcons need 73 yards, 4:02 min and 8.3 plays to score a TD.

Rams offense is worse than Falcons when starting inside their own 20. Rams are 19th in NFL in TD% and 27th in NFL In turnover % when starting inside the 20.

Falcons have least punt% in NFL When starting inside their 20.

This is the game the ST and defense needs to step up to pin the Rams deep inside their own territory and give offense better starting position. Falcons are used to playing deep inside their own field, Rams not so much.
---------
It's become usual to see the Falcons starting inside their own 20. Whether it be a holding call on a punt/KO return or our defense allowing the opposing offense to gain yards early, even though the Falcons D stops them they still punt from their own 40 yd line many, many times.
--------
At this point, id rather we just fair catch most and go for punt blocks....harder to get penalized.
---------
Win field position and win the game. Simple enough.. Right?
---------
So why do they have so much luck in field position? Special teams, turn overs?
----------
Defensive turnovers and ST.
--------
It’s not the kicker but Punt/Kick off return coverage. Also defense can’t let Rams punt from mid field and Pin the Falcons offense inside 10-20 yard line. And those stupid ST penalties can change the game. All three Falcons units should compliment each other.
---------
Lose field position to Rams, falcons chances of losing are high. May be slowing down the pace and grinding out isn’t a bad idea.
----------
If it comes down to ST we are not winning folks. I just hope we don't have any major gaffes.
----------
Defense can't allow long drives that pin the offense deep and they need to get turnovers. Period. They aren't terrible on a per drive basis, they just don't get enough. Give the offense more possessions by getting three and outs and turnovers.
--------
It will come down to our WRs vs the Rams mediocre secondary.
----------
mediocre ??? like our recievers have been?? still dropping balls left and right lol
----------
I think if we just start kneeling every kickoff, fair-catch Franks every punt, and kick every kick-off and punt out of the end zone we would be much better off than we have been. I know Quinn likes to be aggressive in all three phases, but for the playoffs I would like to see us play conservative just in this one phase.
----------
https://boards.atlantafalcons.com/topic/4060317-rams-kicking-situation-something-to-consider/

Rams kicking situation something to consider

One of the smaller factors that could become very important on Saturday night is the place-kicking situation for LA. Sam Ficken took over just two weeks ago when Greg Zuerlein was placed on IR. Ficken missed his first PAT and first FG. While I don't think you can EXPECT the kid to just miss easy kicks, I DO think that the mental approach as the Rams approach the scoring area changes when they have less confidence in their kicker.

I think we will see the Rams gamble on fourth down more often, and that is something the Falcons have to be prepared for, not only on fourth down, but also on the third down snap. If it is 3rd and 5 at the 30, a draw to Gurley or toss might be in order if the Rams are expecting to go for it anyways.

Whether this turns out to be any sort of an advantage is largely based on how other aspects of the game go, but it could become a factor in a close game.
-----------
I too believe it will be a close game, but I'd love to see a Falcon slaughter to shut some folks up and to make other teams a bit more nervous.
-----------
Inexperienced coach, inexperienced kicker, inexperienced QB -- all in a playoff scenario. With great weather.
-----------
https://boards.atlantafalcons.com/topic/4060304-wild-card-weekend-refs/

Wild Card Weekend Refs

Looks like we got Hochuli
----------
Honestly, the one guy who's scruples I do not question.
----------
Hochuli - 13.69 penalties/game-both teams (league average 13.36), Home Team 53.42% of penalties (5.64% above league average), Home Team Winning % 56.3% (only 0.01% from league average)

The stats do suggest a rather unbiased and non-flag-happy game? The home teams have gotten more flags than normal but does not reflect in home team winning %.

He called the game against Dallas this year we won, which had 5 penalties on us and 5 penalties on Dallas.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/officials/HochEd0r.htm
-----------
He actually has good rapport with Ryan so I think we got the best turd of the bunch.
----------
Hochuli is good for at least one " Well we have reviewed that penalty and we will reverse the call on the Field" penalties. Hopefully for us.
---------

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWElFC1zHjs

----------
Ole Ed is gonna get his camera time, you can BANK on that
-----------
Hoc dont make many mistakes, and the NFL selects the Best Ref's (fewest mistakes) for the Super Bowl, and Eddie just loves to show off his Guns in front of the largest audience.

96GS#007

Pro Bowler
They also are citing season figures, and not what the Rams averages were after week 16 - since week 17 was without all of their best players. I somehow suspect the scoring average against their defense was lower than after week 17, and I am sure the Rams averaged a healthy number of yards more in games that featured Gurlie and Goff.

....not to mention what our stats would look like had the offense played entire games. McVay showed his class and let the Seahawks off easy at 42-7. Ditto with the Giants, Colts, Cardinals, and Texans

I so don't fear the Falcons, it makes me nervous. Then again, they're like "Seattle East" and I think we have a good handle on their approach to D. I also think as others have stated, that they'll be stunned as AD wrecks their O. He's a man possessed.

…..

Legend
I dont remember who it was but someone posted a few tweets from Mike Conti. (@Memphis Ram )?

If you want ANY good Falcons news, Conti is the guy to follow so that was a good grab.

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
If they really think Deion Jones is going to stone wall Gurley they have another thing coming. Jones is fast but he doesn't want to see TG 1 on 1 in the open field.