What Falcons Fans Are Saying Before The Game

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://www.thefalcoholic.com/2018/...st-pressing-falcons-rams-questions-right-here

Ask Turf Show Times your most pressing Falcons-Rams questions right here
Get your Rams questions answered for the next hour.
By Dave Choate

900664214.jpg.0.jpg

The Rams and Eagles are the only two playoff teams in the NFC the Falcons didn’t wind up playing this year, which means they’re relative unknowns to the average Falcons fan. That’s a problem, considering that the Rams are this weekend’s Wild Card opponent.

To help remedy that, we’ve brought aboard 3k, the editor-in-chief at Turf Show Times. He knows Todd Gurley like the back of his hand, he’s spent time hanging out in Aaron Donald’s shrubs, and he once rode on a bus with Jared Goff. He’s also a great guy and a knowledgeable Rams fan who can give you answers to any questions you might have about this team, the year they’ve had, and where they might end up in the years ahead.

If you have a Rams question, in other words, he’s well-equipped to answer it, and he’s here for the next hour. Consider this an Ask Him Anything, or an AHA (not the band).

Ask him your questions!
----------
I had a question pertaining to your offensive line. How are they against speed rushers? I ask because I’m very interested in seeing how they handle Tak and Vic on the outside.

Also I wanted to ask how you believe your CBs will handle a WR as physical as Sanu.
----------
They've been wonderful all year
Probably the most underdiscussed aspect of the team this year relative to their importance, though you could make an argument for health. And really, that’s where the discussion about the O-line has to start. Going into Week 17, the Rams were the only team in the NFL to play all five offensive starters every game. Last week, we sat the starters against the Niners out of precaution for health having locked up home field this round of the playoffs. But they’ve been great all year.

LT Andrew Whitworth has been a MASSIVE upgrade over former LT Greg Robinson. Not sure there’s a position the Rams got better at over the offseason at moreso than left tackle. C John Sullivan’s experience with Rams HC Sean McVay during their time in Washington meant that Sully didn’t have to learn a whole new offense with line protection calls. And LG Rodger Saffold has stayed healthy en route to maybe the best season of his eight-year career.

As for the CBs, they were strong in all facets prior to losing CB Kayvon Webster to IR a few weeks back. I’m a bit concerned at the spot across from CB Trumaine Johnson who is great in physical battles, but the safety duo of Lamarcus Joyner and John Johnson is so damn good I’m not overly worried about one CB’s individual play.

Posted by 3k
-----------
After we win
whom will you guys mock to your team with that mid 20’s pick?
---------
I'm not worried about the 2021 Draft
Wait, you’re talking about this year?

Posted by 3k
------------
Rams OC Matt LaFluer was the QB Coach during the Shanahan regime on offense. How similar would you say the current Rams scheme is to the 2016 Falcons?
I know McVay is an offensive mind and, like Quinn, he had his hands deep in designing the scheme, but McVay also worked under Shanahan in Washington and likely uses similar West Coast concepts.

Also, do you think having LaFluer might give the Rams a bit of an advantage defensively, since he knows the Falcons scheme inside and out?
---------
There's some WC stuff but it's more package options built off of screens and motion
MUCH MORE FUN THAN FISHERBALL SWEET LORD ON HIGH THANKS FOR DELIVERING US FROM EVIL.

The thing for LaFleur is he’s in more for mid-week adjustments and an eye in the sky during the game. With McVay’s experience as an OC in Washington, he had to come in calling his own plays. Handing that off for a coach of his experience would have been to big of an ask. What will be interesting will be to see the relationship develop.

LaFleur is going to want playcalling duties eventually. McVay got em in his second year as OC in Washington. Could LaFleur earn them next season? Will McVay ever give them up with us? That’s one of the things I’m eager to hear about in the offseason.

Posted by 3k
----------
It if makes you feel better, I really prefered to keep LaFluer and promote him to OC. He seems like a talented mind.
----------
I actually like you guys more than any other NFC playoff team
Disappointed that we have to face off first, but such is life.

You guys are .500 at home, even while adjusting from the London game and the last game where you rested your starters. Is this a concern for this playoff game? Do you think it’s more about lower attendance numbers or just knowing that the current stadium is just temporary?

You guys have avoided playing a team with WR like Julio ( (Dez and an aging Fitz are good, and Hopkins is great, but not as dangerous with savage). How do you think the defense will adjust or not adjust for #11?

Your screen game is a huge part of your offense, are there any teams this year that did a good job of shutting it down? How can Atlanta do that?

Good luck, and no matter which team wins, let’s agree that the Saints and the Panthers are the worst.
----------
I'm not really all that put off by the home record
Played some very good teams at home this year. The Seattle & Philly losses were good battles between good teams. The Washington one was irksome, but it was early in the season and we had a TON to work on. Last week was a weird preseason game in December. So I think it’s one of those things that looks distorted versus the reality.

And everyone has avoided playing a team with a WR like Julio because there is only one Julio.

As for the screen, the real answer is no. Nobody has really shut it down because it’s just a very effective tool against teams that blitz heavily especially with a weapon as athletic as Todd Gurley. The real answer on how to stop the screen? Don’t blitz heavy on 1st or 2nd down. Of course the risk there is that you don’t get a great pass rush or run penetration, but yanno…You can’t have everything. Pick your poison.

Posted by 3k
-------------
What worries you most about Saturday’s game? I keep wavering between thinking the Falcons will bring home the win to getting blown out. Are Rams fans feeling the same way?
----------
I think what worries me most is just the lack of experience.
Obviously, Matt Ryan has been in these kind of wars before. Last year though, you guys got your head coach and key players on both sides the experience of the weight of the playoffs. The sheer weight of the small space between success and failure and what those really mean.

So if we get into the second half, I just worry that Jared Goff has never had to carry a team in these circumstances. Sean McVay has never coached a playoff game. Guys like Todd Gurley and Rodger Saffold and Robert Quinn and Trumaine Johnson have never done this. They’ve never dealt with the weight of playoff football and I just worry that the advantage you guys have there will be one that will be difficult to overcome ESPECIALLY if this one is close late.

Posted by 3k
----------------
Underrated player to watch out for?
Every team’s fanbase believes they have a player on their roster that does not get enough attention for what they bring to each game. Personally, I did not watch or follow the Rams very closely this year, so I’m interested to here about an under-the-radar player we should watch out for.
-------
On offense, I'd point to WR Cooper Kupp
He’s been a strong rookie standout in a year of disappointing rookie WRs in the league. The 7th WR taken in the draft, he came in on the back of huge numbers out of Eastern Washington. While he’s had some disappointing (and untimely) drops, he’s also made some heady plays for a rookie. And in a system that doesn’t promote any target moreso than any other (which has a despressing effect on a guy like WR Sammy Watkins but an elevating effect on Kupp), he’s come up big plenty of times.

Defensively in terms of underrated, I’d point to DB Lamarcus Joyner. He’s just a phenomenal talent. He played slot corner for most of his career before moving back to safety this year. He’s physical, he’s smart, and he’s athletic. He’s good.

Posted by 3k
---------
Kicker
How is the general feeling in the fanbase about Sam Ficken? I read today that McVay has some uncertainty when it comes to him kicking long field goals. That’s not a great spot to be in and could make them go for it 4th more often than we would like. If this turns into a FG game…. that HEAVILY favorites Matt Bryant and the Falcons.
----------
We're Ficken worred, friend
It is what it is. Losing Greg Zuerlein in and of itself was near disastrous. It’s not just that he’s been automatic under 50 this year. It’s also that he has the leg to hit from about 70. So losing a kicker in both distance and accuracy is always going to hurt.

The problem of course is that the labor pool is really thin at kicker. The Rams lost CB Kayvon Webster around the same time, but we have other corners on the roster who we’ve groomed all year and have gotten some key snaps throughout the season. That’s just not the case at kicker. So when GZ went down, we held open auditions for about 12 guys who were to that point unemployed. For a reason.

So the drop off is huge. The impact is huge. The hope is that the Rams can play around the issue well enough to not have to rely on Ficken.

I saw a group of odds recently at Sports Betting Dime (whoever the hell that is) that released odds on "Odds the following kickers miss a game-winning or tying field-goal attempt in the final minute of the Wild Card game if they have the chance." The odds on Ficken were 1:1.

Yeah.

Posted by 3k
----------
Can we just have this one?
Your fans will be content no matter what, you’re playing with house money at this point. We need this!
----------
Dude...we haven't had a winning season since 2003
Perhaps you are thinking of a different franchise?

Posted by 3k
-----------
That's my point!
Y’all can be content with a playoff appearance. We gotta win the SB!

For the record, I’ve always liked the Rams. They’re one of the four or five teams that I always root for when I can, aside from the Falcons. Also, ask anyone who was around here in 2013— I was and still am a big Steven Jackson fan.
----------
How has Goff done without Kupp?
----------
Well, he hasn't really had to do without him this year!
Kupp only missed this last week, so it’s definitely a source of strength that we’ve had the connection available all year

Posted by 3k
-------------
How do you feel your interior o line will fair against Poe, Jarrett and Rubin?
Also, how are your linebackers on covering athletic backs? Lastly, is there any one defensive player that worries you on the falcons. Thanks for hanging with us!
---------
The CB opposite of Tru is what worries me the most.
Linebackers are iffy. They have good days and they have bad days. Just depends on who shows up. Not really concerned about the interior o line. They have been performing well lately against some good guys that include Fletcher Cox and Sheldon Richardson.
----------
On the offensive line, feeling pretty good
We’ve held our own all year.

And on the linebackers, pretty solid in general. Mark Barron is a plus run defender. The only real issue there is Ogletree working to get through blocks. He’s athletic as hell (I’m sure there are plenty of UGA fans who remember him at OLB), but he’s not a traditional ILB. He can get washed out pretty easily, and he’s not a great tackler.

Posted by 3k
----------
Whose someone we probably don't know on the Rams that we should be watching?
---------
Josh Johnson, rookie safety.
He has shown up in run defense but his coverage skills are very up and down. Another guy would be Michael Brockers. You may have heard of him, but he does all of the dirty work in the trenches so that guys like Aaron Donald get 1 on 1s.
---------
We better have a different plan than run2x up the gut and then pass. 280 DT run stops is no joke.
----------
Do the Rams have any natural rivals or predators?
Falcons hate the Saints and Seahawks and the feeling is mutual.
---------
The big old school rivalry is the 49ers
But the modern NFC West setup obviously pits us against the Seahawks and Cardinals. I’d guess if you polled younger fans, they’d point to the Seahawks first. I probably don’t get to count myself against younger fans. So my hate for Niners runs deep.

I remember the Great Dry Spell in our rivalry with San Fran from 1990-1998 in which we beat them exactly 0 times. That was not, what I believe the kids call, "fun."

Posted by 3k
---------
The NFCW is about to really wake up again
People are writing the Seahawks off as the LOB slowly disbands, but I’ll believe they actually suck when they actually play like it for a full season one time. Kyle Shanahan is a wizard and he has his QB now, and Sean McVay just might be his better. It’ll be fun to see what the Cards do at HC and in the draft.

https://boards.atlantafalcons.com/t...rowing-and-wont-use-gurley-until-second-half/

Rams will come out throwing and won't use Gurley until second half

Rams will be predominately passing early on and then as our defense gets tired will run Gurley.

Beasley, Takk, Alford and Trufant have to have games of their lives.
----------
They better be discipline and watch for the play action. We think they're going to come out running and LB are crowding the LOS. Then hit us with a big play across the middle or downfield
----------
We go on top early and big, help take Gurley out of the game...least ways that's what I'm hoping for
----------
I think they'll come out running it and when we shut down Gurley they'll become one dimensional
----------
Gurley is their #1 receiver.
---------
It’s not like we give up a ton of yards to passing teams.
-----------
Good thing our LBs are some of the best in pass coverage for RBs
----------
I can see them taking shots, but to try to go into a shootout mode and let their D possibly get tired early vs a sleeping Falcons offense...really want to give them more chances by risking 3&Outs for points right away? Either case puts Falcons O back on the field.

We gotta make sure this rookie HC doesn't get a specific STs fake punt or the like in play either if anything before they decide to come out abandoning the run and not putting Gurley in the driver seat to see if they can win that battle early to some degree.

I mean c'mon it's Goff's first playoff game. You have Gurley. It'd be like if we asked Matt Ryan to throw 40+ times in his first playoff game despite Turner in his prime in that 2008 season. Lol?
----------
Don't think so. They're going to try and establish the run with Gurley first.
----------
I haven't asked the Falcons defense yet, but I'm sure Takk/Beasley/Poe/Jarrett/Reed/Clayborne and several other Falcons defensive players might have you thinking otherwise.

Goff may throw up, but it's hard to throw the ball when you are laying on the ground sacked.

I think this Rams team is overrated and have had an easy schedule this year just looking at it. Just my opinion, and it's been debated on here over and over so I am not going to get into that.

As for having the GAMES OF A PLAYERS LIVES. Really? If you feel that way why not just go ahead and root for the Rams, that's what it sounds like your doing anyway with post like that.

Falcons run stopping in the last 4-5 games has been really good. I don't see Gurley running the entire game at all.

What you fail to mention, Dan Quinn was defensive coordinator for the Seahags for a while and the Rams are in that division, so I would suspect that he knows a little bit about their player personal even being 3 years removed from Seattle. We shall see.

I think the Falcons biggest problem all year on offense is that they haven't played No Huddle offense, and I've said it all year long, if you are a speedy team on offense then you need to play speedy and use that speed to your advantage. Instead the Falcons have tried to play like they need to play a game of Chess and relax on every play. No sense of urgency all year long I think is the biggest problem along with not using the no huddle on offense.

Falcons haven't seemed to play with any sense of urgency all year, as though IT IS OKAY FOR THEM TO LOSE type of attitude so it appears. No NO HUDDLE to extremes like last season, it's like they are playing a chess game and want to sit back and relax and hope the other player doesn't move a certain way.

Just my opinions.............
------------
That would be a recipe for failure by them. Taking your best player (on offense, by far their best guy) out of the game willingly would be pretty stupid.
------------
The Rams throwing constantly would not be good for Goff and their offense. They would need to maintain some sort of balance against the Falcons to keep that pass rush from coming and potentially teeing off on their QB.
-----------
so the Rams are going to lean on a green QB to win the game instead of a MVP candidate that got them where they are?

teams dont change what got them to the playoffs just to be cute, sorry.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
"What you fail to mention, Dan Quinn was defensive coordinator for the Seahags for a while and the Rams are in that division, so I would suspect that he knows a little bit about their player personal even being 3 years removed from Seattle. We shall see. "

My God, how clueless can they be? Just comparing last years Rams with this years team is a dramatic change in starters...

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
They seem very uninformed, or ONLY watch their own team. Not a very football savvy fan base, based on most of what I read. Savvy?

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ing-mark-barron-back-in-the-lineup-this-week/

Rams expecting Mark Barron back in the lineup this week
Posted by Darin Gantt on January 5, 2018

879542096.jpg

Getty Images

The Rams were able to rest a number of players last week, but linebacker Mark Barron‘s been on the mend even longer.

The good news for them is they think he’s going to be ready to get back on the field Saturday against the Falcons.

According to Gary Klein of the Los Angeles Times, Rams coach Sean McVay said he expected Barron to be ready to start this week, after missing most of the last three games.

Barron left the Week 15 game against the Seahawks, and sat out of the following week against the Titans with an Achilles problem. He was held out last week, along with many others.

I feel great,” Barron said. “I mean I’m not 100 percent, but this actually probably is the best I’ve felt in a couple of months, so I’m feeling pretty good.”

The Rams have been monitoring Barron’s health all year, as he didn’t play in the preseason and was limited in camp. He described his situation as “just a lot of little nagging things that I have going on.”

When well, he’s been productive, leading them in tackles and picking off three passes.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/rams/la-sp-rams-lafleur-falcons-20180104-story.html

Rams offensive coordinator Matt LaFleur sees similarities to his former team, the Falcons
Gary Klein

1022x575

Butch Dill / Associated Press

There will be plenty of time for visiting, especially after the game.

That’s why Rams offensive coordinator Matt LaFleur, the Atlanta Falcons’ quarterbacks coach the previous two seasons, has a timeline for pregame reunions Saturday when the Rams host the Falcons in an NFC wild-card playoff game at the Coliseum.

“You try to get the meet-and-greet out of the way early and then go back into the locker room and just kind of just get your mind right for the game,” LaFleur said Thursday, adding, “Try not to ever distract from what you’re there to do.”

After helping the Falcons reach the Super Bowl last season with the NFL’s highest-scoring offense, LaFleur was hired by first-year Rams coach Sean McVay to aid in overhauling what was the league’s worst offense in 2016.

McVay calls the plays, but LaFleur’s fingerprints also are on a dynamic Rams offense that averaged a league-leading 29.9 points per game.

LaFleur, 38, also has combined with McVay and quarterbacks coach Greg Olson to develop second-year quarterback Jared Goff into a top-10 passer.

Studying the Rams’ offense, Falcons coach Dan Quinn recognizes LaFleur’s contribution.

“I’ve definitely seen Matt’s influence along with Sean’s on there,” Quinn said, adding, “There is carryover for sure.”

Less than a year after being part of a team that came within two quarters of defeating the New England Patriots in the Super Bowl, LaFleur is working to eliminate the Falcons and help the Rams advance in their first playoff appearance since 2004.

There are similarities in team cultures, he said.

“Dan Quinn, obviously, I learned a lot from him in terms of how to lead and bring a football team together and play for more than just yourself,” LaFleur said. “I think Sean’s done an unbelievable job here instilling those same values and really changing the culture here, and it’s a close-knit group.”

LaFleur also noted similarities in skill-position talent.

The Falcons feature quarterback Matt Ryan, the 2016 NFL most valuable player, running backs Devonta Freeman and Tevin Coleman, and a receiver corps that features Julio Jones, Mohamed Sanu and Taylor Gabriel.

Goff distributes the ball to running back Todd Gurley — an MVP candidate — and receivers such as Robert Woods, Sammy Watkins and Cooper Kupp.

“Both [teams] have two of the more elite groups in this league,” LaFleur said. “There’s going to be a lot of explosive weaponry on the offensive side of the ball.”

It starts, of course, with the quarterbacks.

Ryan, the No. 3 pick in the 2008 draft, was in his eighth season when LaFleur joined the Falcons’ staff. Goff, the No. 1 pick in 2016, was coming off a tough rookie season when McVay hired LaFleur.

Ryan already had “nailed his process in terms of his preparation, how he went about his business on a weekly basis,” LaFleur said. Goff is young and “working through that process and growing,” he said.

“You’re dealing with a guy who’s played a lot of ball — he’s seen everything he’s going to see,” LaFleur said of Ryan. “And you’re playing with another guy who’s in the infant stages of his career.”

LaFleur spent this week game-planning for a Falcons defense that has shown marked improvement. Last season, the Falcons gave up 371.2 yards and 25.4 points per game. This season, they are surrendering 318.4 yards and 19.7 points per game.

“They are so much more experienced, and it really shows through,” LaFleur said, adding, “They’ve got great speed across the board and you can tell that those guys have played together for a while now.”

McVay and other coaches on the Rams’ staff have tapped LaFleur for information about the Falcons.

But not too much, LaFleur said.

“They study the film,” he said. “They know what Atlanta’s going to do.

“I feel like there’s a happy medium. … I just kind of leave them alone. If they have a question, I’m here for them and I’ll try to do the best I can, but it’s not like I’m sitting there studying their tape.”

LaFleur has the ability to turn a lot of valuable information about the Falcons into “small bite-sized increments for coaches and players,” McVay said.

“But it’s not something that will slow down and kind of make you overthink some things,” McVay said.

LaFleur is looking forward to Saturday’s game but not, he said, because it is against his former team.

“When Saturday arrives and I start to see a lot of those guys, then it will kind of hit you a little bit,” he said, “But to be honest with you, our preparation’s just like any other week.”

http://www.espn.com/blog/atlanta-fa...make-another-playoff-push-off-super-bowl-loss

Falcons looking to make playoff splash a year after Super Bowl loss
Vaughn McClure

The Atlanta Falcons avoided a complete Super Bowl hangover by finishing 10-6 and earning the NFC's final wild-card berth. Heading into Saturday's road matchup with the No. 3 seed Los Angeles Rams (11-5), the No. 6 seed Falcons hope to rebound from last year's Super Bowl loss to the New England Patriots and make another title run.

Reasons to be excited: The defense, under first-year coordinator Marquand Manuel, made an incredible leap in one season, finishing in the top 10 in scoring defense and total defense for the first time since 1998. Nose tackle Grady Jarrett is playing at an All-Pro level, while Deion Jones, De'Vondre Campbell and Keanu Neal, all 2016 draft picks, made great strides from their rookie seasons.

The Falcons play a fast and physical style, with the type of mindset coach Dan Quinn instilled in his team from the moment he took over as head coach. The three turnovers the Falcons caused against Carolina and Cam Newton in the season finale could be a positive sign. The Falcons allowed just 19.7 points per game this season. They'll be challenged against the Rams, who averaged a league-best 29.9 points per game.

Reasons to be concerned: Injuries and scoring offense. The Falcons limp into the playoffs with key players such as running back Devonta Freeman (knee), wide receiver Julio Jones(ribs/ankle), center Alex Mack(calf), defensive end Adrian Clayborn (calf) and kick returner Andre Roberts (knee, ankle) dealing with injuries. Quinn believes all five players will be fine, but you have to wonder how much those injuries might affect each player, especially guys such as Freeman and Roberts and their ability to run. Jones has shown that he can play through anything and still look as explosive as when healthy.

In terms of scoring, Matt Ryan and the offense haven't been as efficient in the red zone. The Falcons were 2-for-9 in the red zone in their last two regular-season games -- a loss to the Saints and victory over the Panthers -- and finished 23rd out of 32 teams in red zone efficiency while converting 50 percent. In 2016, the Falcons converted 62 percent in the red zone -- part of the reason they led the league with 33.8 points per game. They need to rediscover their scoring magic to enjoy playoff success.

What's next: There's a good reason some call the Falcons a dangerous No. 6 seed. They have the reigning MVP in Ryan, a game-changing receiver in Jones, a dangerous running back combo in Freeman and Tevin Coleman and an improving and fast defense, one in which 2016 sacks leader Vic Beasley Jr. hasn't yet played his best football.

The inexperience of the quarterbacks guiding the top three NFC teams -- Philadelphia with Nick Foles, Minnesota with Case Keenum and Los Angeles with Jared Goff -- gives the Falcons at least a chance to advance, despite their having to win three straight games on the road. Even so, they'll have enough of a challenge against Todd Gurley, Aaron Donald and the Rams before they can look ahead.

View: https://twitter.com/AtlantaFalcons/status/949294628963991552

View: http://www.therams.com/news-and-events/article-1/What-Theyre-Saying-The-Atlanta-Falcons/3d816c63-2666-4bc5-a48e-453974d8d3d7

What They're Saying: The Atlanta Falcons
Kristen Lago

On what they remember from last year’s game against the Rams:

“You said it, it’s not much of a different team than last year. It’s a lot of the same guys. A couple new faces. They are just playing at a really high level. Running the ball really effectively and making some plays in the pass game, so we just have to be really disciplined. I know that we really had our way with these guys last year, but at the end of the day they have a new coach, guys are playing with a whole new swagger about themselves, so I mean it’s a whole new team. We’re excited.”

- Falcons’ DT Grady Jarrett

On what stands out about quarterback Jared Goff and how he has developed:

“He’s been solid as far as leading them to this point. When he’s kind of comfortable in the pocket he’s a lot better than he is on the run. He does a really good job of managing the game and not making a lot of big mistakes.”

“I think like a lot of players, when you go from year one to year two, you can make a big jump. One of the things I thought that has really been strong and not surprised with Matt LaFleur there is his ability to take care of the ball, really good decisions, so I think that to me is –

I knew he had arm talent, that was pretty clear, but now you see with 28 touchdowns and seven interceptions, it’s the decision-making, where to go, when to give it out to somebody else. Those are the things that I’ve noticed and I’ve been certainly impressed by.”

- Falcons’ HC Dan Quinn

On the challenge of facing running back Todd Gurley:

“For a guy who had his size, he had exceptional ability to put his foot in the ground and accelerate out. So he had kind of the combination of the make you miss and the ability to kind of size you up and run you over. What I didn’t know was how good a pass catcher he is, and that part of his game has really come through, especially when year when you see he has over 60 catches. He’s really proved he can handle the load in a big way.

I know his first year it went like he had wanted and the second year not as good as he had liked, and I think maybe even got banged up along the way, but man, is he back to form. He’s an excellent blocker. He shows toughness with the ball and without the ball. So I really sense he’s really hitting his stride as a player, but it’s the ability for him to accelerate, and then if he wants to drop that shoulder and deliver a hit, he can.”

- Falcons’ HC Dan Quinn

On what he has seen from Mark Barron and Alec Ogletree on tape:

“They’re doing a good job. Both those guys are athletic. They can run. You mentioned Barron being a former safety, his athleticism shows up at the linebacker position. They’re both very physical, you see that. They’re both very good in the scheme and to fit the run, they do a good job of getting downhill and making some plays. They also do a good job in coverage, they do they cover well. I think their linebackers fit in well with the scheme that Wade Phillips has for them.”

- Falcons’ QB Matt Ryan

On what has changed on the Rams offense/defense from last year to this season:

“They’re making a lot of big, explosive plays. They’re doing a good job of dividing defense’s down the middle and that’s where Gurley is getting a lot of those runs. Getting into that second level — a back that big going that fast, you don’t want to let him get to the second level. He’s playing with a whole new motor about himself than the year before and guys upfront are playing really hard. So, it’s going to be fun. I’m excited.”

“They’ve got a lot of the same guys, it’s just playing very ferocious. They’re always around the ball. Their front seven is very, very physical. And on the backend, they are making athletic plays so we just have to do what we do and stay within ourselves.”

- Falcons’ WR Mohamed Sanu

On the Rams’ defensive front and how he would rate them against other units they've faced:

“They are very good. You know their front seven is good. They are physical, they do a good job within their scheme, they’re very sound. You know we’ve played a lot of good defenses, a lot of good front sevens and this is going to be another good challenge for us. But this defense is very good. They’re statistics and the way that they’ve played have shown that. We’re going to have our work cut out for us, but we’ll have a good plan and luckily we have a good offensive line — guys that play hard and do a great job.”

- Falcons’ QB Matt Ryan

On what DT Aaron Donald brings to the table:

“Well I think he’s versatile. He’s one of the better players against the run at the position they play him at but he’s probably one of the better interior pass rushers in the league. That creates some problems. I mean he’s just a great player. But we’ll have a plan to account for where he’s at and we certainly trust our guys up front to play well.”

- Falcons’ QB Matt Ryan

“We really value his quickness. My background is in defensive line, so why I think he’s so unique is he’s got the get-off of a defensive end. If he was just playing defensive end, he’d probably do just fine because he’s got that kind of quickness to get off the ball and get on the edge of a blocker. Then, when you add that kind of quickness inside – I think that’s what makes him so unique.

He’s really well trained with his hands. You even saw that coming out of Pitt. He was almost like he was ready back then. Coming out of college he had that kind of quickness, that kind of hand use. You could say he was really well trained there. Man is he having a hell of a year and definitely somebody that’s earned our respect.”

- Falcons’ HC Dan Quinn

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2018/1/5/16851064/wild-card-eight-stats-to-know

The Eight Stats That Matter in the Wild-Card Round
The one number you need to know for each team playing this weekend
By Danny Kelly

Atlanta Falcons (10–6)
The stat: The defense ranked 21st in Football Outsiders’ DVOA defending pass-catching running backs out of the backfield.

The Falcons’ weakness defending running backs out of the backfield is, shall we say, not insignificant against a Rams team that relies so heavily on Todd Gurley (64 catches, 788 yards, six touchdowns) as a pass catcher. For the second straight year, Atlanta gave up more receptions to running backs than any other team in the league, surrendering 107 catches for 802 yards (28th) and four touchdowns (tied for 19th) to that position.

It’s a vulnerability that Sean McVay is sure to exploit when calling plays. It’s not a question of if, it’s when: Gurley’s going to get his shot at doing damage through the air, and the Offensive Player of the Year candidate will be matched up against Atlanta’s athletic linebacker corps.

The speed and play-recognition abilities of Falcons linebackers Deion Jones and De’Vondre Campbell are going to be big factors in this game, as will safety Keanu Neal’s ability to sniff out screen plays and stop Gurley before he gets into the open field. If Atlanta’s defense can pursue and tackle with speed and discipline, it’ll go a long way toward securing the team its upset.

Los Angeles Rams (11–5)
The stat: The defense got pressure on opposing quarterbacks on 31.3 percent of dropbacks, tied for the fourth-highest pressure percentage in the league.

Defensive Player of the Year favorite Aaron Donald is the straw that stirs the drink for the Rams’ pass-rush group, and registered a league-high 91 pressures from his three-technique position on the interior (which, by the way, is absurd). Donald has plenty of help, too, with Robert Quinn (38 pressures), Michael Brockers (32), Connor Barwin (30), Matt Longacre (26), and Ethan Westbrooks (15) all chipping in to move opposing quarterbacks off their spot and force quick throws.

As long as the Falcons have Matt Ryan under center and Julio Jones out wide, they’re a dangerous playoff team. The best way the Rams can get Atlanta’s offense out of rhythm and keep the Falcons off the scoreboard is to get after the quarterback, and they’re primed to do just that with one of the league’s most disruptive fronts.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Falcons had to play balls to the wall for their playoff life last week while the Rams rested most of their starters. Rams will have fresher legs which will be evident in the 2nd half. Rams left side OL of Whitworth, Saffold and Sullivan are going to play their best game of the year with that week off. Gurley should have a monster day.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Bringing out the big guns....insert a gif or pic here....3K Q&A!?!?! WTF!

I forgot they had Poe....I know they do a lot of substituting....kinda like us...I saw Takk in a game...didn't recognize him....he seems too fat for his own good...I can't believe he gained that much weight....I know the food in the Atl is good....and I also heard about chocolate city, and the stuff you eat there isn't fattening...LOL......but he looks like he's eating at See's Candy every night...geez!

Football Outsiders....tough to decipher sometimes...but real shit....that pressure stat...that's a key...and the main reason we can't lose Donald after this year..Kinda wonder where does Quinn stack up on that stat?
Rams gona drive Sark back to drinking
Dude sounded like he was in denial....bet he's already drinking...it's cool in the pros tho

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Man reading through their boards and they sure are cocky. If you listen to them Gurley and the Rams offense is crap and has no chance.

dolphinlover123

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I forgot they had Poe....I know they do a lot of substituting....kinda like us...I saw Takk in a game...didn't recognize him....he seems too fat for his own good...I can't believe he gained that much weight....I know the food in the Atl is good....and I also heard about chocolate city, and the stuff you eat there isn't fattening...LOL......but he looks like he's eating at See's Candy every night...geez!
Hey let's not be so superficial. He's got feelings too.

Liberator

Pro Bowler
Just went to see the Falcons board. My god they are a toxic bunch when someone praises the Rams wow. Falcons are a great team.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
An interesting stat: Matt Ryan is 0-3 in playoff games that are on the road.

View: https://twitter.com/RamsNFL/status/949389072203595776

View: https://twitter.com/AtlantaFalcons/status/949355335759814657

https://www.thefalcoholic.com/2018/...t-the-red-zone-offense-right-to-beat-the-rams

The Falcons must get the red zone offense right to beat the Rams
It hasn’t been right for weeks, as we’ve all noticed.
By Dave Choate

Tomorrow, when the Atlanta Falcons are taking the field and hopefully readying themselves to beat the Los Angeles Rams, it will help to remember this one bit of wisdom that I am about to share with you. That bit of wisdom is that you should always try to score touchdowns.

The Falcons have, of course, struggled with this in recent weeks. Atlanta has managed three touchdowns just once in its last five games, in that 24-21 victory over the Buccaneers that still managed to turn into a nailbiter. In their other four games, the Falcons have scored zero, two, one, and one touchdowns, for a combined total of seven touchdowns in five games. That’s not very good!

It’s little wonder, then, that Steve Sarkisian is talking about spending time working on the team’s red zone performance for Saturday’s game against the Rams. You’re probably not going to beat Los Angeles by kicking a ton of field goals, sadly, so the Falcons will have to bust out of their scoring slump and make some noise inside the 20.

You’ll remember that they moved downfield and had chances against the Saints, Panthers, and even Vikings, but squandered those opportunities thanks to mistakes and uninspiring play calling. It has been a season-long struggle that has become an acute concern, given the postseason stakes the Falcons are now facing.

View: https://twitter.com/vxmcclure23/status/948673590127415297?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.thefalcoholic.com%2F2018%2F1%2F5%2F16847606%2Fthe-falcons-must-get-the-red-zone-offense-right-to-beat-the-rams

There’s no magic bullet for improving this red zone offense, or the team probably already would have found it. They just need to try to get favorable matchups for their best red zone options—and Julio Jones and Austin Hooper, who should qualify for that designation, have not had many—and avoid drops and fumbles. They’re good enough to put up 20-plus points on this good-but-not great Rams defense, but if they’re going to continue to drop the ball (ha) in the red zone, Atlanta will struggle to do so.
-----------
They’re going to move the ball on the Rams, but 20 is not going to come close to doing it. They need to put up 30. I think they might.
----------
More opportunities for both our Running backs to get out on the edge and make something happen. There isn’t a team in the league that can catch either of them if the bounce outside from a goal line formation. Be it a handoff, pitch, or pass, just get them the ball point them to the edge and if there is only one man to beat that is a sure Touchdown.
----------
Rams are quick outside
Teams have had more success running up the gut against them, if we are running on the goalline can we please use a FB!!
---------
If Sark doesn’t throw to TeCo
And we lose, it will be clear that he is inept.
After what we did the last time we faced a Wade Phillips defense (Denver last year).
----------
When was the last time
we saw a surprise onside, or a fake field goal, or a fake punt? Anyone? The Mora era? I’m not saying we should see it often, but we definitely haven’t seen any of them since Dan Quinn took over. Stealing an extra possession once in a while couldn’t hurt.
----------
one other stat beats out redzone conversion rate
the success on deep balls.
redzone appears to be a pressure point for our offense, and the best way to avoid this conversation is to score from beyond the 20.
unfortunately, we’ve had little success with deep balls as well.
----------
I think we are going to need a season high score come tomorrow
---------
Unfortunately we are not going to completely change in one week
So that means it will come down to the defense in limiting the rams – they have scored under 20 pts 6x including last week if you want to count that – not sure we can manage
----------
Fire sarkasian
That’s the only answer. He’s inept. Worst hire in DQ era. McVey will coach circles around them both. DQ, although great on D, is not a head coach. Shanny took care of it before as he was capable, Sark is NOT capable.

I hope I’m wrong but I think we will see a much more talented team (ATL) lose to a less talented team (la) because our coaching is less talented then them all. Still can’t believe Lafluer was allowed to go and quinn hired this moron. I’m loathing the game tomorrow because I know what’s gonna happen.
-------------
Because we made the playoffs, I highly doubt there's any chance DQ cans Sark
Even if we scored 0 points and the Rams defenders are shouting out the playcalls to eachother before we even snap it.
------------
Seems our coaches always want to be "good guys" and never pile it on, even last year when we could have. I prefer the Patriots way. Keep the pedal down because 1) you never know what the rest of the game might be 2) Let our players pad their stats whenever they have the chance, 3) It also builds team stats. Maybe I’m just selfish, but I want to see us with the "glory" stats.

We lost 6 regular season games this year by a combined total of 43 points which shows how improved our defense is. When we get a big lead on an opponent, just open it up. Let the offense roar ! Use it as practice time for trick plays. I’m getting too old to wait much longer. I’ve been totally dedicated for over 50 years. Maybe we would have more pro-bowlers, hall of famers, etc. if we stop the "slowdown". Don’t put the brakes on. Pedal to the metal
------------
https://boards.atlantafalcons.com/topic/4060386-rams-are-a-goodbut-not-great/

Rams are a good..but not great

They were horrible last season and we all know when u dont make the playoffs the season prior that your schedule will be weak. Im very impressed by what they did this year, but a injury riddled Seattle and Arizona will help mask what L.A. really is. They aren't that good against the run, and their secondary meh at best. This game could shape up to be a huge disappointment for L.A and all the pundits.
-----------
Or they could come out and smash the Falcons.

Last time i checked the Falcons had an offense that could disappear and other than the kicker the Rams have a significant advantage in special teams.

The Falcons defense has been good but not great and if the offense has another off day the defense would need to be great.

Don't sleep on the Rams
----------
I don't know man. They beat some good teams, have a winning record against playoff teams, and did what they were supposed to do.
----------
You shouldn't take any team that made the playoffs lightly..they got in for a reason.they are good.its up to Atlanta to exploit whatever weakness L.A. has and win.will they idk but tomarrow starts the climb back.
---------
The Rams have a good team - they are not as good as their hype though. There are quite a few spots where they are vulnerable.
----------
Rams look as good as any team in the playoffs to me.
----------
I still think N.O and Minny are better. The Rams DBs can be had and will on Sunday.
---------
weak schedule helped out by a weak division this season makes them look better than they are.
---------
They didn't play a last-place schedule; San Francisco did. And that makes a difference of literally 2 opponents all year.

They finished 3rd in the NFC West and thus had to play the Vikings and Saints. Both of those teams are also really good.

They went 3-2 against playoff teams and we went 2-5. We played a tougher schedule, but let's not act like the Rams haven't played and beaten a bunch of good teams.
------------
They're a good team. So are we when we play our game and don't shoot ourselves in the foot. If we play our style and limit Gurley we will win.
----------
The Rams are good, let's not be naïve. You don't win 11 games in the NFL if you're not good.

That doesn't mean they will be good tomorrow though, not by any stretch. They still have to get it done on the field against a seasoned, playoff-tested Falcons team.
----------
Their offense is really good but I think they are definitely a bit overrated. Only 1 more win than the Falcons with a much easier schedule.
----------
People get soooo enamored by offense. The Rams can run the ball and it lures in the D to stop the run setting up playaction. The elephant in the room no one is addressing is how bad the Rams secondary is. I get it Aaron Donald is great, but he can be schemed against, all we have to do is give Matt time.
-----------
Rams 24

Falcons 17
----------
If you break even in the special teams game and take care of the ball, they just become an average team.

Do those two things and the Falcons win.
-----------
I'm so glad that the coaches and players aren't trying to downplay our opponent like the fans on this message board are.
-----------
How is being confident in your team and stating facts means you are downplaying them. Is Goff a better QB than Matt???No his numbers were better and thats about it. If we can neutralize 2 players this game is very winnable.

We stop TG and try to limit Donalds effectiveness(which is hard). The NFC west probably has the worst OL play of any division in football right now outside of LA. They beat up on Ari,SF,and Sea lines 2x this season. If Jarrett went against those OL 6x this year his stats would be gaudy too.
---------
You can be confident in the Falcons, which I am, without downplaying the opponent. Seems like quite a few folks here think the Falcons are just gonna walk into LA and steam roll the Rams. The Falcons are gonna need to play a flawless game to win. The Rams are legit. They didn't get to where they are just because of a weak schedule. You can only play who's on your schedule.

On paper, this is a good matchup for the Falcons. I'm happy we got this matchup. But it's not gonna be easy.
----------
They have the 28th best run defense in the NFL. They allow 4.7 yards per carry and that is with Aaron Donald in the middle of their line. Let Free and Teco run through them.
----------
Rams are not one dimensional team, their offense, defense and ST are all in top quadrant in NFL. The offense has the best field position in NFL coz their ST and defense give the short field to score. If the Falcons ST doesn’t show up, Rams can outscore Falcons just by ST play.
----------
Who have Rams beaten at home this year?
----------
It's not exactly an intimidating place to play, is it. Saints are their best win at home, but they got handled by the Eagles, and the Redskins ran the ball up and down the field on them.
----------
I have watched that game and Saints were playing like a$$ and the game came down to the last drive. I think our defense is better than the saints and they held them to 26, even playing like ***.
----------
The Rams schedule was no cake walk. Winning in the NFL is not an easy task, no matter who you play. The Rams have shown they can beat anyone at any given time. The Falcons will lose this game if they play in there mistake prone way like they've done all season long, and even if they do limit the penalties and drops it still might not be enough.
-----------
Cooper Kupp is going to eat Poole's lunch. That's a matchup I'm worried about. Lamarcus Joyner is also an underrated safety that used to play slot so I'm on the lookout for him as well. The Rams opportunistic defense is going to be a problem if the offense decides to play sloppy.
----------
They sound a lot like us last year.
----------
Can't take the Rams lightly for sure. That team won on the road at Dallas (prior to Zeke's suspension), at Jacksonville where that appeared to be a huge turning point in their offense 'clicking' and went on to put major points up against most of their opposition afterwards.

I feel like our defense can keep them to around 17-23 points, it's our offense that is going to have to get back into a groove again. If they can start getting 30 points/game in the post-season, then they can definitely take the NFC title again.
----------
And Chris Thompson killed them on RB screens. I have a feeling that's gonna be huge in this game. Gotta get Free and Coleman out in space isolated on their LBs. I think that will be the key to victory. That's pretty much been the tried and true strategy to beat a Wade Phillips defense. New England had success with it. We had success with it playing Denver last year.

Now granted, Wade isn't an idiot and he's probably preparing for such a gameplan, which means we could get favorable matchups with Julio and Gabe if the defense commits to stopping Free and Teco.
-----------
Some have compared them to the 2016 Dallas Cowboys. They say Goff has the luxury of a decent OL along with a top shelf HB in Gurley along with a BBDB defense.

I don't know, but I will say that we shouldn't sleep on them, even as fans, because this team has defeated some pretty good teams this season. Plus, they don't have Jason Garrett as head coach.
---------
Rams may be good but not great but they are better than us their team has shown more consistency than we have

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I haven't asked the Falcons defense yet, but I'm sure Takk/Beasley/Poe/Jarrett/Reed/Clayborne and several other Falcons defensive players might have you thinking otherwise.

Goff may throw up, but it's hard to throw the ball when you are laying on the ground sacked.

I think this Rams team is overrated and have had an easy schedule this year just looking at it. Just my opinion, and it's been debated on here over and over so I am not going to get into that.

:rolllaugh:

thavage-z-i-jon-29857459.png

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
God I'm so pumped! Don't know how much I'll sleep tonight!