Todd Gurley will play against the Steelers

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
TG30 will run wild over the vaunted Steelers defense, throwing would-be tacklers aside like the Mumakil threw aside the Rohirrim in the epic battle in Lord of the Rings: Return of the King. Then we get a visual of a healthy Tre Mason to speed things up, and he'll run for touchdowns. And Tavon will finally get a long ball from Foles because the third time is the freaking charm.

2-1 after the Steelers game. Book it.
That's the way to get me "Pumped-Up!!(y):D

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
I could be wrong, but I suspect jrry32 might be pulling our leg a little bit.

First, a disclaimer.

I haven't yet watched the game although I heard it on Sirius/XM.

If you thought Mason looked rusty, what do you expect from Gurley? And I'm a huge Gurley fan, btw.
Sounded to me like Foles was verrrry inaccurate and missing most of his throws.
Lots of drops. Three by Cook, alone?
OL issues all game long.
Couldn't run worth a damn.
Couldn't stop the run worth a damn.
Cousins looked like a HOF QB.
Jones looked like a HOF RB.
We scored a whopping 10 points. Seven off a turnover.

Does anyone seriously think inserting a rookie RB, even a RB like Gurley, is gonna solve all those problems?

Especially if the O line does not block for him (Gurley) worth a darn.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I could be wrong, but I suspect jrry32 might be pulling our leg a little bit.

First, a disclaimer.

I haven't yet watched the game although I heard it on Sirius/XM.

If you thought Mason looked rusty, what do you expect from Gurley? And I'm a huge Gurley fan, btw.
Sounded to me like Foles was verrrry inaccurate and missing most of his throws.
Lots of drops. Three by Cook, alone?
OL issues all game long.
Couldn't run worth a damn.
Couldn't stop the run worth a damn.
Cousins looked like a HOF QB.
Jones looked like a HOF RB.
We scored a whopping 10 points. Seven off a turnover.

Does anyone seriously think inserting a rookie RB, even a RB like Gurley, is gonna solve all those problems?

Yes.

Well, mostly yes.

Kind of.

OK, not really - but thats not the point. You don't have to solve all of your problems with one move. If Gurley is what some of us think he will be then the effects will be widespread.

We will have longer drives both wearing down their D and keeping ours fresh. We will have homerun potential with the ball in his hands. He will create space on the field as defenses adjust to account for him.

And yeah, he is a rookie - but RB is one of those positions where guys can come in right away and make a difference. Less of a learning curve (sans pass blocking) and it sounds like Gurley has been taking his mental reps very seriously as he has rehabbed.

He is the chosen one.

RamBill

Legend
Todd Gurley sits against Redskins, now 'week-to-week'
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...gurley-sits-against-redskins-now-week-to-week

LANDOVER, Md. -- In the week leading up to his team's 24-10 loss to the Washington Redskins, St. Louis Rams coach Jeff Fisher played it coy when the potential debut of running back Todd Gurley was brought up.

Gurley spent the week practicing with the team after Fisher said that there was a chance he could play in Washington. Gurley was listed as a full participant in practice every day and questionable for the game.

On Friday, Fisher said Gurley would be a "game time" decision. But really, the decision was made well before the game as Gurley went through an extensive workout before it started but never under the watchful eye of a coaching staff attempting to evaluate whether he'd play or not.

"He did a lot pregame, as a matter of fact because we had decided not to play him," Fisher said.

Indeed, the Rams likely decided that Gurley would sit before Sunday but wanted to keep a little bit of doubt in Washington's minds. So Gurley spent the pregame doing a workout which included running the ladder, some stretching and some jogging. When it was done, he signed some autographs and took pictures with Rams fans on the sideline.

Sitting Gurley was the right move as he closes in on making his return from the torn ACL suffered last November. Next week against Pittsburgh seems like a more reasonable time for that debut as Gurley will get another week to take reps with the first team and continue to get into football shape.

After Sunday's game, Fisher didn't make any promises.

"Todd is going to be week-to-week now," Fisher said. "I thought he had a great week and we just didn’t feel good about today, so we’ll wait and see how things go next week."

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
The offensive line is always undervalued in the success of a RB. Take Demarco Murray for example. Lights it up as the leagues leading rusher in Dallas behind that top notch OL, then goes to Philly and can't even average a yard per carry because he is getting hit 3 yards deep in the backfield.

I don't think we can expect Gurley to carry us and he certainly won't be the deciding factor in his limited first NFL action. We need our defense to be as good as they became last season, Nick Foles to play like a starting QB, and the OL to show progression from week to week.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Poor Gurley. Being hyped as the savior for this offense is just unfair. He won't even be the best RB on the field if he plays next weekend. Bell is a beast and I shudder to think what that Pitt offense is going to do to this defense if they play like they did yesterday. This one could be over after one quarter if the Rams aren't on their game.

fastcat

Pro Bowler
I'm not worried about Pittsburgh or any other teams with the reputation of being good because we play good teams tough. It's the other teams I worry about.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Yes.

Well, mostly yes.

Kind of.

OK, not really - but thats not the point. You don't have to solve all of your problems with one move. If Gurley is what some of us think he will be then the effects will be widespread.

We will have longer drives both wearing down their D and keeping ours fresh. We will have homerun potential with the ball in his hands. He will create space on the field as defenses adjust to account for him.

And yeah, he is a rookie - but RB is one of those positions where guys can come in right away and make a difference. Less of a learning curve (sans pass blocking) and it sounds like Gurley has been taking his mental reps very seriously as he has rehabbed.

He is the chosen one.

Yes...he is the chosen one...

Found+a+gif+for+u+_fa48951f53e37801039fe7906ca6d95a.gif

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
has anyone noticed that our ol lines up in a straight line while most teams line up with the guards about a yard behind the ball then the tackles about a yard behind the guards.
I have...I also slow-mo our run plays to see how they get off...Seems legit to me...I like a line that looks organized....Don't know how it effects the play...I also notice when teams have tackles that line-up a lil back from the LOS....Seems to happen when they face a speed edge rusher...

I will not get all hyped up over a guy who has never took an nfl hit besides when he was in that brawl against dallas. He doesn't know the speed of the game
Like @jrry32 says, Gurley is special..Every play that Benny & Mason take from him, could possibly be game changing had he been available to carry the rock. I wince when I see Benny with the ball...Tre slipping on cutback lanes...The first 2-3 drives really set the tone of some games...And could lead to victory....I hated all the short, non scoring drives that gave the Skins confidence.
Matt Jones long td run can you guess who they ran at?

View: http://www.nfl.com/videos/washington-redskins/0ap3000000534045/Redskins-Matt-Jones-39-yard-touchdown

Again totally taken out of the play by a TE as the ball carrier runs right past you for a td.
Ogletree looked to fill a gap...and while he could have made the play...backside (that run was to AA side), I thought JL totally was blown out of the play and missed the tackle...So did McLeod.
Oooops! I was thinking of the run by Morris @OldSchool
Seems as if this play was just indicative of the way this team played...Not engaged enough...both LB's did not do enough...esp Tree...and the db takes a terrible angle...Don't like the hole in the line he ran through either....

Last edited:

69superbowl

Rookie
Jjab I hope you are right. I haven't seen a big enough sample of 30 to feel that confident. Jjust hoping he's man enough to wear that great Ram number. My gut tells me it will take too long for this young offensive line to figure it out this year.

FRO

Legend
I feel like our season hinges on Gurley. We only have supporting role players on offense, we need a star. He really is the only guy with star ability.

fastcat

Pro Bowler
As I think back I recall when we couldn't run the ball a few years ago and Fisher inserted Zack stacy. Then everything changed. There were no holes and the guy slipped through cracks, carried defenders, ran them over, and rarely ever seemed to loose a yard. He just lacked breakaway speed. I loved Stacy, I have no clue why he didn't play last year, but if Gurley can be the same caliber back to create his own running lanes coupled with speed look out nfl.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Pittsburgh is going to tear this secondary apart, just look at how badly the Niners got dissected by Big Ben today.

Gurley isnt going to help playing from massively behind. Unless Gurley can play linebacker and fix this defense its going to be a long day.

It's true. They are deadly through the air and then they return Bell. This is going to be a shootout and we aren't ready. Gurley can play his ass off and still not save us. Quick is a non-injury report scratch the last two weeks and still hasn't taken a snap.

I hope we rack up a ton of points and get Quick and Gurley ready to beat the Cards because that may be the most important game left this season. It's going to be a race to the top of the NFCW and we need an edge.

My ONLY hope for a W this week is that the o line holds and Foles has a lot of time. If Foles has time, Gurley and Quick play, it COULD be a win...maybe...doubtful.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
Just listened to Fisher's show and it sounds like the probability of Gurley playing Sunday is not looking good. He continues to talk about getting practice reps. He also mentioned why Quick did not play last Sunday. It's not related to his recovery, but it has to do with personnel needs on special teams. Christ one of our better offensive weapons sits because we can't field special teams? Which begs the question... if we can't get Quick on the field due to special teams needs, what the hell they going to do when they activate Gurley on game day? Who becomes in-active for games once Gurley and Quick start playing? SMH!

Last edited:

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
I am very happy to finally see TG30 play, It is far less exciting after this past weekend though. May he have been the spark we needed against Washington? no one knows for sure. Following an embarrassing performance against Wash is hardly the debut the Ram brass hoped for him.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's true. They are deadly through the air and then they return Bell. This is going to be a shootout and we aren't ready. Gurley can play his ass off and still not save us. Quick is a non-injury report scratch the last two weeks and still hasn't taken a snap.

I hope we rack up a ton of points and get Quick and Gurley ready to beat the Cards because that may be the most important game left this season. It's going to be a race to the top of the NFCW and we need an edge.

My ONLY hope for a W this week is that the o line holds and Foles has a lot of time. If Foles has time, Gurley and Quick play, it COULD be a win...maybe...doubtful.

Man, you need to start drinking and start with the bravado. The steelers looked awful against the Patriots. The Rams looked great at home. Any given Sunday.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Just listened to Fisher's show and it sounds like the probability of Gurley playing Sunday is not looking good. He continues to talk about getting practice reps. He also mentioned why Quick did not play last Sunday. It's not related to his recovery, but it has to do with personnel needs on special teams. Christ one of our better offensive weapons sits because we can't field special teams? Which begs the question... if we can't get Quick on the field due to special teams needs, what the hell they going to do when they activate Gurley on game day? Who becomes in-active for games once Gurley and Quick start playing? SMH!

That better not be true. Sit Givens if that's the reason why.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Fisher never talks any sense in those shows. I stopped listening a long time ago.