Such a contrast between Eagle and Ram handling of their rookie QB's...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler
People need to relax, remember his 2-0 start ranks up there with Mark Sanchez and Ryan Leaf as successful rookie starters. If he plays great thus year, he match the success of Rick Meier and RGIII.

Point is that it is early for both of them. Wentz will likely be a good QB, but so will Goff. I think the big issue right now, the Rams only have one outside WR, and maybe only one pure WR, since Austin is more of Gadget guy. So once Spruce and Cooper are back, it will be a better situation for Goff to step in.

THIS +1

My Sources

UDFA
After 2 games? Did you watch last night, all Carson did was dink and dunk with the occasional mid range throw. Nothing special. Besides, all reports were that Carson was more pro ready anyway, but Jared had huge potential.

Simply not true.

Steve McNair
Eddie George
Kevin Dyson
Derrick Mason
LenDale White
Chris Johnson
Kenny Britt (did you know he had 9 TDs his 2nd year?)
Tavon Austin
Todd Gurley

Others:

Even with Vince Young got to the playoffs.
Tre Mason (he had a good 2nd season, not Jeff's fault for his issues)
We won't know what Stedman could have been.
Sam Bradford had his best years under Jeff Fisher. In 2012 and 2013 pre-ACL.
I must be watching a different QB. All I see is a guy that has all the tools and plays like a vet. IMO, this puts major pressure on management for Goff to succeed. If they blew this and gave up the farm, heads should roll.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I see only 2 possibilities to explain this current rookie QB state of affairs.

1) S&F picked the wrong QB. If so, this will be a career killing decision for both. Unless it is learned that Fisher is the one that insisted on Goff over the recommendations of Snead. In that case, only Fisher's career would be destroyed while Snead's would still be damaged. There is no greater personnel mistake than picking the wrong QB at #1 overall.

2) The coaching and prep by the Rams for Goff is hopelessly inferior to that of the Eagle coaching staff for Wentz. I'm leaning in this direction, myself. Fisher does not have a stellar record of selecting and quickly developing skill position players on O.

This will not be one of the most popular theories but it could be both. Causing Goff to be a historic bust. Neither is mutually exclusive. Now, even though I wrote that, I'm gonna hope that Fisher's old style home cookin' will end us up with a well seasoned rookie QB who won't implode in his first game.

My Sources

UDFA
My take on the difference between the handling of QBs boils down to one thing. Opportunity.

I'm willing to bet that if someone had offered us a first rounder for Keenum, Goff would have been starting week one as well.

Beyond that, it's impossible to make a comparison, as Goff hasn't seen real action. Wentz has looked good in his limited time though.
I don't think it's that hard to make a comparison and it's painful at this stage. Wentz comes out and exceeds expectations against real NFL talent, while our guy looks horrible against second and third stringers during the preseason. Not that Goff won't be good, but at this point I'd be more comfortable with a guy who is good.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Let's not forget that this same offensive system took Alex Smith and made him into a legit starter (you could argue that was happening the year before), made an aging Michael Vick and Jeff Garcia into a decent to good starters, made Kevin Kolb trade-worthy, and will probably resurrect Foles career before the end of the decade.

God, I wish we had this system/coaches.

RAMSinLA

Hall of Fame
Keenum played well enough to win the game. He made some real good throws. Is he the future? no but as long as he plays well enough to win we will not see Goff...I'm betting Goff hopes Case wins around 8 games straight so he has time to get ready. As far as the Fish is concerned, it looks like we are going to be stuck with him so I will not comment on him.

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams need to bring in a top notch coach to teach Goff. You can't have a guy looking for his masters degree and being coached by an elementary school teacher.

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wentz was pretty impressive last night . I didn't see one weakness in his game plus he's not afraid to take chances. You have to be able to take chances in this league to make it to the next level .Sorry but Keenum has met his ceiling and no one is impressed. Let's see what the kid has sooner than later or each weak we will be saying what if . They traded all those picks to win now so why not do it . I wanted Wentz because of his size , but I'm all in on Goff so put him in Fisher because Keenum has 7-9 written all over him.

My Sources

UDFA
Rams need to bring in a top notch coach to teach Goff. You can't have a guy looking for his masters degree and being coached by an elementary school teacher.
I don't get why Snead gets a free ride. He's just as responsible, or more so, than Fish, as he's the guy who's supposed to draft the players. It was on his watch that the WR position was essentially ignored. He also had all the picks in the world available to draft a QB after the RGIII deal. He should never have had to give up the farm to get a QB. Lets all hope that Goff turns out to be a game changing QB.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The real part that few are saying, is that a Carson Wentz failure would make us less insecure about Goff not playing, and whether we made the right decision. But now Wentz is playing adequately as he gains experience....this last game was on the road, 2nd game win for the rookie, and that's damn impressive. He is making it less comfortable to see what we have in Goff, fearing that we screwed the pooch...lol

All we can do is wait to see if Goff is the franchise QB we have been waiting for since Warner. ..or...the QB that gets everybody fired and the franchise set back for 5-10 years...NO PRESSURE :fuelfire:

tbux

Rookie
Wentz is not only starting, but he's winning games and impressing in the process. He looks like he's been in the league for a year or two, already.

Goff has only been active in one game and has not seen a single snap. Moreover, Fisher seems willing to wait indefinitely to start Goff when he's "ready". Fans are speculating maybe game 5, maybe after the bye, maybe not until next year. WTH?

I'm frustrated...

1) S&F picked the wrong QB. If so, this will be a career killing decision for both. Unless it is learned that Fisher is the one that insisted on Goff over the recommendations of Snead. In that case, only Fisher's career would be destroyed while Snead's would still be damaged. There is no greater personnel mistake than picking the wrong QB at #1 overall.

2) The coaching and prep by the Rams for Goff is hopelessly inferior to that of the Eagle coaching staff for Wentz. I'm leaning in this direction, myself. Fisher does not have a stellar record of selecting and quickly developing skill position players on O.

Neither of the above two alternatives is reassuring to me. How about you?

Like I said. I'm frustrated...

How about option 3? Goff simply isn't ready yet mentally? why does it have to be a mistake? why does it have to be a coaching error? Maybe, just maybe he had a steeper learning curve, is younger and isn't quite there yet but when he is will be as good or better? hmmm

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
How about option 3? Goff simply isn't ready yet mentally? why does it have to be a mistake? why does it have to be a coaching error? Maybe, just maybe he had a steeper learning curve, is younger and isn't quite there yet but when he is will be as good or better? hmmm

I like your fire there tbux

sup

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Wentz's biggest flaw might be his style. He plays a little reckless like RGIII as he took a lot of nasty hits last night and he has not exactly been durable in his young career thus far.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Regardless, Fisher, Boras, and Weinke failed put Goff in a position to succeed as a QB in this early part of the season

How do you figure that? Because they didn't do what you thought they should?

He wasn't ready, the rest of the team was far ahead of what he could do, Keenum was to far ahead of him to just say fuck it and put Goff in. Bringing him along slowly might not be what some fans want but there is no evidence to support your claim. But there is evidence to back their position that he was not ready to start the season as this team's QB

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
too early to conclude this. People are downplaying Weinke and not even mentioning Groh in this equation.

Is Roseman, Peterson and Reich better at drafting and developing a young QB than Snead, Fisher and Boras? So far, regretfully, not even close. Worst part for me is I live in Philly market and will watch this play out over the next 10 years, first hand. I see the two as Rivers, Manning. If Wentz is a better all around QB and Goff wins Superbowls, I will be more than fine with the Ram selection.
Jersey. Really? Two games into Montana? Bust. Rode the pine. Two games into Brady? Bust. Rode the pine. Rogers? Bust. Etc. It is hard for me to be patient with all this, too. But we need to be patient.

I am in the Whiner market. They will be making sport of the Rams for a while after last Monday. And Goff on the bench is their cherry on top. "Our win over Seattle was a fluke." They believe they have a good shot this week since we beat them.

Or.

They said they were gonna bring him along slowly, and they're staying true to their word.

Nothing to see here.
ditto.

There were quite a few of us that liked Wentz, but we drafted Goff, so I am rooting big time for him. Someone compared their coaching staff to ours in regards to experience in training QBs and it wasn't close. It was clear from the start that Wentz would be game ready a lot sooner due to his college experience, so we should hold off on the comparisons for a while longer before pass judgement.
I was a Wentz guy, too. But last I checked, we drafted Goff. I am all in. I love some of the throws he made in pre-season. He is going to do well.

I guess they are just leaving out the part about Chris Weinke being a Heisman Trophy winning College QB? Nah, they wouldn't do that just to throw more shade on his coaching situation.

Or teaming up with John Madden to form the IMG academy.
ditto.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wentz is not only starting, but he's winning games and impressing in the process. He looks like he's been in the league for a year or two, already.

Goff has only been active in one game and has not seen a single snap. Moreover, Fisher seems willing to wait indefinitely to start Goff when he's "ready". Fans are speculating maybe game 5, maybe after the bye, maybe not until next year. WTH?

I'm frustrated...

Neither of the above two alternatives is reassuring to me. How about you?

Like I said. I'm frustrated...

I have a third option:
3) It has taken Goff longer than expected to get the scheme down. But when he does, he'll still end up being a better player than Wentz.

I don't know if it's true. I have my doubts. Y'all know my thoughts on Goff's readiness. But it's a very viable third option.

P.S. Aaron Rodgers looked awful in his first preseason, sat on the bench for years, and became the best QB in football. So let's hold our horses on jumping to conclusions based on which QB got "it" earlier. RGIII got "it" earlier than Andrew Luck did. Which guy would you rather have today?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I have a third option:
3) It has taken Goff longer than expected to get the scheme down. But when he does, he'll still end up being a better player than Wentz.
Prolly. And in an entirely different way.

Ramfansince79

Rookie
Name
Ramsfan79
Here, I'll answer your post:

Wentz is more physically ready and he played in a pro style offense where he worked under center and called plays.

Goff needs to add some bulk, learn how to play under center and call plays. Playing QB in the NFL is not easy.

I don't understand the big fuc**** rush anyway, the NFL is littered with QB's that played too early, got smashed, and had shitty careers.

Lets get our line some time to gel, give the kid some time to develop and then he can play. I want him around for the next ten years, not get crushed and have his confidence ruined because a bunch of blowhards don't know shit about football.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Here, I'll answer your post:

Wentz is more physically ready and he played in a pro style offense where he worked under center and called plays.

Goff needs to add some bulk, learn how to play under center and call plays. Playing QB in the NFL is not easy.

I don't understand the big fuc**** rush anyway, the NFL is littered with QB's that played too early, got smashed, and had crappy careers.

Lets get our line some time to gel, give the kid some time to develop and then he can play. I want him around for the next ten years, not get crushed and have his confidence ruined because a bunch of blowhards don't know crap about football.
Nice. You don't have to censor your words either.
We're all okay with it. And those who aren't can turn on the board censor feature.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
S&F picked the wrong QB.

Well that's the feeling of many when looking at Wentz and Goff at the moment. I heard an Eagle fan on Sirius radio asking "where are all those guys who said Goff was better than Wentz?". It's a good feeling for Eagle fans and a bitter one for Ram fans.....at the moment. But.....it's been 2 games. Wentz has looked good. A couple of things though. Against Cleveland Wentz had 2 TDs and 278 yards (7.5 y/att) along with 2 fumbles. Against the Bears he had 190 yards (5.6 y/att) and 1 TD. They were both wins. Let's see how fans react with those same numbers and an "L" on the ledger. I'm betting it won't be the same way. Also, let's see what he does over the course of the year (or both of them for that matter). However, the way Wentz is throwing his body around he'll be lucky to make it to mid season.