Such a contrast between Eagle and Ram handling of their rookie QB's...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Still not a fan of the trade, but what's done is done.

Anyway, for those of us who believe the Rams selected the wrong QB even prior to these guys playing one down, there's not going to be anything that changes the view that Snead/Fisher picked the wrong QB until Goff plays and does well and/or Wentz implodes.

In the end, even if we disagree, most will support and/or defend whoever is on the team no matter the alternatives. We supported and defended Brian Quick who was selected ahead of Alshon Jeffery until it just couldn't be done anymore (which didn't take too long). The same was done for that ridiculous (IMO) trade up for Tavon Austin while we watched DeAndre Hopkins flourish. And we will do the same with Goff until we see what he does vs. Wentz on the field.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Here, I'll answer your post:

Wentz is more physically ready and he played in a pro style offense where he worked under center and called plays.

Goff needs to add some bulk, learn how to play under center and call plays. Playing QB in the NFL is not easy.

I don't understand the big fuc**** rush anyway, the NFL is littered with QB's that played too early, got smashed, and had crappy careers.

Lets get our line some time to gel, give the kid some time to develop and then he can play. I want him around for the next ten years, not get crushed and have his confidence ruined because a bunch of blowhards don't know crap about football.

I don't agree. There are two QBs that I'd say that arguably happened to. Both were on expansion teams. Unless you've got an all time bad team, the QB can handle it. If he's not good enough, he's not good enough.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Or.

They said they were gonna bring him along slowly, and they're staying true to their word.

Nothing to see here.

They never said that, they said he was starting all the preseason games and would start week one.

:yay:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-top-10-rookies-through-nfl-week-2/
1. Carson Wentz, QB, Eagles
We’re not going to crown Carson Wentz just yet—a lot of quarterbacks are going to looks like All-Pros against the Browns and Bears this year—but if Rookie of the Year voting were to end today, it wouldn’t be particularly close. Wentz isn’t just the highest-graded rookie, he’s the highest graded quarterback in the entire league. His stats aren’t overwhelming (they’d look better if he didn’t have the second-most yards lost through the air due to drops, with 89), but he’s doing so many things well that it seems incredible there were so many skeptics during draft season—myself included.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
Here, I'll answer your post:

I don't understand the big fuc**** rush anyway, the NFL is littered with QB's that played too early, got smashed, and had crappy careers. I want him around for the next ten years, not get crushed and have his confidence ruined because a bunch of blowhards don't know crap about football.

Well hot fcking damn Ramsfansince79... I guess you answered this post with a KABOOM!. I think 43, like many is just concerned/frustrated that Fisher and his offensive staff might/possibly/could be slowing the growth of JG for what ever miscellaneous reasons that many have mentioned on the forum.

Speculation, Frustration and Impatience is human nature when your team selects a QB number 1 overall and he's taking longer than some expected to win the job over a journeyman backup.

Anyway I'm not rebutting your answer and I agree that those that just want the skinny 21 year old kid from California to start asap just because 2 other rookies are looking good doesn't justify the demand.

I will not dispute the fact that Wentz and Dak were much better prepared coming out of college regardless of what NFL coaching staffs they ended up with. Goff is worth the wait in my personal opinion and no matter what the reasons are for him needing the extra time, I have excepted it for what it is.

I just recently seen a replay of Jon Gruden's prediction right before the season started about JG. He projected 4 or 5 weeks into the season was the minimum time frame Goff would need be ready to start a game in 2016.

Gruden had a pretty good read on Goff coming out of college and I think if he was the Rams HC, he likely wouldn't have started Goff the first few games of the season himself.

These rookie quarterbacks Wentz and Dak are tearing it up so far and one or both of them may end up being long term all pro NFL QB's.

Watching them succeed so early makes the wait a little harder to stomach but I'm fine with waiting until week 5,6,7 or 8 if that's what it takes to make sure he's prepared to lead this team and not make a comedy of errors costing the Rams valuable wins.

______________________________________________Goff is a slow starter
tumblr_nu7li1Mk8q1u9mlrzo2_400.gif
___
tumblr_nu7li1Mk8q1u9mlrzo4_400.gif

______
FSGAdeL.gif

Last edited:

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Sorry, but your link failed to address any of this:

Wentz has already proven that he's accurate from both short and long range, so I don't why it even matters to you that most of his passes were short for this game. Whatever their game plan was, it worked

I'm not denying his performance Monday night. Watch the video I posted. Most of his throws were high %. Snap, look one way, and bam right at the receiver. He didn't need to scan the field that much or constantly change plays or make adjustments (at least that I could tell). Even the announcers mentioned this. It's not a negative, its just what it is. Watch Carson's game and then watch how Sam Bradford played:

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/20160...ameinfo|contentId:0ap3000000705553&tab=videos

Two totally different types. Carson's was quick release, Sam's plays needed for time to develop. There's a difference.

I must be watching a different QB. All I see is a guy that has all the tools and plays like a vet. IMO, this puts major pressure on management for Goff to succeed. If they blew this and gave up the farm, heads should roll.

I sincerely doubt management cares about pressure from what another team did with their QB.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
(On if the decision on when to start Goff will be based on how he’s doing in practice or how Keenum is performing in the games)

“It’s based on a lot of different things. When he’s under center, you’ll know. Keep asking it every week if you want. You can ask it again, if you want.”

OregonRamsFan

All Horned Up
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This.

And I would also add that had we played the Browns at home followed by the Bears with 8 days to prepare.....we'd be 2-0 with Goff starting.

Whatever we think of the Niners, playing a road Monday nighter where there'd be a hostel crowd is not exactly conducive to success for a rookie QB. With our road heavy schedule concluding with a game in London, I wouldn't be surprised if Fisher was planning on starting Goff after the bye regardless of how the season unfolds (unless of course Keenum is lighting it up by then).
Nope. I don't think our coaching would have gotten us to 2-0 with Goff in there. I just don't agree.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
I agree they were always going to bring him around slowly, but I wouldn't necessarily say that there is nothing to see. The long term success for spread QBs in the NFL is troubling. Now Fisher may say instead of turning Goff into RGIII, let's fix his problems in practice, then put him on the field as opposed to put him on the field and play to his strengths and never fix his weaknesses cause by the college spread offense.

It's always nerve racking drafting a spread QB, because the NFL game is so different and no matter how much arm talent you have, if you can't read the field or grasp complex concepts, you won't amount to much. So until Goff hits the field you can't really judge him or compare him because I believe Fisher was always going to bring him along slowly.

I'm also concerned that he doesn't fit the ground and pound Fisher conservaball. I think Wentz fit that profile much better. I wonder if Goff will ever fit this offense.

Agree you can't judge him yet. But IMO Goff can read the field and grasp complex concepts. And he can throw the ball, quickly, accurately, and with velocity. Fisher is protecting him until he is ready, as Silver said even to Fisher's own detriment. He's doing it because Goff's good and has a great future, not because he's bad. The forum is hyperventilating just as the entire country seems to do at every opportunity.

ninedeuce

Rookie
Perhaps Fisher means physically ready when he says "ready." Cleary Wentz (born Dec 30, 1992) is just more physically ready at this point than Goff (born Oct 14, 1994) for NFL size/speed grown ass man type of punishment. Wentz took some serious hits against the Bears and he didn't seem to flinch. Anyone who watched Hard Knocks saw that Goff needs a whole lot of bulking up. It's probably not a factor but I'll throw it out there.

Last edited:

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Perhaps Fisher means physically ready when he says "ready." Cleary Wentz (born Dec 30, 1992) is just more physically ready at this point than Goff (born Oct 14, 1994) for NFL size/speed grown ass man type of punishment. Wentz took some serious hits against the Bears and he didn't seem to flinch. Anyone who watched Hard Knocks saw that Goff needs a whole lot of bulking up. It's probably not a factor but I'll throw it out there.

There has to be some reason. It's certainly not because case is playing lights out.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
If you've ever played the position before you know how much mental gymnastics each presnap is. You have to remember the play, either the route trees, or which side the run is going to. Then you have to remember your snap count. Then you have to remember footwork, whether you're dropping for a pass, or the footwork to get to the handoff.

When I started just in High School I made some of the mistakes you saw from Goff in preseason (dropped snaps, and the like.) I couldn't imagine playing for as long as he has, then switching to a pro-style offense and having to relearn all that stuff. Plus, he has to memorize the dead language that is Fisher's playbook. Seriously Boras, simplify the verbiage of that damn thing.

The kid will be fine. It was just obvious that he was overwhelmed. Once he's completely comfortable, he'll knock it out of the park.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
can't they BOTH be good?....I wanted Wentz, but I believe Goff will be good...perhaps a bit more fragile.

They can both be good and, hopefully, will be but lets not ignore the real key issue here.......

The leather-clad redhead in your avatar. Who is she? :bow:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Andy Reid is who Doug Pederson has been coaching with for several years now. Reid's form of west coast offense is easy to learn and operate compared to most other offenses. It allows Alex Smith to look like a perennial all-pro.
It made McNabb look good. Wentz had the easier road when it came to being able to start, plus he had a head start due to the offense that he ran in college.

Goff has to learn the pro game almost from scratch, and the Rams offensive system is FUBAR. Fisher needs to find a competent and experienced OC, and hand him the reigns. Until that happens the Rams won't ever have a good, by NFL standards, offense.

Please hire Greg Roman, please.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Nope. I don't think our coaching would have gotten us to 2-0 with Goff in there. I just don't agree.

Which is fine. I'm not particularly fond of our coaching staff these days myself.

But there is a HUGE difference between playing the Browns at home to start the year and then having 8 days to prepare for a road game against a subpar opponent, versus playing a late Monday night road game against a division rival and then having 6 days to prepare for one of the best teams in the NFL.

I personally think we would be 2-0 with their schedule.