Vote Hill or Davis and sound off

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Starting QB after the bye week?

• Shaun Hill

Votes: 17 11.6%
  • Austin Davis

Votes: 129 88.4%

• Total voters

RamzFanz

Damnit
Seriously for those that voted Hill, what does AD have to do for him to earn the starting spot 500 yards 5 td's?? Literally no one helped Davis out yesterday, the OL was giving up wayyy to much pressure for a QB with only 1 start under his belt. How about that Jared Cook drop that would of sent it to OT at the least, not only that but the call on the 4th & 1 in FG range, they call a pulling guard run when you need less than a yard, which opened the gap for the linebacker to make the stop... Don't get the logic whatsoever on that one other than that Schotty called a good game but dear god our defense or.. "sack city" was so awful except for the JJ pick six. I was hoping losing Bradford would give our whole team a fire, but they seem demoralized and unprepared except for Austin Davis, when Sam went down he almost got a twinkle in his eye knowing this might be his one opportunity at being a starting QB in this league and is making the most of it. The kid is a baller and I highly doubt Hill even plays as good as him, let alone better.

Really? So Davis ran it 5.6 YPC or was that Stacey? Did Davis throw it to himself? Did Cook not lead the team in receiving?

No one helped.? Hunh. Not Pettis, Tree, Quick, Britt, Kendricks, Cunningham, Watt, or anyone? He's superman now and the rest of the Rams suck?

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Obviously, My opinion is in the minority here. Shaun Hill IS the better QB, and while Davis has played better than anything I would have ever imagined based on what I have seen in THREE training camps, let's not forget that throwing 3 INTs in 10 quarters is never going to sit well with a Fisher coached team.

For those who seem to think he has played so well... He has missed on plenty of throws that an NFL QB has to make. There were plenty of throws in yesterdays game (two to Britt) that were just plain and simple bad throws. The first one was the overthrow down the sideline, where he simply had to put some air under the ball, and Britt pulls away from the CB. The second was the skinny post route where Britt had to dive for the ball. That pass has to be completed.

On the pick 6, he simply made a bad read. Watch the play again, and see Quick get inside the CB on a post route. Pressure or no pressure, if Davis sees Quick make the break at the time he made it, (prior to the throw to Stacy), its a TD. And for those who want to dismiss the last INT as one that doesn't count, it was a bad decision, and even worse throw.

Like I said, he has played a whole lot better than I imagined he would. But I am not ready to overlook the obvious mistakes he makes because he is "fun to watch" or "plays with fire". Bottom line, he has thrown TWO pick six INT's in 2 1/2 games. This team needs him to be consistent, not necessarily a gunslinger.

For me, it doesn't matter if its Hill, Davis or even Bradford, when this team throws the ball 42 times in ANY game, it is not a good thing.

Last edited:

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
Really? So Davis ran it 5.6 YPC or was that Stacey? Did Davis throw it to himself? Did Cook not lead the team in receiving?

No one helped.? Hunh. Not Pettis, Tree, Quick, Britt, Kendricks, Cunningham, Watt, or anyone? He's superman now and the rest of the Rams suck?
Not what I was trying to say, saying there were a lot of situations where I felt Davis made a play but just like Bradford someone lets him down. Situations where the rest of the team needed to elevate their game to compensate for Austin Davis not being Peyton Manning and it didn't happen. Davis made mistakes too, but that should be expected, not everyone else.

ausmurp

Starter
11 votes for Hill is strange. Please 11 people I think we all want to know why. Davis had one of the best games a Rams QB has had in a long time. Should've thrown 4 TDs but Cook dropped a blatant easy catch that any of us could've made, especially for $7M a yr. I don't think a Rams QB has thrown for 4+ TDs in a game since...dare I say...Kurt Warner...

ausmurp

Starter
Not what I was trying to say, saying there were a lot of situations where I felt Davis made a play but just like Bradford someone lets him down. Situations where the rest of the team needed to elevate their game to compensate for Austin Davis not being Peyton Manning and it didn't happen. Davis made mistakes too, but that should be expected, not everyone else.

I agree but I'm just saying, if Cook catches that 4th TD pass, Davis would've been like 22/31 299 yds 4TDs. And would've made absolutely no mistakes. That pick 6 came right after and if Cook catches TD we are up and would've been trying to run it out more...

RamzFanz

Damnit

Fair enough, but I disagree. He didn't score 31 points by himself. I saw some penalties and some really bad calls, but I didn't see a lot of offensive mistakes. I have nothing negative for Cook, Quick, Britt, Pettis, Stacey, Watts, Cunningham, or Kendricks. The O line didn't allow a sack and did allow for a ton of yards. Who on the O let him down?

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
11 votes for Hill is strange. Please 11 people I think we all want to know why. Davis had one of the best games a Rams QB has had in a long time. Should've thrown 4 TDs but Cook dropped a blatant easy catch that any of us could've made, especially for $7M a yr. I don't think a Rams QB has thrown for 4+ TDs in a game since...dare I say...Kurt Warner...
I voted for Davis, but I think Hill is a better QB. I could see going with Hill, I just voted Davis for the purposes of momentum - you play the hot hand, and Davis is playing a very hot streak. I could understand people preferring the better QB over the "hotter" QB.

RamzFanz

Damnit
I agree but I'm just saying, if Cook catches that 4th TD pass, Davis would've been like 22/31 299 yds 4TDs. And would've made absolutely no mistakes. That pick 6 came right after and if Cook catches TD we are up and would've been trying to run it out more...
Well, the O line did let him down on that pick 6. He wasn't going to eat the ball on his goal line and got swamped. It was a bad thing all around.

Irish

Starter
I like Shaun Hill, if for no other reason than I like his arm strength.

I appreciate Davis's moxie, but I swear it looks like he is throwing a medicine ball sometimes.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
Fair enough, but I disagree. He didn't score 31 points by himself. I saw some penalties and some really bad calls, but I didn't see a lot of offensive mistakes. I have nothing negative for Cook, Quick, Britt, Pettis, Stacey, Watts, Cunningham, or Kendricks. The O line didn't allow a sack and did allow for a ton of yards. Who on the O let him down?
Well, I do have some, a lot actually negative for Cook. and the o-line may have not allowed a sack but they sure as hell didn't help Davis when they had like 2 or 3 free runners at AD on his 4th quarter pick-six. On the last pass that was a INT that went to Quick, I read Cook was open I don't know if he was but if I was Davis I wouldn't of looked Cooks way either after that bullshit on the sideline.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Hill may be better, but I would rather let Austin play, get some experience and see if we have a QB on our roster that can compete for a starting job next year.

That being said, to move away from Hill now could be construed as throwing the white flag to the team.

As a fan, I would rather see what we have in Austin.

If I was a coach or making the decision I would probably start Hill too.......for now.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Mr. OP, if u didn't make this pole I was about to. Thanks.

I watched Davis on TV in preseason last year, I watched him this year, I was at both home games this year. The guy is coming into his own. I'm starting to really wonder about Fisher. If Hill sucks then he's on the hot seat. Davis is young and only getting better. He's not locking on receivers at all and is playing superb. Hill better light it up like Davis did. Philly's D sucks like ours did against Dallas.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Well, I do have some, a lot actually negative for Cook. and the o-line may have not allowed a sack but they sure as hell didn't help Davis when they had like 2 or 3 free runners at AD on his 4th quarter pick-six. On the last pass that was a INT that went to Quick, I read Cook was open I don't know if he was but if I was Davis I wouldn't of looked Cooks way either after that bullcrap on the sideline.

Cook is the second best pass catcher on a team that's currently full of good pass catchers. Cook caught 7 of Davis' passes, the most in the game, for 75 yards, the most in the game, so if AD didn't throw his way over a little frustration, that's on Davis. Men will man up and get over it.

Quick dropped a TD pass this season. Pettis did too. Do they suck now?

I'm sorry Rams Fans, i don't get the Cook hate.

Irish

Starter
Hill may be better, but I would rather let Austin play, get some experience and see if we have a QB on our roster that can compete for a starting job next year.

That being said, to move away from Hill now could be construed as throwing the white flag to the team.

As a fan, I would rather see what we have in Austin.

If I was a coach or making the decision I would probably start Hill too.......for now.

There are no starting QBs on this roster right now. If it's not Bradford (which I highly doubt), it will be a free agent of a draft pick.

Austin Davis has played the best football of his life the past 2 games, and there is a good possibility that whoever gets the start in 2 weeks will have a great game against the Eagles shoddy defense because of the bye, but there is no reason to believe that Davis can sustain these numbers for a full season. There will be a regression to the mean, and at some point, once teams have lots of tape on Davis and learn his habits and tendencies then he will start to struggle. Unfortunately for him, he does not have the tools to play starting QB in the NFL for a winning franchise.

But, if these games have proven anything, its that moving the ball through the air, forcing it down field, and opening up the passing attack has been nothing but a huge positive for this team. The running game has looked the best it has in 2 years, receivers are playing with attitude and swagger, and it forces defenses to actually gameplan as opposed to throw 8 guys int he box and just plug gaps. I can't wait until we have a legit talent at QB who can take this philosophy to another level.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Creating a poll on a sports message board without making it a public poll is strange.

Alaskan Ram

Last Frontier Member
There are no starting QBs on this roster right now. If it's not Bradford (which I highly doubt), it will be a free agent of a draft pick.

Austin Davis has played the best football of his life the past 2 games, and there is a good possibility that whoever gets the start in 2 weeks will have a great game against the Eagles shoddy defense because of the bye, but there is no reason to believe that Davis can sustain these numbers for a full season. There will be a regression to the mean, and at some point, once teams have lots of tape on Davis and learn his habits and tendencies then he will start to struggle. Unfortunately for him, he does not have the tools to play starting QB in the NFL for a winning franchise.

But, if these games have proven anything, its that moving the ball through the air, forcing it down field, and opening up the passing attack has been nothing but a huge positive for this team. The running game has looked the best it has in 2 years, receivers are playing with attitude and swagger, and it forces defenses to actually gameplan as opposed to throw 8 guys int he box and just plug gaps. I can't wait until we have a legit talent at QB who can take this philosophy to another level.

Best football of his life past 2 games? He's only had 2 starts in the NFL. So he's off to a good start I'd say.
What tools does Tom Brady have? Bradford would beat Brady out in every combine drill out there. Bradford would beat Brady out on a Pro day 99 times out of a 100.

Davis absolutely has the tools to play starting QB in the NFL for a winning franchise. I think he's doing it now.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan

don't get me wrong i really like davis. the way he stays with a player till the last second,the way he anticipates the recievers brakes and his play fakes. but i think the cowboy df is one of if not the worst df in the league. mostly i have not seen enough of hill to take away his starting spot. if hill is started and plays poorly we can bring davis back in. if we play davis and he plays poorly agianst the better dfs then we have to bring in hill who we just shet on.