Wentz-what a laugh that some consider him superior to Goff

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
I still stand by....he was majoring in Mech. Eng......and then it just vanished...LOL
I don't know man...
Senior quarterback Carson Wentz of North Dakota State University was selected as the 2015 CoSIDA Academic All-American of the Year for Division I football. A health and physical education major with a 4.0 G.P.A., Wentz also was a first-team Academic All-America choice last year. http://gogriz.com/news/2015/12/3/FB_1203155910.aspx?path=football

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
We have to beat them in Seattle which is not easy to do. They pretty much shut down the best offense in football without two of their best defenders.

They can make any QB look mediocre at home.

they might have been missing 2 players but they had the hole officiating crew on their team.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
Goff throws a better ball

Wentz is a better athlete, though Goff will grow and mature. He's more mobile in pocket than you think.

I wonder if they had not been 1 and 2 in the draft if there would be all this debate over which is better. I for one am glade the one we have looks to have a very bright future. don't care which is better as long as the one we have is good.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I am not judging him by one game; no way; he is the EXACT same QB I have watched all year...the competition got tougher and his feet-positioning, poise and arm were exposed---all things that Goff has in spades!
you do know these guys played the same team?
One played them on the road...the other at their house...

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201710080ram.htm
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201712030sea.htm

Both offenses scored 10 points....what exactly do you see as different in these 2 players?
A health and physical education major with a 4.0 G.P.A., Wentz also was a first-team Academic All-America choice last year. http://gogriz.com/news/2015/12/3/FB_1203155910.aspx?path=football
I know what it says now....just like I know it said at some time in 2016 that he was majoring in Mechanical Engineering....I don't know if it was a misprint....or just was false...I'd be interested at this point in learning whether he was ever in an engineering program........OR
OR
Perhaps I misread...and mistook his LT Joe Haeg for Wentz.....doubtful....but it is what it is...

I do find it strange....like, why make up mechanical engineering?

Ram65

Legend
from last night:
He failed under pressure---big time.
Missed huge first down conversion throws (and made 2 very, very nice ones--like Cam).
Doesn't have good footwork, or a good feel for the game
Is not accurate throw after throw

I thought he was throwing much better after the first couple of game. He seem to be more accurate once they started running the ball more (after the KC game) which took pressure (pass rush) off on him. I was a little surprised at how he played against the Hags. Then again he hasn't played against good defenses that can disguise coverage and make him hold the ball longer.

It wasn't you typical Eagles game. They lacked aggressiveness from the coach on down. Wentz was off. It will be interesting to see what happens against the Rams. The Rams need to do the same as the Hags did. Make him hold the ball longer and get pressure. I expect Wentz to play better and hope it's not too much better.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I don't understand the Eagles game plan. through most of the game they didn't attack the Hag's secondary, with two thirds of the Legion-of-Boom Out, it didn't make sense. Then late in the game they did, but by then it was too late!

Zero

Pro Bowler
"ive seen every snap" says Colin...ya, he sees it.

I think growing up watching Montana influenced me so much in my preference of QB types.
And influenced me preferring Goff over Wentz,pre-draft.
Wentz is a thoroughbred type and going to be a hell of a QB,IMHO.

Goff will never have Wentz's legs,but Wentz will never have the consistent deadly accuracy of Dr. Goff.
Mcvay's preference of precision route running, sure handed receivers is the perfect compliment to Goff's skillset.
Give me the field surgeon any day of the week.

As much as I love the GSOT, a lot of it's core was made up of players well into their career's
This group is young,talented and ain't going anywhere,anytime soon.
It's a Fine Day to be a Ram Fan.Yes Sir,a Fine Day.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
While all of this is true, Russel Wilson is the reason they won man. Yes, Seattle got pressure on Wentz, but Wilson is such a difference maker and he proved his worth yet again (hate that dude- not personally though).

I get it with the hate. It’s always cool to see how good he is though. It’s never about the stats. Wilson always finds away to win.

I was amazed at how strong the Seahags are playing. Bobby Wagner is real true stud at MLB.

Wentz is a solid QB. Sunday is a classic match up. Will get an up close look at how good these 2 young QBS are.

The Rams could loss there last three games.There is not one give me left.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Agreed as Goff = Good-bye Fisher and hello McVay.

Wentz = Fisher still HC of Rams, IMO.
Why would wentz keep Fisher safe? Keenan wouldn't have and we see how good he looks with good coaching. I find it hard to believe last year's staff could have coached wentz up enough to save Fisher if they couldn't coach up Keenan. Wentz might have been more ready than Goff, but he wasn't more ready than Keenan. Wentz look good because of great coaching, which he would not have gotten here. This narrative assumes wentz didn't need good coaching to be good. IMO.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
you do know these guys played the same team?
One played them on the road...the other at their house...
?
True; Wentz didn't have Sherman, CHancellor...but he was in Seattle. You are right, Wentz has better stats. Stats are really impt. I missed that.

Not sure if anyone else mentioned this on the board, but there was a Goff vs. Wentz toss-up on PTI today. The question was whose season has been more impressive, with Kornheiser saying Goff, because of he was "left for dead" last year, and Wilbon saying Wentz just to include him. Both of them agreed you could do no wrong with either as your QB.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Why would wentz keep Fisher safe? Keenan wouldn't have and we see how good he looks with good coaching. I find it hard to believe last year's staff could have coached wentz up enough to save Fisher if they couldn't coach up Keenan. Wentz might have been more ready than Goff, but he wasn't more ready than Keenan. Wentz look good because of great coaching, which he would not have gotten here. This narrative assumes wentz didn't need good coaching to be good. IMO.

Let's face it. Fisher's success came from running the football and playing good defense. However, his final season the Rams abandoned what was working running the football the prior season and went with a hole lot of shotgun snaps, something of which Goff was more comfortable. Same OLine, but that negated the running game altogether.

IMO, Wentz would have kept Fisher safe due to his coming from a more pro style offense which would allowed the team to build upon and not change what Boras did in the running game the prior season. I believe that we would have saw far more snaps from center and play-action, Harkey wouldn't have become an afterthought, and the running game wouldn't have struggled so much. Plus, due to his size, strength and abilities, the read option would have been an available option for the team helping the rushing attack even more and he wouldn't have been as easy to sack behind a questionable OLine. Plus, Wentz had the arm strength to stretch the field and keep defenses honest that Keenum does not.

There's no doubt in my mind that team scores more than 224 points. And more points would have equaled more wins and made it hard to remove a man who had just signed a huge contract extension.

Last edited:

JK1965

UDFA
Name
John
As I said last week, it is WAY too early to say one is definitively better than other. Wentz was riding high. I see every snap and he is having a hell of a season. Sunday night was not his finest moment. Not the teams finest moment either! Left some TD throws that he usually makes easily on field. Guess what? It happens to the best of em. Goff has been great from everything I’ve seen. I’ve watched their games that have been televised here plus I watch Redzone every week. He’s really come along from last year. That’s probably an understatement. He too will have those games where he misses what he usually makes look easy. I don’t think either of these guys will have those days too often. They are both too good at this thing.
Sunday should be fun. No matter which guy plays better, there is a long long way to go before we really know who is better. They may both go on to HOF careers where it’s a toss up..
As a lifelong Eagles fan I’m thrilled that we have this guy. Rams fans should feel the same way about their guy.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
Personally I would love to see more of the “Shot Gun Wentz” that showed up in Seattle, if he thinks The Seahawks got after his ass, wait until Donald and Quinn get through abusing Phillys line, especially their LT

I expect a hard fought close game

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
real test will be next week....see them up close...against one another.

Not directed at you @LACHAMP46 , but everyone does understand that Goff and Wentz aren't really going to be playing "against one another" thought, right? We all are aware that they won't be on the field at the same time, right? Apparently it's just me but these "QB battles" drive me crazy! /rant over

Thanks for letting me vent. :shocked:

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
It really is great to be talking about offense again, but both teams are going to struggle against good defenses and the quarterbacks won't look as great when that happens. In other news water is wet and Case Keenum es en fuego :)

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
everyone does understand that Goff and Wentz aren't really going to be playing "against one another" thought, right?
In the concept of the team game....in actuality....they will be going against one another...One QB vs the opponents defense....and the other vs the other defense. At the end, their stats will be compared. And, one will have a win, the other a loss.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
True; Wentz didn't have Sherman, CHancellor.
I think a bunch have underestimated the Seahawks ability to replace players. While Earl Thomas still has a unique skillset that is hard to replicate...and replace. I believe Chancellor and Sherm aren't the same players they were a couple years ago. In fact, I believe most secondaries are driven by their front 4....or pass rush. I also think several of the Seahawks db's that are new, are talented and have improved throughout the season. I especially like Shaquile Richardson....or whatever his name is...#26. Seattle still has one of the best front 7's in the game (Frank Clark is definitely an upgrade, I picked him in a ROD mock draft a few years back for Green Bay)....and their defense is still formidable. Especially at home.

bluecoconuts

Legend
In the concept of the team game....in actuality....they will be going against one another...One QB vs the opponents defense....and the other vs the other defense. At the end, their stats will be compared. And, one will have a win, the other a loss.

You sound like someone who is afraid to say who they're voting for.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
In the concept of the team game....in actuality....they will be going against one another...One QB vs the opponents defense....and the other vs the other defense. At the end, their stats will be compared. And, one team will have a win, the other team a loss.

FIFY. I am of the very strong belief that there is no such thing as QB wins and losses. :cheers: