Vote Hill or Davis and sound off

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Starting QB after the bye week?

• Shaun Hill

Votes: 17 11.6%
  • Austin Davis

Votes: 129 88.4%

• Total voters

Athos

Legend
Obviously, My opinion is in the minority here. Shaun Hill IS the better QB, and while Davis has played better than anything I would have ever imagined based on what I have seen in THREE training camps, let's not forget that throwing 3 INTs in 10 quarters is never going to sit well with a Fisher coached team.

Don't know what you expect from a virtual rookie trying to get his team the win after the defense chokes. If he's guilty of anything, it's trying to do too much to get the win for a beaten up team. Funny you mention picks and a Fisher coaches team considering the incredible amount of penalties of Fisher-lead teams, the undisciplined defense, and that piss poor play by Wells. If INTs are unforgivable, MUFFED SNAPS SHOULDN'T SIT WELL AT ALL! Not trying to be argumentative, but there it is.

I disagree with the better QB label as well. I wouldn't say he's better. I'd just say he has significantly more experience. Which, obviously, he does.

The first one was the overthrow down the sideline, where he simply had to put some air under the ball, and Britt pulls away from the CB

Sam missed those a lot by inches too in the early going.

For me, it doesn't matter if its Hill, Davis or even Bradford, when this team throws the ball 42 times in ANY game, it is not a good thing.

Agreed. And that's on the defense forcing Davis into gunslinger mode. Note he wasn't making those terrible decisions until the 4th when teh D started to crumble. At the same time, Shotty had plenty of time to just run the ball to position us for a TD on that drive that ended wit the pick 6. We didn't run nearly enough.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
For me, it doesn't matter if its Hill, Davis or even Bradford, when this team throws the ball 42 times in ANY game, it is not a good thing.
This^ really bothered me too. When I looked at how many Passes Davis had thrown, I thought, This is not a situation the Rams want to be in. Some of it may have been brought on because of playing 'Hurry-up' at the end of the game, But it scares me to see us put in the position we have to pass "42 Times" a game!

Alaskan Ram

Last Frontier Member
i have not seen enough of hill to take away his starting spot. if hill is started and plays poorly we can bring davis back in.

You would sacrifice Davis getting the next 2 weeks reps in practice with the 1's to play QB ping pong?

Hill could be the answer. Davis could be the answer. The best answer is the one that gets the reps with 1s the next 12 days preparing for next game in 13 days.
I often see plans fail because teams couldn't agree between 2 good options, and ended up blending the 2 options instead of going full steam with one of the two. Your contingency option practices with second team and sees limited work with 1s.

My 70 year mom called to ask "who is this Davis kid?"

I'd be shocked and disappointed if Davis is not getting starter reps during this bye week. We can be special with him.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Don't know what you expect from a virtual rookie trying to get his team the win after the defense chokes. If he's guilty of anything, it's trying to do too much to get the win for a beaten up team. Funny you mention picks and a Fisher coaches team considering the incredible amount of penalties of Fisher-lead teams, the undisciplined defense, and that pee pee poor play by Wells. If INTs are unforgivable, MUFFED SNAPS SHOULDN'T SIT WELL AT ALL! Not trying to be argumentative, but there it is.

Don't mean to be argumentative, but you will anyway! LOL

I guess you overlooked the part where I acknowledged that Davis played better than I would have imagined he would.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I disagree with the better QB label as well. I wouldn't say he's better. I'd just say he has significantly more experience. Which, obviously, he does.

You won't say he is better, because you haven't seen it? or you don't think he is?

While I realize it was training camp, what I saw first hand, was indisputable to me. Hill just knows how to play the position. And did nothing to change my opinion in the half of football he played vs. Minnesota. I guess, I just not as ready to hand the keys over to a rookie QB, knowing that the like of the SF and Seattle defenses are right around the corner.

Sam missed those a lot by inches too in the early going.

Fair point. I was merely trying to point out that Davis hasn't been nearly as flawless as many seem to want to insinuate he has been.

Athos

Legend
This^ really bothered me too. When I looked at how many Passes Davis had thrown, I thought, This is not a situation the Rams want to be in. Some of it may have been brought on because of playing 'Hurry-up' at the end of the game, But it scares me to see us put in the position we have to pass "42 Times" a game!

He did start out like 6/7 for 40 yards and a TD on first drive.
3/4 for 98 yards and a TD on the 2nd drive.
3/4 for 24 yards on the 3rd drive. (that drive stalled b/c of the dumb end around with Britt forced a 3rd and long pass.
3/5 for 29 yards on the 4th drive (this was Wells with the butt fumble. -6 points as far as I'm concerned.)

So basically, Davis started out 15/20 for 191 yards.

No reason to deviate from this game plan to start the 2nd half.

5/6 for 45 yards to open the 3rd QTR drive. Result. TD.

2/3 for 51 yards on the next drive for a FG (drive stalled by holding by Britt).

Then the poor play calling. 6 minutes left, trailing by 3. Davis only really bad decision in this game, and imo, it never should have happened because THIS was the time, yes, to turn it over to the RBs. Stacy got good yardage most of the time he touched the ball. Don't like the pass play on 1st down. Prior to this, Davis was 22/29 for 287 yards and 2 TDs. You could still argue passing would be a good choice, but I agree. You positioned well with the pass thru 3 quarters. This was the time for some runs on 1st and 2nd down.

Athos

Legend
Fair point. I was merely trying to point out that Davis hasn't been nearly as flawless as many seem to want to insinuate he has been.

Don't think any of us have said that, mate. I don't expect flawless from a virtual rook. Considering the circumstances though, I just think he's earned a continued look. Unless our D turns the corner fast, there isn't much hope for this season anyway.

You won't say he is better, because you haven't seen it? or you don't think he is?

As a Ram, I haven't seen it. Just don't buy much into pre-season anymore. Davis is one of those types that just comes alive it seems, during games that matter. If I recall, Henry Josey may have had issues in practice and the like, but was always a beast under the lights for Mizzou.

SF and Seattle defenses are right around the corner.

Quite possible it doesn't matter who plays. Hill has the experience, yes. However, it's entirely possible neither would/will look good against them. Manning has/had issues against the Hags because his arm strength just isn't what it used to be. Ball takes a good long while to get to the target. You need zip on the ball to beat those Hag DBs, which is partly why I think Sam has had as much success against them as he's had.

At best, I think it is a tossup who would do better. Hill may control the ball more efficiently, I think Davis makes bigger plays.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
You don't know that. Neither do i. Neither does Fisher.
......and you don't know that he isn't! I am going off of what I watched every day for 4 weeks.

There was a very noticeable difference on the practice field. But as I said, I admit Davis has played better than I would have expected. Guess we will find out. Won't we.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
......and you don't know that he isn't! I am going off of what I watched every day for 4 weeks.

There was a very noticeable difference on the practice field. But as I said, I admit Davis has played better than I would have expected. Guess we will find out. Won't we.
And i wouldn't post that I know who's the better QB either way.
I trust your judgement that Hill was better than Davis in practice...thats why Hill was named the #2 over Davis initially before the real games started. However, how a player performs on gameday throws anything they ever did(or didn't do) in practice out the window.

As i posted early in the thread, i respect anyone's opinion that believes that Hill is better than what we've seen from Davis so far. That's your take. I hope Fisher knows something we don't. Personally i don't think so, and no head coach should feel like they need to show strong loyalty to any back up QB.

Like you said, we'll see. I would think the first piece of proof is Hill going out there and leading this offense to a few wins, and putting up great numbers, getting all the receivers involved, taking over games with his arm, and having the team respond to him positively. THAT would be better than what we've seen from Davis i suppose. :whistle:

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Chuck Norris wears Austin Davis pajamas...... So this thread is officially concluded. (y)

ShaneFalco

Amazing, I don't get how that doesn't win you a starting a gig when your competition is Shaun freaking Hill.
seriously. How in the world can anyone say Hill is better?

The guy has been backup for 13 years. There is a reason he was backup for so long.

People say Hill looks better in training camp. TRAINING CAMP.

That is part of the problem. TRAINING CAMP means nothing. i am glad the guy can throw a pretty pass in practice.

But he didnt even last a half when he played he is so old.

Kyle orton did the same, then went 1-4 and got thrown out by Tim Tebow.

Last edited by a moderator:

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

Practice.......

CoachO

Hall of Fame
seriously. How in the world can anyone say Hill is better?

The guy has been backup for 13 years. There is a reason he was backup for so long.

People say Hill looks better in training camp. TRAINING CAMP.

That is part of the problem. TRAINING CAMP means nothing. i am glad the guy can throw a pretty pass in practice.Kyle orton did the same, then went 1-4 and got thrown out by Tim Tebow.

But he didnt even last a half when he played he is so old.

and yet Hill is STILL has been in the league for 13 years. Not cut from the very team that everyone in here seems to want to say he is savior de jour!

You guys are very quick to dismiss things you haven't seen. And yet, whether it was me, or the many others people reporting from camp, including the professional sports writers ALL said the exact same thing.

It seems, some like to cherry pick who training camp and preseason is meaningless for, then at the same time want to christen the likes of the Thad Lewis or Gerald Rivers' of the world as the second coming based on what they witness in these meaningless exhibitions. I can say Shaun Hill is better, based on seeing more of them in something more than just 10 qtrs of play.

And if Hill is so "bad", then how has he managed to stay in the league for 13 years, while it took Davis into his 3rd year just to make a team? And that only happened BECAUSE Bradford got hurt when he did. Austin Davis had a good game yesterday. He was ok, in Tampa Bay, nothing more, nothing less.

Will Shaun Hill be better over the course the 13 remaining games? Only time will tell. And if he isn't, then I guess we will all get to see just what Davis is made of.

Last edited:

ShaneFalco

you know warner came into the rams as a 3rd string QB right?

And had little to none reps in training camp.

Some QBs dont even get a shot to see if they are any decent in a game or not.

Practice is Practice. The reason Hill is backup for 13 years. Is because he is a safe, conservative option for backup.

We dont need another season of playing it safe with a backup who really gives no chance at the playoffs.

We need a QB who is willing to go out swinging in a hail of gunfire.

People do not go to the game to watch Hill do 5 yard checkdowns.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
you know warner came into the rams as a 3rd string QB right?

And had little to none reps in training camp.

Some QBs dont even get a shot to see if they are any decent in a game or not.
so now you are comparing Davis after 10 qtrs to Kurt Warner? Got it!

209RamsFan

Davis gets my vote....and its not even close.....we got our ass kicked with Hill in tbere while we've been competitive with Davis. ...BTW friscos defense scares NO ONE....they're secondary is suspect and their passrush is weak....