Todd Gurley will play against the Steelers

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamzFanz

Damnit
That better not be true. Sit Givens if that's the reason why.

It's a lie. It has to be. Did he wink after? Because I bet he wanted to. You do not bench Quick for ST needs. It doesn't even make sense.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Jjab I hope you are right. I haven't seen a big enough sample of 30 to feel that confident. Jjust hoping he's man enough to wear that great Ram number. My gut tells me it will take too long for this young offensive line to figure it out this year.

I don't think Gurley needs much of a line. The dude could slip through a key hole, break to the outside like a lion after a gazelle, or just lower the boom and break through.

But, no way he goes full time or is 100% game one. It will be fun to see though.

dbrooks25

Pro Bowler
It's a lie. It has to be. Did he wink after? Because I bet he wanted to. You do not bench Quick for ST needs. It doesn't even make sense.
I listened to the show tonight and I too couldn't believe what I was hearing. If Quick is important to the offense, then why is he sitting because of a special teams numbers game? I can think of quite a few people he could replace. It made absolutely no sense to me.

ram007

Starter
I feel for Quick. I wonder if his career is over.

If healthy, Gurley better play. Rams need to win one of the next two games . If not, at 1-3 record Fisher will leave no stone unturned to get them to 7-9 again.

RamBill

Legend
Rams notebook: Fisher says Gurley will play when he's ready
• By Joe Lyons

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_0d19d2b1-219a-5b82-8b93-590c29ffa5a2.html

Is this the week for Todd Gurley’s NFL debut?

Rams coach Jeff Fisher still isn’t ready to make that commitment.

“As far as Todd is concerned, I thought the workout was outstanding (before the game Sunday), so we’re going to continue to build his reps this week,” Fisher said while addressing the media Monday at Rams Park. “He’ll be a week-to-week and might be a game-time decision. That’s how that’ll go.’’

Gurley, the 10th selection in last spring’s draft, was listed as questionable heading into Sunday’s game (a 24-10 loss to Washington) then was declared inactive for the second time in as many NFL games. He has been a full participant in practice recently after undergoing season-ending ACL surgery on his left knee last November while competing for the University of Georgia.

Fisher was asked if the team’s run-game struggles — with 143 yards rushing, the Rams ranked 26th going into the Monday night game — would make it more tempting to bring Gurley back faster.

“No,” the coach answered emphatically. “Todd’s going to play when he’s ready to play. It’s a non-factor. I’ve been saying this since he got here: When he’s ready, he’s going to play, regardless of what’s happening around him. But he is getting closer.

“It’s just he needs the experience, he needs the reps, so he can carry confidence into the game.”

Asked if Gurley’s carries would be limited at the start, Fisher answered yes. And how many will he have? “As many as possible,” the coach said.

Tre Mason, who led the Rams in rushing as a rookie in 2014 (765 yards), made his debut for this season Sunday after sitting out the opener because of a hamstring injury. Like the other Rams running backs, Mason struggled, rushing seven times for 26 yards (3.7 per carry) and catching two passes for 4 yards.

“He was 90 percent or something like that, so he was good enough to play and played,” Fisher said. “He doesn’t have the acceleration that he did before he got hurt, but that doesn’t mean it’s not going to be there this week.”

BIG DAY FOR OGLETREE

Rams third-year linebacker Alec Ogletree enjoyed another stellar game on Sunday, recording a career-best 18 tackles.That figure, which included one for loss, marked the highest total for a Rams defender since London Fletcher recorded 21 on Sept. 23, 2001, in a 30-26 loss at San Francisco.But in a game in which the Rams gave up six plays of 21 yards or better, Ogletree was not perfect. He was beaten in coverage by Redskins tight end Jordan Reed on a third-and-five play that went for 29 yards. Later in the victory-clinching touchdown drive, Ogletree was flagged for a facemask penalty.

Ogletree was the lone Rams defender to register double-digit tackles, according to the coaches’ review of game film. Defensive tackle Michael Brockers continued his solid early-season play with nine tackles, including one for loss. He also had a quarterback hit.

The leading tackler in the secondary was strong safety T.J. McDonald (seven), who also came up with a fumble recovery after defensive end Robert Quinn knocked the ball away from Washington’s Matt Jones in the third quarter. The turnover set up the Rams’ touchdown, a 40-yard pass from Nick Foles to Kenny Britt to cut their deficit to 17-10.

With Washington quarterback Kirk Cousins getting the ball out quickly, the Rams’ pressure numbers were limited. They had just three hurries, one QB hit and two sacks. Chris Long and Nick Fairley split one sack while Long and Aaron Donald split the other. A week earlier, in their OT win over Seattle, the Rams had 13 hurries, six QB hits and six sacks.

Middle linebacker James Laurinaitis had six tackles Sunday, giving him 914 for his career and leaving him one tackle shy of the franchise record set by Hall of Famer Merlin Olsen from 1962-76.

Foles and offensive linemen Greg Robinson, Jamon Brown, Tim Barnes, Rodger Saffold and Rob Havenstein took part in all 52 offensive snaps for the Rams. On defense, McDonald and fellow safety Rodney McLeod were in on all 72 defensive snaps, with Ogletree and Laurinaitis seeing 71 each.

Britt (92 percent) led the receiving corps, followed by Stedman Bailey (75 percent), Tavon Austin (75 percent) and Chris Givens (31 percent). At running back, it was Mason (54 percent), and Benny Cunningham (42 percent) split the snaps.

RAM-BLINGS

Although Foles, Ogletree and Janoris Jenkins were nicked up on Sunday, Fisher said the Rams came through Sunday’s game “somewhat healthy. ... I don’t think we’ll have anybody even missing practice time.”• Second-year cornerback Marcus Roberson started for Trumaine Johnson on Sunday. Johnson was back with the starters on Washington’s second series.“Trumaine violated team rules, so I started Marcus,” Fisher said Monday, giving no further explanation. “Not going to go into it; no, it’s between me and Trumaine.”

• Former Rams QB Thaddeus Lewis has signed with the Eagles. Signed as an undrafted free agent out of Duke, Lewis spent 2010 on the Rams’ practice squad. He’s also spent time with Cleveland, Detroit, Buffalo and Houston. He was in camp with the Rams in 2010.

• Former Rams running back Daryl Richardson, a seventh-round draft pick in 2012, has a tryout with Oakland after getting cut late in training camp by the New York Jets.

Jim Thomas of the Post-Dispatch contributed to this report.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
If the Oline cannot open holes Eric Dickerson wouldn't even make a difference. We watched Steven Jackson make his own holes for years. It didn't win games. I wish I could get excited about Gurley playing against Pittsburgh but I didn't see Mason have much room to run and they will be running behind the same line.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
The offensive line is always undervalued in the success of a RB. Take Demarco Murray for example. Lights it up as the leagues leading rusher in Dallas behind that top notch OL, then goes to Philly and can't even average a yard per carry because he is getting hit 3 yards deep in the backfield.

I don't think we can expect Gurley to carry us and he certainly won't be the deciding factor in his limited first NFL action. We need our defense to be as good as they became last season, Nick Foles to play like a starting QB, and the OL to show progression from week to week.
Totally agree, except that i'm not nearly as down on the defense as most fans are. They handled Seattle and got no support from the offense vs Washington.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
If the Oline cannot open holes Eric Dickerson wouldn't even make a difference. We watched Steven Jackson make his own holes for years. It didn't win games. I wish I could get excited about Gurley playing against Pittsburgh but I didn't see Mason have much room to run and they will be running behind the same line.
I was going to use this very same analogy yesterday. Bottom line is the OLine is going to have to step up.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
That better not be true. Sit Givens if that's the reason why.

No. Sit Britt for a game. Givens can at least return kicks in a pinch. Quick does everything that Britt does except better.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Hearing Fisher say that makes me wanna smack the shit out of him. You don't sit your best receiver for special teams. Being a gunner is literally the easiest position to play in football. Anyone can do it. Stop being stupid Jeff. We want to win games.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I worry that we're pinning our hopes on a guy that hasn't played a snap in the NFL.
Bettis couldn't do crap with a bad Rams line and he goes to the Steelers and becomes HOF! I worry too. Let's hope the O-line goes into beast mode and opens some holes for Gurley. If he sees daylight, he's going to the house!

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Every since we got Gurley everyone has been hyping the guy up. I remember this guy I worked with told me to watch him as a freshman at georgia. He was indeed a good college back. But I'm sorry I have been burnt by 2 many players... I will not get all hyped up over a guy who has never took an nfl hit besides when he was in that brawl against dallas. He doesn't know the speed of the game. Players always say tc practice is a different speed than college... Then when you go against other teams in practice, it's even faster. preseason is faster than any practicing, and gets faster in the regular season. He only has practice snaps with his own team then he us coming g off an acl which I believe won't bother him ever again but I myself have to reserve judgment. And to but the icing on the cake our line hasn't consistently made good running lanes dating back to the 1st preseason game. Idk guys but gurley may be good but it seems every thinks he is superman and he may not give us what we expect. This is scary to me... I hope he tears it up but I won't get excited till I see it.
There's no such thing thing as a "sure thing" when it comes to drafted players.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hearing Fisher say that makes me wanna smack the crap out of him. You don't sit your best receiver for special teams. Being a gunner is literally the easiest position to play in football. Anyone can do it. Stop being stupid Jeff. We want to win games.
I stopped believing Fisher last year, when he flip-flopped like Bernie Miklasz on the Hill/Austin thing. Remember the "wink"?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hearing Fisher say that makes me wanna smack the crap out of him. You don't sit your best receiver for special teams. Being a gunner is literally the easiest position to play in football. Anyone can do it. Stop being stupid Jeff. We want to win games.

That's far from true. There are teams that have poor special teams for a reason. And there are pure special teamers that are paid quite well for a reason.

But Givens isn't a gunner. I don't know why he would be active over Quick for special teams reasons. Yea, he can return kicks. But so can Pead who would be active for special teams reasons.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Anyways, back to the awesomeness that is Todd Gurley.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
That's far from true. There are teams that have poor special teams for a reason. And there are pure special teamers that are paid quite well for a reason.

But Givens isn't a gunner. I don't know why he would be active over Quick for special teams reasons. Yea, he can return kicks. But so can Pead who would be active for special teams reasons.

I think Quick is healthy, but hasn't been game ready. Maybe that's conditioning, or "hit-ability"... But he's still coming along. Not game healthy.

Otherwise... It makes no sense.

No way he's at the bottom of the WR depth.