Such a contrast between Eagle and Ram handling of their rookie QB's...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Wentz is not only starting, but he's winning games and impressing in the process. He looks like he's been in the league for a year or two, already.

Goff has only been active in one game and has not seen a single snap. Moreover, Fisher seems willing to wait indefinitely to start Goff when he's "ready". Fans are speculating maybe game 5, maybe after the bye, maybe not until next year. WTH?

I'm frustrated...

I see only 2 possibilities to explain this current rookie QB state of affairs.

1) S&F picked the wrong QB. If so, this will be a career killing decision for both. Unless it is learned that Fisher is the one that insisted on Goff over the recommendations of Snead. In that case, only Fisher's career would be destroyed while Snead's would still be damaged. There is no greater personnel mistake than picking the wrong QB at #1 overall.

2) The coaching and prep by the Rams for Goff is hopelessly inferior to that of the Eagle coaching staff for Wentz. I'm leaning in this direction, myself. Fisher does not have a stellar record of selecting and quickly developing skill position players on O.

Neither of the above two alternatives is reassuring to me. How about you?

Like I said. I'm frustrated...

jap

Legend
They can tailor the offense to Jared's strengths by going to the shotgun as Jrry suggested, then slowly work him into using the under the center approach. However, he still has to get at least comfortable with the playbook---even a reduced one---the play calls, and establishing rapport with his targets. For Todd's maximum effectiveness alone, Jared needs to get on the field.

Bruce2980

Starter
They can tailor the offense to Jared's strengths by going to the shotgun as Jrry suggested, then slowly work him into using the under the center approach. However, he still has to get at least comfortable with the playbook---even a reduced one---the play calls, and establishing rapport with his targets. For Todd's maximum effectiveness alone, Jared needs to get on the field.
There is a much simpler way to call plays than what the Rams are doing, no point in reciting the LA phone book for a simple run play, as noted in the short interview below. This method of calling a play is absolutely asinine. And any competent coaching staff is going to do exactly what you suggested and that is designing the offense around your players.
View: http://www.therams.com/news-and-events/article-1/Keenum-Goes-On-Air-with-Ryan-Seacrest/cefed7d4-8f45-4d05-8631-1aaaa3f398be

Bruce2980

Starter
Wentz is not only starting, but he's winning games and impressing in the process. He looks like he's been in the league for a year or two, already.

Goff has only been active in one game and has not seen a single snap. Moreover, Fisher seems willing to wait indefinitely to start Goff when he's "ready". Fans are speculating maybe game 5, maybe after the bye, maybe not until next year. WTH?

I'm frustrated...

1) S&F picked the wrong QB. If so, this will be a career killing decision for both. Unless it is learned that Fisher is the one that insisted on Goff over the recommendations of Snead. In that case, only Fisher's career would be destroyed while Snead's would still be damaged. There is no greater personnel mistake than picking the wrong QB at #1 overall.

2) The coaching and prep by the Rams for Goff is hopelessly inferior to that of the Eagle coaching staff for Wentz. I'm leaning in this direction, myself. Fisher does not have a stellar record of selecting and quickly developing skill position players on O.

I agree with the options of 1 and 2 but I would add 3. the possibility of an unnecessarily complicated system of calling plays. For someone that has never called plays to be thrust into this madness is maddening. But Goff supposedly has a photographic memory so I don't know.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Everyone knew that Wentz was supposed to be the more "Pro-Ready" of the two in the Draft because of the Style Offence he had in College!
But Goff is supposed to be the more athletic. We'll see how the Season Turns out!
It may not be too much longer, until we see Goff, IF the Team doesn't start Scoring Points!!

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
I agree with the options of 1 and 2 but I would add 3. the possibility of an unnecessarily complicated system of calling plays. For someone that has never called plays to be thrust into this madness is maddening. But Goff supposedly has a photographic memory so I don't know.

My option #3 is that Goff has superior accuracy, pocket movement, and a more compact release than Wentz but he came from a less translatable system, is not as football smart as Wentz, and the Ram offense as a whole is inferior to the Eagles regardless of QB. I personally wanted Wentz and Goff's development is no surprise to me...I called it before the draft.

With that said, Goff has all the tools necessary to become a franchise QB. Those who count on Keenum's demise as a reason to insert Goff don't understand Fisher's reasoning. We all know what Case does and does not offer. It's when Jared's development in commanding THIS offense exceeds Case's that we will see him under center.

Though I preferred Wentz, it's way too early for me to honestly say Snisher picked the wrong man. In fact, I earnestly pray I am wrong.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer

After 2 games? Did you watch last night, all Carson did was dink and dunk with the occasional mid range throw. Nothing special. Besides, all reports were that Carson was more pro ready anyway, but Jared had huge potential.

Simply not true.

Steve McNair
Eddie George
Kevin Dyson
Derrick Mason
LenDale White
Chris Johnson
Kenny Britt (did you know he had 9 TDs his 2nd year?)
Tavon Austin
Todd Gurley

Others:

Even with Vince Young got to the playoffs.
Tre Mason (he had a good 2nd season, not Jeff's fault for his issues)
We won't know what Stedman could have been.
Sam Bradford had his best years under Jeff Fisher. In 2012 and 2013 pre-ACL.

JerseyRam1

Rookie
Is Roseman, Peterson and Reich better at drafting and developing a young QB than Snead, Fisher and Boras? So far, regretfully, not even close. Worst part for me is I live in Philly market and will watch this play out over the next 10 years, first hand. I see the two as Rivers, Manning. If Wentz is a better all around QB and Goff wins Superbowls, I will be more than fine with the Ram selection.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
Option 3

Goff was unprepared due to a 7 on 7 high school offense run at Cal

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Or.

They said they were gonna bring him along slowly, and they're staying true to their word.

Nothing to see here.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim

I'm frustrated...

Seriously, do you even consider the level of play and their experiences coming out of college? Goff never took snaps under center that alone should tell you he's got a long way to go, never called plays, never made adjustments, blah blah blah blah blah.

Is there a possibility that Goff will be the better player over his career? Apparently that is another thing you don't consider. 2 games into their careers no one knows the answer but it is certainly possible.

Quit slobbering for the instant gratification and let Goff have a chance to get his shit together and get on the field.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Everyone knew that Wentz was supposed to be the more "Pro-Ready" of the two in the Draft because of the Style Offence he had in College!
But Goff is supposed to be the more athletic.
Not true....several prominent members IN HERE stated Goff was MORE PRO READY!!!! I know who one is...and if he reads this he may comment....water under the bridge now.....Also, Wentz IS more athletic...his 40 time was the 2nd fastest among QB's...that dude with SF is the fastest...With Wentz, Goff, and Cook also surprisingly fast...So was Lynch...Lynch had the strongest arm...followed by the guy at Ohio St....then Wentz....

Goff isn't ready because Fish doesn't want him to play...Dude is TOO SMALL...he'd break....that's my story (opinion) and I'm sticking to it.....

99Balloons

Pro Bowler
Name
G
I think both QBs are great. Had Wentz been picked by the Rams first instead of Goff, would he flourish?

Wentz have great receivers to throw to and the Eagles have an overall better Offensive depths than the Rams. Eagle WRs can separate and run their routes.

The Rams WRs don't strike fear in any defense. And had Wentz been a Ram, he probably would have been in the same situation as Goff.

As of now, until the Rams get some WRs who can separate, run the routes, block and know offensive plays and an OC who can utilize the strenghths of their WRs to the max, no QB is going to be flourish in this system.

An example of a QB who I think found a home and system to blossom in is Sam Bradford with the Vikings because he's got receivers (Stefon Diggs, et al) and an OC in Norv Turner who knows how to exploit NFL defenses.

KDS73

Rookie
After 2 games? Did you watch last night, all Carson did was dink and dunk with the occasional mid range throw. Nothing special.

Really? That deep pass that was dropped by Matthews could not have been thrown any better. I think you're seeing only what you want to see really. Being a qb is more than just throwing the ball. He has to to be a field general that takes control of the offense. He has to recognize what the defense is showing and make changes at the LOS. He has to command the respect of his teammates. Carson is showing that he has all of that, and has it in spades. If you're not seeing anything special out of him while watching him play, then you're clearly in the minority with that opinion. Guy looks nothing like a rookie out there. Only rookie he reminds me of is a young Elway.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not to throw gasoline on a fire... but Prescott is adapting pretty well... that coaching staff seems to have a lot of confidence in him.

lordbannon

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My take on the difference between the handling of QBs boils down to one thing. Opportunity.

I'm willing to bet that if someone had offered us a first rounder for Keenum, Goff would have been starting week one as well.

Beyond that, it's impossible to make a comparison, as Goff hasn't seen real action. Wentz has looked good in his limited time though.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Not true....several prominent members IN HERE stated Goff was MORE PRO READY!!!! I know who one is...and if he reads this he may comment....water under the bridge now.....Also, Wentz IS more athletic...his 40 time was the 2nd fastest among QB's...that dude with SF is the fastest...With Wentz, Goff, and Cook also surprisingly fast...So was Lynch...Lynch had the strongest arm...followed by the guy at Ohio St....then Wentz....

Goff isn't ready because Fish doesn't want him to play...Dude is TOO SMALL...he'd break....that's my story (opinion) and I'm sticking to it.....
Well, let me just say, I know for a Fact @Mojo Ram and @-X- wanted Wentz too!! We all had our Good and Valid reasons too!